|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first signs of John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mental deterioration appeared in what year, according to the Prologue?
2. Princeton was building its faculty in what areas when John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived in Chapter Three?
3. Joseph McCarthy served as a Republican U.S. Senator from what state?
4. On what date did Eleanor give birth to Nash's son in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. meet Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
2. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
3. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
4. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
5. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
6. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
7. What paper does the author describe that Nash wrote in Chapter Nine? What did the paper examine?
8. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
9. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
10. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe John von Neumann, Oskar Morgenstern, The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, and "The Bargaining Problem." What was significant about the work of Morgenstern and von Neumann? How did it influence the work of John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nash's work in Seattle, New York, and the Institute for Advanced Study in 1956. With what university is the Institute for Advanced Study associated? What work did Nash do there? With whom did Nash conduct research at the Institute for Advanced Study?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the childhood of John Forbes Nash, Jr. from 1928-1948. How was Nash perceived by his teachers and peers? When did he develop an interest in mathematics? What classes did Nash take at Bluefield College and how did they prepare him for enrollment at the Carnegie Institute?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)