|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Forty-Nine, the United States government was holding an auction of what?
2. Alicia took a job where in Chapter Thirty-Five?
3. With what was John Forbes Nash, Jr. diagnosed during his first institutionalization in Chapter Thirty-Six?
4. Where did Nash want to teach the most in Chapter Thirty-Three?
5. When Nash was released from the institution in Chapter Thirty-Seven, he went to MIT and hosted what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the work of Nash being used by the U.S. government in Chapter Forty-Nine?
2. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
3. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
4. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
5. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
6. How is John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Alicia described in Chapter Thirty-One? What were peoples' impressions of Alicia?
7. Where was Nash living in Chapter Forty-Four? What happened to Nash after the death of his mother?
8. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two? Where did he go upon release?
9. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
10. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe John von Neumann, Oskar Morgenstern, The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, and "The Bargaining Problem." What was significant about the work of Morgenstern and von Neumann? How did it influence the work of John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker and his arrest in Santa Monica. What work did Nash do with Bricker? Also discuss the theme of homosexuality in the book. Has Nash ever discussed his relationships with men? How was the book received by Nash in this regard?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)