|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Indar show up at the steamer?
2. What is the invitation Yvette offers to Salim?
3. What did one of Indar's lecturers suggest for him?
4. How have Salim's ideas shifted since his affair with Yvette?
5. How does Salim see Mahesh as half a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
2. What was the social gaffe that got Yvette excluded for the President's social events?
3. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
4. Why does Indar think moving African intellectuals around the continent would be good for Africa?
5. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
6. Although already captivated by Yvette, why does Salim think he might not have become involved with her?
7. What is the conclusion Salim draws about the relationship between Yvette and Raymond?
8. What do Salim and Metty observe from the President's radio broadcast?
9. Why do Indar and Ferdinand both board the steamer at the same time?
10. How does Salim get away from the local situation for a while?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All through the novel there are changes in people as events unfold. Write an essay about how people and places change with the passing of time. Use either examples from the novel or personal examples of people you have known for a long time and places you have known and how they have changed after a long period of being apart.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples of ethnic food mentioned in the novel, write an essay about how different food is important to different people. Include foods that you would miss if you suddenly were denied access to them. Also discuss to what extent you would try different foods if you visit another country.
Essay Topic 3
The subject of sex is difficult to write about tastefully. However, in many novels such as A BEND IN THE RIVER, it is essential to the story line. Write an essay on how you think Naipaul handled the subject.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)