|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph McCarthy served as a Republican U.S. Senator from what state?
(c) New Mexico.
2. Chapter Eleven describes Nash's friendship with Lloyd Shapley which began in what year?
3. What year was it when Nash chose who he wanted to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
4. In Chapter Twenty, Nash was challenged to solve the problem of what?
(b) The Pythagoreon Theorum.
(c) Game theory.
(d) The Manhattan Project.
5. Where was John von Neumann born?
(c) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Ten, Nash developed an equilibrium point that could apply to more than two people and wasn't necessarily what?
2. According to the Prologue, John Forbes Nash, Jr. became well known as a mathematician in what year?
3. Kriegspiel refers to a chess variant based upon the original "Kriegsspiel" developed by whom?
4. Who was the chairman of the mathematics department at Princeton when Nash began attending in Chapter Four?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics in his youth while reading what book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s reputation in his second year of college, as described in Chapter Two? Where did he decide to go to graduate school?
2. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
3. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
4. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
5. What work did Nash do during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen? With whom did he work?
6. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
7. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
8. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
9. When did Nash begin working for RAND? How did his work there influence his thinking?
10. Where did Nash meet Eleanor? How is their relationship described in Chapter Twenty-Three?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)