|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much younger was John Forbes Nash, Jr. than his mistress Eleanor?
2. When did Joseph McCarthy die?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Eleanor lasted until what year?
4. Chapter Eleven describes Nash's friendship with Lloyd Shapley which began in what year?
5. When was Joseph McCarthy born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
2. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
3. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
4. What led to Nash's theorem on manifolds in Chapter Twenty? What was the theory known as?
5. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
6. What was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s reputation in his second year of college, as described in Chapter Two? Where did he decide to go to graduate school?
7. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
8. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
9. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
10. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Korean War, Nash's draft status, and Nash's work within the field of manifolds. Why did Nash apply for deferment? Who supported him in his efforts to avoid the draft? Who coerced Nash to work with manifolds? What is the significance of Nash's work in the field?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Albert Tucker, Lloyd Shapley and Nash equilibrium. What is the basic premise of Nash equilibrium? What influences did Nash have from his relationships with Albert Tucker and Lloyd Shapley. What was the basis of Nash's rivalry with Shapley?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)