|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Charlie Curtis?
(a) Sarah's ex-husband.
(b) One of Sarah's students.
(c) Sheriff, Miles's boss, and Miles' friend.
(d) Principal of New Bern Elementary.
2. What name does Sarah give to Otis Timson as her own?
3. What is the point of view used in the majority of this novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Authoria voice.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) Third person limited.
4. On what type of tour do Sarah and Miles go on?
(a) A tour of expensive houses.
(b) A tour of haunted houses.
(c) A tour of historic homes.
(d) A tour of holiday decorated houses.
5. In Chapter 12, what plans does Jonah make with friends?
(a) A trip to the beach.
(b) A sleepover.
(c) A birthday party.
(d) A trip to the movies.
6. At the end of Chapter 7, how much longer does Sarah tell Miles she will continue to tutor Jonah?
(a) The rest of the year.
(b) Till the end of the semester.
(c) At least a month.
(d) A week.
7. In Chapter 1, what reason does Miles give Jonah for not making pancakes for breakfast?
(a) Pancakes are too high in carbs.
(b) They are running late.
(c) He tends to burn pancakes.
(d) Toaster waffles are easier to make.
8. What garment does Sarah's mother forbid her from wearing on her first date with Miles?
(a) Her brother's high school letter jacket.
(b) Her black lace shawl.
(c) Her long, thick green jacket.
(d) Michael's college sweater.
9. In Chapter 5, what does Miles think is the difference between his attraction to Missy and his attraction to Sarah?
(a) With Missy, it was more intense.
(b) With Missy, it was always changing, always new.
(c) With Sarah, it is new and unfamiliar.
(d) With Sarah, it is less immediate.
10. In Chapter 1, what reason does Jonah give Miles for not telling him about the trouble he was having in class?
(a) He does not want Miles to be mad at him.
(b) He did tell Miles, Miles simply was not paying attention.
(c) He was embarrassed.
(d) He thought Miles was too busy to help him.
11. In Chapter 1, what does Jonah say is the difference between the work his new teacher, Miss Andrews, assigns as compared to his previous teacher, Mrs. Hayes?
(a) Miss Andrews' offers less help with the work.
(b) Miss Andrews' work is harder.
(c) Mrs. Hayes explained the lessons in a clearer manner.
(d) Mrs. Hayes' work was harder.
12. In Chapter 1, what one reason does Miles realize is stopping him from moving on with his life since Missy's death?
(a) His obligations to his in-laws.
(c) Missy's death is still an unsolved case.
(d) The small town atmosphere and lack of single women.
13. Where did Sarah live before moving to New Bern?
(a) New York City.
(c) Washington, D.C.
14. How old is Miles Ryan as the book begins?
15. What does Sarah give to Jonah to make up for the lack of children to play with at Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) Pokemon cards.
(b) A coloring book.
(c) A video game.
(d) Matchbox cars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sarah tell her mother Miles agreed to work Thanksgiving Day?
2. In what year was Jonah born?
3. What river can Miles see from his back porch?
4. In Chapter 1, what does Miles realize he is tired of?
5. Who escorted Missy Ryan's funeral hearse to the cemetery?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)