|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does the name Metty come?
(a) From a French word, mestise, which means of mixed race
(b) From a corruption of the English word, middle
(c) From a story about Methuselah, the oldest man
(d) From a Portuguese word meaning metal
2. Why is there no history of the Arabs in the country on the east coast of Africa?
(a) The Arabs thought histories are unimportant.
(b) All their records were destroyed in the revolution.
(c) The people were illiterate.
(d) They never wrote anything down.
3. How long had two slave families been with Salim's family?
(a) Over one hundred years
(b) Five years
(c) Three generations
(d) From the time Salim was born
4. What does Salim learn about Zabeth's family?
(a) That she keeps her children hidden in the jungle
(b) That her family was killed in the revolution
(c) That she is related by blood to everyone in her village
(d) That she has a fifteen or sixteen-year-old son
5. What does Salim think when he is shown the collection of African masks?
(a) That Father Huismans is insane
(b) That he has no interest in such things
(c) That it represents Zabeth's world
(d) That the masks are dangerous
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rumor Ferdinand spreads in the town?
2. How does Salim's Moslem religion differ from pure Arabian religion?
3. What does Salim see as the contradiction in Father Huismans?
4. On his trip to the central part of Africa, who stops Salim often for money or supplies?
5. Who is Salim's childhood friend who is going to England to study?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)