|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. meet Eleanor in Chapter Twenty-Three?
(a) A bus stop.
(b) A library.
(c) A Boston hospital.
(d) A church mass.
2. In May 1948, Project RAND became an independent non-profit organization with initial capital from where?
(a) The Ford Foundation.
(b) The Carnegie Institute of Technology.
(c) New York University.
(d) The International Mathematical Union.
3. When did John von Neumann die?
4. What is the last name of Eleanor, the woman with whom Nash had an affair in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. Nash met with von Neumann to discuss his ideas regarding what in Chapter Ten?
(b) Riemann's Hypothesis.
(c) The continuum hypothesis.
(d) Game theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kriegspiel is German for what?
2. How old was Nash when he began teaching at MIT?
3. What year was it when Nash chose who he wanted to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
4. When was the Rockefeller Foundation established?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr. won a Westinghouse Scholarship to study where in Chapter One?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
2. Where did Nash go when he was released from the hospital in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What did Alicia do?
3. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
4. Why did Nash decline an offer at the University of Chicago in Chapter Thirty-Four? How was his behavior described at this time?
5. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
6. How is Alicia's life described during Nash's hospitalization in Chapter Thirty-Seven? Where did she live?
7. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
8. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
9. What were the doctors' impressions of Nash in Chapter Thirty-Six? With what was he diagnosed?
10. How old was Nash in Chapter Thirty-One? How did he feel about his career at this point?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)