|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The department chairman relieved Nash of his teaching duties for how long in Chapter Thirty-Five?
2. Princeton's Institute for Advanced Study was founded in what year?
3. In Chapter Thirty-Seven, Alicia and what friend rented a house while Nash was hospitalized?
4. What poet was also a patient at the institution where Nash was held in Chapter Thirty-Six?
5. Paul Cohen was an American mathematician best known for his proof of the independence of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Nash's journey to Europe described in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What did they do upon arrival?
2. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
3. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
4. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
5. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
6. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two? Where did he go upon release?
7. Where was Nash working in Chapter Forty-Three? How was his emotional state at this time?
8. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
9. In what ways did Alicia attempt to help John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Thirty-Five? What were her thoughts about her husband at this time?
10. How is John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Alicia described in Chapter Thirty-One? What were peoples' impressions of Alicia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Alicia Larde and the beginning of her relationship with Nash. How old was Alicia when she began dating Nash? How old was he? What attracted Alicia to Nash? How did he feel about her? What was Alicia's reaction to meeting Eleanor?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Eleanor Stier and her relationship with John Forbes Nash, Jr. When and where did Nash meet Eleanor? What was Nash's reaction when Eleanor became pregnant? What relationship did he have with his first son?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)