|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much younger was John Forbes Nash, Jr. than his mistress Eleanor?
2. Where was Lloyd Shapley from?
3. What is the last name of Eleanor, the woman with whom Nash had an affair in Chapter Twenty-Three?
4. In Chapter Ten, Nash developed an equilibrium point that could apply to more than two people and wasn't necessarily what?
5. On what date did the Korean War begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
2. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
3. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
4. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
5. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
6. How is John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Alicia described in Chapter Thirty-One? What were peoples' impressions of Alicia?
7. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
8. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
9. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
10. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. working in Chapter Thirty? What interested him about the work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Second Red Scare, Senator Joseph McCarthy, HUAC, and the Nash-Moser Theorem. How did McCarthyism affect the faculty at MIT? What were Nash's impressions of McCarthyism? How is the Nash-Moser Theorem defined?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss game theory and the game Kriegspiel. When and where was Kriegspiel developed? What was the role of games within the mathematics department at Princeton? What was significant about the game developed by John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
This section contains 1,639 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)