|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chris do when he every time he came home?
2. How does Brad feel when Don goes to see him?
3. What does a nurse suggest to Don about his frustrations?
4. What did Don see when he was leaning against the wall to catch his breath after going to the balcony in the arena?
5. What does one friend ask Don?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did his accident affect his mother and how does she help out?
2. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
3. What is one of the worst parts of Don's recovery and how do they handle it?
4. Who begins crying when Don is speaking at a church and why? What did she tell Don?
5. What does Don need when he returns home and how are those needs met?
6. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
7. In what other way besides accident victim does Don help people?
8. What does Don say to the police officer, Brad and his wife?
9. After several years what had Don told Eva about his death?
10. What is one of the major changes Eva faces during Don's recovery? How does Don react to that change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the large number of visitors who come to see Don in the hospital, he refuses to let anyone do anything for him. One day, Jay Perkins stops by to visit Don. Jay is a retired minister filling in for Don. Jay notices that Don never asks for help and challenges him to open up to the people who care about him. Jay tells Don that people are trying to love him in the only way they know how, but Don will not let them.
1. How would the above statement relate to the cliche, "No man is an island?"
2. Why do you think Don is refusing help from anyone? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. People in general seem to believe that doing something for someone they love is showing their love. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What God's purpose is for Don is difficult to discern as he lies in a depressive fog confined to a hospital bed. As much as Don wants to believe that God has brought him back to earth for a reason, he struggles to find understanding.
1. Do you think Don's reaction to the accident would be considered normal? Explain your reasoning.
2. After experiencing heaven, does it seem strange that Don would be depressed and wanting understanding? Why or why not?
3. Do you believe Don has been returned to life for a reason? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
As Don struggles to process what has happened to him, various people point out that Don must open himself up if he is going to survive. Don must accept the help of others, learn to share his story and adjust to a new way of living his life.
1. Discuss why it might be necessary for Don to open himself up to survive. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think everyone needs to learn to accept help from others? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the ways you've seen in the book that Don is adjusting to a new way of life?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)