|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Jürgen Moser born?
2. Where did Nash go upon returning to the United States in Chapter Thirty-Nine?
3. In Chapter Thirty-Two, Nash looked for another project in which to become involved and decided to tackle the problem posed by what?
4. Where did Alicia's family first settle after coming to America?
5. With what was John Forbes Nash, Jr. diagnosed during his first institutionalization in Chapter Thirty-Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
2. Where was Nash living in Chapter Forty-Four? What happened to Nash after the death of his mother?
3. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
4. How are Nash's career and personal life described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
5. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
6. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
7. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
8. Why did Nash decline an offer at the University of Chicago in Chapter Thirty-Four? How was his behavior described at this time?
9. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
10. How is the Nash's journey to Europe described in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What did they do upon arrival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nash's relationship with Paul Cohen in 1958. What was Nash's career like during this year? What relationships did he form with the University of Chicago and Harvard University? Where was Nash working in 1958? Where did he want to work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)