|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much younger was John Forbes Nash, Jr. than his mistress Eleanor?
(a) Two years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Twenty-four years.
(d) Twelve years.
2. Who co-authored The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior with John von Neumann?
(a) Norman Steenrod.
(b) Albert Einstein.
(c) Oskar Morgenstern.
(d) Solomon Lefschetz.
3. Where did John Forbes Nash, Jr. take mathematics classes while in high school?
(a) The University of Chicago.
(b) The Carnegie Institute of Technology.
(c) Bluefield College.
4. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash returned to Princeton to teach what while looking for a full-time position?
5. Joseph McCarthy served as a Republican U.S. Senator from what state?
(a) New Mexico.
6. John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived at Princeton in what year, in Chapter Three?
7. Where was John Forbes Nash, Jr. born?
(a) Sierra City, California.
(b) Tacoma, Washington.
(c) Bluefield, West Virginia.
(d) Chicago, Illinois.
8. Nash met with von Neumann to discuss his ideas regarding what in Chapter Ten?
(a) Riemann's Hypothesis.
(b) Game theory.
(d) The continuum hypothesis.
9. Nash's theorem in Chapter Fifteen basically said that it is possible for every manifold to find a part that corresponds to what?
(a) The end object.
(b) The original object.
(c) A basic equation.
(d) The Intermediate object.
10. When was John von Neumann born?
11. In May 1948, Project RAND became an independent non-profit organization with initial capital from where?
(a) The Carnegie Institute of Technology.
(b) New York University.
(c) The International Mathematical Union.
(d) The Ford Foundation.
12. Who was the professor to whom Nash was closest at Princeton?
(a) Lloyd Shapley.
(b) Norman Steenrod.
(c) Oskar Morgenstern.
(d) Warren Ambrose.
13. Where was Lloyd Shapley from?
(a) Miami, Florida.
(b) Bangor, Maine.
(c) St. Louis, Missouri.
(d) Cambridge, Massachusetts.
14. On what date did the Korean War begin?
(a) June 25, 1950.
(b) December 8, 1958.
(c) September 22, 1942.
(d) May 4, 1935.
15. When was the Rockefeller Foundation established?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Albert Tucker when Nash mailed the first draft of his thesis to him in Chapter Ten?
2. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash didn't immediately secure a deferment from the draft but he had a delay until what date?
3. Who was Lloyd Shapley's father?
4. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis for Princeton became known as what, as described in Chapter Ten?
5. RAND was set up in what year as Project RAND?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)