|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 24, how does Sarah try to distract Miles from the accusations against Otis Timson?
(a) With a movie.
(b) With a walk.
(c) With a trip to a restaurant.
(d) With a homemade meal.
2. Charlie learns in Chapter 24 that his deputy has not been able to locate ________ all day.
(a) Otis Timson.
(b) Sims Addison.
(c) Earl Getlin.
(d) Miles Ryan.
3. How much does the unnamed narrator claim he paid for his car?
(a) Thirteen hundred dollars.
(b) Three thousand dollars.
(c) Three hundred dollars.
(d) Thirty thousand dollars.
4. What part of the story does Miles seem to think Brian is lying about?
(a) Why he was on the road that night.
(b) Whether or not he was sleeping behind the wheel.
(c) Why he ran.
(d) Why he hit Missy.
5. In Chapter 24, who is waiting outside for Charlie when he returns to the sheriff's office?
(a) Madge, the secretary.
(b) The D.A.
(c) Clyde Timson.
6. What does the narrator say he was waiting for in the weeks after Missy's death?
(a) To be attacked by Miles.
(b) To die a horrible death.
(c) To be arrested.
(d) To feel some kind of remorse.
7. What does Sarah say about Sims' and Earl's testimony concerning Otis' supposed confession?
(a) They did not hear such a thing.
(b) Otis was joking, and they knew it.
(c) Someone else must have said it.
(d) They heard it wrong.
8. In Chapter 26, why does Jonah tell Miles he does not like the case file on Missy's accident?
(a) They have pictures of sad things.
(b) They make Miles forget about him.
(c) They make Miles sad.
(d) Because he misses his mother.
9. In Chapter 32, Sarah meets Brian on Monday morning at the __________.
(a) Police station.
(c) Court house.
10. In Chapter 32, what is the first thing about Brian's story that makes Miles realize what Brian is telling him?
(a) His mention of Rhett's Barbecue.
(b) His description of the winding curves of Madame Moore's Lane.
(c) His description of Missy's clothing.
(d) His mention of the dog.
11. Charlie learns that Earl has made what claims against the prison system?
(a) They are at fault for his injury.
(b) They have failed to treat his health problems.
(c) They have treated him unfairly.
(d) They are holding him without benefit of trial.
12. In Chapter 31, what one reason does Sarah remind Miles of to keep him from killing Otis?
(a) He cannot survive jail.
(b) Missy would not want him to go to jail to avenge her death.
(c) She needs him.
(d) Jonah is all he has.
13. In Chapter 19, who confronts Miles when he reaches his destination?
(d) Clyde Timson.
14. In Chapter 26, Miles decides he needs to see ___________after leaving the sheriff's office.
15. In Chapter 24, what do Tillman and Jones accuse Miles of doing to Otis Timson?
(a) Putting a gun to his head.
(b) Beating him up.
(c) Smashing his head against the cage of his car.
(d) Breaking his fingers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car was the unnamed narrator driving the night of Missy's death?
2. In Chapter 20, what was Otis' alibi two years ago for the night of Missy's death?
3. In Chapter 34, who takes Brian to the hospital?
4. Why does Miles tell Sarah he can no longer see her?
5. In Chapter 28, what does the narrator say has become his weekly habit since Missy's death?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)