|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Indar's moment of insight?
(a) He knows without a doubt that he belongs to himself alone and would surrender his manhood to nobody.
(b) He sees he has not marketed himself correctly.
(c) He understands that he was meant to write the African story.
(d) He realizes he must return to his roots to be happy.
2. What has become of Indar back in Africa?
(a) He has opened a Hindu ashram.
(b) He has gone into hiding.
(c) He does the lowest kind of jobs and will not take help.
(d) He is imprisoned by the President.
3. Why is Salim released from detention to fly back to his home?
(a) Ferdinand comes to his rescue.
(b) The official keeping Salim has held up the flight and gets reprimanded.
(c) His papers are all in order.
(d) He will be interrogated when he gets back to the town.
4. What suggestion does a guest of Raymond's make to him?
(a) That he apply for work in America
(b) That he write a biography of the President
(c) That he go apologize to the President
(d) That he apply for work with the UN
5. How does Salim see Mahesh as half a man?
(a) Because Mahesh never sees anything through to the end.
(b) Because Mahesh only sees himself through Shoba's eyes.
(c) Because Mahesh is only five feet tall.
(d) Because Mahesh cannot make decisions for himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salim notice every time he sees Yvette?
2. What do Salim and Yvette enjoy at the restaurant?
3. Who is the new owner of Salim's store and why did that happen?
4. Why was Indar turned down at the Indian High Commission?
5. What happened to Nazruddin in Canada?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
2. What indicates the end to the boom times in the town?
3. What do Salim and Metty observe from the President's radio broadcast?
4. What was the social gaffe that got Yvette excluded for the President's social events?
5. What does Indar tell Salim about his plans for his future?
6. What has become of Indar?
7. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
8. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
9. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
10. What is a clear sign that the President is now taking charge of his own destiny?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)