|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. RAND conducted experiments in games to see if the players did what, in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Acted as they predicted.
(b) Would lose the game.
(c) Could win the game.
(d) Acted unpredictably.
2. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash didn't immediately secure a deferment from the draft but he had a delay until what date?
(a) August 9 1949.
(b) June 30, 1951.
(c) February 15, 1950.
(d) May 11, 1952.
3. Who was the professor to whom Nash was closest at Princeton?
(a) Oskar Morgenstern.
(b) Warren Ambrose.
(c) Norman Steenrod.
(d) Lloyd Shapley.
4. When did John von Neumann die?
5. Nash's first infatuation with a man was in summer of what year?
6. When was John von Neumann born?
7. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. born?
(a) Bluefield, West Virginia.
(b) Tacoma, Washington.
(c) Sierra City, California.
(d) Chicago, Illinois.
8. Who was the chairman of the mathematics department at Princeton when Nash began attending in Chapter Four?
(a) Norman Steenrod.
(b) John David Stier.
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) Solomon Lefschetz.
9. According to the Prologue, John Forbes Nash, Jr. became well known as a mathematician in what year?
10. John Forbes Nash, Jr. was born on what date?
(a) June 13, 1928.
(b) January 2, 1913.
(c) October 19, 1940.
(d) November 25, 1935.
11. Nash invented a game of strategy at Princeton and what fellow student made the board for the game?
(a) Warren Ambrose.
(b) Lloyd Shapley.
(c) David Gale.
(d) Oskar Morgenstern.
12. Princeton was building its faculty in what areas when John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived in Chapter Three?
(b) Mathematics and Physics.
(c) Geology and Earth Sciences.
(d) Foreign languages.
13. Kriegspiel refers to a chess variant invented by whom in 1899?
(a) Lloyd Shapley.
(b) Georg von Rassewitz.
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) Henry Michael Temple.
14. When was Joseph McCarthy born?
15. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. take mathematics classes while in high school?
(a) The Carnegie Institute of Technology.
(b) Bluefield College.
(d) The University of Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents adopt?
2. What was Eleanor's profession when she met John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-Three?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s maternal grandfather held what profession?
4. Who did the Republic of Korea fight in the Korean War?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics at what age?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)