|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash didn't immediately secure a deferment from the draft but he had a delay until what date?
2. What year was it when Nash chose who he wanted to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
3. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
4. Nash's first infatuation with a man was with whom, as described in Chapter Twenty-Two?
5. When was Lloyd Shapley born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Nash's career and personal life described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
2. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
3. What paper does the author describe that Nash wrote in Chapter Nine? What did the paper examine?
4. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
6. How did Alicia Larde meet John Forbes Nash, Jr.? How is she described in Chapter Twenty-Six?
7. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
8. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
9. What led to Nash's theorem on manifolds in Chapter Twenty? What was the theory known as?
10. Where was Nash living in Chapter Forty-Four? What happened to Nash after the death of his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Alicia Larde and the beginning of her relationship with Nash. How old was Alicia when she began dating Nash? How old was he? What attracted Alicia to Nash? How did he feel about her? What was Alicia's reaction to meeting Eleanor?
This section contains 1,671 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)