|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between the ages of twenty-four and twenty-nine, Nash had relationships with how many men?
2. What is the name of the child John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
3. Where was John von Neumann born?
4. In what year was John's sister Martha Nash born?
5. What profession did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mother hold before she married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
2. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
3. What paper does the author describe that Nash wrote in Chapter Nine? What did the paper examine?
4. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
5. What was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s reputation in his second year of college, as described in Chapter Two? Where did he decide to go to graduate school?
6. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
7. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
8. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
9. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
10. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Second Red Scare, Senator Joseph McCarthy, HUAC, and the Nash-Moser Theorem. How did McCarthyism affect the faculty at MIT? What were Nash's impressions of McCarthyism? How is the Nash-Moser Theorem defined?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)