|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nash's first infatuation with a man was with whom, as described in Chapter Twenty-Two?
2. What refers to a research and development program, led by the United States with participation from the United Kingdom and Canada, that produced the first atomic bomb during World War II?
3. When did Joseph McCarthy die?
4. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
5. RAND Corporation first formed to offer research and analysis to the United States armed forces by what American aerospace manufacturer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
2. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
3. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
4. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
5. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
6. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
7. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
8. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
9. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
10. What led to Nash's theorem on manifolds in Chapter Twenty? What was the theory known as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nash's relationship with Paul Cohen in 1958. What was Nash's career like during this year? What relationships did he form with the University of Chicago and Harvard University? Where was Nash working in 1958? Where did he want to work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Nash's first institutionalization and his diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia. How did Nash's behavior change during this time? What were his colleagues' concerns? How old was Nash when symptoms of mental illness began to surface?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss game theory and the game Kriegspiel. When and where was Kriegspiel developed? What was the role of games within the mathematics department at Princeton? What was significant about the game developed by John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)