|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group begins guided tours of the Domain?
(a) The President's Docents
(b) The Youth Guard
(c) The Town Council
(d) The Women's Auxiliary
2. How have Salim's ideas shifted since his affair with Yvette?
(a) He forgets all about his business.
(b) He looks at everything as to how it affects him and Yvette.
(c) He plots how to take Yvette away from Raymond.
(d) Now he thinks Africa is perfect.
3. How does Salim reply to Nazruddin?
(a) That his store burned to the ground
(b) That the President has put a freeze on expansion
(c) That things are unstable in the town and country
(d) That he is selling the store and going to London
4. What happens after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
(a) The young men become bandits.
(b) The President's army moves in.
(c) The Domain is closed to the public.
(d) Police and other officials start harassing people.
5. What has become of Raymond and Yvette?
(a) They committed suicide.
(b) They were deported to England.
(c) They are in prison.
(d) No one knows where they have gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. When and where does the affair between Salim and Yvette begin?
2. What is Indar's moment of insight?
3. What has happened to the European statues in the Capital city?
4. What word does Indar say kept his spirits high when he first arrived in London?
5. What does Salim notice when he gets out of the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Indar tell Salim about his plans for his future?
2. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
3. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
4. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
5. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
6. Why does Indar think moving African intellectuals around the continent would be good for Africa?
7. Although already captivated by Yvette, why does Salim think he might not have become involved with her?
8. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
9. What is a clear sign that the President is now taking charge of his own destiny?
10. How does Salim get away from the local situation for a while?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)