|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people like to go to the Bigburger?
(a) There is no place else to go.
(b) To get inside an air conditioned building where they do not smell the garbage.
(c) They develop a taste for French fried potatoes.
(d) Mahesh has young girls working there.
2. What confidence does Indar impart to Salim?
(a) The President is going his own way and no longer needs Raymond's help.
(b) The Domain is going to close for lack of funds.
(c) The President is going to replace Raymond at the Domain.
(d) The Domain is about to become an officer training school for the army.
3. What does Salim remember as being outside his hometown?
(a) Slave stockades
(b) Dense jungles
(c) A large cemetery
(d) Army barracks
4. What is Raymond's connection to the President?
(a) He is the brother of the President's white wife.
(b) He taught the President in the university in London.
(c) He was a close friend of the Presiden't father.
(d) He tutored him when he was a boy.
5. What emotion goes through Salim now when he sees or thinks about Ferdinand?
(a) He is envious of Ferdinand's possibility of getting into positions of power and control.
(b) He fears Ferdinand as a force for graft and corruption.
(c) He is proud that everyone knows he is Ferdinand's guardian.
(d) He is surprised that Ferdinand has not dropped out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zabeth represent to Salim?
2. How does Salim's Moslem religion differ from pure Arabian religion?
3. On his trip to the central part of Africa, who stops Salim often for money or supplies?
4. Who are the main customers at Bigburger?
5. Where does Father Huismans keep his collection of African artifacts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Salim's assessment of Father Huismans?
2. Explain how the reader understands that Salim is inexperienced with women.
3. What is going through Salim's mind as he travels deeper into the interior?
4. Why is Indar edgy after the party?
5. What is happening with the town shortly after Salim arrives?
6. Describe the rumors about the new complex being built near the town.
7. What makes the trip longer and more complicated?
8. Describe Mahesh and his desire to strike it rich.
9. What is Raymond's story about the President as a young man?
10. Give some details about Father Huismans' hobby.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)