|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash didn't immediately secure a deferment from the draft but he had a delay until what date?
2. The one requirement at Princeton in the mathematics department when Nash attended in Chapter Four was that the students attend what daily?
3. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
4. Who was the chairman of the mathematics department at Princeton when Nash began attending in Chapter Four?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr. won a Westinghouse Scholarship to study where in Chapter One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
2. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
3. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
4. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
6. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
7. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
8. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
9. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
10. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Albert Tucker, Lloyd Shapley and Nash equilibrium. What is the basic premise of Nash equilibrium? What influences did Nash have from his relationships with Albert Tucker and Lloyd Shapley. What was the basis of Nash's rivalry with Shapley?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Eleanor Stier and her relationship with John Forbes Nash, Jr. When and where did Nash meet Eleanor? What was Nash's reaction when Eleanor became pregnant? What relationship did he have with his first son?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Nash's arrival at MIT, Norbert Weiner, Norman Levinson, and Donald Newman. What was the focus of Nash's research upon his arrival at MIT? How did Nash evolve as a person during this time period?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)