|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the hostess Salim meets at the party?
2. Fearful of the growth of the town, what happens among the villagers?
3. Where has Salim come from as the story opens?
4. Why is Shoba fearful?
5. What does the President do at a ruined suburb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem that arises over a book?
2. Explain the change in the relationship between Salim and Metty.
3. For what is the President's complex to be used?
4. In what way is Father Huismans somewhat naive?
5. How does Ferdinand become a burden on Salim?
6. What is everyone's perception of Raymond?
7. What is the situation at the beginning of the novel?
8. Describe the reunion of Salim and Indar.
9. What makes the trip longer and more complicated?
10. How do Salim and his friend, Indar, escape the area where their families live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on your opinion about how dictatorships are formed. Use Raymond's influence over the President that saw him enter the army as a young man, rise to the top in the military, and end up taking control of the whole country. Do you agree that this is a fairly accurate depiction of how dictators gain power through the military?
Essay Topic 2
The subject of sex is difficult to write about tastefully. However, in many novels such as A BEND IN THE RIVER, it is essential to the story line. Write an essay on how you think Naipaul handled the subject.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the development of Ferdinand from the time he was sixteen-years-old until last seen in the novel as a young government official. Explain how Naipaul makes those changes and give your opinion as to how accurate he is in doing so.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)