|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Princeton was building its faculty in what areas when John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived in Chapter Three?
(a) Geology and Earth Sciences.
(b) Mathematics and Physics.
(c) Foreign languages.
2. Who co-authored The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior with John von Neumann?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) Oskar Morgenstern.
(c) Norman Steenrod.
(d) Solomon Lefschetz.
3. Who did the Republic of Korea fight in the Korean War?
(b) The Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
4. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash returned to Princeton to teach what while looking for a full-time position?
5. Nash presented a talk on his work at the International Congress of Mathematics when in Chapter Fifteen?
(a) March, 1953.
(b) September, 1950.
(c) December, 1949.
(d) April, 1952.
6. The one requirement at Princeton in the mathematics department when Nash attended in Chapter Four was that the students attend what daily?
(a) Church services.
(b) Student meetings.
(c) A faculty tea.
(d) McAnderson's lecture.
7. How old was Nash when he began teaching at MIT?
8. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what year, in Chapter Three?
9. In Chapter Twenty, Nash antagonized a colleague named what?
(a) Solomon Lefschetz.
(b) Norman Steenrod.
(c) Warren Ambrose.
(d) Jack Bricker.
10. Between the ages of twenty-four and twenty-nine, Nash had relationships with how many men?
11. With whom did Nash work on games during his second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Albert Tucker.
(b) Warren Ambrose.
(c) John Milnor.
(d) Robert Lowell.
12. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what month?
13. Nash met with von Neumann to discuss his ideas regarding what in Chapter Ten?
(b) Game theory.
(c) Riemann's Hypothesis.
(d) The continuum hypothesis.
14. What was the name of John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mother?
15. When did John von Neumann die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kriegspiel refers to a chess variant based upon the original "Kriegsspiel" developed by whom?
2. What refers to a research and development program, led by the United States with participation from the United Kingdom and Canada, that produced the first atomic bomb during World War II?
3. How many faculty members from MIT belonged to a Communist Party cell and were called to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee, as described in Chapter Nineteen?
4. Between the ages of twenty-four and twenty-nine, Nash had how many children?
5. Where was John von Neumann born?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)