|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter Twenty-Four discusses Nash's friendship with what MIT graduate student?
2. Kriegspiel is German for what?
3. In Chapter Twenty, Nash antagonized a colleague named what?
4. Who was the professor to whom Nash was closest at Princeton?
5. On what date did Eleanor give birth to Nash's son in Chapter Twenty-Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
2. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
3. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
4. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
5. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
6. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
7. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
8. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
9. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
10. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Alicia Larde and the beginning of her relationship with Nash. How old was Alicia when she began dating Nash? How old was he? What attracted Alicia to Nash? How did he feel about her? What was Alicia's reaction to meeting Eleanor?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)