|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nash met with von Neumann to discuss his ideas regarding what in Chapter Ten?
(a) Riemann's Hypothesis.
(b) Game theory.
(d) The continuum hypothesis.
2. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what month?
3. Nash presented a talk on his work at the International Congress of Mathematics when in Chapter Fifteen?
(a) March, 1953.
(b) September, 1950.
(c) April, 1952.
(d) December, 1949.
4. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. take mathematics classes while in high school?
(a) Bluefield College.
(b) The Carnegie Institute of Technology.
(d) The University of Chicago.
5. How many pages was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis in Chapter Ten?
Short Answer Questions
1. Nash's first infatuation with a man was with whom, as described in Chapter Twenty-Two?
2. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. meet Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
3. Nash's theorem in Chapter Fifteen basically said that it is possible for every manifold to find a part that corresponds to what?
4. Chapter Eleven describes Nash's friendship with Lloyd Shapley which began in what year?
5. On what date did the Korean War begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
2. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
3. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
4. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
5. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
6. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
7. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
8. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
9. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
10. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)