|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Don get home when he leaves the hospital?
2. How does Charlie when he is diagnosed with cancer after Don talks to him?
3. When Don is on a television show who calls to speak with him?
4. How does Eva see her husband?
5. To whom does Don first tell the entire story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
2. Why does Don think he is able to help others in pain or recovery from injury?
3. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
4. What does Don think about his children through his ordeal?
5. What kind of award does Nicole receive and how did she qualify for it?
6. What kind of people does Don seem to meet?
7. How does Don deal with telling his story now?
8. How is Don's emotional health by Chapter Ten?
9. In what other way besides accident victim does Don help people?
10. What does Don tell about waking up and having someone holding his hand and what does he find out about that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick's wife, Anita, leans over to Don and whispers that Dick never held Don's hand. Don stares at her in disbelief as Anita explains how Dick had to squeeze through the trunk and was barely able to reach Don's shoulder. Don's hand was laying on the passenger side door and there was no possible way Dick could have reached it. Don realizes that the hand he felt holding him tightly was an angel's. Don realizes that even when he does not feel it, that hand is always there supporting Don as he moves through life.
1. Do you think Don was hallucinating someone holding his hand? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dick's wife should have told Don the truth about where Dick was? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was an angel holding Don's hand when he woke? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The boys respect the fact that Don cannot run and play like he once did and do their best to shelter their father from any disappointment by not engaging in sports with him.
1. Why do you think the boys decided to not engage in any sports with him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the boys should have handled sports in a different manner? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Don appreciated his sons not participating in sports with him or did it make him feel worse? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Don has difficulty discussing his trip to heaven with anyone for several years after the accident. Don told Eva only a tiny portion of what had happened, and she never pesters him with questions, sensing he is not ready to talk. One day, David Gentiles visits Don at home and asks Don how he is feeling. As the conversation progresses, Don begins to share the entire story of his ninety minutes in heaven with David.
1. Why do you think Don was able to tell his story to David and not to Eva?
2. Do you think that Don and Eva must not have a good marriage if he tells someone his story before he tells her? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you were Eva? Discuss in detail what she might have been feeling and how you would react if you were her.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)