|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
2. Where did Nash's sister find a job during Nash's second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) A dentist's office.
(b) A movie theatre.
(c) A library.
(d) A bakery.
3. What religion did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents adopt?
4. Nash drove across country with his sister Martha and who during his second summer at RAND?
(a) Ruth Hincks.
(b) Robert Lowell.
(c) Reinhard Selten.
(d) Margaret Virginia Martin.
5. How much younger was John Forbes Nash, Jr. than his mistress Eleanor?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Twenty-four years.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kriegspiel refers to a chess variant based upon the original "Kriegsspiel" developed by whom?
2. In what year was John's sister Martha Nash born?
3. Between the ages of twenty-four and twenty-nine, Nash had how many children?
4. Who was the professor to whom Nash was closest at Princeton?
5. How many faculty members from MIT belonged to a Communist Party cell and were called to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee, as described in Chapter Nineteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became of the meeting between John Forbes Nash, Jr. and John von Neumann in Chapter Ten?
2. What led to Nash's work with manifolds in Chapter Fifteen? What did his theorem state?
3. What is related regarding game theory in Chapter Eight? What important book changed the way that game theory was perceived?
4. Where did Nash move in Chapter Sixteen? What job did he take and with whom did he work?
5. What paper does the author describe that Nash wrote in Chapter Nine? What did the paper examine?
6. How is Nash's thesis for Princeton described in Chapter Ten? What significance did it have?
7. How is Nash's relationship to Lloyd Shapley described in Chapter Eleven?
8. When was Nash's first son born? How did Nash respond to his son's birth in Chapter Twenty-Three?
9. What does the author write about Nash's involvement with games in Chapter Six?
10. To what faculty members was Nash most closely associated at Princeton, as described by the author in Chapter Five?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)