|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What signals the end of the town's boom?
(a) The Domain is closed.
(b) Noiman, a successful Greek businessman, sells out and moves to Australia.
(c) The river changes course after an earthquake.
(d) There is a datastrophic fire.
2. What does Salim hold onto in the face of all this corruption?
(a) He contends that the President will appeal to the UN.
(b) He remembers how things get bad and then get better.
(c) He holds onto the idea of leaving the country.
(d) He still believes in the power of the President.
3. What is Indar's complaint about getting a ticket on the steamer?
(a) There were rules, locked doors, and an endless checking of papers.
(b) His travel agent wanted a bribe to get his ticket.
(c) The ticket is only on standby.
(d) He is overcharged because he is not African.
4. What does Shoba do when she returns?
(a) She opens a beauty salon.
(b) She refuses to speak to Mahesh.
(c) She goes into isolation.
(d) She announces that she is pregnant.
5. Why does Indar show up at the steamer?
(a) He is afraid of flying.
(b) He decided to leave the Domain early.
(c) The President commandeered the plane he was scheduled to leave on.
(d) He did not have enough money for a plane ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salim see Mahesh as half a man?
2. What is the invitation Yvette offers to Salim?
3. What is Indar's comment about Africa?
4. How does the purser on the steamer show that he does not respect the President?
5. What happens when Salim goes to Yvette's house for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Indar think moving African intellectuals around the continent would be good for Africa?
2. Explain the changes that took place with Salim's shop while he was away in London.
3. What has become of Indar?
4. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
5. What is a clear sign that the President is now taking charge of his own destiny?
6. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
7. What is the conclusion Salim draws about the relationship between Yvette and Raymond?
8. What is the situation between the President and Raymond?
9. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
10. What indicates the end to the boom times in the town?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)