|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Lloyd Shapley from?
2. What is the name of the child John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr. won a Westinghouse Scholarship to study where in Chapter One?
4. In Chapter Twenty, Nash was challenged to solve the problem of what?
5. In what year was John's sister Martha Nash born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
2. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
3. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
4. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
5. What was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s reputation in his second year of college, as described in Chapter Two? Where did he decide to go to graduate school?
6. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
7. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
8. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
9. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
10. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the RAND Corporation and the Cold War. Who was America's rival in the Cold War? What defense measures were taken at this time? What military work was done by the RAND Corporation? What work does RAND do today? How has the company evolved?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Albert Tucker, Lloyd Shapley and Nash equilibrium. What is the basic premise of Nash equilibrium? What influences did Nash have from his relationships with Albert Tucker and Lloyd Shapley. What was the basis of Nash's rivalry with Shapley?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)