|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Alicia Larde born?
2. Where was Nash living with his mother in Chapter Forty-Four?
3. What is the name of the son John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Alicia Nash?
4. What is the name of the locked facility for men where Nash was contained in Chapter Thirty-Six?
5. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
2. Where was Nash institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six? Who did he meet at the hospital and befriend?
3. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
4. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
5. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
6. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
7. How is John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Alicia described in Chapter Thirty-One? What were peoples' impressions of Alicia?
8. What were the doctors' impressions of Nash in Chapter Thirty-Six? With what was he diagnosed?
9. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two? Where did he go upon release?
10. What led to Nash's winning the Nobel Prize in Chapter Forty-Eight? What issues did the Royal Swedish Academy have with Nash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Korean War, Nash's draft status, and Nash's work within the field of manifolds. Why did Nash apply for deferment? Who supported him in his efforts to avoid the draft? Who coerced Nash to work with manifolds? What is the significance of Nash's work in the field?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Princeton University and Solomon Lefshetz in 1948. How does the author describe the transitions within the mathematics department in 1948? Who were the faculty? How did Solomon Lefshetz go about recruiting Nash? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Albert Einstein and his position and work at Princeton during the late 1940s. What notoriety had Einstein achieved by this point in history? Also discuss John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s first year at Princeton. How was Nash perceived by the faculty at the university? What was Nash's meeting with Einstein like?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)