|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is so surprising about Shoba going to her country when her father dies?
(a) She claims to fear her brothers.
(b) She had enough money for the ticket.
(c) She said earlier that her father died years ago.
(d) She refuses to allow Mahesh to go with her.
2. What has happened to the European statues in the Capital city?
(a) They have been replaced with statues of African tribesmen.
(b) They have all been moved to the President's palace.
(c) They have been polished to look good.
(d) They have been melted down for the copper.
3. What does Indar say he actually learned at the University.
(a) That he learned nothing
(b) That he learned how to live successfully in the world
(c) That he learned enough to get a good job
(d) That his education was profitable for him
4. In what way is Raymond like Salim's family?
(a) They cannot be persuaded to change their ideas on anything.
(b) They deny the danger around them and are unable to move before it strikes.
(c) They have no respect for the powerful.
(d) They never understand what is happening around them.
5. What is Indar's complaint about getting a ticket on the steamer?
(a) The ticket is only on standby.
(b) He is overcharged because he is not African.
(c) There were rules, locked doors, and an endless checking of papers.
(d) His travel agent wanted a bribe to get his ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does a friend of Indar's take him?
2. What surprising action does the President take for the town?
3. What distresses Salim every time he drives the car?
4. What does Shoba do when she returns?
5. What is the "Cult of Madonna?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
2. How does Salim get away from the local situation for a while?
3. Although already captivated by Yvette, why does Salim think he might not have become involved with her?
4. How does Salim learn more about Raymond?
5. Why does Indar think moving African intellectuals around the continent would be good for Africa?
6. Explain Salim's obsession with Yvette.
7. What is a clear sign that the President is now taking charge of his own destiny?
8. Explain the basis for Indar's depression.
9. What do Salim and Metty observe from the President's radio broadcast?
10. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)