|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has become of Indar back in Africa?
(a) He has gone into hiding.
(b) He does the lowest kind of jobs and will not take help.
(c) He is imprisoned by the President.
(d) He has opened a Hindu ashram.
2. Reading some of Raymond's articles, what does Salim conclude?
(a) That Raymond had never visited the places he wrote about
(b) That Raymond is a genius as a writer
(c) That Raymond will win the Nobel Prize for literature
(d) That Raymond's book will be a best seller
3. What news does Salim get from Uganda?
(a) Nazruddin writes that his business is flourishing.
(b) Nazruddin sends Salim a letter telling him that things are not going well.
(c) Uganda wins a United Nations recognition of excellence.
(d) The BBC reports wide spread unrest.
4. What do Salim and Yvette enjoy at the restaurant?
(a) The paintings on the wall
(b) The rich desserts
(c) The friendly staff
(d) The air conditioning and the wine
5. What causes Indar to become depressed?
(a) His time at the Domain is coming to an end.
(b) He cannot persuade Yvette to divorce Raymond.
(c) Salim does not visit him any more.
(d) He is having to take on more classes at the Domain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Indar began applying for jobs?
2. What does Yvette tell Salim about Indar?
3. What is Indar's comment about Africa?
4. How does Salim see Mahesh as half a man?
5. Where do Salim and Yvette go after the steamer gets out of sight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the changes that took place with Salim's shop while he was away in London.
2. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
3. What does Indar tell Salim about his plans for his future?
4. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
5. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
6. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
7. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
8. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
9. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
10. Why do Indar and Ferdinand both board the steamer at the same time?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)