|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yvette tell Salim about Indar?
(a) That he needs someone to think for him
(b) That he plans on going to America
(c) He had become an encumbrance that became a habit.
(d) That he bored her to tears
2. What is Mahesh's behavior while Shoba is gone?
(a) He never comes out of his house.
(b) He acts like a grieving son-in-law.
(c) He visits the brothels daily.
(d) He tries to seduce Yvette.
3. Why is Salim released from detention to fly back to his home?
(a) He will be interrogated when he gets back to the town.
(b) His papers are all in order.
(c) Ferdinand comes to his rescue.
(d) The official keeping Salim has held up the flight and gets reprimanded.
4. What does Salim hold onto in the face of all this corruption?
(a) He holds onto the idea of leaving the country.
(b) He contends that the President will appeal to the UN.
(c) He remembers how things get bad and then get better.
(d) He still believes in the power of the President.
5. In the light of day, how does Salim see Yvette's and Raymond's house?
(a) It is different in the sunlight; everything seems faded and worn.
(b) The furniture has all been removed.
(c) It is much more lavish than he remembered it.
(d) The carpet has holes worn in it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the invitation Yvette offers to Salim?
2. What signals the end of the town's boom?
3. Why was Indar turned down at the Indian High Commission?
4. What becomes routine for Salim?
5. What does Salim have in his desk drawer?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)