|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
(a) The young men become bandits.
(b) Police and other officials start harassing people.
(c) The President's army moves in.
(d) The Domain is closed to the public.
2. After lunch, what does Salim imagine about Yvette's house?
(a) That the house reflects the closeness of Yvette and Raymond.
(b) They have so many possessions the house is not large enough.
(c) It is sad and she must consider it as a prison.
(d) That he could never compete with all Yvette has with Raymond.
3. Why is Ferdinand leaving the Domain?
(a) Ferdinand has an incurable illness.
(b) Ferdinand is going back to live with Zabeth.
(c) Ferdinand has flunked out.
(d) Ferdinand is leaving for a cadetship at the capital.
4. What has become of Raymond and Yvette?
(a) They were deported to England.
(b) They committed suicide.
(c) No one knows where they have gone.
(d) They are in prison.
5. In what way is Raymond like Salim's family?
(a) They have no respect for the powerful.
(b) They deny the danger around them and are unable to move before it strikes.
(c) They never understand what is happening around them.
(d) They cannot be persuaded to change their ideas on anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salim see Raymond and Yvette after reading Raymond's articles?
2. What does Raymond suggest is one of the President's greatest powers?
3. What does Shoba do when she returns?
4. In the light of day, how does Salim see Yvette's and Raymond's house?
5. What word does Indar say kept his spirits high when he first arrived in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the situation in the town deteriorate after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
2. Explain the basis for Indar's depression.
3. What encouragement did a woman lecturer give Indar in England?
4. Why does Indar think moving African intellectuals around the continent would be good for Africa?
5. What was the social gaffe that got Yvette excluded for the President's social events?
6. Explain Salim's obsession with Yvette.
7. What has become of Indar?
8. How does Indar's behavior on the steamer show that he is not as sure of himself as he told Salim he was?
9. How are things different socially for Salim after his return from London?
10. What indicates the end to the boom times in the town?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)