|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mother hold before she married?
(a) Bus driver.
2. Where was Lloyd Shapley from?
(a) Miami, Florida.
(b) St. Louis, Missouri.
(c) Cambridge, Massachusetts.
(d) Bangor, Maine.
3. Where did Nash, his sister and friend rent a small apartment during Nash's second summer at RAND?
(a) Las Vegas.
(b) Santa Barbara.
(d) San Francisco.
4. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s maternal grandfather held what profession?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics in his youth while reading what book?
(a) The Math Wizard.
(b) The Power of Equations.
(c) Men of Mathematics.
(d) The Geometry of Humankind.
6. When was John von Neumann born?
7. On what date did Eleanor give birth to Nash's son in Chapter Twenty-Three?
(a) May 12, 1952.
(b) November 4, 1955.
(c) October 31, 1951.
(d) June 19, 1953.
8. Who was the professor to whom Nash was closest at Princeton?
(a) Norman Steenrod.
(b) Lloyd Shapley.
(c) Oskar Morgenstern.
(d) Warren Ambrose.
9. The one requirement at Princeton in the mathematics department when Nash attended in Chapter Four was that the students attend what daily?
(a) Church services.
(b) Student meetings.
(c) A faculty tea.
(d) McAnderson's lecture.
10. Kriegspiel refers to a chess variant based upon the original "Kriegsspiel" developed by whom?
(a) Henry Michael Temple.
(b) Georg von Rassewitz.
(c) Lloyd Shapley.
(d) Albert Einstein.
11. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
12. John Forbes Nash, Jr. was born on what date?
(a) June 13, 1928.
(b) January 2, 1913.
(c) October 19, 1940.
(d) November 25, 1935.
13. Nash invented a game of strategy at Princeton and what fellow student made the board for the game?
(a) Lloyd Shapley.
(b) David Gale.
(c) Warren Ambrose.
(d) Oskar Morgenstern.
14. How old was Nash when he began teaching at MIT?
15. How old was John Forbes Nash, Jr. when he arrived at Princeton in Chapter Three?
Short Answer Questions
1. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Eleanor lasted until what year?
2. In what year was John's sister Martha Nash born?
3. What refers to a research and development program, led by the United States with participation from the United Kingdom and Canada, that produced the first atomic bomb during World War II?
4. Who was the chairman of the mathematics department at Princeton when Nash began attending in Chapter Four?
5. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis for Princeton became known as what, as described in Chapter Ten?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)