|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nash declined the offer of a chair at the University of Chicago saying that he was becoming the emperor of what, in Chapter Thirty-Four?
2. When did Jürgen Moser die?
3. In what year was Nash awarded the John von Neumann Theory Prize for his discovery of non-cooperative equilibria?
4. When was Peter Sarnak born?
5. Where did Alicia go to visit a cousin of hers in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
(a) New Zealand.
6. Studies indicate that people can recover from schizophrenia over a long number of years; Nash described it as emerging from what?
(a) Blinding rage.
(b) A mental war.
(c) Irrational thinking.
(d) Overwhelming confusion.
7. What does IMU stand for?
(a) Infinite Mechanical Universe.
(b) International Mathematical Union.
(c) Infinite Mathematical Universe.
(d) International Manufacturing Union.
8. In Chapter Thirty-Four, Nash's colleagues began to suspect that something was wrong when he talked about aliens from outer space communicating with him through what?
(a) Bars of soap.
(b) Cups of coffee.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The New York Times.
9. Where did Alicia take a job in New York after returning to the U.S. in Chapter Thirty-Nine?
10. When did Paul Cohen die?
11. What institution was interested in Nash in Chapter Thirty-Three, although he applied for grant money for a sabbatical to work on research at Princeton and in Paris?
(a) The University of Chicago.
(b) Antioch College.
(c) Harvard University.
(d) Bluefield College.
12. Nash began outpatient treatment with what psychiatrist in Chapter Forty-Three?
(a) Pattison Esmiol.
(b) David Gale.
(c) Oskar Morgenstern.
(d) Abraham Flexner.
13. In what year did Nash win the Leroy P. Steele Prize?
14. Nash won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his work in what area?
(a) Game theory.
(c) Riemann's Hypothesis.
(d) The continuum hypothesis.
15. Luxembourg is bordered by Belgium, France, and what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s second son born?
2. In Chapter Forty-Nine, Nash was traveling where to accept the Nobel Prize?
3. In Chapter Thirty, Nash decided to return to MIT because of what?
4. Where did Alicia go upon returning to the United States in Chapter Thirty-Nine?
5. When was Jürgen Moser born?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)