Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did guards call for help after Don's accident?
2. What does Dick ask the EMT person?
3. What does Dick pray for when he puts his hand on Don?
4. Where did Dick and Anita stop after leaving the conference?
5. What do the nurses clean Don's needle holes with everyday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
2. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
3. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
4. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
5. What does Don need when he returns home and how are those needs met?
6. How do the people around Don appear?
7. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
8. Where did Don go in Houston and what did he have to do to get a seat? Why?
9. What does Jay Perkins tell Don about his independent attitude?
10. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
Essay Topic 1
Don has difficulty discussing his trip to heaven with anyone for several years after the accident. Don told Eva only a tiny portion of what had happened, and she never pesters him with questions, sensing he is not ready to talk. One day, David Gentiles visits Don at home and asks Don how he is feeling. As the conversation progresses, Don begins to share the entire story of his ninety minutes in heaven with David.
1. Why do you think Don was able to tell his story to David and not to Eva?
2. Do you think that Don and Eva must not have a good marriage if he tells someone his story before he tells her? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you were Eva? Discuss in detail what she might have been feeling and how you would react if you were her.
Essay Topic 2
Now that Eva is the only breadwinner and decision maker, she gains a new confidence in herself. She also appreciates Don more for all the hard work he shoulders for the family.
1. What do you think this statement implies about Eva before the accident?
2. Do you think the above statement implies that Eva felt inferior to her husband? Why or why not?
3. Explain how you believe a woman who believes in total equality between the sexes would view the above statement.
Essay Topic 3
Wrapping it up. Choose one of the following and write a cohesive essay using specific examples and details to illustrate your stance:
1. Trace a major theme in the book using examples from numerous points in the book. Tell why you think it is a major theme and any symbols that illustrate the theme.
2. Compare and contrast who Don is at the beginning of the book versus the Don at the end of the book. Use details and examples to illustrate your points.
3. What do you think might have been the author's reason (i.e., the author's agenda) for writing this book? Give detailed examples to support your response.
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)