|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the end of Salim's visit to London?
(a) He is robbed of everything but his return flight ticket.
(b) He finds a job and returns to sell his store.
(c) He becomes engaged to Kareisha and leaves to go back to Africa.
(d) He severes all ties with Nazruddin and returns to Africa.
2. Why does Indar show up at the steamer?
(a) He is afraid of flying.
(b) He decided to leave the Domain early.
(c) The President commandeered the plane he was scheduled to leave on.
(d) He did not have enough money for a plane ticket.
3. Reading some of Raymond's articles, what does Salim conclude?
(a) That Raymond will win the Nobel Prize for literature
(b) That Raymond had never visited the places he wrote about
(c) That Raymond's book will be a best seller
(d) That Raymond is a genius as a writer
4. What group begins guided tours of the Domain?
(a) The Youth Guard
(b) The President's Docents
(c) The Town Council
(d) The Women's Auxiliary
5. What upsets Indar when he sees the fake Hindu decorations at the Indian High Commission?
(a) They are too expensive to put outside a building.
(b) They do not include any Muslim artifacts.
(c) They look in poor repair.
(d) They let their culture become foreign kitsch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salim notice every time he sees Yvette?
2. How have Salim's ideas shifted since his affair with Yvette?
3. What signals the end of the town's boom?
4. What amazes Salim about Raymond?
5. Where do Salim and Yvette go after the steamer gets out of sight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
2. What was the social gaffe that got Yvette excluded for the President's social events?
3. Explain the changes that took place with Salim's shop while he was away in London.
4. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
5. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
6. What situation irritates Indar when he meets Shoba and Mahesh?
7. Although already captivated by Yvette, why does Salim think he might not have become involved with her?
8. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
9. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
10. What do Salim and Metty observe from the President's radio broadcast?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)