|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Don look forward?
2. Why did a woman start sobbing as Don was telling his story at a church?
3. What happened to Sue Fayle's husband?
4. What is the worst part of Don's recovery?
5. What is the long prognosis for Don?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who begins crying when Don is speaking at a church and why? What did she tell Don?
2. What surprised Eva most about Don in the months after the accident and what did she do about it? How does she view Don?
3. How does Don deal with telling his story now?
4. What does Don say to the police officer, Brad and his wife?
5. What kind of award does Nicole receive and how did she qualify for it?
6. What is one of the worst parts of Don's recovery and how do they handle it?
7. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
8. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
9. What does a woman who called in at a radio station tell Don and what does Don do about it?
10. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Don struggles to process what has happened to him, various people point out that Don must open himself up if he is going to survive. Don must accept the help of others, learn to share his story and adjust to a new way of living his life.
1. Discuss why it might be necessary for Don to open himself up to survive. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think everyone needs to learn to accept help from others? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the ways you've seen in the book that Don is adjusting to a new way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Most people would have prayed for Don's soul to find a happy home in heaven, not that a dead man would have no internal injuries. In the face of such insurmountable odds, Dick's prayers seem futile and ridiculous.
1. What kind of person do you think Dick is given his actions at the accident site?
2. Do you think if you were in Dick's position you would have done what he did? Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with the last sentence above? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Now that Eva is the only breadwinner and decision maker, she gains a new confidence in herself. She also appreciates Don more for all the hard work he shoulders for the family.
1. What do you think this statement implies about Eva before the accident?
2. Do you think the above statement implies that Eva felt inferior to her husband? Why or why not?
3. Explain how you believe a woman who believes in total equality between the sexes would view the above statement.
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)