|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter Twenty-Four discusses Nash's friendship with what MIT graduate student?
(a) Reinhard Selten.
(b) Jack Bricker.
(c) Robert Lowell.
(d) John Milnor.
2. Between the ages of twenty-four and twenty-nine, Nash had relationships with how many men?
3. How old was John Forbes Nash, Jr. when he arrived at Princeton in Chapter Three?
4. What was Eleanor's profession when she met John Forbes Nash, Jr. in Chapter Twenty-Three?
5. Where did Nash, his sister and friend rent a small apartment during Nash's second summer at RAND?
(b) Las Vegas.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Santa Barbara.
6. When was John von Neumann born?
7. John Forbes Nash, Jr.'s thesis for Princeton became known as what, as described in Chapter Ten?
(a) Game theory.
(b) The continuum hypothesis.
(c) Nash equilibrium.
(d) A zero-sum game.
8. In May 1948, Project RAND became an independent non-profit organization with initial capital from where?
(a) The Carnegie Institute of Technology.
(b) New York University.
(c) The Ford Foundation.
(d) The International Mathematical Union.
9. John Forbes Nash, Jr. became interested in mathematics in his youth while reading what book?
(a) The Power of Equations.
(b) The Math Wizard.
(c) The Geometry of Humankind.
(d) Men of Mathematics.
10. John Forbes Nash, Jr. was born on what date?
(a) November 25, 1935.
(b) June 13, 1928.
(c) January 2, 1913.
(d) October 19, 1940.
11. What is the last name of Eleanor, the woman with whom Nash had an affair in Chapter Twenty-Three?
12. According to the Prologue, John Forbes Nash, Jr. became well known as a mathematician in what year?
13. Where did Nash's sister find a job during Nash's second summer at RAND in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) A dentist's office.
(b) A bakery.
(c) A library.
(d) A movie theatre.
14. Nash invented a game of strategy at Princeton and what fellow student made the board for the game?
(a) Warren Ambrose.
(b) Lloyd Shapley.
(c) Oskar Morgenstern.
(d) David Gale.
15. When did Joseph McCarthy die?
Short Answer Questions
1. During his first semester at Princeton, Nash would arrange his morning walk so he could see whom taking his morning walk?
2. When did John von Neumann die?
3. In Chapter Fourteen, Nash didn't immediately secure a deferment from the draft but he had a delay until what date?
4. In Chapter Ten, Nash developed an equilibrium point that could apply to more than two people and wasn't necessarily what?
5. How much younger was John Forbes Nash, Jr. than his mistress Eleanor?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)