|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Eleanor give birth to Nash's son in Chapter Twenty-Three?
2. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. take mathematics classes while in high school?
3. When was John von Neumann born?
4. The first signs of John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mental deterioration appeared in what year, according to the Prologue?
5. Nash's theorem in Chapter Fifteen basically said that it is possible for every manifold to find a part that corresponds to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
2. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
3. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
4. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
5. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
6. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
7. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
8. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
9. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
10. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Korean War, Nash's draft status, and Nash's work within the field of manifolds. Why did Nash apply for deferment? Who supported him in his efforts to avoid the draft? Who coerced Nash to work with manifolds? What is the significance of Nash's work in the field?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)