|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jürgen Moser die?
2. Where was Alicia Larde born?
3. Where did Alicia go to visit a cousin of hers in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
4. By what month did Nash begin having problems again and try to secure a position in France in Chapter Forty-Two?
5. With whom did Nash share the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Nash institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six? Who did he meet at the hospital and befriend?
2. How is John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Alicia described in Chapter Thirty-One? What were peoples' impressions of Alicia?
3. In what ways did Alicia attempt to help John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Thirty-Five? What were her thoughts about her husband at this time?
4. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
5. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
6. How are Nash's career and personal life described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
7. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
8. What led to Nash's winning the Nobel Prize in Chapter Forty-Eight? What issues did the Royal Swedish Academy have with Nash?
9. Where was Nash working in Chapter Forty-Three? How was his emotional state at this time?
10. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Princeton University and Solomon Lefshetz in 1948. How does the author describe the transitions within the mathematics department in 1948? Who were the faculty? How did Solomon Lefshetz go about recruiting Nash? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Nash's arrival at MIT, Norbert Weiner, Norman Levinson, and Donald Newman. What was the focus of Nash's research upon his arrival at MIT? How did Nash evolve as a person during this time period?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)