|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Salim finally meets with Father Huismans, what does he see?
(a) An African mask Father Huismans got on his last trip
(b) A place where the roof has fallen in
(c) Father Huismans beating a student
(d) A group of new European teachers
2. What does Raymond say he is working on just before he returns to his study?
(a) The first historical narrative of Africa
(b) A translation of the Bible
(c) A new constitution for the country
(d) A biography of the President
3. What does Salim say that he and all the guests at the party were doing?
(a) Bragging about their own accomplishments
(b) Having glum thoughts about the world
(c) Trying to understand the Joan Baez songs
(d) Pretending to be safe
4. What does Father Huismans think about the future of Africa?
(a) That modern civilization is coming
(b) That it will soon return to its primative ways
(c) That it will never progress
(d) That it will become united into one continental country
5. Why do other boys from the lycee come to see Salim?
(a) They try to buy Salim's car.
(b) The want Salim to take Ferdinand out of their school.
(c) They want him to send them to America to study.
(d) They are looking for jobs.
6. What do the villagers do that becomes a threat to the town?
(a) They bring their contageous people to stay in the town.
(b) They begin to build bonfires that threaten to set fire to the town.
(c) They demonstrate in the streets every day.
(d) They form an army and move it into the town.
7. Where does Father Huismans keep his collection of African artifacts?
(a) In his private quarters
(b) In the old gun room of the lycee
(c) In an extra dormitory room of the lycee
(d) In the chapel of the lycee
8. Is Salim comfortable with the teaching of the Domain?
(a) He thinks the teaching there is too conservative.
(b) He wishes the Domain would offer jobs instead of lectures.
(c) He wonders if they are fooling themselves by ignoring the difference between Old and New Africa.
(d) He wonders where they stand on the arabs in Africa.
9. Why is the Belgian clerk upset?
(a) He thinks conditions are too difficult to tolerate.
(b) He thinks Father Huismans is stealing from the lycee.
(c) He is sick and there is no doctor.
(d) He cannot find his glasses.
10. How long had two slave families been with Salim's family?
(a) Three generations
(b) Five years
(c) From the time Salim was born
(d) Over one hundred years
11. Who does Salim think about who had been driven on foot along the same road he travels?
(a) Arab settlers being forced out
(b) African slaves
(c) Prisoners who built the road
(d) Captured Europeans
12. What venture does Mahesh undertake that worries Salim?
(a) He opens a taxi service.
(b) He makes a contract with the President.
(c) He starts trading with the army.
(d) He makes elixers for illnesses.
13. What does the President do at a ruined suburb?
(a) He builds a new barracks for his army.
(b) He levels it and makes a park.
(c) He builds a shoe factory.
(d) He builds a large complex.
14. In what way is Salim optimistic about the town?
(a) He thinks it will grow back if the peace holds.
(b) He sees that it is in a strategic place for development.
(c) He sees that the youth are being educated.
(d) He thinks he will be able to build his business and sell it.
15. How does Salim's Moslem religion differ from pure Arabian religion?
(a) It includes Christian traditions.
(b) It has traces of Hinduism.
(c) It is a religion of traditions from people who do not read Arabic.
(d) It only requires prayer once a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salim observe when he visits the Domain?
2. Who was Salim expecting when Metty led Indar into the store?
3. What is Ferdinand's reaction when Salim wants him to take a book back to the lycee?
4. Who is the surprise visitor to Salim's store?
5. What does Salim see as the contradiction in Father Huismans?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)