|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was John's sister Martha Nash born?
2. John Forbes Nash, Jr. won a Westinghouse Scholarship to study where in Chapter One?
(a) The University of Chicago.
(b) Bluefield College.
(d) The Carnegie Institute of Technology.
3. What is a situation in which no player can improve his situation in game theory?
(a) A zero-sum game.
(b) End game.
4. During his first semester at Princeton, Nash would arrange his morning walk so he could see whom taking his morning walk?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) Norman Steenrod.
(c) Lloyd Shapley.
(d) John Milnor.
5. In Chapter Twenty, Nash antagonized a colleague named what?
(a) Jack Bricker.
(b) Solomon Lefschetz.
(c) Warren Ambrose.
(d) Norman Steenrod.
6. What was the name of John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mother?
7. What religion did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents adopt?
8. RAND Corporation first formed to offer research and analysis to the United States armed forces by what American aerospace manufacturer?
(c) Douglas Aircraft Company.
9. The one requirement at Princeton in the mathematics department when Nash attended in Chapter Four was that the students attend what daily?
(a) McAnderson's lecture.
(b) Student meetings.
(c) A faculty tea.
(d) Church services.
10. On what date did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s parents marry?
(a) September 6, 1924.
(b) May 28, 1927.
(c) June 4, 1919.
(d) April 13, 1933.
11. How much younger was John Forbes Nash, Jr. than his mistress Eleanor?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twenty-four years.
(d) Five years.
12. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis for Princeton became known as what, as described in Chapter Ten?
(a) Game theory.
(b) A zero-sum game.
(c) The continuum hypothesis.
(d) Nash equilibrium.
13. What refers to a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas?
14. What profession did John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s mother hold before she married?
(a) Bus driver.
15. Kriegspiel refers to a chess variant based upon the original "Kriegsspiel" developed by whom?
(a) Henry Michael Temple.
(b) Albert Einstein.
(c) Lloyd Shapley.
(d) Georg von Rassewitz.
Short Answer Questions
1. In May 1948, Project RAND became an independent non-profit organization with initial capital from where?
2. Chapter Nineteen focuses on the McCarthy era in the spring of what year?
3. When did Joseph McCarthy die?
4. What was Eleanor's profession when she met John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. Princeton was building its faculty in what areas when John Forbes Nash, Jr. arrived in Chapter Three?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)