|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don wish someone had given him when he was recovering?
2. What happened to Don's mother the first time she saw him in ICU?
3. What did Chris do when he every time he came home?
4. What does Don think he is doing when he tells people of his time in heaven?
5. Who takes care of Don when Eva take the children on a week long camping trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Don meet at the arena in Houston? What happens when he meets him?
2. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
3. Why has Don agreed to see a local police officer?
4. How did his accident affect his mother and how does she help out?
5. What does Don ask of his three children and how do they respond?
6. What kind of people does Don seem to meet?
7. Where did Don go in Houston and what did he have to do to get a seat? Why?
8. What do a couple of the studies on near death experiences say and what is Don's answer to them?
9. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
10. What is one of the major changes Eva faces during Don's recovery? How does Don react to that change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now that Eva is the only breadwinner and decision maker, she gains a new confidence in herself. She also appreciates Don more for all the hard work he shoulders for the family.
1. What do you think this statement implies about Eva before the accident?
2. Do you think the above statement implies that Eva felt inferior to her husband? Why or why not?
3. Explain how you believe a woman who believes in total equality between the sexes would view the above statement.
Essay Topic 2
Don's view of heaven is calming, peaceful and warm. Listeners recognize that Don's story is not a hoax and find comfort and hope from its telling.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the above statement. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss how you felt about death before you read this book and how you feel now.
Essay Topic 3
The boys respect the fact that Don cannot run and play like he once did and do their best to shelter their father from any disappointment by not engaging in sports with him.
1. Why do you think the boys decided to not engage in any sports with him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the boys should have handled sports in a different manner? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Don appreciated his sons not participating in sports with him or did it make him feel worse? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)