|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Don find out later about when he woke and was singing?
2. When a woman is dying in the hospital her daughter plays a tape for her. What was she listening to when she died?
3. Why is Don reluctant to share his story?
4. What does Don think the staff expects of him when he leaves?
5. What did Joyce love to listen to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
2. Why has Don agreed to see a local police officer?
3. What is one of the worst parts of Don's recovery and how do they handle it?
4. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
5. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
6. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
7. Why does Don think he is able to help others in pain or recovery from injury?
8. What are some of the obstacles Don faces in daily living because of his physical problems?
9. In what other way besides accident victim does Don help people?
10. After several years what had Don told Eva about his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What God's purpose is for Don is difficult to discern as he lies in a depressive fog confined to a hospital bed. As much as Don wants to believe that God has brought him back to earth for a reason, he struggles to find understanding.
1. Do you think Don's reaction to the accident would be considered normal? Explain your reasoning.
2. After experiencing heaven, does it seem strange that Don would be depressed and wanting understanding? Why or why not?
3. Do you believe Don has been returned to life for a reason? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the opening to the story, we are immediately introduced to the main character, Don, and later his wife Eva. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using specific examples and details:
1. Thoroughly describe and analyze Don and his role in the book--using examples from the entire book. How does he help drive the plot? Is he a likable character? Is there anything about him that is redeemable?
2. Thoroughly describe and analyze Eva and her role in the book--using examples from the entire book. How does she help drive the plot? Is she a likable character? What about her is not so likable?
3. Analyze the interactions between Don and Eva. Would you consider their marriage to be a good marriage? Who seems to be the stronger character, Don or Eva? Why? Is Eva's life affected as much by the accident as Don's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Don continues to suffer from severe depression. He is battling anger, which is often unleashed on the medical staff.
1. Discuss why Don might take his anger out on the medical staff.
2. Discuss how you think you would feel in Don's position?
3. Why do you think the staff tolerates Don's anger and abuse?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)