|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Forbes Nash, Jr. was born on what date?
2. Kriegspiel is German for what?
3. During his first semester at Princeton, Nash would arrange his morning walk so he could see whom taking his morning walk?
4. What profession did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mother hold before she married?
5. In Chapter Fifteen, Nash began to study the area of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
2. What led to Nash's theorem on manifolds in Chapter Twenty? What was the theory known as?
3. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
4. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
5. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
6. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
7. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
8. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
9. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
10. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Nash's first institutionalization and his diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia. How did Nash's behavior change during this time? What were his colleagues' concerns? How old was Nash when symptoms of mental illness began to surface?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Korean War, Nash's draft status, and Nash's work within the field of manifolds. Why did Nash apply for deferment? Who supported him in his efforts to avoid the draft? Who coerced Nash to work with manifolds? What is the significance of Nash's work in the field?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Albert Tucker, Lloyd Shapley and Nash equilibrium. What is the basic premise of Nash equilibrium? What influences did Nash have from his relationships with Albert Tucker and Lloyd Shapley. What was the basis of Nash's rivalry with Shapley?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)