|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the doctors find out about Don's breathing tube?
2. From what was Don coming home when he had the accident?
3. What does Don believe as he thinks about the circumstances surrounding his accident?
4. What is the weather like the day of Don's accident?
5. Why is Don losing weight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don see when he first arrives in heaven?
2. Where does Don go after his first surgeries?
3. What is the conference Don attended focused upon?
4. Who are Dick and Anita and what did they do as they were driving home?
5. What do the paramedics do about Don when they first arrive at the scene of the accident?
6. What does Don hear as he draws closer to the gate?
7. What happens six days after Don's accident and what are Eva's and David Gentiles' response? What do the doctors discover?
8. How does Don feel about being in heaven?
9. What are some of the coincidences that occurred around Don's accident that help him survive?
10. What is the Iliazrov Frame and how is it used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the large number of visitors who come to see Don in the hospital, he refuses to let anyone do anything for him. One day, Jay Perkins stops by to visit Don. Jay is a retired minister filling in for Don. Jay notices that Don never asks for help and challenges him to open up to the people who care about him. Jay tells Don that people are trying to love him in the only way they know how, but Don will not let them.
1. How would the above statement relate to the cliche, "No man is an island?"
2. Why do you think Don is refusing help from anyone? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. People in general seem to believe that doing something for someone they love is showing their love. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Now that Eva is the only breadwinner and decision maker, she gains a new confidence in herself. She also appreciates Don more for all the hard work he shoulders for the family.
1. What do you think this statement implies about Eva before the accident?
2. Do you think the above statement implies that Eva felt inferior to her husband? Why or why not?
3. Explain how you believe a woman who believes in total equality between the sexes would view the above statement.
Essay Topic 3
Most people would have prayed for Don's soul to find a happy home in heaven, not that a dead man would have no internal injuries. In the face of such insurmountable odds, Dick's prayers seem futile and ridiculous.
1. What kind of person do you think Dick is given his actions at the accident site?
2. Do you think if you were in Dick's position you would have done what he did? Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with the last sentence above? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)