|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Twenty, Nash was challenged to solve the problem of what?
2. When was John von Neumann born?
3. In what year was John's sister Martha Nash born?
4. What is the name of the child John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. Between the ages of twenty-four and twenty-nine, Nash had relationships with how many men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
2. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
3. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
4. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
5. What was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s reputation in his second year of college, as described in Chapter Two? Where did he decide to go to graduate school?
6. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
7. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
8. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
9. What paper does the author describe that Nash wrote in Chapter Nine? What did the paper examine?
10. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe McLean Hospital and Robert Lowell. For how long did Nash stay as an involuntary patient at McLean? What were the thoughts of his doctors? For what reasons was poet Robert Lowell committed at the institution? How is his friendship with Nash described?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker and his arrest in Santa Monica. What work did Nash do with Bricker? Also discuss the theme of homosexuality in the book. Has Nash ever discussed his relationships with men? How was the book received by Nash in this regard?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Alicia Larde and the beginning of her relationship with Nash. How old was Alicia when she began dating Nash? How old was he? What attracted Alicia to Nash? How did he feel about her? What was Alicia's reaction to meeting Eleanor?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)