Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it when Nash chose who he wanted to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
2. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what month?
4. What is the name of the child John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. What refers to a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
2. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
3. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
4. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
5. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
6. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
7. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
8. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
9. How is Nash's later life described in the Epilogue? What became of his relationship with Alicia?
10. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
Describe Princeton University and Solomon Lefshetz in 1948. How does the author describe the transitions within the mathematics department in 1948? Who were the faculty? How did Solomon Lefshetz go about recruiting Nash? Why?
Describe Nash's relationship with Paul Cohen in 1958. What was Nash's career like during this year? What relationships did he form with the University of Chicago and Harvard University? Where was Nash working in 1958? Where did he want to work?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)