|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the unnamed narrator confess to in Chapter 10?
(a) He witnessed the accident.
(b) He loved Missy.
(c) He is a long lost relative of Missy's.
(d) He was the one who hit Missy.
2. Why does Sarah tell her mother Miles agreed to work Thanksgiving Day?
(a) He can have Christmas off.
(b) He can escape the neverending football games.
(c) They need extra help at the drunk driving checkpoints.
(d) He can enjoy the peace and quiet of the empty station.
3. In what type of school did Sarah teach before coming to New Bern?
(a) Charter schools.
(b) She did not, she was a private tutor.
(c) Inner-city schools.
(d) Private schools.
4. In Chapter 14, what reason does Sarah give for delaying introducing Miles to her family?
(a) She is afraid they will not like him.
(b) She is afraid he will not like them.
(c) She does not want to scare him off.
(d) She wants to keep him to herself.
5. How old is Miles Ryan as the book begins?
6. In Chapter 6, what excuse does Sarah learn she can use if she is ever late for an appointment again?
(a) She was on the phone with her mother.
(b) She had to deal with a discipline issue with a student.
(c) She got stuck on the bridge.
(d) She had a flat tire.
7. What object became a symbol of the love between Harris and Kathryn Presser?
(a) Six yellow roses.
(b) Two burning candles in a window.
(c) A strong oak tree.
(d) A bouquet of gladiolas.
8. In Chapter 6, what was the first thing that went wrong in Sarah's day?
(a) Several of her students had colds and coughed on her.
(b) She learned her ex-husband is re-marrying.
(c) The water heater went out, forcing her to take a cold shower.
(d) Her car had a flat tire.
9. In Chapter 2, what does Miles learn Otis Timson is claiming against him?
(b) Lying in the police report.
(c) False arrest.
(d) Police brutality.
10. In Chapter 1, what does Jonah say is the difference between the work his new teacher, Miss Andrews, assigns as compared to his previous teacher, Mrs. Hayes?
(a) Mrs. Hayes explained the lessons in a clearer manner.
(b) Mrs. Hayes' work was harder.
(c) Miss Andrews' offers less help with the work.
(d) Miss Andrews' work is harder.
11. What is the point of view of the prologue of this novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person limited.
(c) Authorial voice.
(d) Third person omniscient.
12. For what reason does Miss Harkins say Harris Presser did not join the Confederate army during the Civil War?
(a) He had a deformed foot.
(b) He was deaf.
(c) He no money for the required uniform.
(d) He was an only son and his parents asked him not to.
13. Who is Mrs. Knowlson?
(a) Miles' aunt.
(b) Miles' neighbor.
(c) Miles' cousin.
(d) Miles' former teacher.
14. In Chapter 1, what does Miles think Missy's reaction to Jonah's troubles would have been?
(a) She would have had them under control before they even happened.
(b) She would have bought Jonah a dozen tutors.
(c) She would have punished Jonah.
(d) She would have blamed the teacher.
15. In Chapter 1, what reason does Jonah give Miles for not telling him about the trouble he was having in class?
(a) He thought Miles was too busy to help him.
(b) He was embarrassed.
(c) He does not want Miles to be mad at him.
(d) He did tell Miles, Miles simply was not paying attention.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Charlie Curtis?
2. What pose do the two boys inside the abandoned house take as they make there way out to Miles?
3. What type of bushes does Miles plant in his garden to please Sarah?
4. What garment does Sarah's mother forbid her from wearing on her first date with Miles?
5. In Chapter 14, how did Miles and Sarah spend Halloween?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)