|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don tell Chad?
2. What does Chris do every day when he comes home from school?
3. What happens to the individual whose motorcycle crashed?
4. How many days did Don spend in the hospital?
5. Who does Don choose to tell his story to secondly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don tell about waking up and having someone holding his hand and what does he find out about that?
2. Who does Don meet at the arena in Houston? What happens when he meets him?
3. What is one of the worst parts of Don's recovery and how do they handle it?
4. Why has Don agreed to see a local police officer?
5. After several years what had Don told Eva about his death?
6. Who begins crying when Don is speaking at a church and why? What did she tell Don?
7. Why does Don think he is able to help others in pain or recovery from injury?
8. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
9. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
10. What do a couple of the studies on near death experiences say and what is Don's answer to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The boys respect the fact that Don cannot run and play like he once did and do their best to shelter their father from any disappointment by not engaging in sports with him.
1. Why do you think the boys decided to not engage in any sports with him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the boys should have handled sports in a different manner? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Don appreciated his sons not participating in sports with him or did it make him feel worse? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Although Don is surrounded by a large number of visitors, he is utterly alone. The cloud of depression that has settled over him will not dissipate and is made larger by his inability to share his feelings with anyone.
1. Why do you think Don feels so alone? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Don is depressed even though he has come back from the dead and is surrounded by people who love him. Why do you think Don is depressed? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain why you think Don should or shouldn't share his feelings with others.
Essay Topic 3
Most people would have prayed for Don's soul to find a happy home in heaven, not that a dead man would have no internal injuries. In the face of such insurmountable odds, Dick's prayers seem futile and ridiculous.
1. What kind of person do you think Dick is given his actions at the accident site?
2. Do you think if you were in Dick's position you would have done what he did? Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with the last sentence above? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)