|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salim have in his desk drawer?
2. How have Salim's ideas shifted since his affair with Yvette?
3. What happens as a backlash against the corruption?
4. What has become of Kareisha, Nazruddin's daughter whom Salim feared he might have to marry?
5. What happens at the end of Salim's visit to London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
2. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
3. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
4. What has become of Indar?
5. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
6. Why do Indar and Ferdinand both board the steamer at the same time?
7. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
8. How does Salim learn more about Raymond?
9. What was the social gaffe that got Yvette excluded for the President's social events?
10. What is the conclusion Salim draws about the relationship between Yvette and Raymond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The subject of sex is difficult to write about tastefully. However, in many novels such as A BEND IN THE RIVER, it is essential to the story line. Write an essay on how you think Naipaul handled the subject.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the importance of expressing gratitude in human relations. Use Ferdinand's short note to Salim and Metty after the threat of war subsides in the town. Explain why it is necessary to thank people who perform some service or give some gift.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of living in fear runs throughout the novel. Write an essay on how humans are affected by constant fear. Explain how you would deal with the constant threat of corrupt police, high crime, and instability of the government.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)