|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Miles find himself wondering about Sarah?
(a) What she looked like fresh from bed.
(b) What her morning routine was like.
(c) The kind of men she was attracted to.
(d) The kind of movies she liked to watch.
2. In what year was Jonah born?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Miles learn Otis Timson is claiming against him?
(b) Police brutality.
(c) False arrest.
(d) Lying in the police report.
4. What do the boys initially tell Miles they were hunting in the abandoned house?
5. Who had the biggest hand in restoring New Bern's historic buildings?
(a) The residents.
(b) The Rockefeller Foundation.
(c) A private corporation.
(d) The Daughter's of the Revolution.
6. What did Miles do the night Missy died instead of blowing the cut grass off the sidewalk as she had asked?
(a) Put the fish away.
(b) Made himself a snack.
(c) Took a shower.
(d) Went out with his friends.
7. What does the unnamed narrator say was the center of Missy and Miles' life?
(a) Their family.
(b) Their son.
(c) Their jobs.
(d) Their friends.
8. What is Tryon Palace?
(a) The mayor's house.
(b) Residence of the Confederate president.
(c) The governor's mansion.
(d) Residence of the colonial governor.
9. In Chapter 1, what does Miles realize he is tired of?
(a) Being a sheriff's deputy.
(b) Being a single parent.
(c) Being lonely.
(d) Being an object of pity.
10. What was the weather like the day of Missy Ryan's funeral?
11. For what reason does Sarah realize Miles had so much trouble asking her out?
(a) He does not know how.
(b) He is afraid of what people will think.
(c) He feels disloyal to Missy.
(d) He does not like her enough.
12. Who is Mrs. Knowlson?
(a) Miles' neighbor.
(b) Miles' cousin.
(c) Miles' former teacher.
(d) Miles' aunt.
13. How long does Sarah say her parents have been married?
(a) Thirty-five years.
(b) Forty years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Fifty years.
14. Where did Sarah live before moving to New Bern?
(b) New York City.
(c) Washington, D.C.
15. What does the unnamed narrator say this story is about in the prologue?
(a) Lies and deciet.
(b) Murder and intrigue.
(c) Love and forgiveness.
(d) Love and loneliness.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, how did Miles and Sarah spend Halloween?
2. What aspect of Missy's case bothers Miles the most, according to Brenda in Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 5, what item does Miles say someone placed over Missy's body in the moments after the accident?
4. In Chapter 11, where do Sarah and Miles go for their date?
5. From where does Miles hear gunfire?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)