|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the invitation Yvette offers to Salim?
(a) A trip to the capital
(b) Another party at the Domain
(c) A copy of Raymond's manuscript
(d) A lunch at her house the next day
2. What word does Indar say kept his spirits high when he first arrived in London?
(a) "Career" was the magic word that drove him to study hard.
(b) "University" seemed like a magic word, and Indar thought a magic life awaited him.
(c) "Education" was the word that meant the most to him.
(d) "Opportunity" was Indar's magic word in London.
3. What is Indar's moment of insight?
(a) He sees he has not marketed himself correctly.
(b) He knows without a doubt that he belongs to himself alone and would surrender his manhood to nobody.
(c) He realizes he must return to his roots to be happy.
(d) He understands that he was meant to write the African story.
4. What is so surprising about Shoba going to her country when her father dies?
(a) She claims to fear her brothers.
(b) She refuses to allow Mahesh to go with her.
(c) She said earlier that her father died years ago.
(d) She had enough money for the ticket.
5. What is the "Cult of Madonna?"
(a) The elevated position of women in the country.
(b) The shrines set up as a tribute to the President's mother.
(c) A radical religious group who brainwash believers.
(d) The state religion ordered by the President.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Indar's comment about Africa?
2. What is Indar's problem with Shoba and Mahesh?
3. What happens when Salim goes to Yvette's house for lunch?
4. What is Indar's complaint about getting a ticket on the steamer?
5. What has become of Raymond and Yvette?
Short Essay Questions
1. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
2. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
3. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
4. What indicates the end to the boom times in the town?
5. What is the situation between the President and Raymond?
6. What does Indar tell Salim about his plans for his future?
7. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
8. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
9. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
10. Why do Indar and Ferdinand both board the steamer at the same time?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)