|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nash want to teach the most in Chapter Thirty-Three?
2. Where in New York did John Forbes Nash, Jr. rent an apartment in Chapter Twenty-Nine?
3. Nash and Alicia sailed on what ship in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
4. Alicia found employment as what in Chapter Thirty-One?
5. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nash decline an offer at the University of Chicago in Chapter Thirty-Four? How was his behavior described at this time?
2. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
3. How is Alicia's life described during Nash's hospitalization in Chapter Thirty-Seven? Where did she live?
4. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
5. How are Nash's career and personal life described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
6. How was the work of Nash being used by the U.S. government in Chapter Forty-Nine?
7. How is the Nash's journey to Europe described in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What did they do upon arrival?
8. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
9. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
10. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 2
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Albert Tucker, Lloyd Shapley and Nash equilibrium. What is the basic premise of Nash equilibrium? What influences did Nash have from his relationships with Albert Tucker and Lloyd Shapley. What was the basis of Nash's rivalry with Shapley?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)