|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Salim and Yvette go after the steamer gets out of sight?
(a) To find Raymond
(b) To Salim's store
(c) To a European restaurant
(d) To the Domain
2. What surprises Metty when Salim comes looking for him?
(a) Metty thought Salim was in prison.
(b) Metty thought Salim was too grand after flying to Europe.
(c) He did not expect Salim to return.
(d) Salim has many gifts for him.
3. Why does Indar show up at the steamer?
(a) He decided to leave the Domain early.
(b) He is afraid of flying.
(c) The President commandeered the plane he was scheduled to leave on.
(d) He did not have enough money for a plane ticket.
4. What does Salim hold onto in the face of all this corruption?
(a) He still believes in the power of the President.
(b) He remembers how things get bad and then get better.
(c) He holds onto the idea of leaving the country.
(d) He contends that the President will appeal to the UN.
5. What is Indar's comment about Africa?
(a) Native Africans are less intelligent than the Europeans.
(b) Africa is too tribal to ever form stable governments.
(c) Indar says that Africa is full of refugees who are also first generation intellectuals.
(d) Africa is two thousand years behind the times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nazruddin thinking of moving his family?
2. Where does Salim go on his first airplane flight?
3. What is so surprising about Shoba going to her country when her father dies?
4. Why does Raymond think it is good that the President's book is so quickly forgotten?
5. Why do Yvette and Raymond cease being invited to the President's functions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
2. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
3. What has become of Indar?
4. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
5. Explain who initiates the affair between Salim and Yvette.
6. How does Salim get away from the local situation for a while?
7. What does Indar tell Salim about his plans for his future?
8. What do Salim and Metty observe from the President's radio broadcast?
9. What is the situation between the President and Raymond?
10. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)