|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet was also a patient at the institution where Nash was held in Chapter Thirty-Six?
2. What month was it when Nash traveled to East Germany in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
3. Nash declined the offer of a chair at the University of Chicago saying that he was becoming the emperor of what, in Chapter Thirty-Four?
4. When was Peter Sarnak born?
5. On what date was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s second son born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Nash's winning the Nobel Prize in Chapter Forty-Eight? What issues did the Royal Swedish Academy have with Nash?
2. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
3. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
4. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
5. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
6. How is John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Alicia described in Chapter Thirty-One? What were peoples' impressions of Alicia?
7. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
8. Where was Nash institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six? Who did he meet at the hospital and befriend?
9. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two? Where did he go upon release?
10. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the childhood of John Forbes Nash, Jr. from 1928-1948. How was Nash perceived by his teachers and peers? When did he develop an interest in mathematics? What classes did Nash take at Bluefield College and how did they prepare him for enrollment at the Carnegie Institute?
Essay Topic 2
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nash's relationship with Paul Cohen in 1958. What was Nash's career like during this year? What relationships did he form with the University of Chicago and Harvard University? Where was Nash working in 1958? Where did he want to work?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)