|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kriegspiel is German for what?
(b) Barking dog.
(c) War game.
2. How old was Nash when he began teaching at MIT?
3. Chapter Eleven describes Nash's friendship with Lloyd Shapley which began in what year?
4. When did John von Neumann die?
5. On what date did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents marry?
(a) June 4, 1919.
(b) September 6, 1924.
(c) April 13, 1933.
(d) May 28, 1927.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Forbes Nash, Jr. won a Westinghouse Scholarship to study where in Chapter One?
2. Who did Nash ask to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
3. In Chapter Twenty, Nash was challenged to solve the problem of what?
4. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. born?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what year, in Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
2. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
3. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
4. Who accompanied Nash in his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? Where did he live?
5. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
6. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
7. Why did Nash refuse a permanent position at RAND in Chapter Fourteen? Where did he go instead?
8. How is the political atmosphere described in Chapter Nineteen? How did it affect the faculty at MIT?
9. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
10. How is Nash's relationship with Jack Bricker described in Chapter Twenty-Four?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)