|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brad feel when Don goes to see him?
2. What did Nicole call to tell her father several months after he was at her school?
3. What does Don tell Brad about how he felt when recovering?
4. What is one of Don's main questions of the medical staff?
5. What does Don think he is doing when he tells people of his time in heaven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
2. How did his accident affect his mother and how does she help out?
3. What does Don say at Joyce's memorial service?
4. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
5. What surprised Eva most about Don in the months after the accident and what did she do about it? How does she view Don?
6. What two things does Don realize after sharing his story with others?
7. What does Don say to the police officer, Brad and his wife?
8. In what other way besides accident victim does Don help people?
9. Where did Don go in Houston and what did he have to do to get a seat? Why?
10. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Don is surrounded by a large number of visitors, he is utterly alone. The cloud of depression that has settled over him will not dissipate and is made larger by his inability to share his feelings with anyone.
1. Why do you think Don feels so alone? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Don is depressed even though he has come back from the dead and is surrounded by people who love him. Why do you think Don is depressed? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain why you think Don should or shouldn't share his feelings with others.
Essay Topic 2
Don continues to suffer from severe depression. He is battling anger, which is often unleashed on the medical staff.
1. Discuss why Don might take his anger out on the medical staff.
2. Discuss how you think you would feel in Don's position?
3. Why do you think the staff tolerates Don's anger and abuse?
Essay Topic 3
Don still struggles with the question of why? He questions why he was in the accident, why he was allowed to glimpse heaven and why he had to come back; in short, he questions everything. Don has no answers to any of his questions. His lack of answers makes writing his story extremely difficult.
1. Why do you think Don still struggles with the why of his whole ordeal? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Don might have been allowed to glimpse heaven and then come back? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Don's lack of answers make writing his story difficult?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)