|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was John von Neumann born?
2. What is the name of the child John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
3. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash didn't immediately secure a deferment from the draft but he had a delay until what date?
4. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics in his youth while reading what book?
5. Nash drove across country with his sister Martha and who during his second summer at RAND?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
2. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
3. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
4. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
5. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
6. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
7. What was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s reputation in his second year of college, as described in Chapter Two? Where did he decide to go to graduate school?
8. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
9. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
10. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the childhood of John Forbes Nash, Jr. from 1928-1948. How was Nash perceived by his teachers and peers? When did he develop an interest in mathematics? What classes did Nash take at Bluefield College and how did they prepare him for enrollment at the Carnegie Institute?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Albert Tucker, Lloyd Shapley and Nash equilibrium. What is the basic premise of Nash equilibrium? What influences did Nash have from his relationships with Albert Tucker and Lloyd Shapley. What was the basis of Nash's rivalry with Shapley?
Essay Topic 3
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)