|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jürgen Moser born?
2. Alicia took a job where in Chapter Thirty-Five?
3. In Chapter Forty-Eight, the announcement of Nash winning the Nobel Prize was made on what date?
4. In what year was Nash committed to a private psychiatric hospital near Princeton in Chapter Forty-Two?
5. The Nobel Prize was established in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Alicia's life described during Nash's hospitalization in Chapter Thirty-Seven? Where did she live?
2. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
3. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
4. How are Nash's career and personal life described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
5. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
6. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
7. How is John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Alicia described in Chapter Thirty-One? What were peoples' impressions of Alicia?
8. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
9. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
10. In what ways did Alicia attempt to help John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Thirty-Five? What were her thoughts about her husband at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the RAND Corporation and the Cold War. Who was America's rival in the Cold War? What defense measures were taken at this time? What military work was done by the RAND Corporation? What work does RAND do today? How has the company evolved?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Nash's arrival at MIT, Norbert Weiner, Norman Levinson, and Donald Newman. What was the focus of Nash's research upon his arrival at MIT? How did Nash evolve as a person during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)