|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nash go upon returning to the United States in Chapter Thirty-Nine?
2. Where was Jürgen Moser born?
3. Where did Alicia meet John Forbes Nash, Jr., after she had been a student of his in Chapter Twenty-Six?
4. What was Alicia Larde called by her family?
5. In Chapter Thirty-Seven, Alicia and what friend rented a house while Nash was hospitalized?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
2. Why did Nash decline an offer at the University of Chicago in Chapter Thirty-Four? How was his behavior described at this time?
3. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
4. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
5. How are Nash's career and personal life described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
6. How is Alicia's life described during Nash's hospitalization in Chapter Thirty-Seven? Where did she live?
7. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
8. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
9. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
10. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. working in Chapter Thirty? What interested him about the work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
Essay Topic 2
Describe John von Neumann, Oskar Morgenstern, The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, and "The Bargaining Problem." What was significant about the work of Morgenstern and von Neumann? How did it influence the work of John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
Essay Topic 3
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)