|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who co-authored The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior with John von Neumann?
2. On what date did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents marry?
3. Kriegspiel is German for what?
4. Where did Nash, his sister and friend rent a small apartment during Nash's second summer at RAND?
5. How much younger was John Forbes Nash, Jr. than his mistress Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
2. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
3. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
4. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
6. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
7. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
8. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
9. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
10. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Princeton University and Solomon Lefshetz in 1948. How does the author describe the transitions within the mathematics department in 1948? Who were the faculty? How did Solomon Lefshetz go about recruiting Nash? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker and his arrest in Santa Monica. What work did Nash do with Bricker? Also discuss the theme of homosexuality in the book. Has Nash ever discussed his relationships with men? How was the book received by Nash in this regard?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Alicia Larde and the beginning of her relationship with Nash. How old was Alicia when she began dating Nash? How old was he? What attracted Alicia to Nash? How did he feel about her? What was Alicia's reaction to meeting Eleanor?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)