|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Paul Cohen born?
2. Where was Peter Sarnak born?
3. In Chapter Thirty-Two, Nash looked for another project in which to become involved and decided to tackle the problem posed by what?
4. On what date was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s second son born?
5. Luxembourg is bordered by Belgium, France, and what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
2. How is John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Alicia described in Chapter Thirty-One? What were peoples' impressions of Alicia?
3. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
4. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
5. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
6. Where was Nash working in Chapter Forty-Three? How was his emotional state at this time?
7. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
8. What led to Nash's winning the Nobel Prize in Chapter Forty-Eight? What issues did the Royal Swedish Academy have with Nash?
9. How was the work of Nash being used by the U.S. government in Chapter Forty-Nine?
10. Where was Nash living in Chapter Forty-Four? What happened to Nash after the death of his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the childhood of John Forbes Nash, Jr. from 1928-1948. How was Nash perceived by his teachers and peers? When did he develop an interest in mathematics? What classes did Nash take at Bluefield College and how did they prepare him for enrollment at the Carnegie Institute?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 3
Describe John von Neumann, Oskar Morgenstern, The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, and "The Bargaining Problem." What was significant about the work of Morgenstern and von Neumann? How did it influence the work of John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)