|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Thirty-Seven, Alicia and what friend rented a house while Nash was hospitalized?
2. Nash won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his work in what area?
3. What year was it in Chapter Forty-Four?
4. When was Jürgen Moser born?
5. Where did Alicia go to visit a cousin of hers in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
2. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
3. How is the Nash's journey to Europe described in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What did they do upon arrival?
4. What led to Nash's winning the Nobel Prize in Chapter Forty-Eight? What issues did the Royal Swedish Academy have with Nash?
5. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
6. Where was Nash institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six? Who did he meet at the hospital and befriend?
7. How was the work of Nash being used by the U.S. government in Chapter Forty-Nine?
8. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
9. In what ways did Alicia attempt to help John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Thirty-Five? What were her thoughts about her husband at this time?
10. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. working in Chapter Thirty? What interested him about the work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss game theory and the game Kriegspiel. When and where was Kriegspiel developed? What was the role of games within the mathematics department at Princeton? What was significant about the game developed by John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Albert Tucker, Lloyd Shapley and Nash equilibrium. What is the basic premise of Nash equilibrium? What influences did Nash have from his relationships with Albert Tucker and Lloyd Shapley. What was the basis of Nash's rivalry with Shapley?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)