|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don start to do after six weeks in the hospital?
2. Who is waiting for Don at the hospital?
3. What does Don not experience in his near death episode that many people do?
4. What does Don feel like when he wears the frame in public?
5. What was another name for Interstate Highway 45 where Don was driving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Dick and Anita and what did they do as they were driving home?
2. Who was driving the vehicle that hit Don, what was it carrying and why was that driver driving the vehicle?
3. How does Don feel about being in heaven?
4. What do the paramedics do about Don when they first arrive at the scene of the accident?
5. What are some of the coincidences that occurred around Don's accident that help him survive?
6. What does Don not experience and what does he experience when he dies?
7. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
8. What happened to the people in the other cars that were hit?
9. What does Don hear as he draws closer to the gate?
10. Who are some of the people Don sees in heaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What God's purpose is for Don is difficult to discern as he lies in a depressive fog confined to a hospital bed. As much as Don wants to believe that God has brought him back to earth for a reason, he struggles to find understanding.
1. Do you think Don's reaction to the accident would be considered normal? Explain your reasoning.
2. After experiencing heaven, does it seem strange that Don would be depressed and wanting understanding? Why or why not?
3. Do you believe Don has been returned to life for a reason? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Don has difficulty discussing his trip to heaven with anyone for several years after the accident. Don told Eva only a tiny portion of what had happened, and she never pesters him with questions, sensing he is not ready to talk. One day, David Gentiles visits Don at home and asks Don how he is feeling. As the conversation progresses, Don begins to share the entire story of his ninety minutes in heaven with David.
1. Why do you think Don was able to tell his story to David and not to Eva?
2. Do you think that Don and Eva must not have a good marriage if he tells someone his story before he tells her? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you were Eva? Discuss in detail what she might have been feeling and how you would react if you were her.
Essay Topic 3
Despite the large number of visitors who come to see Don in the hospital, he refuses to let anyone do anything for him. One day, Jay Perkins stops by to visit Don. Jay is a retired minister filling in for Don. Jay notices that Don never asks for help and challenges him to open up to the people who care about him. Jay tells Don that people are trying to love him in the only way they know how, but Don will not let them.
1. How would the above statement relate to the cliche, "No man is an island?"
2. Why do you think Don is refusing help from anyone? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. People in general seem to believe that doing something for someone they love is showing their love. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)