|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics at what age?
2. Kriegspiel refers to a chess variant based upon the original "Kriegsspiel" developed by whom?
3. Nash's first infatuation with a man was in summer of what year?
4. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis for Princeton became known as what, as described in Chapter Ten?
5. Kriegspiel refers to a chess variant invented by whom in 1899?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
2. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
3. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
4. What led to Nash's theorem on manifolds in Chapter Twenty? What was the theory known as?
5. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
6. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
7. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
8. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
9. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
10. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Princeton University and Solomon Lefshetz in 1948. How does the author describe the transitions within the mathematics department in 1948? Who were the faculty? How did Solomon Lefshetz go about recruiting Nash? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Jürgen Moser. When was the Courant Institute established? What was the basis of Nash's work there? How did Nash feel about his career in Chapters Thirty and Thirty-One? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Second Red Scare, Senator Joseph McCarthy, HUAC, and the Nash-Moser Theorem. How did McCarthyism affect the faculty at MIT? What were Nash's impressions of McCarthyism? How is the Nash-Moser Theorem defined?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)