|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don believe about why he didn't die?
2. What amazes Don most about being on the television show?
3. How is Don taken care of at home with Eva gone to work?
4. How many days did Don spend in the hospital?
5. How is Chad's emotional state when Don visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don deal with telling his story now?
2. In what other way besides accident victim does Don help people?
3. How is Don's emotional health by Chapter Ten?
4. Why has Don agreed to see a local police officer?
5. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
6. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
7. What do a couple of the studies on near death experiences say and what is Don's answer to them?
8. What is one of the worst parts of Don's recovery and how do they handle it?
9. What kind of award does Nicole receive and how did she qualify for it?
10. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wrapping it up. Choose one of the following and write a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance:
1. Trace a major theme in the book using examples from numerous points in the book. Tell why you think it is a major theme and any symbols that illustrate the theme.
2. Compare and contrast who Don is at the beginning of the book versus the Don at the end of the book. Use details and examples to illustrate your points.
3. What do you think might have been the author's reason (i.e., the author's agenda) for writing this book? Give detailed examples to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The boys respect the fact that Don cannot run and play like he once did and do their best to shelter their father from any disappointment by not engaging in sports with him.
1. Why do you think the boys decided to not engage in any sports with him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the boys should have handled sports in a different manner? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Don appreciated his sons not participating in sports with him or did it make him feel worse? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Despite the large number of visitors who come to see Don in the hospital, he refuses to let anyone do anything for him. One day, Jay Perkins stops by to visit Don. Jay is a retired minister filling in for Don. Jay notices that Don never asks for help and challenges him to open up to the people who care about him. Jay tells Don that people are trying to love him in the only way they know how, but Don will not let them.
1. How would the above statement relate to the cliche, "No man is an island?"
2. Why do you think Don is refusing help from anyone? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. People in general seem to believe that doing something for someone they love is showing their love. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)