Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it when Nash chose who he wanted to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
2. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what month?
4. What is the name of the child John Forbes Nash, Jr. had with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. What refers to a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
2. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
3. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
4. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
5. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
6. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
7. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
8. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
9. How is Nash's later life described in the Epilogue? What became of his relationship with Alicia?
10. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Nash's arrival at MIT, Norbert Weiner, Norman Levinson, and Donald Newman. What was the focus of Nash's research upon his arrival at MIT? How did Nash evolve as a person during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nash's second summer at RAND and the setting of Santa Monica. Who traveled to California with Nash? What research did Nash conduct at the RAND Corporation during his second summer there? What relationship did Nash have with John Milnor?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)