|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter Eleven describes Nash's friendship with Lloyd Shapley which began in what year?
2. Where did John Forbes Nash, Sr. work during the Depression?
3. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash didn't immediately secure a deferment from the draft but he had a delay until what date?
4. Between the ages of twenty-four and twenty-nine, Nash had relationships with how many men?
5. The one requirement at Princeton in the mathematics department when Nash attended in Chapter Four was that the students attend what daily?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
2. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
3. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
4. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
6. What paper does the author describe that Nash wrote in Chapter Nine? What did the paper examine?
7. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
8. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
9. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
10. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nash's second summer at RAND and the setting of Santa Monica. Who traveled to California with Nash? What research did Nash conduct at the RAND Corporation during his second summer there? What relationship did Nash have with John Milnor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Second Red Scare, Senator Joseph McCarthy, HUAC, and the Nash-Moser Theorem. How did McCarthyism affect the faculty at MIT? What were Nash's impressions of McCarthyism? How is the Nash-Moser Theorem defined?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Albert Einstein and his position and work at Princeton during the late 1940s. What notoriety had Einstein achieved by this point in history? Also discuss John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s first year at Princeton. How was Nash perceived by the faculty at the university? What was Nash's meeting with Einstein like?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)