|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Salim learn from Yvette about Raymond's writing?
(a) None of his published books have ever made money.
(b) He has never published a book.
(c) He is losing his eyesight so he wants to write as long as he can.
(d) He cannot write in the day time.
2. When and where does the affair between Salim and Yvette begin?
(a) A week later in the hotel
(b) The day after the lunch when Yvette comes to Salim's apartment
(c) The night after the lunch in Salim's warehouse
(d) Right after the lunch in Yvette's bedroom
3. Who is the new owner of Salim's store and why did that happen?
(a) Metty is now the owner because Simon overstayed his exit visa.
(b) Ferdinand has returned and now owns the business.
(c) Zabeth has taken over the business by a legal loophole.
(d) A drunk named Theotime is the new owner since foreign business has been nationalized.
4. What does Shoba do when she returns?
(a) She refuses to speak to Mahesh.
(b) She announces that she is pregnant.
(c) She opens a beauty salon.
(d) She goes into isolation.
5. How does Salim see Mahesh as half a man?
(a) Because Mahesh cannot make decisions for himself.
(b) Because Mahesh only sees himself through Shoba's eyes.
(c) Because Mahesh never sees anything through to the end.
(d) Because Mahesh is only five feet tall.
6. What is Zabeth's fear for Ferdinand?
(a) That he will be sent to a foreign country
(b) That he will turn against her
(c) That he will be executed
(d) That he will not recover from his illness
7. At the steamer, what does Salim notice about Ferdinand?
(a) That he is comfortable wherever he is.
(b) That he is too shy to ask questions.
(c) That he has grown dangerously thin.
(d) That he cannot do things for himself.
8. What surprises Metty when Salim comes looking for him?
(a) Metty thought Salim was too grand after flying to Europe.
(b) He did not expect Salim to return.
(c) Metty thought Salim was in prison.
(d) Salim has many gifts for him.
9. What does Indar say he actually learned at the University.
(a) That his education was profitable for him
(b) That he learned how to live successfully in the world
(c) That he learned nothing
(d) That he learned enough to get a good job
10. What happens after the Youth Guard is disbanded?
(a) The Domain is closed to the public.
(b) The President's army moves in.
(c) The young men become bandits.
(d) Police and other officials start harassing people.
11. What does Salim have in his desk drawer?
(a) Photos of Yvette
(b) Rayond's articles
(c) Money to make a fast getaway
(d) His last will and testament
12. What does Yvette tell Salim about Indar?
(a) That he needs someone to think for him
(b) That he plans on going to America
(c) That he bored her to tears
(d) He had become an encumbrance that became a habit.
13. How does the purser on the steamer show that he does not respect the President?
(a) He puts a cloth over the President's portrait.
(b) He speaks French which the President has banned.
(c) He sits down when the national anthem is played.
(d) He sneers every time the President is mentioned.
14. Back in Africa, why does Salim feel sympathy for the President?
(a) After seeing Europe, he understands that the President is stupid.
(b) After seeing Europe, he thinks the President is right about Africa.
(c) After seeing Europe, he knows what the President is up against.
(d) After seeing Europe, he wonders how the President can stand Africa.
15. What did one of Indar's lecturers suggest for him?
(a) That he take another degree
(b) That he start his own business in Africa
(c) That he become a public speaker
(d) That he become a diplomat
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Indar show up at the steamer?
2. What is Indar's problem with Shoba and Mahesh?
3. Where is Nazruddin thinking of moving his family?
4. What surprising action does the President take for the town?
5. What is Indar's complaint about getting a ticket on the steamer?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)