|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Reading some of Raymond's articles, what does Salim conclude?
(a) That Raymond is a genius as a writer
(b) That Raymond's book will be a best seller
(c) That Raymond will win the Nobel Prize for literature
(d) That Raymond had never visited the places he wrote about
2. What amazes Salim about Raymond?
(a) His position with the President is shaky but he remains loyal.
(b) He does not seem to love Yvette.
(c) He has no ambition to leave the country.
(d) He works on plans to overthrow the President.
3. Where do Salim and Yvette go after the steamer gets out of sight?
(a) To Salim's store
(b) To a European restaurant
(c) To the Domain
(d) To find Raymond
4. What happens at the end of Salim's visit to London?
(a) He finds a job and returns to sell his store.
(b) He is robbed of everything but his return flight ticket.
(c) He severes all ties with Nazruddin and returns to Africa.
(d) He becomes engaged to Kareisha and leaves to go back to Africa.
5. How have Salim's ideas shifted since his affair with Yvette?
(a) Now he thinks Africa is perfect.
(b) He looks at everything as to how it affects him and Yvette.
(c) He plots how to take Yvette away from Raymond.
(d) He forgets all about his business.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maximes?
2. What does Salim hold onto in the face of all this corruption?
3. Where is Nazruddin thinking of moving his family?
4. What surprises Metty when Salim comes looking for him?
5. How does Salim reply to Nazruddin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salim learn more about Raymond?
2. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
3. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
4. What is the situation between the President and Raymond?
5. What do Salim and Metty observe from the President's radio broadcast?
6. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
7. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
8. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
9. Explain the changes that took place with Salim's shop while he was away in London.
10. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)