|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nash invented a game of strategy at Princeton and what fellow student made the board for the game?
2. What profession did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mother hold before she married?
3. When was John von Neumann born?
4. What religion did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents adopt?
5. Princeton was building its faculty in what areas when John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived in Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
2. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
3. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
4. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
5. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
6. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
7. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
8. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
9. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
10. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the childhood of John Forbes Nash, Jr. from 1928-1948. How was Nash perceived by his teachers and peers? When did he develop an interest in mathematics? What classes did Nash take at Bluefield College and how did they prepare him for enrollment at the Carnegie Institute?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Eleanor Stier and her relationship with John Forbes Nash, Jr. When and where did Nash meet Eleanor? What was Nash's reaction when Eleanor became pregnant? What relationship did he have with his first son?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)