|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Thirty, Nash decided to return to MIT because of what?
2. Where was Nash involuntarily committed in Chapter Thirty-Six?
3. In Chapter Forty-Nine, Nash was traveling where to accept the Nobel Prize?
4. Where did Alicia meet John Forbes Nash, Jr., after she had been a student of his in Chapter Twenty-Six?
5. When was the first Fields Medal awarded?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
2. How is John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Alicia described in Chapter Thirty-One? What were peoples' impressions of Alicia?
3. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
4. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
5. Where was Nash working in Chapter Forty-Three? How was his emotional state at this time?
6. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
7. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
8. How is Alicia's life described during Nash's hospitalization in Chapter Thirty-Seven? Where did she live?
9. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two? Where did he go upon release?
10. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Albert Einstein and his position and work at Princeton during the late 1940s. What notoriety had Einstein achieved by this point in history? Also discuss John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s first year at Princeton. How was Nash perceived by the faculty at the university? What was Nash's meeting with Einstein like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)