|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Don feel badly about his children?
2. What is one of Don's main questions of the medical staff?
3. From where does Nicole say she gets help?
4. What does Don tell Brad about how he felt when recovering?
5. What does Don say about his experience in heaven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don need when he returns home and how are those needs met?
2. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
3. What does Don say to the police officer, Brad and his wife?
4. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
5. What is one of the worst parts of Don's recovery and how do they handle it?
6. Why does Don think he is able to help others in pain or recovery from injury?
7. How does Don deal with telling his story now?
8. Who does Don meet at the arena in Houston? What happens when he meets him?
9. How did his accident affect his mother and how does she help out?
10. Who begins crying when Don is speaking at a church and why? What did she tell Don?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people would have prayed for Don's soul to find a happy home in heaven, not that a dead man would have no internal injuries. In the face of such insurmountable odds, Dick's prayers seem futile and ridiculous.
1. What kind of person do you think Dick is given his actions at the accident site?
2. Do you think if you were in Dick's position you would have done what he did? Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with the last sentence above? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Don has lost all control over his life and must lie helplessly while others try to help him. Despair seems the only available emotion at this stage.
1. Do you think Don's loss of control and how he feels about it is unusual for people in his situation? Why or why not?
2. Explain how you think you would feel and react if you were in Don's situation.
3. Why do you think someone might despair after having come back from the dead? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Don's view of heaven is calming, peaceful and warm. Listeners recognize that Don's story is not a hoax and find comfort and hope from its telling.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the above statement. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss how you felt about death before you read this book and how you feel now.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)