|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to the European statues in the Capital city?
(a) They have been polished to look good.
(b) They have all been moved to the President's palace.
(c) They have been replaced with statues of African tribesmen.
(d) They have been melted down for the copper.
2. What happened to Nazruddin in Canada?
(a) Nazruddin could not buy a business.
(b) Nazruddin's health could not stand the weather.
(c) Nazruddin was deported as a terrorist.
(d) Nazruddin was swindled in an oil well scheme.
3. What does Indar say he actually learned at the University.
(a) That he learned enough to get a good job
(b) That he learned nothing
(c) That his education was profitable for him
(d) That he learned how to live successfully in the world
4. How does Salim reply to Nazruddin?
(a) That he is selling the store and going to London
(b) That things are unstable in the town and country
(c) That his store burned to the ground
(d) That the President has put a freeze on expansion
5. What causes Indar to become depressed?
(a) He cannot persuade Yvette to divorce Raymond.
(b) He is having to take on more classes at the Domain.
(c) His time at the Domain is coming to an end.
(d) Salim does not visit him any more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salim hold onto in the face of all this corruption?
2. What word does Indar say kept his spirits high when he first arrived in London?
3. What is the "Cult of Madonna?"
4. What amazes Salim about Raymond?
5. What does Salim notice every time he sees Yvette?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
2. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
3. How does Salim learn more about Raymond?
4. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
5. What is a clear sign that the President is now taking charge of his own destiny?
6. What indicates the end to the boom times in the town?
7. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
8. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
9. Why does Indar think moving African intellectuals around the continent would be good for Africa?
10. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)