|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has become of Kareisha, Nazruddin's daughter whom Salim feared he might have to marry?
(a) Kareisha has gone to India and will marry a doctor.
(b) Kareisha is married to a British man and has four children.
(c) Kareisha has left the family and moved to America.
(d) Kareisha, Nazruddin's daughter, has become a pharmacist.
2. What does Yvette tell Salim about Indar?
(a) That he needs someone to think for him
(b) That he bored her to tears
(c) That he plans on going to America
(d) He had become an encumbrance that became a habit.
3. What does Salim hold onto in the face of all this corruption?
(a) He remembers how things get bad and then get better.
(b) He still believes in the power of the President.
(c) He contends that the President will appeal to the UN.
(d) He holds onto the idea of leaving the country.
4. Why does Salim close his shop for three hours the day after the affair begins?
(a) To go to the river and think
(b) To help Mahesh in the Bigburger
(c) To spend time with Yvette
(d) To rearrange his merchandise
5. What is Indar's comment about Africa?
(a) Africa is too tribal to ever form stable governments.
(b) Africa is two thousand years behind the times.
(c) Native Africans are less intelligent than the Europeans.
(d) Indar says that Africa is full of refugees who are also first generation intellectuals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Indar say about Africans abroad?
2. In what way is Raymond like Salim's family?
3. What news does Salim get from Uganda?
4. Why does Raymond think it is good that the President's book is so quickly forgotten?
5. What is Indar's problem with Shoba and Mahesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
2. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
3. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
4. What has become of Indar?
5. Explain the basis for Indar's depression.
6. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
7. Although already captivated by Yvette, why does Salim think he might not have become involved with her?
8. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
9. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
10. What is the situation between the President and Raymond?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)