|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a situation in which no player can improve his situation in game theory?
2. Who did the Republic of Korea fight in the Korean War?
3. What refers to a research and development program, led by the United States with participation from the United Kingdom and Canada, that produced the first atomic bomb during World War II?
4. Princeton was building its faculty in what areas when John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived in Chapter Three?
5. RAND Corporation first formed to offer research and analysis to the United States armed forces by what American aerospace manufacturer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
2. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
3. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
4. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
5. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
6. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
7. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
8. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
9. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
10. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Second Red Scare, Senator Joseph McCarthy, HUAC, and the Nash-Moser Theorem. How did McCarthyism affect the faculty at MIT? What were Nash's impressions of McCarthyism? How is the Nash-Moser Theorem defined?
Essay Topic 3
Describe John von Neumann, Oskar Morgenstern, The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, and "The Bargaining Problem." What was significant about the work of Morgenstern and von Neumann? How did it influence the work of John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)