|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the invitation Yvette offers to Salim?
2. In what way is Raymond like Salim's family?
3. What is Maximes?
4. What did one of Indar's lecturers suggest for him?
5. What word does Indar say kept his spirits high when he first arrived in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
2. What is the situation between the President and Raymond?
3. Although already captivated by Yvette, why does Salim think he might not have become involved with her?
4. How does Salim learn more about Raymond?
5. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
6. Why does Indar think moving African intellectuals around the continent would be good for Africa?
7. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
8. Explain the changes that took place with Salim's shop while he was away in London.
9. How does Salim begin to compare himself with Mahesh?
10. What was the social gaffe that got Yvette excluded for the President's social events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples of ethnic food mentioned in the novel, write an essay about how different food is important to different people. Include foods that you would miss if you suddenly were denied access to them. Also discuss to what extent you would try different foods if you visit another country.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper expressing your feelings about living in a free society as opposed to the picture of life in A BEND IN THE RIVER. Enumerate the things you enjoy that Salim and the people in the town did not. Use the idea of a thirty-year-old man attending his first party where there were women present as one of your points.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about means of travel in the novel. Include the advantages and disadvantages of each. What method of travel in the novel seems most reliable? State your reasons for selecting that means as opposed to the others.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)