|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Forty-Eight, the announcement of Nash winning the Nobel Prize was made on what date?
2. Nash and Alicia sailed on what ship in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
3. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty?
4. Alicia found employment as what in Chapter Thirty-One?
5. The hospital where Nash was institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six received permission for a court to extend Nash's stay for an additional how many days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
2. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
3. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
4. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
5. How is Alicia's life described during Nash's hospitalization in Chapter Thirty-Seven? Where did she live?
6. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
7. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
8. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
9. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
10. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Korean War, Nash's draft status, and Nash's work within the field of manifolds. Why did Nash apply for deferment? Who supported him in his efforts to avoid the draft? Who coerced Nash to work with manifolds? What is the significance of Nash's work in the field?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Albert Tucker, Lloyd Shapley and Nash equilibrium. What is the basic premise of Nash equilibrium? What influences did Nash have from his relationships with Albert Tucker and Lloyd Shapley. What was the basis of Nash's rivalry with Shapley?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nash's relationship with Paul Cohen in 1958. What was Nash's career like during this year? What relationships did he form with the University of Chicago and Harvard University? Where was Nash working in 1958? Where did he want to work?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)