|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Nicole say she gets help?
2. When Don feels filled with peace the night before he leaves the hospital, what doesn't he know?
3. The night before he leaves the hospital what does he know?
4. What kind of feelings does Joe say he has?
5. How did Don normally feel about people who say they've had a near death experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don still struggles with the question of why? He questions why he was in the accident, why he was allowed to glimpse heaven and why he had to come back; in short, he questions everything. Don has no answers to any of his questions. His lack of answers makes writing his story extremely difficult.
1. Why do you think Don still struggles with the why of his whole ordeal? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Don might have been allowed to glimpse heaven and then come back? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Don's lack of answers make writing his story difficult?
Essay Topic 2
Despite the large number of visitors who come to see Don in the hospital, he refuses to let anyone do anything for him. One day, Jay Perkins stops by to visit Don. Jay is a retired minister filling in for Don. Jay notices that Don never asks for help and challenges him to open up to the people who care about him. Jay tells Don that people are trying to love him in the only way they know how, but Don will not let them.
1. How would the above statement relate to the cliche, "No man is an island?"
2. Why do you think Don is refusing help from anyone? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. People in general seem to believe that doing something for someone they love is showing their love. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Although Don is surrounded by a large number of visitors, he is utterly alone. The cloud of depression that has settled over him will not dissipate and is made larger by his inability to share his feelings with anyone.
1. Why do you think Don feels so alone? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Don is depressed even though he has come back from the dead and is surrounded by people who love him. Why do you think Don is depressed? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain why you think Don should or shouldn't share his feelings with others.
This section contains 2,218 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)