|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zabeth want Salim to do?
(a) Be Ferdinand's guardian while he studies at the lycee
(b) Teach Ferdinand the shop business
(c) Take Ferdinand as a shop slave
(d) Marry her and be a father to Ferdinand
2. What does Zabeth represent to Salim?
(a) Authentic Africa
(c) Back woods ignorance
(d) Only a chance to make money from her
3. What does Salim remember as being outside his hometown?
(a) Slave stockades
(b) Dense jungles
(c) Army barracks
(d) A large cemetery
4. What is Ferdinand's reaction when Salim wants him to take a book back to the lycee?
(a) He throws the book in the river.
(b) He wants to read the book first.
(c) He says it isn't his job.
(d) He gets angry and refuses to do it.
5. What contraband does one boy leave at Salim's shop?
(a) Some carved ivory
(b) A book that belongs to the lycee
(c) Gold nuggets
(d) Money gotten on a black market exchange
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is Salim optimistic about the town?
2. Who is Salim's childhood friend who is going to England to study?
3. What behavior does Ferdinand go through after coming to the lycee?
4. Why does Salim buy the store from Nazruddin?
5. Why did the slaves on the east coast not desire freedom?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)