|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alicia found employment as what in Chapter Thirty-One?
2. What was the month and year that Nash and Alicia sailed to Europe in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
3. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty?
4. Nash received an honorary degree, Doctor of Science and Technology from what institution in 1999?
5. When was Jürgen Moser born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
2. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
3. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
4. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
5. Where was Nash living in Chapter Forty-Four? What happened to Nash after the death of his mother?
6. Where was Nash working in Chapter Forty-Three? How was his emotional state at this time?
7. How is the Nash's journey to Europe described in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What did they do upon arrival?
8. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
9. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. working in Chapter Thirty? What interested him about the work?
10. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eleanor Stier and her relationship with John Forbes Nash, Jr. When and where did Nash meet Eleanor? What was Nash's reaction when Eleanor became pregnant? What relationship did he have with his first son?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the childhood of John Forbes Nash, Jr. from 1928-1948. How was Nash perceived by his teachers and peers? When did he develop an interest in mathematics? What classes did Nash take at Bluefield College and how did they prepare him for enrollment at the Carnegie Institute?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)