|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Indar to become depressed?
(a) Salim does not visit him any more.
(b) He is having to take on more classes at the Domain.
(c) He cannot persuade Yvette to divorce Raymond.
(d) His time at the Domain is coming to an end.
2. What is Indar's comment about Africa?
(a) Africa is too tribal to ever form stable governments.
(b) Africa is two thousand years behind the times.
(c) Native Africans are less intelligent than the Europeans.
(d) Indar says that Africa is full of refugees who are also first generation intellectuals.
3. What happens as a backlash against the corruption?
(a) There are assaults on police stations and statues are toppled.
(b) Unknown people sabatoge the Police vehicles.
(c) The squatters from the villages refuse to leave their areas.
(d) A committee is sent to appeal to the President.
4. What is Mahesh's behavior while Shoba is gone?
(a) He visits the brothels daily.
(b) He acts like a grieving son-in-law.
(c) He never comes out of his house.
(d) He tries to seduce Yvette.
5. What does Raymond suggest is one of the President's greatest powers?
(a) Knowing who is real friends are
(b) Knowing when to pull back
(c) Looking far into the future
(d) Getting rid of his opposition
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salim have in his desk drawer?
2. What suggestion does a guest of Raymond's make to him?
3. How does Salim see Mahesh as half a man?
4. What does Shoba do when she returns?
5. What is Indar's problem with Shoba and Mahesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the basis for Indar's depression.
2. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
3. What is a clear sign that the President is now taking charge of his own destiny?
4. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
5. How does Salim get away from the local situation for a while?
6. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
7. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
8. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
9. What indicates the end to the boom times in the town?
10. Why do Indar and Ferdinand both board the steamer at the same time?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)