|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what item does Miles say someone placed over Missy's body in the moments after the accident?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A burlap sack.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A sheet.
2. In Chapter 3, what assumptions did Sarah make about Miles that she found to be incorrect at their first meeting?
(a) That he would be older and overweight.
(b) That he would be more of a redneck.
(c) That he would be rude and unconcerned about Jonah's schoolwork.
(d) That he would be weepy and still grieving his wife.
3. What is Tryon Palace?
(a) Residence of the colonial governor.
(b) The mayor's house.
(c) The governor's mansion.
(d) Residence of the Confederate president.
4. What name does Sarah give to Otis Timson as her own?
5. What gift does Miles bring to Sarah on their first date?
(a) A box of candy.
(b) Six yellow roses.
(c) A dozen red roses.
(d) An expensive bottle of wine.
6. In Chapter 2, why does Sarah say her parents moved to New Bern several years before she did?
(a) Her father retired.
(b) Her mother inhereted a farm.
(c) Her father took a new job.
(d) Her mother took a new job.
7. In Chapter 4, how many witnesses does the unnamed narrator say there were to Missy's death?
8. In Chapter 6, what excuse does Sarah learn she can use if she is ever late for an appointment again?
(a) She got stuck on the bridge.
(b) She was on the phone with her mother.
(c) She had to deal with a discipline issue with a student.
(d) She had a flat tire.
9. Who gave the eulogy at Missy Ryan's funeral?
(b) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
10. What does Jonah sleep with every night that Missy gave him?
(a) A baby blanket.
(b) A teddy bear.
(c) A special pillow.
(d) An action figure.
11. In Chapter 1, what is Miles doing as he sits on his back porch?
(b) Talking on the phone.
12. How does the unnamed narrator say that Missy and Miles met?
(a) At a high school party.
(b) Introduced by their parents after college.
(c) At a college frat party.
(d) Introduced by friends in high school.
13. Why does Sarah tell her mother Miles agreed to work Thanksgiving Day?
(a) He can enjoy the peace and quiet of the empty station.
(b) He can escape the neverending football games.
(c) He can have Christmas off.
(d) They need extra help at the drunk driving checkpoints.
14. How old is Sarah as the novel begins?
15. With whom does Sarah go shopping in Chapter 6?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her friend, Brenda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is causing the unnamed narrator to have trouble sleeping in the prologue?
2. How old was Jonah the day of his mother's funeral?
3. In Chapter 1, what reason does Miles give Jonah for not making pancakes for breakfast?
4. Where did Sarah live before moving to New Bern?
5. In Chapter 6, what was the first thing that went wrong in Sarah's day?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)