|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph McCarthy served as a Republican U.S. Senator from what state?
2. RAND was set up in what year as Project RAND?
3. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. take mathematics classes while in high school?
4. Nash's first infatuation with a man was with whom, as described in Chapter Twenty-Two?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s maternal grandfather held what profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
2. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
3. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
4. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
5. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
6. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
7. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
8. What led to Nash's theorem on manifolds in Chapter Twenty? What was the theory known as?
9. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
10. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nash's relationship with Paul Cohen in 1958. What was Nash's career like during this year? What relationships did he form with the University of Chicago and Harvard University? Where was Nash working in 1958? Where did he want to work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Second Red Scare, Senator Joseph McCarthy, HUAC, and the Nash-Moser Theorem. How did McCarthyism affect the faculty at MIT? What were Nash's impressions of McCarthyism? How is the Nash-Moser Theorem defined?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker and his arrest in Santa Monica. What work did Nash do with Bricker? Also discuss the theme of homosexuality in the book. Has Nash ever discussed his relationships with men? How was the book received by Nash in this regard?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)