|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did one of Indar's lecturers suggest for him?
(a) That he become a diplomat
(b) That he become a public speaker
(c) That he start his own business in Africa
(d) That he take another degree
2. How have Salim's ideas shifted since his affair with Yvette?
(a) He forgets all about his business.
(b) He plots how to take Yvette away from Raymond.
(c) Now he thinks Africa is perfect.
(d) He looks at everything as to how it affects him and Yvette.
3. What happens when Salim introduces Indar to Shoba and Mahesh?
(a) They go into business with each other.
(b) They become instant best friends.
(c) They do not get along.
(d) They speak French.
4. Who is the new owner of Salim's store and why did that happen?
(a) A drunk named Theotime is the new owner since foreign business has been nationalized.
(b) Metty is now the owner because Simon overstayed his exit visa.
(c) Zabeth has taken over the business by a legal loophole.
(d) Ferdinand has returned and now owns the business.
5. Reading some of Raymond's articles, what does Salim conclude?
(a) That Raymond had never visited the places he wrote about
(b) That Raymond will win the Nobel Prize for literature
(c) That Raymond is a genius as a writer
(d) That Raymond's book will be a best seller
6. What happens as a backlash against the corruption?
(a) There are assaults on police stations and statues are toppled.
(b) A committee is sent to appeal to the President.
(c) The squatters from the villages refuse to leave their areas.
(d) Unknown people sabatoge the Police vehicles.
7. What does Indar say about Africans abroad?
(a) They are too shy to mix with the Europeans.
(b) They see everything but make no effort to change anything.
(c) They never think about Africa again.
(d) They are like sheep without a shepherd.
8. What does Raymond suggest is one of the President's greatest powers?
(a) Knowing when to pull back
(b) Knowing who is real friends are
(c) Looking far into the future
(d) Getting rid of his opposition
9. Back in Africa, why does Salim feel sympathy for the President?
(a) After seeing Europe, he thinks the President is right about Africa.
(b) After seeing Europe, he knows what the President is up against.
(c) After seeing Europe, he understands that the President is stupid.
(d) After seeing Europe, he wonders how the President can stand Africa.
10. What upsets Indar when he sees the fake Hindu decorations at the Indian High Commission?
(a) They let their culture become foreign kitsch.
(b) They do not include any Muslim artifacts.
(c) They look in poor repair.
(d) They are too expensive to put outside a building.
11. Why is Salim released from detention to fly back to his home?
(a) His papers are all in order.
(b) Ferdinand comes to his rescue.
(c) He will be interrogated when he gets back to the town.
(d) The official keeping Salim has held up the flight and gets reprimanded.
12. Where is Nazruddin thinking of moving his family?
(d) The USA
13. What does Salim fear is behind the letter from Nazruddin?
(a) That Nazruddin is coming to live with him
(b) That Nazruddin wants to borrow money
(c) That Nazruddin wants his store back
(d) That Nazruddin wants him to marry his daughter
14. Why is Ferdinand leaving the Domain?
(a) Ferdinand is leaving for a cadetship at the capital.
(b) Ferdinand has an incurable illness.
(c) Ferdinand has flunked out.
(d) Ferdinand is going back to live with Zabeth.
15. As the steamer finally leaves, why is Salim happy?
(a) He is standing on the bank with Yvette.
(b) He no longer has to deal with Ferdinand.
(c) Indar is so happy to be leaving the town.
(d) He will have time to spend on his business.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Indar's comment about Africa?
2. What becomes routine for Salim?
3. What is Zabeth's fear for Ferdinand?
4. How has Salim's attitude about Indar changed?
5. What has become of Indar back in Africa?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)