|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who met with Alicia and told her about her son and her relationship with Nash in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
2. Where did Nash want to teach the most in Chapter Thirty-Three?
3. Princeton's Institute for Advanced Study was founded in what year?
4. Who gave Nash a one year research appointment in Chapter Forty-Two?
5. On what date was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s second son born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
2. What were the doctors' impressions of Nash in Chapter Thirty-Six? With what was he diagnosed?
3. Why did Nash decline an offer at the University of Chicago in Chapter Thirty-Four? How was his behavior described at this time?
4. What led to Nash's winning the Nobel Prize in Chapter Forty-Eight? What issues did the Royal Swedish Academy have with Nash?
5. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
6. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
7. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
8. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
9. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two? Where did he go upon release?
10. In what ways did Alicia attempt to help John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Thirty-Five? What were her thoughts about her husband at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Alicia Larde and the beginning of her relationship with Nash. How old was Alicia when she began dating Nash? How old was he? What attracted Alicia to Nash? How did he feel about her? What was Alicia's reaction to meeting Eleanor?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)