|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is so surprising about Shoba going to her country when her father dies?
(a) She said earlier that her father died years ago.
(b) She claims to fear her brothers.
(c) She had enough money for the ticket.
(d) She refuses to allow Mahesh to go with her.
2. What happens when Salim introduces Indar to Shoba and Mahesh?
(a) They speak French.
(b) They go into business with each other.
(c) They do not get along.
(d) They become instant best friends.
3. What has become of Indar back in Africa?
(a) He does the lowest kind of jobs and will not take help.
(b) He has gone into hiding.
(c) He is imprisoned by the President.
(d) He has opened a Hindu ashram.
4. What does Indar say he actually learned at the University.
(a) That his education was profitable for him
(b) That he learned nothing
(c) That he learned how to live successfully in the world
(d) That he learned enough to get a good job
5. What does Indar say his goal is now?
(a) To give the men hope, to give Africa better news about itself, and to start the true African revolution.
(b) To go into politics and run against the President.
(c) To write the book that Raymond is incapable of writing.
(d) To stay on the lecture circuit and make a fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the businessmen react to the changes coming about?
2. Where do Salim and Yvette go after the steamer gets out of sight?
3. What is Indar's moment of insight?
4. Why is Salim released from detention to fly back to his home?
5. What is Indar's complaint about getting a ticket on the steamer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
2. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
3. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
4. Explain Zabeth's concern for her son Ferdinand.
5. Although already captivated by Yvette, why does Salim think he might not have become involved with her?
6. Describe the beginning of the relationship between Salim and Yvette.
7. How does Salim react to Nazruddin's letter from Uganda?
8. How does Salim learn more about Raymond?
9. What is the situation between the President and Raymond?
10. Explain the changes that took place with Salim's shop while he was away in London.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)