|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Salim reply to Nazruddin?
(a) That his store burned to the ground
(b) That things are unstable in the town and country
(c) That the President has put a freeze on expansion
(d) That he is selling the store and going to London
2. What does Yvette tell Salim about Indar?
(a) That he plans on going to America
(b) That he bored her to tears
(c) He had become an encumbrance that became a habit.
(d) That he needs someone to think for him
3. Why was Indar turned down at the Indian High Commission?
(a) He is not a citizen of India.
(b) He is not a Hindu.
(c) He does not speak Hindi.
(d) He is too young.
4. What does Indar say he actually learned at the University.
(a) That he learned how to live successfully in the world
(b) That his education was profitable for him
(c) That he learned nothing
(d) That he learned enough to get a good job
5. How has Salim's attitude about Indar changed?
(a) He used to envy Indar, now he feels protective of him.
(b) He used to like Indar, now he mistrusts him.
(c) He used to like talking with Indar, now he avoids him.
(d) He used to envy Indar's style, now he thinks Indar is tasteless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Salim about Raymond?
2. What signals the end of the town's boom?
3. What is the invitation Yvette offers to Salim?
4. What is Mahesh's behavior while Shoba is gone?
5. What happens when Salim introduces Indar to Shoba and Mahesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although already captivated by Yvette, why does Salim think he might not have become involved with her?
2. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
3. How does Salim learn more about Raymond?
4. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
5. What does Indar tell Salim about his plans for his future?
6. Why do Indar and Ferdinand both board the steamer at the same time?
7. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
8. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
9. What has become of Indar?
10. What is the conclusion Salim draws about the relationship between Yvette and Raymond?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)