|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did John von Neumann die?
2. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s maternal grandfather held what profession?
3. Nash's first infatuation with a man was in summer of what year?
4. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. take mathematics classes while in high school?
(a) The Carnegie Institute of Technology.
(b) Bluefield College.
(d) The University of Chicago.
5. How many faculty members from MIT belonged to a Communist Party cell and were called to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee, as described in Chapter Nineteen?
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mother hold before she married?
2. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis for Princeton became known as what, as described in Chapter Ten?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr. was born on what date?
4. What year was it when Nash chose who he wanted to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
5. What was Eleanor's profession when she met John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. grow up? How were Nash's parents described in Chapter One?
2. What was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s reputation in his second year of college, as described in Chapter Two? Where did he decide to go to graduate school?
3. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
4. How old was Nash when he arrived at Princeton? What year was it? In what areas was Princeton building its faculty at this time?
5. What led to Nash's theorem on manifolds in Chapter Twenty? What was the theory known as?
6. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
7. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
8. How was Nash perceived by faculty and his peers at Princeton in Chapter Five?
9. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
10. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)