|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Twenty-Eight, Nash spent the summer of 1956 where?
2. Alicia took a job where in Chapter Thirty-Five?
3. When was the first Fields Medal awarded?
4. What is the name of the son John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Alicia Nash?
5. Nash won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his work in what area?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the childhood of John Forbes Nash, Jr. from 1928-1948. How was Nash perceived by his teachers and peers? When did he develop an interest in mathematics? What classes did Nash take at Bluefield College and how did they prepare him for enrollment at the Carnegie Institute?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Princeton University and Solomon Lefshetz in 1948. How does the author describe the transitions within the mathematics department in 1948? Who were the faculty? How did Solomon Lefshetz go about recruiting Nash? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe John von Neumann, Oskar Morgenstern, The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, and "The Bargaining Problem." What was significant about the work of Morgenstern and von Neumann? How did it influence the work of John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)