|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Salim go on his first airplane flight?
(c) The Capital
2. What upsets Indar when he sees the fake Hindu decorations at the Indian High Commission?
(a) They are too expensive to put outside a building.
(b) They let their culture become foreign kitsch.
(c) They look in poor repair.
(d) They do not include any Muslim artifacts.
3. Why does Salim think Yvette married the much older Raymond?
(a) She must have had an unhappy homelife.
(b) She must have thought he would be rich.
(c) She must have been very lonely.
(d) She must have thought he was extraordinary.
4. How has Salim's attitude about Indar changed?
(a) He used to envy Indar's style, now he thinks Indar is tasteless.
(b) He used to like Indar, now he mistrusts him.
(c) He used to envy Indar, now he feels protective of him.
(d) He used to like talking with Indar, now he avoids him.
5. What is Indar's complaint about getting a ticket on the steamer?
(a) There were rules, locked doors, and an endless checking of papers.
(b) The ticket is only on standby.
(c) His travel agent wanted a bribe to get his ticket.
(d) He is overcharged because he is not African.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Yvette and Raymond cease being invited to the President's functions?
2. What becomes routine for Salim?
3. Why was Indar turned down at the Indian High Commission?
4. Why is Salim released from detention to fly back to his home?
5. What is Maximes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
2. What is the situation between the President and Raymond?
3. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
4. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
5. Explain Salim's obsession with Yvette.
6. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
7. Although already captivated by Yvette, why does Salim think he might not have become involved with her?
8. What has become of Indar?
9. What do Salim and Metty observe from the President's radio broadcast?
10. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)