|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Joseph McCarthy die?
2. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics in his youth while reading what book?
(a) The Geometry of Humankind.
(b) The Power of Equations.
(c) The Math Wizard.
(d) Men of Mathematics.
4. Where did Nash, his sister and friend rent a small apartment during Nash's second summer at RAND?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) Santa Barbara.
(d) Las Vegas.
5. What is the last name of Eleanor, the woman with whom Nash had an affair in Chapter Twenty-Three?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents marry?
2. What refers to a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas?
3. Nash's first infatuation with a man was in summer of what year?
4. Who was the professor to whom Nash was closest at Princeton?
5. What religion did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents adopt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
2. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
3. What led to Nash's theorem on manifolds in Chapter Twenty? What was the theory known as?
4. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
5. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
6. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
7. How does the author describe the mathematics department at Princeton in Chapter Four? How was grading determined?
8. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
9. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
10. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)