|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris say he first thought about his father's injuries?
2. What does Nicole receive for an award?
3. Who almost loses his leg when his motorcycle crashes?
4. What does Dick Onerecker do about his experience with Don?
5. What is one of Don's main questions of the medical staff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of people does Don seem to meet?
2. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
3. What does a woman who called in at a radio station tell Don and what does Don do about it?
4. After several years what had Don told Eva about his death?
5. What is one of the worst parts of Don's recovery and how do they handle it?
6. Who begins crying when Don is speaking at a church and why? What did she tell Don?
7. What is one of the major changes Eva faces during Don's recovery? How does Don react to that change?
8. What two things does Don realize after sharing his story with others?
9. Why has Don agreed to see a local police officer?
10. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don knows that people are to be compassionate and empathetic to others, but until he has his accident, he does not truly understand how to exhibit these behaviors. For Don, the process of healing is much more than learning to walk again.
1. Do you believe that people are to be compassionate and empathetic to others? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Don learned how to be compassionate as the result of his accident?
3. What do you think the second sentence above means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
It is not surprising that Don has difficulty telling others about his trip to heaven. Most people are skeptical of people claiming to have near death experiences. The connotation is that such stories are false and the people telling them are crazy.
1. Explain what you think about Don's experience. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think most people are skeptical about near death experiences? Why or why not?
3. Do you think any story about a near death experience is false? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Don has lost all control over his life and must lie helplessly while others try to help him. Despair seems the only available emotion at this stage.
1. Do you think Don's loss of control and how he feels about it is unusual for people in his situation? Why or why not?
2. Explain how you think you would feel and react if you were in Don's situation.
3. Why do you think someone might despair after having come back from the dead? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)