|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 31, to whose house does Charlie go on Sunday rather than to church?
2. What is the first thing Charlie notices as being wrong with Sims' story?
(a) He did not come forward sooner.
(b) He is a known liar.
(c) He is not a good witness.
(d) He is a drunk.
3. Charlie learns that Earl has made what claims against the prison system?
(a) They have treated him unfairly.
(b) They are at fault for his injury.
(c) They have failed to treat his health problems.
(d) They are holding him without benefit of trial.
4. Charlie learns in Chapter 24 that his deputy has not been able to locate ________ all day.
(a) Miles Ryan.
(b) Otis Timson.
(c) Sims Addison.
(d) Earl Getlin.
5. What kind of car was the unnamed narrator driving the night of Missy's death?
(a) Ford Mustang.
(b) Pontiac Bonneville.
(c) Lincoln Towncar.
(d) Cadillac Coup de Ville.
6. In Chapter 24, where does Jonah spend the evening after Otis' arrest?
(a) In front of the television.
(b) With Mrs. Knowlson.
(c) With Sarah.
(d) At the movies with Mark.
7. What failed to happen after Sims Addison's arrest?
(a) No copies of the report could be found.
(b) No report was filed.
(c) He disappeared.
(d) He became ill.
8. In Chapter 32, Sarah meets Brian on Monday morning at the __________.
(a) Police station.
(d) Court house.
9. Miles questions Brian's sudden need to tell the truth because _______________.
(a) He waited two years.
(b) His story does not fit the facts.
(c) His story blames Missy for her own death.
(d) He seems to be looking for attention.
10. Who is Bennie Wiggins?
(a) A retired school teacher.
(b) A church van driver.
(c) A bus driver.
(d) A taxi cab driver.
11. What does the narrator say was his first reaction to hitting Missy?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He ran into a fence.
(c) He screamed.
(d) He called the police.
12. What detail of the accident does Brian mention that finally gets Miles' attention?
(a) The rock that killed Missy.
(b) The blanket.
(c) The logo on Missy's t-shirt.
(d) The location of the accident.
13. At what other places does the narrator admit to watching Miles and Jonah other than their home?
(a) Jonah's school and Missy's grave.
(b) Jonah's babysitter and church.
(c) The store and the sheriff's office.
(d) The store and church.
14. What makes Sarah think that Otis Timson might be in danger from Miles?
(a) Miles' previous behaviors.
(b) Miles' open threats against Otis.
(c) Miles' attitude and anger toward Otis.
(d) Miles' told her so.
15. In Chapter 19, why does Miles slam on the brakes in his car while returning to town?
(a) To make Otis be quiet.
(b) To make a tight turn.
(c) To avoid a wild hog.
(d) To avoid a speed trap.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 28, what does the narrator say has become his weekly habit since Missy's death?
2. In Chapter 22, who meets Charlie at the gates of Hailey State Prison?
3. Whom does Miles accuse of screwing up the investigation into Missy's death?
4. In Chapter 16, what does the unnamed narrator say his destination was the night of Missy's death?
5. Where does Miles go after leaving the sheriff's office?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)