|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nash declined the offer of a chair at the University of Chicago saying that he was becoming the emperor of what, in Chapter Thirty-Four?
2. For what division did Nash work at New York University in Chapter Thirty?
(a) The Antioch Institute of Technology.
(b) The Harvard Institute of Mathematical Sciences.
(c) The Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences.
(d) The Carnegie Institute of Technology.
3. In Chapter Thirty, Nash decided to return to MIT because of what?
(a) Tax advantages in Massachusetts.
(b) The cooler summer weather.
(c) Its proximity to the ocean.
(d) The intelligence of the locals.
4. When did Jürgen Moser die?
5. What year was it in Chapter Forty-Four?
6. The Nobel Prize was established in what year?
7. What was Alicia Larde called by her family?
8. In Chapter Twenty-Eight, Nash spent the summer of 1956 where?
(a) St. Paul, Minnesota.
(b) Seattle, Washington.
(c) Cody, Wyoming.
(d) Austin, Texas.
9. In what year did John Forbes Nash, Jr. first ask out Alicia Larde?
10. How old was Nash in Chapter Forty-Four?
11. Alicia took a job where in Chapter Thirty-Five?
(a) Brandeis University.
(c) Carnegie Mellon University.
(d) Princeton University.
12. Where was Nash living with his mother in Chapter Forty-Four?
(a) Key West, Florida.
(b) Roanoke, Virginia.
(c) Columbus, Ohio.
(d) Buffalo, New York.
13. In Chapter Thirty-Five, Alicia and Nash moved where?
(a) Ashland, Oregon.
(b) Pueblo, Colorado.
(c) Fargo, North Dakota.
(d) West Medford, Massachusetts.
14. In what year did Nash win the Leroy P. Steele Prize?
15. Paul Cohen was an American mathematician best known for his proof of the independence of what?
(b) Game theory.
(c) The Manhattan Project.
(d) The continuum hypothesis.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Forty-Nine, Nash was traveling where to accept the Nobel Prize?
2. When was Peter Sarnak born?
3. Princeton's Institute for Advanced Study was founded by whom?
4. Nash began outpatient treatment with what psychiatrist in Chapter Forty-Three?
5. Nash received an honorary degree, Doctor of Science and Technology from what institution in 1999?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)