|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Don describe Joyce, Eva's sister-in-law?
2. What does Don often criticize about Eva?
3. What had Don at first told Eva about his death?
4. When a woman is dying in the hospital her daughter plays a tape for her. What was she listening to when she died?
5. What happened to Sue Fayle's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of award does Nicole receive and how did she qualify for it?
2. What does Don need when he returns home and how are those needs met?
3. What are some of the obstacles Don faces in daily living because of his physical problems?
4. What does David challenge Don to do and what happens?
5. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
6. In what other way besides accident victim does Don help people?
7. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
8. Where did Don go in Houston and what did he have to do to get a seat? Why?
9. What does Don tell about waking up and having someone holding his hand and what does he find out about that?
10. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Don struggles to process what has happened to him, various people point out that Don must open himself up if he is going to survive. Don must accept the help of others, learn to share his story and adjust to a new way of living his life.
1. Discuss why it might be necessary for Don to open himself up to survive. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think everyone needs to learn to accept help from others? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the ways you've seen in the book that Don is adjusting to a new way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Now that Eva is the only breadwinner and decision maker, she gains a new confidence in herself. She also appreciates Don more for all the hard work he shoulders for the family.
1. What do you think this statement implies about Eva before the accident?
2. Do you think the above statement implies that Eva felt inferior to her husband? Why or why not?
3. Explain how you believe a woman who believes in total equality between the sexes would view the above statement.
Essay Topic 3
What God's purpose is for Don is difficult to discern as he lies in a depressive fog confined to a hospital bed. As much as Don wants to believe that God has brought him back to earth for a reason, he struggles to find understanding.
1. Do you think Don's reaction to the accident would be considered normal? Explain your reasoning.
2. After experiencing heaven, does it seem strange that Don would be depressed and wanting understanding? Why or why not?
3. Do you believe Don has been returned to life for a reason? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)