|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens as a backlash against the corruption?
(a) The squatters from the villages refuse to leave their areas.
(b) Unknown people sabatoge the Police vehicles.
(c) There are assaults on police stations and statues are toppled.
(d) A committee is sent to appeal to the President.
2. What does Salim fear is behind the letter from Nazruddin?
(a) That Nazruddin wants him to marry his daughter
(b) That Nazruddin wants his store back
(c) That Nazruddin wants to borrow money
(d) That Nazruddin is coming to live with him
3. Back in Africa, why does Salim feel sympathy for the President?
(a) After seeing Europe, he understands that the President is stupid.
(b) After seeing Europe, he wonders how the President can stand Africa.
(c) After seeing Europe, he thinks the President is right about Africa.
(d) After seeing Europe, he knows what the President is up against.
4. What surprises Metty when Salim comes looking for him?
(a) Metty thought Salim was in prison.
(b) Salim has many gifts for him.
(c) Metty thought Salim was too grand after flying to Europe.
(d) He did not expect Salim to return.
5. What does Salim notice every time he sees Yvette?
(a) She always has a different hairstyle.
(b) She looks tired.
(c) She is never wearing the same dress.
(d) She is always with Indar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Raymond think it is good that the President's book is so quickly forgotten?
2. What does Shoba do when she returns?
3. What surprising action does the President take for the town?
4. What is Maximes?
5. After lunch, what does Salim imagine about Yvette's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
2. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
3. What has become of Indar?
4. How does Salim get away from the local situation for a while?
5. Explain the changes that took place with Salim's shop while he was away in London.
6. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
7. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
8. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
9. How does Salim begin to compare himself with Mahesh?
10. What indicates the end to the boom times in the town?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)