|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the new owner of Salim's store and why did that happen?
(a) Metty is now the owner because Simon overstayed his exit visa.
(b) Ferdinand has returned and now owns the business.
(c) Zabeth has taken over the business by a legal loophole.
(d) A drunk named Theotime is the new owner since foreign business has been nationalized.
2. Where does a friend of Indar's take him?
(a) To a reception for the President who is visiting London
(b) To a job fair where he can get many interviews
(c) To Paris where there is less racism
(d) To meet an American who is interested in helping Africa
3. What does Yvette tell Salim about Indar?
(a) That he bored her to tears
(b) That he needs someone to think for him
(c) That he plans on going to America
(d) He had become an encumbrance that became a habit.
4. What happened to Nazruddin in Canada?
(a) Nazruddin could not buy a business.
(b) Nazruddin's health could not stand the weather.
(c) Nazruddin was swindled in an oil well scheme.
(d) Nazruddin was deported as a terrorist.
5. What happens when Salim goes to Yvette's house for lunch?
(a) There were no other guests invited.
(b) The lunch was cancelled and she forgot to tell him.
(c) Raymond meets him at the door and turns him away.
(d) Yvette's cook has quit and Yvette doesn't know how to cook.
6. How does the purser on the steamer show that he does not respect the President?
(a) He puts a cloth over the President's portrait.
(b) He sits down when the national anthem is played.
(c) He speaks French which the President has banned.
(d) He sneers every time the President is mentioned.
7. What signals the end of the town's boom?
(a) The Domain is closed.
(b) There is a datastrophic fire.
(c) The river changes course after an earthquake.
(d) Noiman, a successful Greek businessman, sells out and moves to Australia.
8. What does Indar say his goal is now?
(a) To stay on the lecture circuit and make a fortune.
(b) To write the book that Raymond is incapable of writing.
(c) To give the men hope, to give Africa better news about itself, and to start the true African revolution.
(d) To go into politics and run against the President.
9. Why is Salim released from detention to fly back to his home?
(a) His papers are all in order.
(b) Ferdinand comes to his rescue.
(c) He will be interrogated when he gets back to the town.
(d) The official keeping Salim has held up the flight and gets reprimanded.
10. How does Salim reply to Nazruddin?
(a) That the President has put a freeze on expansion
(b) That he is selling the store and going to London
(c) That things are unstable in the town and country
(d) That his store burned to the ground
11. Why does Indar show up at the steamer?
(a) He decided to leave the Domain early.
(b) He did not have enough money for a plane ticket.
(c) The President commandeered the plane he was scheduled to leave on.
(d) He is afraid of flying.
12. What word does Indar say kept his spirits high when he first arrived in London?
(a) "University" seemed like a magic word, and Indar thought a magic life awaited him.
(b) "Education" was the word that meant the most to him.
(c) "Opportunity" was Indar's magic word in London.
(d) "Career" was the magic word that drove him to study hard.
13. Where does Salim go on his first airplane flight?
(b) The Capital
14. What does Indar tell Salim about his arrival in London?
(a) He had never been so lost in his life.
(b) When he first left Africa for London, he thought he would never come back.
(c) He was appalled by the racism in London.
(d) At first he did not think he could make it there.
15. How do the businessmen react to the changes coming about?
(a) They start recuriting industry for the town.
(b) They build a new airport.
(c) They get busy and make contingency plans.
(d) They kid themselves by talking about how their town is better than anywhere else.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Salim's attitude about Indar changed?
2. What has become of Kareisha, Nazruddin's daughter whom Salim feared he might have to marry?
3. What does Salim hold onto in the face of all this corruption?
4. Why does Raymond think it is good that the President's book is so quickly forgotten?
5. How does Salim see Raymond and Yvette after reading Raymond's articles?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)