Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The institution Nash to which was involuntarily admitted in Chapter Thirty-Six was affiliated with what institution of higher education?
2. The hospital where Nash was institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six received permission for a court to extend Nash's stay for an additional how many days?
3. Princeton's Institute for Advanced Study was founded in what year?
4. Nash won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his work in what area?
5. Alicia took a job where in Chapter Thirty-Five?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Korean War, Nash's draft status, and Nash's work within the field of manifolds. Why did Nash apply for deferment? Who supported him in his efforts to avoid the draft? Who coerced Nash to work with manifolds? What is the significance of Nash's work in the field?
Essay Topic 3
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)