|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did Don spend in the hospital?
2. What does Don tell Chad?
3. How does Brad feel when Don goes to see him?
4. Who does Don choose to tell his story to secondly?
5. What does Don tell Brad about how he felt when recovering?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Don meet at the arena in Houston? What happens when he meets him?
2. What does Don tell about waking up and having someone holding his hand and what does he find out about that?
3. What surprised Eva most about Don in the months after the accident and what did she do about it? How does she view Don?
4. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
5. What do a couple of the studies on near death experiences say and what is Don's answer to them?
6. What is one of the worst parts of Don's recovery and how do they handle it?
7. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
8. What is one of the major changes Eva faces during Don's recovery? How does Don react to that change?
9. What does Don say at Joyce's memorial service?
10. What does Don say to the police officer, Brad and his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The accident acts as a catalyst for the rest of the story.
1. What do you think the above statement means?
2. Discuss what you believe about whether one turn of events can change a person's life forever.
3. Do you think the paramedics were careless about declaring Don dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Don has difficulty discussing his trip to heaven with anyone for several years after the accident. Don told Eva only a tiny portion of what had happened, and she never pesters him with questions, sensing he is not ready to talk. One day, David Gentiles visits Don at home and asks Don how he is feeling. As the conversation progresses, Don begins to share the entire story of his ninety minutes in heaven with David.
1. Why do you think Don was able to tell his story to David and not to Eva?
2. Do you think that Don and Eva must not have a good marriage if he tells someone his story before he tells her? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you were Eva? Discuss in detail what she might have been feeling and how you would react if you were her.
Essay Topic 3
What God's purpose is for Don is difficult to discern as he lies in a depressive fog confined to a hospital bed. As much as Don wants to believe that God has brought him back to earth for a reason, he struggles to find understanding.
1. Do you think Don's reaction to the accident would be considered normal? Explain your reasoning.
2. After experiencing heaven, does it seem strange that Don would be depressed and wanting understanding? Why or why not?
3. Do you believe Don has been returned to life for a reason? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)