|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Eleanor give birth to Nash's son in Chapter Twenty-Three?
2. What is the last name of Eleanor, the woman with whom Nash had an affair in Chapter Twenty-Three?
3. Kriegspiel is German for what?
4. RAND was set up in what year as Project RAND?
5. Where was Lloyd Shapley from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What paper does the author describe that Nash wrote in Chapter Nine? What did the paper examine?
2. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
3. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
4. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
5. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
6. What was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s reputation in his second year of college, as described in Chapter Two? Where did he decide to go to graduate school?
7. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
8. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
9. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
10. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nash's relationship with Paul Cohen in 1958. What was Nash's career like during this year? What relationships did he form with the University of Chicago and Harvard University? Where was Nash working in 1958? Where did he want to work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Nash's arrival at MIT, Norbert Weiner, Norman Levinson, and Donald Newman. What was the focus of Nash's research upon his arrival at MIT? How did Nash evolve as a person during this time period?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)