|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pages was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis in Chapter Ten?
2. Chapter Twenty-Four discusses Nash's friendship with what MIT graduate student?
(a) John Milnor.
(b) Jack Bricker.
(c) Reinhard Selten.
(d) Robert Lowell.
3. Nash's first infatuation with a man was in summer of what year?
4. When was Lloyd Shapley born?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis for Princeton became known as what, as described in Chapter Ten?
(a) A zero-sum game.
(b) The continuum hypothesis.
(c) Game theory.
(d) Nash equilibrium.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nash met with von Neumann to discuss his ideas regarding what in Chapter Ten?
2. Where did Nash's sister find a job during Nash's second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen?
3. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. take mathematics classes while in high school?
4. Who did the Republic of Korea fight in the Korean War?
5. Who was Lloyd Shapley's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
2. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
3. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
4. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
5. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
6. What was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s reputation in his second year of college, as described in Chapter Two? Where did he decide to go to graduate school?
7. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
8. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
9. What paper does the author describe that Nash wrote in Chapter Nine? What did the paper examine?
10. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)