|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Don continue to feel emotionally?
2. To whom does Don first tell the entire story?
3. What does Chris say he first thought about his father's injuries?
4. What kinds of people does Don seem to come in contact with following his recovery?
5. Why is Don convinced God answers prayer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
2. In what other way besides accident victim does Don help people?
3. How did his accident affect his mother and how does she help out?
4. Why does Don think he is able to help others in pain or recovery from injury?
5. What does Don need when he returns home and how are those needs met?
6. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
7. Who does Don meet at the arena in Houston? What happens when he meets him?
8. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
9. What surprised Eva most about Don in the months after the accident and what did she do about it? How does she view Don?
10. What does Don say at Joyce's memorial service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What God's purpose is for Don is difficult to discern as he lies in a depressive fog confined to a hospital bed. As much as Don wants to believe that God has brought him back to earth for a reason, he struggles to find understanding.
1. Do you think Don's reaction to the accident would be considered normal? Explain your reasoning.
2. After experiencing heaven, does it seem strange that Don would be depressed and wanting understanding? Why or why not?
3. Do you believe Don has been returned to life for a reason? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Don has difficulty discussing his trip to heaven with anyone for several years after the accident. Don told Eva only a tiny portion of what had happened, and she never pesters him with questions, sensing he is not ready to talk. One day, David Gentiles visits Don at home and asks Don how he is feeling. As the conversation progresses, Don begins to share the entire story of his ninety minutes in heaven with David.
1. Why do you think Don was able to tell his story to David and not to Eva?
2. Do you think that Don and Eva must not have a good marriage if he tells someone his story before he tells her? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you were Eva? Discuss in detail what she might have been feeling and how you would react if you were her.
Essay Topic 3
Don's view of heaven is calming, peaceful and warm. Listeners recognize that Don's story is not a hoax and find comfort and hope from its telling.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the above statement. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss how you felt about death before you read this book and how you feel now.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)