Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don finally realize about his life before the accident?
2. What does Chris say he first thought about his father's injuries?
3. What most surprised Eva about Don right after the accident?
4. What does Don ask his three children to do?
5. What did Joyce love to listen to?
Essay Topic 1
Although Don is surrounded by a large number of visitors, he is utterly alone. The cloud of depression that has settled over him will not dissipate and is made larger by his inability to share his feelings with anyone.
1. Why do you think Don feels so alone? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Don is depressed even though he has come back from the dead and is surrounded by people who love him. Why do you think Don is depressed? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain why you think Don should or shouldn't share his feelings with others.
Essay Topic 2
Dick's wife, Anita, leans over to Don and whispers that Dick never held Don's hand. Don stares at her in disbelief as Anita explains how Dick had to squeeze through the trunk and was barely able to reach Don's shoulder. Don's hand was laying on the passenger side door and there was no possible way Dick could have reached it. Don realizes that the hand he felt holding him tightly was an angel's. Don realizes that even when he does not feel it, that hand is always there supporting Don as he moves through life.
1. Do you think Don was hallucinating someone holding his hand? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dick's wife should have told Don the truth about where Dick was? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was an angel holding Don's hand when he woke? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The boys respect the fact that Don cannot run and play like he once did and do their best to shelter their father from any disappointment by not engaging in sports with him.
1. Why do you think the boys decided to not engage in any sports with him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the boys should have handled sports in a different manner? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Don appreciated his sons not participating in sports with him or did it make him feel worse? Why or why not?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)