|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Alicia meet John Forbes Nash, Jr., after she had been a student of his in Chapter Twenty-Six?
(a) A scientific conference.
(b) A play.
(c) The Music Library.
(d) A hockey game.
2. Paul Cohen was an American mathematician best known for his proof of the independence of what?
(a) The Manhattan Project.
(c) Game theory.
(d) The continuum hypothesis.
3. On what date did Nash and Alicia arrive in London in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
(a) July 18, 1959.
(b) July 29, 1960.
(c) June 27, 1958.
(d) August 4, 1959.
4. Princeton's Institute for Advanced Study was founded by whom?
(a) Abraham Flexner.
(b) Reinhard Selten.
(c) Ervin Thorson.
(d) Harlow Shapley.
5. Alicia found employment as what in Chapter Thirty-One?
(a) A physics researcher.
(b) A calculus professor.
(c) An aerospace engineer.
(d) A psychologist.
6. Where did Nash go upon returning to the United States in Chapter Thirty-Nine?
(a) Marquette, Michigan.
(b) Biloxi, Mississippi.
(c) Princeton, New Jersey.
(d) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
7. With what was John Forbes Nash, Jr. diagnosed during his first institutionalization in Chapter Thirty-Six?
(a) Paranoid schizophrenia.
(b) Brain cancer.
(d) Bipolar disorder.
8. Where did Nash travel to visit a cousin in Chapter Forty-Three?
(b) South Dakota.
9. In Chapter Thirty-Four, Nash's colleagues began to suspect that something was wrong when he talked about aliens from outer space communicating with him through what?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Bars of soap.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Cups of coffee.
10. The institution Nash to which was involuntarily admitted in Chapter Thirty-Six was affiliated with what institution of higher education?
(a) Harvard Medical School.
(b) New York University.
(c) The University of Chicago.
(d) Princeton University.
11. On what date was John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s second son born?
(a) January 19, 1960.
(b) September 4, 1958.
(c) May 20, 1959.
(d) October 15, 1957.
12. The hospital where Nash was institutionalized in Chapter Thirty-Six received permission for a court to extend Nash's stay for an additional how many days?
13. In Chapter Forty-Three, Nash was back in Boston working where?
(a) Princeton University.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) The University of Chicago.
(d) Brandeis University.
14. By what month did Nash begin having problems again and try to secure a position in France in Chapter Forty-Two?
15. When was Peter Sarnak born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in New York did John Forbes Nash, Jr. rent an apartment in Chapter Twenty-Nine?
2. In Chapter Forty-Nine, the United States government was holding an auction of what?
3. Nash won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his work in what area?
4. What psychiatrist did Nash meet at a private psychiatric hospital near Princeton in Chapter Forty-Two?
5. Nash was released how many days after his commitment to the institution in Chapter Thirty-Six?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)