|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What institution was interested in Nash in Chapter Thirty-Three, although he applied for grant money for a sabbatical to work on research at Princeton and in Paris?
2. Where was Nash living with his mother in Chapter Forty-Four?
3. In Chapter Thirty-Four, Nash's colleagues began to suspect that something was wrong when he talked about aliens from outer space communicating with him through what?
4. By what month did Nash begin having problems again and try to secure a position in France in Chapter Forty-Two?
5. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
2. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
3. How is Alicia's life described during Nash's hospitalization in Chapter Thirty-Seven? Where did she live?
4. Where was Nash working in Chapter Forty-Three? How was his emotional state at this time?
5. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
6. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
7. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
8. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
9. How was the work of Nash being used by the U.S. government in Chapter Forty-Nine?
10. Why did Nash decline an offer at the University of Chicago in Chapter Thirty-Four? How was his behavior described at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Nash's arrival at MIT, Norbert Weiner, Norman Levinson, and Donald Newman. What was the focus of Nash's research upon his arrival at MIT? How did Nash evolve as a person during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nash's second summer at RAND and the setting of Santa Monica. Who traveled to California with Nash? What research did Nash conduct at the RAND Corporation during his second summer there? What relationship did Nash have with John Milnor?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)