|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sarah say about Sims' and Earl's testimony concerning Otis' supposed confession?
(a) They did not hear such a thing.
(b) Otis was joking, and they knew it.
(c) Someone else must have said it.
(d) They heard it wrong.
2. In Chapter 20, what does Charlie tell Miles to do for the rest of the day?
(a) Go over the witness testimonies in Missy's case.
(b) Go home.
(c) Find Sims Addison.
(d) Find Otis Timson.
3. What decision does Charlie make about Miles' job?
(a) He places him on suspension.
(b) He demotes Miles to a desk job.
(c) He fires him.
(d) He decides to allow Miles to continue working.
4. How does Sarah react to Brian's description of the actual accident?
(a) With shock.
(b) With fascination.
(c) With boredom.
(d) With understanding.
5. In Chapter 32, Sarah meets Brian on Monday morning at the __________.
(a) Court house.
(c) Police station.
6. What does the narrator say was his first reaction to hitting Missy?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He ran into a fence.
(c) He screamed.
(d) He called the police.
7. In Chapter 24, who is waiting outside for Charlie when he returns to the sheriff's office?
(b) Clyde Timson.
(c) Madge, the secretary.
(d) The D.A.
8. What does the narrator see Miles fail to do with Jonah while he is watching them after Missy's death?
(a) Care for his hygiene.
(b) Comfort him.
(c) Make him go to bed.
(d) Speak to him.
9. Charlie finds out that Earl has suffered what injury in prison?
(a) He lost a foot.
(b) He lost an ear.
(c) He lost a finger.
(d) He lost an eye.
10. In Chapter 31, what one reason does Sarah remind Miles of to keep him from killing Otis?
(a) He cannot survive jail.
(b) Jonah is all he has.
(c) Missy would not want him to go to jail to avenge her death.
(d) She needs him.
11. What one question does Sarah ask Brian before taking him to tell Miles the truth?
(a) Are you ready to go to jail?
(b) Are you ready to die?
(c) Are you telling the truth?
(d) Was it an accident?
12. In Chapter 23, how long after Missy's death does the narrator say he began watching Miles and Jonah at home?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Six days.
13. In Chapter 24, how does Sarah try to distract Miles from the accusations against Otis Timson?
(a) With a movie.
(b) With a homemade meal.
(c) With a walk.
(d) With a trip to a restaurant.
14. Who/what keeps Miles from committing murder?
(d) The memory of Missy.
15. What failed to happen after Sims Addison's arrest?
(a) He became ill.
(b) He disappeared.
(c) No report was filed.
(d) No copies of the report could be found.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator believe Miles has stopped looking at the case file on Missy's case after a year?
2. In Chapter 19, who tries to stop Miles from leaving the sheriff's office?
3. Where does Miles go after leaving the sheriff's office?
4. In Chapter 32, what is the first thing about Brian's story that makes Miles realize what Brian is telling him?
5. What does the narrator think caused Missy's death?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)