|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his first semester at Princeton, Nash would arrange his morning walk so he could see whom taking his morning walk?
2. Nash met with von Neumann to discuss his ideas regarding what in Chapter Ten?
3. Nash presented a talk on his work at the International Congress of Mathematics when in Chapter Fifteen?
4. What was Eleanor's profession when she met John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. When was John von Neumann born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
2. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
3. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
4. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
5. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
6. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
7. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
8. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
9. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
10. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the RAND Corporation and the Cold War. Who was America's rival in the Cold War? What defense measures were taken at this time? What military work was done by the RAND Corporation? What work does RAND do today? How has the company evolved?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the childhood of John Forbes Nash, Jr. from 1928-1948. How was Nash perceived by his teachers and peers? When did he develop an interest in mathematics? What classes did Nash take at Bluefield College and how did they prepare him for enrollment at the Carnegie Institute?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Nash's arrival at MIT, Norbert Weiner, Norman Levinson, and Donald Newman. What was the focus of Nash's research upon his arrival at MIT? How did Nash evolve as a person during this time period?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)