|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Salim think when he is shown the collection of African masks?
(a) That Father Huismans is insane
(b) That it represents Zabeth's world
(c) That he has no interest in such things
(d) That the masks are dangerous
2. Who is Salim's first customer?
3. Who does Salim go to see at the lycee?
(a) Father Huismans
(d) The Belgian clerk
4. From where does the name Metty come?
(a) From a Portuguese word meaning metal
(b) From a story about Methuselah, the oldest man
(c) From a corruption of the English word, middle
(d) From a French word, mestise, which means of mixed race
5. On his trip to the central part of Africa, who stops Salim often for money or supplies?
(a) Tribal leaders
(b) Men with guns
(d) People wanting to escape
6. What does Raymond say he is working on just before he returns to his study?
(a) A translation of the Bible
(b) A biography of the President
(c) A new constitution for the country
(d) The first historical narrative of Africa
7. How does Salim find the town when he arrives?
(a) It is beginning to prosper.
(b) The President has put money into the town's recovery.
(c) Many new shops and houses are under construction.
(d) It is more than half destroyed from the revolution.
8. Why is Shoba fearful?
(a) Mahesh may be conscripted into the army.
(b) She cannot sleep at night for fear of burglars.
(c) Her brothers had vowed to throw acid in her face and kill Mahesh.
(d) Mahesh has been spending a lot of time with a woman.
9. What condition is the town in after the squatters settle?
(a) They buy out all the stores and business booms.
(b) The town opens a new opera house.
(c) The town spreads out in all directions.
(d) They throw their garbage out and the town begins to stink.
10. What emotion goes through Salim now when he sees or thinks about Ferdinand?
(a) He is surprised that Ferdinand has not dropped out.
(b) He is envious of Ferdinand's possibility of getting into positions of power and control.
(c) He fears Ferdinand as a force for graft and corruption.
(d) He is proud that everyone knows he is Ferdinand's guardian.
11. What does Salim remember as being outside his hometown?
(a) Slave stockades
(b) A large cemetery
(c) Dense jungles
(d) Army barracks
12. What does Zabeth want Salim to do?
(a) Marry her and be a father to Ferdinand
(b) Take Ferdinand as a shop slave
(c) Teach Ferdinand the shop business
(d) Be Ferdinand's guardian while he studies at the lycee
13. What ends the budding war?
(a) Bombs dropped in the bush
(b) Jailing all the village army leaders
(c) Mass executions
(d) Pay offs to the villages
14. Why had the town been destroyed during the war?
(a) It was falling down anyway.
(b) It was on a direct path of advancing troops.
(c) Looting for whatever valuables could be found
(d) Resentment against Arabs, Europeans, and Indians
15. After Father Huismans' death, what prediction of his comes about?
(a) The river rises and flood the town.
(b) The lycee falls to the ground.
(c) The school gets a grant from the government.
(d) The town becomes a thriving settlement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sold him the store he is going to run?
2. What was wrong with Mahesh's engraving machine that makes signs?
3. What does Salim see as the contradiction in Father Huismans?
4. What do the townspeople speculate about the new complex?
5. Who are the main customers at Bigburger?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)