|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. RAND Corporation first formed to offer research and analysis to the United States armed forces by what American aerospace manufacturer?
2. What religion did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents adopt?
3. Nash's first infatuation with a man was with whom, as described in Chapter Twenty-Two?
4. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics at what age?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what month?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Nash's theorem on manifolds in Chapter Twenty? What was the theory known as?
2. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
3. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
4. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
5. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
6. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
7. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
8. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
9. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
10. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nash's relationship with Paul Cohen in 1958. What was Nash's career like during this year? What relationships did he form with the University of Chicago and Harvard University? Where was Nash working in 1958? Where did he want to work?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Korean War, Nash's draft status, and Nash's work within the field of manifolds. Why did Nash apply for deferment? Who supported him in his efforts to avoid the draft? Who coerced Nash to work with manifolds? What is the significance of Nash's work in the field?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)