|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Indar's comment about Africa?
(a) Africa is two thousand years behind the times.
(b) Native Africans are less intelligent than the Europeans.
(c) Indar says that Africa is full of refugees who are also first generation intellectuals.
(d) Africa is too tribal to ever form stable governments.
2. What happens at the end of Salim's visit to London?
(a) He becomes engaged to Kareisha and leaves to go back to Africa.
(b) He severes all ties with Nazruddin and returns to Africa.
(c) He finds a job and returns to sell his store.
(d) He is robbed of everything but his return flight ticket.
3. Back in Africa, why does Salim feel sympathy for the President?
(a) After seeing Europe, he understands that the President is stupid.
(b) After seeing Europe, he thinks the President is right about Africa.
(c) After seeing Europe, he knows what the President is up against.
(d) After seeing Europe, he wonders how the President can stand Africa.
4. What happened to Nazruddin in Canada?
(a) Nazruddin was swindled in an oil well scheme.
(b) Nazruddin was deported as a terrorist.
(c) Nazruddin's health could not stand the weather.
(d) Nazruddin could not buy a business.
5. How has Salim's attitude about Indar changed?
(a) He used to envy Indar, now he feels protective of him.
(b) He used to like Indar, now he mistrusts him.
(c) He used to like talking with Indar, now he avoids him.
(d) He used to envy Indar's style, now he thinks Indar is tasteless.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Indar show up at the steamer?
2. What does Salim fear is behind the letter from Nazruddin?
3. What is the invitation Yvette offers to Salim?
4. What amazes Salim about Raymond?
5. What does Salim notice when he gets out of the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
2. How does Salim begin to compare himself with Mahesh?
3. What was the social gaffe that got Yvette excluded for the President's social events?
4. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
5. Why do Indar and Ferdinand both board the steamer at the same time?
6. How does Salim learn more about Raymond?
7. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
8. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
9. What is the situation between the President and Raymond?
10. What is the conclusion Salim draws about the relationship between Yvette and Raymond?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)