|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amazes Salim about Raymond?
(a) He works on plans to overthrow the President.
(b) He does not seem to love Yvette.
(c) He has no ambition to leave the country.
(d) His position with the President is shaky but he remains loyal.
2. What is so surprising about Shoba going to her country when her father dies?
(a) She said earlier that her father died years ago.
(b) She had enough money for the ticket.
(c) She refuses to allow Mahesh to go with her.
(d) She claims to fear her brothers.
3. What does Salim hold onto in the face of all this corruption?
(a) He holds onto the idea of leaving the country.
(b) He remembers how things get bad and then get better.
(c) He contends that the President will appeal to the UN.
(d) He still believes in the power of the President.
4. What distresses Salim every time he drives the car?
(a) He has to pay a raod tax to the Police.
(b) He has trouble finding petrol.
(c) He is not allowed to park anywhere.
(d) He has to show his papers over and over, and they always want money.
5. Why is Salim released from detention to fly back to his home?
(a) Ferdinand comes to his rescue.
(b) The official keeping Salim has held up the flight and gets reprimanded.
(c) He will be interrogated when he gets back to the town.
(d) His papers are all in order.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Salim introduces Indar to Shoba and Mahesh?
2. Reading some of Raymond's articles, what does Salim conclude?
3. What does Yvette tell Salim about Indar?
4. Why is Ferdinand leaving the Domain?
5. What happens when Metty takes out the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
2. Explain the changes that took place with Salim's shop while he was away in London.
3. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
4. What does Indar tell Salim about his plans for his future?
5. What is a clear sign that the President is now taking charge of his own destiny?
6. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
7. Explain Salim's obsession with Yvette.
8. Why does Indar think moving African intellectuals around the continent would be good for Africa?
9. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
10. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)