|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has become of Raymond and Yvette?
2. How has Salim's attitude about Indar changed?
3. What upsets Indar when he sees the fake Hindu decorations at the Indian High Commission?
4. What do Salim and Yvette enjoy at the restaurant?
5. What happens when Metty takes out the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation between the President and Raymond?
2. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
3. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
4. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
5. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
6. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
7. What do Salim and Metty observe from the President's radio broadcast?
8. Explain the basis for Indar's depression.
9. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
10. What does Indar tell Salim about his plans for his future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a two-page summary of A BEND IN THE RIVER. In your summary include only the major theme of the novel and the transformation of Salim from east coast living to his experiences in the town to his leaving at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about African religion. Use Zabeth as an example and discuss the religious significance of the carved wooden masks. Also refer to Father Huismans' interest in the religious artifacts he collects and why he thinks they are historically significant.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on your opinion about how dictatorships are formed. Use Raymond's influence over the President that saw him enter the army as a young man, rise to the top in the military, and end up taking control of the whole country. Do you agree that this is a fairly accurate depiction of how dictators gain power through the military?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)