|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does a friend of Indar's take him?
(a) To meet an American who is interested in helping Africa
(b) To a job fair where he can get many interviews
(c) To Paris where there is less racism
(d) To a reception for the President who is visiting London
2. What surprising action does the President take for the town?
(a) He declares martial law in the town.
(b) He waives taxes for the town.
(c) He is disbanding the Youth Guard in Salim's area.
(d) He plans to completely renovate the town.
3. Why does Salim close his shop for three hours the day after the affair begins?
(a) To spend time with Yvette
(b) To go to the river and think
(c) To rearrange his merchandise
(d) To help Mahesh in the Bigburger
4. How do the businessmen react to the changes coming about?
(a) They kid themselves by talking about how their town is better than anywhere else.
(b) They get busy and make contingency plans.
(c) They start recuriting industry for the town.
(d) They build a new airport.
5. What is Maximes?
(a) Raymond's first published book.
(b) A small book written by the President.
(c) New regulations everyone is supposed to memorize.
(d) A translation of "The Sayings of Chairman Mao."
6. What happens as a backlash against the corruption?
(a) A committee is sent to appeal to the President.
(b) Unknown people sabatoge the Police vehicles.
(c) The squatters from the villages refuse to leave their areas.
(d) There are assaults on police stations and statues are toppled.
7. What does Raymond suggest is one of the President's greatest powers?
(a) Knowing who is real friends are
(b) Knowing when to pull back
(c) Getting rid of his opposition
(d) Looking far into the future
8. Back in Africa, why does Salim feel sympathy for the President?
(a) After seeing Europe, he wonders how the President can stand Africa.
(b) After seeing Europe, he understands that the President is stupid.
(c) After seeing Europe, he thinks the President is right about Africa.
(d) After seeing Europe, he knows what the President is up against.
9. What is Indar's moment of insight?
(a) He understands that he was meant to write the African story.
(b) He knows without a doubt that he belongs to himself alone and would surrender his manhood to nobody.
(c) He sees he has not marketed himself correctly.
(d) He realizes he must return to his roots to be happy.
10. What has become of Raymond and Yvette?
(a) They were deported to England.
(b) They are in prison.
(c) They committed suicide.
(d) No one knows where they have gone.
11. What happened when Indar began applying for jobs?
(a) He was not offered enough money.
(b) He was given several offers.
(c) He had to learn how to write a resume
(d) He had no luck.
12. What has become of Kareisha, Nazruddin's daughter whom Salim feared he might have to marry?
(a) Kareisha is married to a British man and has four children.
(b) Kareisha has left the family and moved to America.
(c) Kareisha has gone to India and will marry a doctor.
(d) Kareisha, Nazruddin's daughter, has become a pharmacist.
13. How does Salim reply to Nazruddin?
(a) That things are unstable in the town and country
(b) That he is selling the store and going to London
(c) That the President has put a freeze on expansion
(d) That his store burned to the ground
14. Where does Salim go on his first airplane flight?
(b) The Capital
15. What group begins guided tours of the Domain?
(a) The President's Docents
(b) The Town Council
(c) The Women's Auxiliary
(d) The Youth Guard
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Salim and Yvette enjoy at the restaurant?
2. What does Indar say he actually learned at the University.
3. What is Zabeth's fear for Ferdinand?
4. How has Salim's attitude about Indar changed?
5. What happens when Salim goes to Yvette's house for lunch?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)