|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Don describe Joyce, Eva's sister-in-law?
2. What does Dick Onerecker do about his experience with Don?
3. From where does Nicole say she gets help?
4. What does the first friend he shares the story with believe?
5. When Don is on a television show who calls to speak with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what other way besides accident victim does Don help people?
2. What does Don tell about waking up and having someone holding his hand and what does he find out about that?
3. What are some of the obstacles Don faces in daily living because of his physical problems?
4. Where did Don go in Houston and what did he have to do to get a seat? Why?
5. What kind of people does Don seem to meet?
6. What do a couple of the studies on near death experiences say and what is Don's answer to them?
7. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
8. What does Don say to the police officer, Brad and his wife?
9. What two things does Don realize after sharing his story with others?
10. What kind of award does Nicole receive and how did she qualify for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don has difficulty discussing his trip to heaven with anyone for several years after the accident. Don told Eva only a tiny portion of what had happened, and she never pesters him with questions, sensing he is not ready to talk. One day, David Gentiles visits Don at home and asks Don how he is feeling. As the conversation progresses, Don begins to share the entire story of his ninety minutes in heaven with David.
1. Why do you think Don was able to tell his story to David and not to Eva?
2. Do you think that Don and Eva must not have a good marriage if he tells someone his story before he tells her? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you were Eva? Discuss in detail what she might have been feeling and how you would react if you were her.
Essay Topic 2
Don's view of heaven is calming, peaceful and warm. Listeners recognize that Don's story is not a hoax and find comfort and hope from its telling.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the above statement. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss how you felt about death before you read this book and how you feel now.
Essay Topic 3
Dick's wife, Anita, leans over to Don and whispers that Dick never held Don's hand. Don stares at her in disbelief as Anita explains how Dick had to squeeze through the trunk and was barely able to reach Don's shoulder. Don's hand was laying on the passenger side door and there was no possible way Dick could have reached it. Don realizes that the hand he felt holding him tightly was an angel's. Don realizes that even when he does not feel it, that hand is always there supporting Don as he moves through life.
1. Do you think Don was hallucinating someone holding his hand? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dick's wife should have told Don the truth about where Dick was? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was an angel holding Don's hand when he woke? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)