|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty?
2. On what date did Nash and Alicia arrive in London in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
3. Who had provided a research position for Nash in Boston in Chapter Forty-Three?
4. Where did Nash travel to visit a cousin in Chapter Forty-Three?
5. For what division did Nash work at New York University in Chapter Thirty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
2. Where was Nash living in Chapter Forty-Four? What happened to Nash after the death of his mother?
3. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two? Where did he go upon release?
4. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
5. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
6. What were the doctors' impressions of Nash in Chapter Thirty-Six? With what was he diagnosed?
7. In what ways did Alicia attempt to help John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Thirty-Five? What were her thoughts about her husband at this time?
8. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
9. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
10. Where did the Nash's spend Christmas in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to their return to the U.S.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the childhood of John Forbes Nash, Jr. from 1928-1948. How was Nash perceived by his teachers and peers? When did he develop an interest in mathematics? What classes did Nash take at Bluefield College and how did they prepare him for enrollment at the Carnegie Institute?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nash's relationship with Paul Cohen in 1958. What was Nash's career like during this year? What relationships did he form with the University of Chicago and Harvard University? Where was Nash working in 1958? Where did he want to work?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Korean War, Nash's draft status, and Nash's work within the field of manifolds. Why did Nash apply for deferment? Who supported him in his efforts to avoid the draft? Who coerced Nash to work with manifolds? What is the significance of Nash's work in the field?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)