Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it when Nash chose who he wanted to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
2. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what month?
4. What is the name of the child John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. What refers to a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
2. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
3. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
4. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
5. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
6. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
7. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
8. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
9. How is Nash's later life described in the Epilogue? What became of his relationship with Alicia?
10. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
Discuss the Korean War, Nash's draft status, and Nash's work within the field of manifolds. Why did Nash apply for deferment? Who supported him in his efforts to avoid the draft? Who coerced Nash to work with manifolds? What is the significance of Nash's work in the field?
Describe and discuss Albert Tucker, Lloyd Shapley and Nash equilibrium. What is the basic premise of Nash equilibrium? What influences did Nash have from his relationships with Albert Tucker and Lloyd Shapley. What was the basis of Nash's rivalry with Shapley?
Describe and discuss the RAND Corporation and the Cold War. Who was America's rival in the Cold War? What defense measures were taken at this time? What military work was done by the RAND Corporation? What work does RAND do today? How has the company evolved?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)