|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zabeth want Salim to do?
(a) Be Ferdinand's guardian while he studies at the lycee
(b) Take Ferdinand as a shop slave
(c) Teach Ferdinand the shop business
(d) Marry her and be a father to Ferdinand
2. Why do other boys from the lycee come to see Salim?
(a) They try to buy Salim's car.
(b) They are looking for jobs.
(c) They want him to send them to America to study.
(d) The want Salim to take Ferdinand out of their school.
3. What does Salim see as the contradiction in Father Huismans?
(a) He teaches religion but he has lost his faith.
(b) He professes poverty but he amasses a fortune.
(c) He heads a school but he hates students.
(d) He likes things African but he does not like Africans.
4. When Salim finally meets with Father Huismans, what does he see?
(a) A group of new European teachers
(b) An African mask Father Huismans got on his last trip
(c) A place where the roof has fallen in
(d) Father Huismans beating a student
5. What is Salim's ethnic background?
(a) His family came from the Arabian penninsula.
(b) He is Arab with African blood from his grandmother.
(c) Salim is half Arab and half European.
(d) His family from northwest India is considered Arab.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Salim's first customer?
2. The palace once built by a businessman in town is now serving what purpose?
3. What does Salim learn about Zabeth's family?
4. How had Nazruddin come into possession of the store?
5. Why is there no history of the Arabs in the country on the east coast of Africa?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)