|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Miles watch after Jonah has gone to bed?
(a) Home videos of Missy.
(b) Home videos of his mother.
(c) Home videos of drunk driving suspects.
(d) Home videos of himself as a child.
2. In Chapter 13, what does Sarah say she once enjoyed doing at the bistros in the big city?
(a) Sipping her tea and reading her paper.
(b) Eating fattening desserts.
(c) Meeting with friends.
(d) Watching the world go by.
3. What is causing the unnamed narrator to have trouble sleeping in the prologue?
(a) Thoughts of deceased family members.
(b) His wife's snoring.
(c) Thoughts of fate.
(d) A bad back.
4. In Chapter 5, what does Jonah think is causing Miles' silence in the car ride home?
(a) Miles is planning a surprise.
(b) Miss Andrews said something terrible about Jonah's behavior.
(c) Miles is angry and Jonah is in trouble.
5. Where did Sarah live before moving to New Bern?
(a) New York City.
(d) Washington, D.C.
6. Who escorted Missy Ryan's funeral hearse to the cemetery?
(a) Miles only.
(b) The fire department.
(c) Military vehicles.
(d) Every sheriff and police officer in the county.
7. What does the unnamed narrator say was the center of Missy and Miles' life?
(a) Their son.
(b) Their family.
(c) Their jobs.
(d) Their friends.
8. In Chapter 4, how many witnesses does the unnamed narrator say there were to Missy's death?
9. Who gave the eulogy at Missy Ryan's funeral?
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
10. What is the point of view of the prologue of this novel?
(a) Third person limited.
(b) Third person omniscient.
(c) First person.
(d) Authorial voice.
11. In Chapter 6, what does Sarah say makes her hate Michael so much?
(a) He never loved her.
(b) She loved him, making what happened between them worse.
(c) He humiliated her.
(d) She never liked him.
12. Who is Mrs. Knowlson?
(a) Miles' former teacher.
(b) Miles' cousin.
(c) Miles' neighbor.
(d) Miles' aunt.
13. What university does Sarah say her brother, Brian, attends?
(d) UT Austin.
14. What does Sarah give to Jonah to make up for the lack of children to play with at Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) Matchbox cars.
(b) Pokemon cards.
(c) A video game.
(d) A coloring book.
15. In Chapter 1, what does Jonah say is the difference between the work his new teacher, Miss Andrews, assigns as compared to his previous teacher, Mrs. Hayes?
(a) Miss Andrews' offers less help with the work.
(b) Mrs. Hayes' work was harder.
(c) Mrs. Hayes explained the lessons in a clearer manner.
(d) Miss Andrews' work is harder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonah sleep with every night that Missy gave him?
2. In Chapter 14, how did Miles and Sarah spend Halloween?
3. What name does Sarah give to Otis Timson as her own?
4. In Chapter 11, where do Sarah and Miles go for their date?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Miles find himself wondering about Sarah?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)