|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What suggestion does a guest of Raymond's make to him?
(a) That he apply for work in America
(b) That he write a biography of the President
(c) That he apply for work with the UN
(d) That he go apologize to the President
2. How have Salim's ideas shifted since his affair with Yvette?
(a) He looks at everything as to how it affects him and Yvette.
(b) Now he thinks Africa is perfect.
(c) He forgets all about his business.
(d) He plots how to take Yvette away from Raymond.
3. What does Shoba do when she returns?
(a) She opens a beauty salon.
(b) She announces that she is pregnant.
(c) She goes into isolation.
(d) She refuses to speak to Mahesh.
4. What news does Salim get from Uganda?
(a) The BBC reports wide spread unrest.
(b) Uganda wins a United Nations recognition of excellence.
(c) Nazruddin writes that his business is flourishing.
(d) Nazruddin sends Salim a letter telling him that things are not going well.
5. Why was Indar turned down at the Indian High Commission?
(a) He does not speak Hindi.
(b) He is too young.
(c) He is not a citizen of India.
(d) He is not a Hindu.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the light of day, how does Salim see Yvette's and Raymond's house?
2. What is Indar's problem with Shoba and Mahesh?
3. What happened to Nazruddin in Canada?
4. Why does Raymond think it is good that the President's book is so quickly forgotten?
5. What surprises Metty when Salim comes looking for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
2. What do Salim and Metty observe from the President's radio broadcast?
3. What was the social gaffe that got Yvette excluded for the President's social events?
4. Why do Indar and Ferdinand both board the steamer at the same time?
5. What is the conclusion Salim draws about the relationship between Yvette and Raymond?
6. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
7. What does Indar tell Salim about his plans for his future?
8. Although already captivated by Yvette, why does Salim think he might not have become involved with her?
9. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
10. Explain Salim's obsession with Yvette.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)