|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s second son born?
(a) May 20, 1959.
(b) September 4, 1958.
(c) October 15, 1957.
(d) January 19, 1960.
2. In Chapter Forty-Eight, the announcement of Nash winning the Nobel Prize was made on what date?
(a) October 12, 1994.
(b) May 1, 1999.
(c) June 27, 1991.
(d) October 16, 1988.
3. What poet was also a patient at the institution where Nash was held in Chapter Thirty-Six?
(a) Robert Lowell.
(b) Albert Tucker.
(c) Norman Steenrod.
(d) Harlow Shapley.
4. In Chapter Thirty-Two, Nash looked for another project in which to become involved and decided to tackle the problem posed by what?
(a) Riemann's Hypothesis.
(b) Game theory.
(c) The continuum hypothesis.
(d) The Manhattan Project.
5. To what private psychiatric hospital near Princeton was Nash committed in Chapter Forty-Two?
(a) The Peace Clinic.
(b) Trenton State Hospital.
(c) McLean Hospital.
(d) The Carrier Clinic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Alicia's family first settle after coming to America?
2. In what year was Nash committed to a private psychiatric hospital near Princeton in Chapter Forty-Two?
3. When did Paul Cohen die?
4. With whom did Nash share the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences?
5. Nash received an honorary degree, Doctor of Science and Technology from what institution in 1999?
Short Essay Questions
1. When had Nash previously been considered for the Nobel Prize, as described in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why had he not been nominated?
2. How was the work of Nash being used by the U.S. government in Chapter Forty-Nine?
3. Where did Nash spend the summer of 1956? What confrontation did he have with his father during this time?
4. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
5. How are Nash's career and personal life described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
6. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
7. What led to Nash's winning the Nobel Prize in Chapter Forty-Eight? What issues did the Royal Swedish Academy have with Nash?
8. How is the relationship between Nash and Peter Sarnak described in Chapter Forty-Seven? How did they meet?
9. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
10. In what ways did Alicia attempt to help John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Thirty-Five? What were her thoughts about her husband at this time?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)