|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Indar tell Salim about his arrival in London?
(a) He had never been so lost in his life.
(b) At first he did not think he could make it there.
(c) He was appalled by the racism in London.
(d) When he first left Africa for London, he thought he would never come back.
2. How have Salim's ideas shifted since his affair with Yvette?
(a) Now he thinks Africa is perfect.
(b) He looks at everything as to how it affects him and Yvette.
(c) He plots how to take Yvette away from Raymond.
(d) He forgets all about his business.
3. Where does a friend of Indar's take him?
(a) To a job fair where he can get many interviews
(b) To Paris where there is less racism
(c) To meet an American who is interested in helping Africa
(d) To a reception for the President who is visiting London
4. What has become of Raymond and Yvette?
(a) They were deported to England.
(b) No one knows where they have gone.
(c) They are in prison.
(d) They committed suicide.
5. What happens when Salim goes to Yvette's house for lunch?
(a) The lunch was cancelled and she forgot to tell him.
(b) Raymond meets him at the door and turns him away.
(c) Yvette's cook has quit and Yvette doesn't know how to cook.
(d) There were no other guests invited.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Salim's attitude about Indar changed?
2. What is Mahesh's behavior while Shoba is gone?
3. Why do Yvette and Raymond cease being invited to the President's functions?
4. In the light of day, how does Salim see Yvette's and Raymond's house?
5. What do Salim and Yvette enjoy at the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salim learn more about Raymond?
2. What has become of Indar?
3. What was the social gaffe that got Yvette excluded for the President's social events?
4. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
5. How does Salim begin to compare himself with Mahesh?
6. Why does Indar think moving African intellectuals around the continent would be good for Africa?
7. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
8. What is the conclusion Salim draws about the relationship between Yvette and Raymond?
9. Explain the basis for Indar's depression.
10. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)