|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Don look forward?
2. What does Don say about his experience in heaven?
3. What does Chris say he first thought about his father's injuries?
4. How many days did Don spend in the hospital?
5. Who almost loses his leg when his motorcycle crashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Don agreed to see a local police officer?
2. After several years what had Don told Eva about his death?
3. Who does Don meet at the arena in Houston? What happens when he meets him?
4. What kind of people does Don seem to meet?
5. What does Don think about his children through his ordeal?
6. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
7. What does Don need when he returns home and how are those needs met?
8. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
9. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
10. What is one of the worst parts of Don's recovery and how do they handle it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don has lost all control over his life and must lie helplessly while others try to help him. Despair seems the only available emotion at this stage.
1. Do you think Don's loss of control and how he feels about it is unusual for people in his situation? Why or why not?
2. Explain how you think you would feel and react if you were in Don's situation.
3. Why do you think someone might despair after having come back from the dead? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
It is not surprising that Don has difficulty telling others about his trip to heaven. Most people are skeptical of people claiming to have near death experiences. The connotation is that such stories are false and the people telling them are crazy.
1. Explain what you think about Don's experience. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think most people are skeptical about near death experiences? Why or why not?
3. Do you think any story about a near death experience is false? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The accident acts as a catalyst for the rest of the story.
1. What do you think the above statement means?
2. Discuss what you believe about whether one turn of events can change a person's life forever.
3. Do you think the paramedics were careless about declaring Don dead? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)