|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hospital where Nash was institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six received permission for a court to extend Nash's stay for an additional how many days?
2. Nash declined the offer of a chair at the University of Chicago saying that he was becoming the emperor of what, in Chapter Thirty-Four?
3. Nash was released how many days after his commitment to the institution in Chapter Thirty-Six?
4. When was Peter Sarnak born?
5. What year was it in Chapter Forty-Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Nash's winning the Nobel Prize in Chapter Forty-Eight? What issues did the Royal Swedish Academy have with Nash?
2. Where did the Nash's spend Christmas in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to their return to the U.S.?
3. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
4. Where was Nash working in Chapter Forty-Three? How was his emotional state at this time?
5. How was the work of Nash being used by the U.S. government in Chapter Forty-Nine?
6. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. working in Chapter Thirty? What interested him about the work?
7. Where was Nash institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six? Who did he meet at the hospital and befriend?
8. How is the Nash's journey to Europe described in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What did they do upon arrival?
9. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
10. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eleanor Stier and her relationship with John Forbes Nash, Jr. When and where did Nash meet Eleanor? What was Nash's reaction when Eleanor became pregnant? What relationship did he have with his first son?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the RAND Corporation and the Cold War. Who was America's rival in the Cold War? What defense measures were taken at this time? What military work was done by the RAND Corporation? What work does RAND do today? How has the company evolved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)