|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did Don spend in the hospital?
2. What is the long prognosis for Don?
3. What does Don tell Chad?
4. How does Charlie when he is diagnosed with cancer after Don talks to him?
5. From where does Nicole say she gets help?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Don agreed to see a local police officer?
2. Who begins crying when Don is speaking at a church and why? What did she tell Don?
3. Who does Don meet at the arena in Houston? What happens when he meets him?
4. What kind of award does Nicole receive and how did she qualify for it?
5. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
6. What does Don say at Joyce's memorial service?
7. What does Don tell about waking up and having someone holding his hand and what does he find out about that?
8. How is Don's emotional health by Chapter Ten?
9. What does Don say to the police officer, Brad and his wife?
10. What is one of the major changes Eva faces during Don's recovery? How does Don react to that change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Don struggles to process what has happened to him, various people point out that Don must open himself up if he is going to survive. Don must accept the help of others, learn to share his story and adjust to a new way of living his life.
1. Discuss why it might be necessary for Don to open himself up to survive. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think everyone needs to learn to accept help from others? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the ways you've seen in the book that Don is adjusting to a new way of life?
Essay Topic 2
It is not surprising that Don has difficulty telling others about his trip to heaven. Most people are skeptical of people claiming to have near death experiences. The connotation is that such stories are false and the people telling them are crazy.
1. Explain what you think about Don's experience. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think most people are skeptical about near death experiences? Why or why not?
3. Do you think any story about a near death experience is false? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Wrapping it up. Choose one of the following and write a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance:
1. Trace a major theme in the book using examples from numerous points in the book. Tell why you think it is a major theme and any symbols that illustrate the theme.
2. Compare and contrast who Don is at the beginning of the book versus the Don at the end of the book. Use details and examples to illustrate your points.
3. What do you think might have been the author's reason (i.e., the author's agenda) for writing this book? Give detailed examples to support your response.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)