|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jürgen Moser die?
2. What was the month and year that Nash and Alicia sailed to Europe in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
3. When was Paul Cohen born?
4. By what month did Nash begin having problems again and try to secure a position in France in Chapter Forty-Two?
5. When Nash was released from the institution in Chapter Thirty-Seven, he went to MIT and hosted what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Nash's journey to Europe described in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What did they do upon arrival?
2. Where was Nash living in Chapter Forty-Four? What happened to Nash after the death of his mother?
3. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
4. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
5. How are Nash's career and personal life described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
6. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
7. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. working in Chapter Thirty? What interested him about the work?
8. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
9. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
10. Where was Nash institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six? Who did he meet at the hospital and befriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Alicia Larde and the beginning of her relationship with Nash. How old was Alicia when she began dating Nash? How old was he? What attracted Alicia to Nash? How did he feel about her? What was Alicia's reaction to meeting Eleanor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Nash's first institutionalization and his diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia. How did Nash's behavior change during this time? What were his colleagues' concerns? How old was Nash when symptoms of mental illness began to surface?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Korean War, Nash's draft status, and Nash's work within the field of manifolds. Why did Nash apply for deferment? Who supported him in his efforts to avoid the draft? Who coerced Nash to work with manifolds? What is the significance of Nash's work in the field?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)