|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash returned to Princeton to teach what while looking for a full-time position?
2. Nash's first infatuation with a man was in summer of what year?
3. What is a situation in which no player can improve his situation in game theory?
4. What is the name of the child John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s maternal grandfather held what profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
2. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
3. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
4. How was the work of Nash being used by the U.S. government in Chapter Forty-Nine?
5. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
6. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
7. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
8. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
9. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
10. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Albert Einstein and his position and work at Princeton during the late 1940s. What notoriety had Einstein achieved by this point in history? Also discuss John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s first year at Princeton. How was Nash perceived by the faculty at the university? What was Nash's meeting with Einstein like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nash's second summer at RAND and the setting of Santa Monica. Who traveled to California with Nash? What research did Nash conduct at the RAND Corporation during his second summer there? What relationship did Nash have with John Milnor?
This section contains 1,670 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)