|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Studies indicate that people can recover from schizophrenia over a long number of years; Nash described it as emerging from what?
(a) Blinding rage.
(b) Irrational thinking.
(c) Overwhelming confusion.
(d) A mental war.
2. What does IMU stand for?
(a) International Mathematical Union.
(b) Infinite Mathematical Universe.
(c) International Manufacturing Union.
(d) Infinite Mechanical Universe.
3. In Chapter Thirty, Nash decided to return to MIT because of what?
(a) Tax advantages in Massachusetts.
(b) The cooler summer weather.
(c) Its proximity to the ocean.
(d) The intelligence of the locals.
4. For what division did Nash work at New York University in Chapter Thirty?
(a) The Carnegie Institute of Technology.
(b) The Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences.
(c) The Harvard Institute of Mathematical Sciences.
(d) The Antioch Institute of Technology.
5. Princeton's Institute for Advanced Study was founded by whom?
(a) Ervin Thorson.
(b) Reinhard Selten.
(c) Harlow Shapley.
(d) Abraham Flexner.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Alicia Larde born?
2. Nash and Alicia sailed on what ship in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
3. When was Paul Cohen born?
4. How old was Nash in Chapter Forty-Four?
5. With what was John Forbes Nash, Jr. diagnosed during his first institutionalization in Chapter Thirty-Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction did Alicia have with Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Seven? What was Alicia's response?
2. Where did the Nash's move after Paris in Chapter Thirty-Eight? What led to Nash's investigation?
3. In what ways did Alicia attempt to help John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Thirty-Five? What were her thoughts about her husband at this time?
4. Why did Nash decline an offer at the University of Chicago in Chapter Thirty-Four? How was his behavior described at this time?
5. Where was Nash institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six? Who did he meet at the hospital and befriend?
6. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
7. What led to John Forbes Nash, Jr. asking Alicia Larde out in Chapter Twenty-Seven?
8. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
9. How is Nash's mental state described in Chapter Forty-Two after his release from the hospital?
10. Where was Nash hospitalized in Chapter Forty? What did he think of his treatment?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)