|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was John von Neumann born?
2. RAND Corporation first formed to offer research and analysis to the United States armed forces by what American aerospace manufacturer?
3. Nash invented a game of strategy at Princeton and what fellow student made the board for the game?
4. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. born?
5. Princeton was building its faculty in what areas when John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived in Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
2. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
3. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
4. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
5. Where was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two? Where did he go upon release?
6. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
7. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. working in Chapter Thirty? What interested him about the work?
8. What led to Nash's winning the Nobel Prize in Chapter Forty-Eight? What issues did the Royal Swedish Academy have with Nash?
9. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
10. How is Nash's later life described in the Epilogue? What became of his relationship with Alicia?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Albert Einstein and his position and work at Princeton during the late 1940s. What notoriety had Einstein achieved by this point in history? Also discuss John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s first year at Princeton. How was Nash perceived by the faculty at the university? What was Nash's meeting with Einstein like?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss game theory and the game Kriegspiel. When and where was Kriegspiel developed? What was the role of games within the mathematics department at Princeton? What was significant about the game developed by John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
This section contains 1,653 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)