Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it when Nash chose who he wanted to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
2. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what month?
4. What is the name of the child John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. What refers to a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
2. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
3. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
4. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
5. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
6. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
7. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
8. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
9. How is Nash's later life described in the Epilogue? What became of his relationship with Alicia?
10. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
Describe Eleanor Stier and her relationship with John Forbes Nash, Jr. When and where did Nash meet Eleanor? What was Nash's reaction when Eleanor became pregnant? What relationship did he have with his first son?
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Describe and discuss the RAND Corporation and the Cold War. Who was America's rival in the Cold War? What defense measures were taken at this time? What military work was done by the RAND Corporation? What work does RAND do today? How has the company evolved?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)