|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Prologue, John Forbes Nash, Jr. became well known as a mathematician in what year?
2. John Forbes Nash, Jr. won a Westinghouse Scholarship to study where in Chapter One?
3. On what date did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents marry?
4. RAND was set up in what year as Project RAND?
5. In Chapter Fifteen, Nash began to study the area of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
2. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
3. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
4. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
5. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
6. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
7. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
8. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
9. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
10. What paper does the author describe that Nash wrote in Chapter Nine? What did the paper examine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker and his arrest in Santa Monica. What work did Nash do with Bricker? Also discuss the theme of homosexuality in the book. Has Nash ever discussed his relationships with men? How was the book received by Nash in this regard?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss game theory and the game Kriegspiel. When and where was Kriegspiel developed? What was the role of games within the mathematics department at Princeton? What was significant about the game developed by John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)