|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was wrong with Mahesh's engraving machine that makes signs?
(a) The machine was too complicated for him to operate.
(b) It was impossible to assemble.
(c) He could not get the raw materials to make the signs.
(d) No one needed signs.
2. In what way is Salim optimistic about the town?
(a) He thinks he will be able to build his business and sell it.
(b) He sees that the youth are being educated.
(c) He thinks it will grow back if the peace holds.
(d) He sees that it is in a strategic place for development.
3. What is the rumor Ferdinand spreads in the town?
(a) That Salim is secretly married to Nazruddin's daughter
(b) That Salim is secretly a millionaire
(c) That Salim is sending him to study in America
(d) That Salim is trading on the black market
4. What venture does Mahesh undertake that worries Salim?
(a) He opens a taxi service.
(b) He makes a contract with the President.
(c) He starts trading with the army.
(d) He makes elixers for illnesses.
5. What does Ferdinand think about Huismans' museum?
(a) People should not pay to see African artifacts in Africa.
(b) Europeans will not want to see it.
(c) This will preserve our African culture.
(d) We have masks in our homes, we do not need a museum.
6. What does Salim explain to Indar after the lecture?
(a) That Ferdinand is an atheist
(b) That Ferdinand does not understand the concept of a New Africa
(c) That Ferdinand likes to stir up trouble
(d) That Ferdinand's mother is a magician
7. What does Indar lecture about when Salim attends his class?
(a) The preservation of wildlife
(b) Life in England
(c) The economics of gold and ivory
(d) Parts of Africa he has visited
8. Where has Salim come from as the story opens?
(b) The Sudan
(c) The east coast of Africa
(d) South Africa
9. Why is Shoba fearful?
(a) Her brothers had vowed to throw acid in her face and kill Mahesh.
(b) She cannot sleep at night for fear of burglars.
(c) Mahesh has been spending a lot of time with a woman.
(d) Mahesh may be conscripted into the army.
10. What contraband does one boy leave at Salim's shop?
(a) Money gotten on a black market exchange
(b) Gold nuggets
(c) A book that belongs to the lycee
(d) Some carved ivory
11. What is Indar doing in the town?
(a) He has decided to follow Salim's example.
(b) He is taking over the lycee.
(c) He is just passing through.
(d) He is a guest lecturer at the Domain.
12. Who is the surprise visitor to Salim's store?
(a) The President
(c) Zabeth's husband
(d) Salim's brother
13. After Father Huismans' death, what prediction of his comes about?
(a) The lycee falls to the ground.
(b) The river rises and flood the town.
(c) The school gets a grant from the government.
(d) The town becomes a thriving settlement.
14. What does Salim say that he and all the guests at the party were doing?
(a) Bragging about their own accomplishments
(b) Having glum thoughts about the world
(c) Pretending to be safe
(d) Trying to understand the Joan Baez songs
15. What does Zabeth want Salim to do?
(a) Take Ferdinand as a shop slave
(b) Teach Ferdinand the shop business
(c) Be Ferdinand's guardian while he studies at the lycee
(d) Marry her and be a father to Ferdinand
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ferdinand's question at Indar's lecture?
2. What does Indar say about Raymond?
3. Why do people like to go to the Bigburger?
4. The palace once built by a businessman in town is now serving what purpose?
5. Where does Father Huismans keep his collection of African artifacts?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)