|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty?
2. What year was it in Chapter Thirty-Three?
3. Where did Alicia's family first settle after coming to America?
4. When was Paul Cohen born?
5. How old was John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Thirty-One?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
2. Why did Nash decline an offer at the University of Chicago in Chapter Thirty-Four? How was his behavior described at this time?
3. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
4. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
5. Where did the Nash's spend Christmas in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to their return to the U.S.?
6. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
7. What were the doctors' impressions of Nash in Chapter Thirty-Six? With what was he diagnosed?
8. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
9. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
10. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two? Where did he go upon release?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nash's relationship with Paul Cohen in 1958. What was Nash's career like during this year? What relationships did he form with the University of Chicago and Harvard University? Where was Nash working in 1958? Where did he want to work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker and his arrest in Santa Monica. What work did Nash do with Bricker? Also discuss the theme of homosexuality in the book. Has Nash ever discussed his relationships with men? How was the book received by Nash in this regard?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)