|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mahesh's behavior while Shoba is gone?
(a) He tries to seduce Yvette.
(b) He never comes out of his house.
(c) He visits the brothels daily.
(d) He acts like a grieving son-in-law.
2. Why do Yvette and Raymond cease being invited to the President's functions?
(a) Raymond argues with the President's policies.
(b) Yvette refused to sleep with the President.
(c) The President has no more need for Raymond.
(d) Raymond kept talking when the President demanded silence.
3. What is Maximes?
(a) A small book written by the President.
(b) New regulations everyone is supposed to memorize.
(c) A translation of "The Sayings of Chairman Mao."
(d) Raymond's first published book.
4. How has Salim's attitude about Indar changed?
(a) He used to like Indar, now he mistrusts him.
(b) He used to envy Indar, now he feels protective of him.
(c) He used to like talking with Indar, now he avoids him.
(d) He used to envy Indar's style, now he thinks Indar is tasteless.
5. What is so surprising about Shoba going to her country when her father dies?
(a) She claims to fear her brothers.
(b) She had enough money for the ticket.
(c) She said earlier that her father died years ago.
(d) She refuses to allow Mahesh to go with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has become of Kareisha, Nazruddin's daughter whom Salim feared he might have to marry?
2. What does Salim worry about as he thinks of Yvette?
3. What happens after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
4. What is Zabeth's fear for Ferdinand?
5. Why does Indar show up at the steamer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conclusion Salim draws about the relationship between Yvette and Raymond?
2. What is a clear sign that the President is now taking charge of his own destiny?
3. Explain the basis for Indar's depression.
4. Why does Indar think moving African intellectuals around the continent would be good for Africa?
5. How does Salim get away from the local situation for a while?
6. What has become of Indar?
7. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
8. What was the social gaffe that got Yvette excluded for the President's social events?
9. What does Indar tell Salim about his plans for his future?
10. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)