|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 24, where does Jonah spend the evening after Otis' arrest?
(a) With Sarah.
(b) In front of the television.
(c) With Mrs. Knowlson.
(d) At the movies with Mark.
2. Charlie learns that Earl has made what claims against the prison system?
(a) They have failed to treat his health problems.
(b) They are at fault for his injury.
(c) They have treated him unfairly.
(d) They are holding him without benefit of trial.
3. Who repeatedly calls to speak to Charlie after Otis Timson is arrested?
(a) Clyde Timson.
(b) The D.A.
(d) Otis' grandmother.
4. How much does the unnamed narrator claim he paid for his car?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) Thirty thousand dollars.
(c) Thirteen hundred dollars.
(d) Three thousand dollars.
5. What reason does the narrator give for leaving the scene of the crime?
(a) He was confused.
(b) He was covering up his crime.
(c) He was frightened.
(d) He needed to go home.
6. Who/what keeps Miles from committing murder?
(b) The memory of Missy.
7. Who pulls Sims Addison over after a night of drinking?
8. In Chapter 17, why does Charlie call Miles in to work early?
(a) Sims wants to speak to him.
(b) A suspect in a local crime was located.
(c) There was an accident on the highway.
(d) He needs him to do extra paperwork.
9. In Chapter 19, why does Miles slam on the brakes in his car while returning to town?
(a) To make a tight turn.
(b) To avoid a wild hog.
(c) To make Otis be quiet.
(d) To avoid a speed trap.
10. In Chapter 32, what is the first thing about Brian's story that makes Miles realize what Brian is telling him?
(a) His description of the winding curves of Madame Moore's Lane.
(b) His description of Missy's clothing.
(c) His mention of Rhett's Barbecue.
(d) His mention of the dog.
11. Why did the narrator cover Missy with a blanket?
(a) To hide her from passersby.
(b) To keep her warm.
(c) To keep others from seeing her as he had.
(d) To cover his crime.
12. In Chapter 26, what happens to Jonah in the middle of the night?
(a) He creis out for Sarah.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He has his first nightmare in weeks.
(d) He begins running a fever.
13. What does Brian bring to Missy's grave each time he visits?
(b) A wreath.
(c) A barbecue dinner.
(d) A picture of Jonah.
14. Whom does Miles accuse of screwing up the investigation into Missy's death?
(b) Everyone but himself.
(c) The highway patrol.
(d) The D.A.
15. In Chapter 20, what was Otis' alibi two years ago for the night of Missy's death?
(a) He was home with his brothers.
(b) He was in jail.
(c) He was at a wedding.
(d) He was out of town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he was waiting for in the weeks after Missy's death?
2. What does the narrator say was his first reaction to hitting Missy?
3. What kind of car was the unnamed narrator driving the night of Missy's death?
4. What does the narrator think caused Missy's death?
5. In Chapter 23, how long after Missy's death does the narrator say he began watching Miles and Jonah at home?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)