|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don finally realize about his life before the accident?
2. What does Chris say he first thought about his father's injuries?
3. What most surprised Eva about Don right after the accident?
4. What does Don ask his three children to do?
5. What did Joyce love to listen to?
Essay Topic 1
Although Don is surrounded by a large number of visitors, he is utterly alone. The cloud of depression that has settled over him will not dissipate and is made larger by his inability to share his feelings with anyone.
1. Why do you think Don feels so alone? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Don is depressed even though he has come back from the dead and is surrounded by people who love him. Why do you think Don is depressed? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain why you think Don should or shouldn't share his feelings with others.
Essay Topic 2
Don's view of heaven is calming, peaceful and warm. Listeners recognize that Don's story is not a hoax and find comfort and hope from its telling.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the above statement. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss how you felt about death before you read this book and how you feel now.
Essay Topic 3
Don continues to suffer from severe depression. He is battling anger, which is often unleashed on the medical staff.
1. Discuss why Don might take his anger out on the medical staff.
2. Discuss how you think you would feel in Don's position?
3. Why do you think the staff tolerates Don's anger and abuse?
This section contains 2,223 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)