|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Lloyd Shapley's father?
2. The first signs of John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mental deterioration appeared in what year, according to the Prologue?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr. won a Westinghouse Scholarship to study where in Chapter One?
4. Where did Nash, his sister and friend rent a small apartment during Nash's second summer at RAND?
5. What refers to a research and development program, led by the United States with participation from the United Kingdom and Canada, that produced the first atomic bomb during World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
2. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
3. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
4. With whom did Nash reestablish a relationship in Chapter Fifty? How is it described?
5. How is the Nash's journey to Europe described in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What did they do upon arrival?
6. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
7. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
8. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
9. Where did the Nash's spend Christmas in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to their return to the U.S.?
10. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Princeton University and Solomon Lefshetz in 1948. How does the author describe the transitions within the mathematics department in 1948? Who were the faculty? How did Solomon Lefshetz go about recruiting Nash? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Second Red Scare, Senator Joseph McCarthy, HUAC, and the Nash-Moser Theorem. How did McCarthyism affect the faculty at MIT? What were Nash's impressions of McCarthyism? How is the Nash-Moser Theorem defined?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Riemann's Hypothesis and nonlinear theory. What was Nash warned regarding Reimann's Hypothesis? What paper did Nash present at the World Congress of Mathematics? What was hypothesized in the paper? How was it received?
This section contains 1,651 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)