|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Nash win the Leroy P. Steele Prize?
2. Where did Alicia meet John Forbes Nash, Jr., after she had been a student of his in Chapter Twenty-Six?
3. Who had provided a research position for Nash in Boston in Chapter Forty-Three?
4. Who gave Nash a one year research appointment in Chapter Forty-Two?
5. Where did Alicia take a job in New York after returning to the U.S. in Chapter Thirty-Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Nash institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six? Who did he meet at the hospital and befriend?
2. Where was Nash living in Chapter Forty-Four? What happened to Nash after the death of his mother?
3. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
4. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
5. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two? Where did he go upon release?
6. Where was Nash working in Chapter Forty-Three? How was his emotional state at this time?
7. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
8. How is Alicia's life described during Nash's hospitalization in Chapter Thirty-Seven? Where did she live?
9. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
10. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Albert Tucker, Lloyd Shapley and Nash equilibrium. What is the basic premise of Nash equilibrium? What influences did Nash have from his relationships with Albert Tucker and Lloyd Shapley. What was the basis of Nash's rivalry with Shapley?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Eleanor Stier and her relationship with John Forbes Nash, Jr. When and where did Nash meet Eleanor? What was Nash's reaction when Eleanor became pregnant? What relationship did he have with his first son?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)