|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Nash work on games during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen?
2. According to the Prologue, John Forbes Nash, Jr. became well known as a mathematician in what year?
3. Who did the Republic of Korea fight in the Korean War?
4. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash didn't immediately secure a deferment from the draft but he had a delay until what date?
5. Where did Nash's sister find a job during Nash's second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
2. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
3. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
4. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
5. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
6. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
7. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
8. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
9. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
10. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the RAND Corporation and the Cold War. Who was America's rival in the Cold War? What defense measures were taken at this time? What military work was done by the RAND Corporation? What work does RAND do today? How has the company evolved?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker and his arrest in Santa Monica. What work did Nash do with Bricker? Also discuss the theme of homosexuality in the book. Has Nash ever discussed his relationships with men? How was the book received by Nash in this regard?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss game theory and the game Kriegspiel. When and where was Kriegspiel developed? What was the role of games within the mathematics department at Princeton? What was significant about the game developed by John Forbes Nash, Jr.?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)