|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the church move Don and his family to a new home?
2. To whom does Don first tell the entire story?
3. What does a nurse suggest to Don about his frustrations?
4. What happened to Don's mother the first time she saw him in ICU?
5. What does Don do on a ski trip with the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
2. After several years what had Don told Eva about his death?
3. What does Don say at Joyce's memorial service?
4. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
5. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
6. What does Don tell about waking up and having someone holding his hand and what does he find out about that?
7. Why has Don agreed to see a local police officer?
8. Who begins crying when Don is speaking at a church and why? What did she tell Don?
9. What surprised Eva most about Don in the months after the accident and what did she do about it? How does she view Don?
10. What does Don say to the police officer, Brad and his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the odds seem to be against Don. The positive aspect of Don's return to life is almost overshadowed by a series of negative events.
1. Would you agree that the odds seemed to be against Don? Why or why not?
2. If a man was dead and came back to life, would you consider that a negative event? Why or why not?
3. Discuss the positive and negative events that occurred in Don's life the day of the accident.
Essay Topic 2
Although Don is surrounded by a large number of visitors, he is utterly alone. The cloud of depression that has settled over him will not dissipate and is made larger by his inability to share his feelings with anyone.
1. Why do you think Don feels so alone? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Don is depressed even though he has come back from the dead and is surrounded by people who love him. Why do you think Don is depressed? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain why you think Don should or shouldn't share his feelings with others.
Essay Topic 3
Don has lost all control over his life and must lie helplessly while others try to help him. Despair seems the only available emotion at this stage.
1. Do you think Don's loss of control and how he feels about it is unusual for people in his situation? Why or why not?
2. Explain how you think you would feel and react if you were in Don's situation.
3. Why do you think someone might despair after having come back from the dead? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)