|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Chad?
2. To whom does Don first tell the entire story?
3. How did Don normally feel about people who say they've had a near death experience?
4. How does Don think his story can help people?
5. What does one study claim is the reason for near death experiences?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of people does Don seem to meet?
2. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
3. What does Don say to the police officer, Brad and his wife?
4. What does Don tell about waking up and having someone holding his hand and what does he find out about that?
5. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
6. What does a woman who called in at a radio station tell Don and what does Don do about it?
7. What kind of award does Nicole receive and how did she qualify for it?
8. What do a couple of the studies on near death experiences say and what is Don's answer to them?
9. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
10. How did his accident affect his mother and how does she help out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is not surprising that Don has difficulty telling others about his trip to heaven. Most people are skeptical of people claiming to have near death experiences. The connotation is that such stories are false and the people telling them are crazy.
1. Explain what you think about Don's experience. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think most people are skeptical about near death experiences? Why or why not?
3. Do you think any story about a near death experience is false? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dick's wife, Anita, leans over to Don and whispers that Dick never held Don's hand. Don stares at her in disbelief as Anita explains how Dick had to squeeze through the trunk and was barely able to reach Don's shoulder. Don's hand was laying on the passenger side door and there was no possible way Dick could have reached it. Don realizes that the hand he felt holding him tightly was an angel's. Don realizes that even when he does not feel it, that hand is always there supporting Don as he moves through life.
1. Do you think Don was hallucinating someone holding his hand? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dick's wife should have told Don the truth about where Dick was? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was an angel holding Don's hand when he woke? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The boys respect the fact that Don cannot run and play like he once did and do their best to shelter their father from any disappointment by not engaging in sports with him.
1. Why do you think the boys decided to not engage in any sports with him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the boys should have handled sports in a different manner? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Don appreciated his sons not participating in sports with him or did it make him feel worse? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)