|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it in Chapter Thirty-Three?
2. Where did Nash travel to visit a cousin in Chapter Forty-Three?
3. When was the first Fields Medal awarded?
4. In Chapter Thirty-Four, Nash's colleagues began to suspect that something was wrong when he talked about aliens from outer space communicating with him through what?
5. Alicia's family had been prominent and wealthy where, as described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nash decline an offer at the University of Chicago in Chapter Thirty-Four? How was his behavior described at this time?
2. Where did the Nash's spend Christmas in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to their return to the U.S.?
3. In what ways did Alicia attempt to help John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Thirty-Five? What were her thoughts about her husband at this time?
4. How was the work of Nash being used by the U.S. government in Chapter Forty-Nine?
5. What were the doctors' impressions of Nash in Chapter Thirty-Six? With what was he diagnosed?
6. How are Nash's career and personal life described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
7. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
8. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
9. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
10. Where was Nash working in Chapter Forty-Three? How was his emotional state at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the childhood of John Forbes Nash, Jr. from 1928-1948. How was Nash perceived by his teachers and peers? When did he develop an interest in mathematics? What classes did Nash take at Bluefield College and how did they prepare him for enrollment at the Carnegie Institute?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the RAND Corporation and the Cold War. Who was America's rival in the Cold War? What defense measures were taken at this time? What military work was done by the RAND Corporation? What work does RAND do today? How has the company evolved?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)