|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a research and development program, led by the United States with participation from the United Kingdom and Canada, that produced the first atomic bomb during World War II?
(a) Project Atomic.
(b) The Roswell Project.
(c) Project Destruction.
(d) The Manhattan Project.
2. When was the Rockefeller Foundation established?
3. Nash presented a talk on his work at the International Congress of Mathematics when in Chapter Fifteen?
(a) December, 1949.
(b) September, 1950.
(c) March, 1953.
(d) April, 1952.
4. When was John von Neumann born?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis for Princeton became known as what, as described in Chapter Ten?
(a) Nash equilibrium.
(b) A zero-sum game.
(c) The continuum hypothesis.
(d) Game theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. meet Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
2. Nash's first infatuation with a man was with whom, as described in Chapter Twenty-Two?
3. What was Eleanor's profession when she met John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-Three?
4. On what date did Eleanor give birth to Nash's son in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. take mathematics classes while in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
2. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
3. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
4. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
5. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
6. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
7. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
8. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
9. Why did Nash worry about the onset of the Korean War in Chapter Fourteen? What actions did he take?
10. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)