|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s maternal grandfather held what profession?
2. How old was Nash when he began teaching at MIT?
3. Nash drove across country with his sister Martha and who during his second summer at RAND?
(a) Ruth Hincks.
(b) Robert Lowell.
(c) Margaret Virginia Martin.
(d) Reinhard Selten.
4. In Chapter Twenty, Nash was challenged to solve the problem of what?
(a) Game theory.
(b) The Pythagoreon Theorum.
(c) The Manhattan Project.
5. Who did Nash ask to be his thesis advisor in Chapter Ten?
(a) Lloyd Shapley.
(b) Albert Tucker.
(c) Norman Steenrod.
(d) Henry Michael Temple.
6. Who did the Republic of Korea fight in the Korean War?
(d) The Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
7. How much younger was John Forbes Nash, Jr. than his mistress Eleanor?
(a) Two years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Twenty-four years.
(d) Five years.
8. RAND conducted experiments in games to see if the players did what, in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Acted as they predicted.
(b) Acted unpredictably.
(c) Would lose the game.
(d) Could win the game.
9. In game theory, what describes the situation when a player has available the same information to determine all of the possible games as would be available at the end of the game?
(a) Perfect information.
(b) Incontrovertable evidence.
(c) Complete data.
(d) Psychic information.
10. Kriegspiel is German for what?
(b) Barking dog.
(c) War game.
11. Chapter Eleven describes Nash's friendship with Lloyd Shapley which began in what year?
12. Who was the chairman of the mathematics department at Princeton when Nash began attending in Chapter Four?
(a) John David Stier.
(b) Solomon Lefschetz.
(c) Norman Steenrod.
(d) Albert Einstein.
13. Joseph McCarthy served as a Republican U.S. Senator from what state?
(a) New Mexico.
14. RAND was set up in what year as Project RAND?
15. Nash invented a game of strategy at Princeton and what fellow student made the board for the game?
(a) Oskar Morgenstern.
(b) Lloyd Shapley.
(c) Warren Ambrose.
(d) David Gale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who co-authored The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior with John von Neumann?
2. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s relationship with Eleanor lasted until what year?
3. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics at what age?
4. Between the ages of twenty-four and twenty-nine, Nash had how many children?
5. Nash's first infatuation with a man was in summer of what year?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)