|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The palace once built by a businessman in town is now serving what purpose?
(a) An army barracks
(b) A library
(c) A hotel
(d) A government office
2. How does the President manage the war in the town and surrounding area?
(a) He conscripts the villagers into his own army.
(b) He moves his capital to the town.
(c) He sends mercenaries who shoot two of the army officers.
(d) He calls in United Nations peace keepers.
3. Why do other boys from the lycee come to see Salim?
(a) They are looking for jobs.
(b) The want Salim to take Ferdinand out of their school.
(c) They try to buy Salim's car.
(d) They want him to send them to America to study.
4. Who is Salim's childhood friend who is going to England to study?
5. How does Mahesh finally make it big?
(a) He starts a pawn shop.
(b) He opens a Bigburger franchise.
(c) He finds a gold mine.
(d) He takes over the lycee after Father Huismans' death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people like to go to the Bigburger?
2. What happens to change the relationship between Salim and Metty?
3. What is the significance of Ferdinand's question about religion?
4. Where is Father Huismans when Salim calls on him?
5. Who is the hostess Salim meets at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reunion of Salim and Indar.
2. Why is Indar edgy after the party?
3. Explain why Zabeth brings Ferdinand to see Salim.
4. What is the situation at the beginning of the novel?
5. What makes the trip longer and more complicated?
6. Describe Zabeth's business.
7. What is the problem that arises over a book?
8. Explain the change in the relationship between Salim and Metty.
9. How do Salim and his friend, Indar, escape the area where their families live?
10. Why does Ferdinand ask the question about African religion?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)