|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter Nineteen focuses on the McCarthy era in the spring of what year?
2. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics in his youth while reading what book?
(a) The Math Wizard.
(b) The Power of Equations.
(c) The Geometry of Humankind.
(d) Men of Mathematics.
3. What refers to a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas?
4. RAND was set up in what year as Project RAND?
5. In Chapter Ten, Nash developed an equilibrium point that could apply to more than two people and wasn't necessarily what?
(a) A game that could be lost.
(b) Mathematically accurate.
(c) A winnable game.
(d) A zero-sum game.
6. In Chapter Twenty, Nash was challenged to solve the problem of what?
(a) The Manhattan Project.
(c) The Pythagoreon Theorum.
(d) Game theory.
7. Where did Nash's sister find a job during Nash's second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) A library.
(b) A movie theatre.
(c) A dentist's office.
(d) A bakery.
8. Princeton was building its faculty in what areas when John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived in Chapter Three?
(b) Geology and Earth Sciences.
(c) Mathematics and Physics.
(d) Foreign languages.
9. In Chapter Fifteen, Nash began to study the area of what?
(a) Game theory.
(b) The continuum hypothesis.
(d) Riemann's Hypothesis.
10. Nash's first infatuation with a man was in summer of what year?
11. RAND conducted experiments in games to see if the players did what, in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Acted unpredictably.
(b) Would lose the game.
(c) Could win the game.
(d) Acted as they predicted.
12. How much younger was John Forbes Nash, Jr. than his mistress Eleanor?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Twenty-four years.
(d) Two years.
13. What profession did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mother hold before she married?
(a) Bus driver.
14. When was Joseph McCarthy born?
15. Kriegspiel is German for what?
(c) War game.
(d) Barking dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Lloyd Shapley's father?
2. What year was it when Nash chose who he wanted to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
3. In game theory, what describes the situation when a player has available the same information to determine all of the possible games as would be available at the end of the game?
4. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Eleanor lasted until what year?
5. Kriegspiel refers to a chess variant invented by whom in 1899?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)