|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Alicia Larde born?
2. Nash declined the offer of a chair at the University of Chicago saying that he was becoming the emperor of what, in Chapter Thirty-Four?
3. In Chapter Thirty-Five, Alicia and Nash moved where?
4. By what month did Nash begin having problems again and try to secure a position in France in Chapter Forty-Two?
5. When was Jürgen Moser born?
Short Essay Questions
1. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
2. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
3. How is Alicia's life described during Nash's hospitalization in Chapter Thirty-Seven? Where did she live?
4. How is the Nash's journey to Europe described in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What did they do upon arrival?
5. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
6. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
7. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
8. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
9. Where did the Nash's spend Christmas in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to their return to the U.S.?
10. How was the work of Nash being used by the U.S. government in Chapter Forty-Nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nash's second summer at RAND and the setting of Santa Monica. Who traveled to California with Nash? What research did Nash conduct at the RAND Corporation during his second summer there? What relationship did Nash have with John Milnor?
Essay Topic 3
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)