Book 1, Chapter 1
• Salim, the narrator, describes his week long trip from the east coast to the interior of Africa.
• Salim plans to operate a store near the bend of the river.
• He finds destruction and ruin when he arrives at the store he bought sight unseen.
• He plans to wait and see if the store will make him a living.
• Zabeth is his first customer, a large copper colored woman who will become a regular shopper in Salim's store.
• She buys goods for people in a remote village.
• She knows how to get to and from Salim's store without losing her valuable cargo.
• She is protected by an offensive odor she applies to herself.
Book 1, Chapter 2
• Salim introduces what he knows of his family's mixed heritage, African and Arab.
• They live in a European community that was taken over from the Arabs.
• Now the Europeans are being forced...
This section contains 2,628 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)