|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash returned to Princeton to teach what while looking for a full-time position?
2. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics at what age?
3. Princeton was building its faculty in what areas when John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived in Chapter Three?
4. On what date did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents marry?
5. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash didn't immediately secure a deferment from the draft but he had a delay until what date?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
2. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
3. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
4. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
5. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
6. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
7. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
8. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
9. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
10. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Princeton University and Solomon Lefshetz in 1948. How does the author describe the transitions within the mathematics department in 1948? Who were the faculty? How did Solomon Lefshetz go about recruiting Nash? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Nash's arrival at MIT, Norbert Weiner, Norman Levinson, and Donald Newman. What was the focus of Nash's research upon his arrival at MIT? How did Nash evolve as a person during this time period?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)