|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request does Ferdinand make of Salim?
(a) He asks Salim to send him to school in America.
(b) He asks Salim to let him work in the store and quit school.
(c) He asks Salim to find him a wife.
(d) He asks Salim to buy him a car.
2. In what way is Salim optimistic about the town?
(a) He sees that it is in a strategic place for development.
(b) He sees that the youth are being educated.
(c) He thinks he will be able to build his business and sell it.
(d) He thinks it will grow back if the peace holds.
3. From where does the name Metty come?
(a) From a story about Methuselah, the oldest man
(b) From a French word, mestise, which means of mixed race
(c) From a Portuguese word meaning metal
(d) From a corruption of the English word, middle
4. What is Ferdinand's reaction when Salim wants him to take a book back to the lycee?
(a) He wants to read the book first.
(b) He says it isn't his job.
(c) He gets angry and refuses to do it.
(d) He throws the book in the river.
5. What contraband does one boy leave at Salim's shop?
(a) Money gotten on a black market exchange
(b) Some carved ivory
(c) Gold nuggets
(d) A book that belongs to the lycee
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had two slave families been with Salim's family?
2. What does Ferdinand promise to do but does not do?
3. What does Zabeth want Salim to do?
4. What is Ferdinand's dilemma?
5. What does Zabeth represent to Salim?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)