|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nash's first infatuation with a man was with whom, as described in Chapter Twenty-Two?
2. Who did Nash ask to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
3. When did John von Neumann die?
4. How many pages was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis in Chapter Ten?
5. Where did John Forbes Nash, Sr. work during the Depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
2. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
3. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
4. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
5. What was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s reputation in his second year of college, as described in Chapter Two? Where did he decide to go to graduate school?
6. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
7. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
8. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
9. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
10. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Princeton University and Solomon Lefshetz in 1948. How does the author describe the transitions within the mathematics department in 1948? Who were the faculty? How did Solomon Lefshetz go about recruiting Nash? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker and his arrest in Santa Monica. What work did Nash do with Bricker? Also discuss the theme of homosexuality in the book. Has Nash ever discussed his relationships with men? How was the book received by Nash in this regard?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)