|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nash's theorem in Chapter Fifteen basically said that it is possible for every manifold to find a part that corresponds to what?
(a) The original object.
(b) The Intermediate object.
(c) A basic equation.
(d) The end object.
2. When was Joseph McCarthy born?
3. How many faculty members from MIT belonged to a Communist Party cell and were called to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee, as described in Chapter Nineteen?
4. What was the name of John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mother?
5. With whom did Nash work on games during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Robert Lowell.
(b) Albert Tucker.
(c) Warren Ambrose.
(d) John Milnor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter Nineteen focuses on the McCarthy era in the spring of what year?
2. What is the last name of Eleanor, the woman with whom Nash had an affair in Chapter Twenty-Three?
3. In Chapter Twenty, Nash was challenged to solve the problem of what?
4. When was Lloyd Shapley born?
5. What refers to a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Nash living in Chapter Forty-Four? What happened to Nash after the death of his mother?
2. How does the author describe the romantic life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-One?
3. How does the author describe John von Neumann in Chapter Seven?
4. How are John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s experiences in college described in Chapter Two?
5. How is Nash's later life described in the Epilogue? What became of his relationship with Alicia?
6. What new project did Nash begin working on in Chapter Thirty-Two? Why?
7. What led John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s colleagues to suspect something was wrong with him in Chapter Thirty-Four? How did Nash describe his feelings during this time?
8. How was John Forbes Nash, Jr. described as a child in Chapter One? When did he develop an interest in mathematics?
9. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
10. What was Nash's reaction after accepting the Nobel Prize in Chapter Fifty? How did he feel about his life and career?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)