|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what month?
2. Nash's first infatuation with a man was with whom, as described in Chapter Twenty-Two?
3. Chapter Twenty-Four discusses Nash's friendship with what MIT graduate student?
4. The one requirement at Princeton in the mathematics department when Nash attended in Chapter Four was that the students attend what daily?
5. What year was it when Nash chose who he wanted to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
2. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
3. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
4. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
5. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
6. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
7. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
8. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
9. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
10. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Second Red Scare, Senator Joseph McCarthy, HUAC, and the Nash-Moser Theorem. How did McCarthyism affect the faculty at MIT? What were Nash's impressions of McCarthyism? How is the Nash-Moser Theorem defined?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss game theory and the game Kriegspiel. When and where was Kriegspiel developed? What was the role of games within the mathematics department at Princeton? What was significant about the game developed by John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker and his arrest in Santa Monica. What work did Nash do with Bricker? Also discuss the theme of homosexuality in the book. Has Nash ever discussed his relationships with men? How was the book received by Nash in this regard?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)