Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did guards call for help after Don's accident?
2. What does Dick ask the EMT person?
3. What does Dick pray for when he puts his hand on Don?
4. Where did Dick and Anita stop after leaving the conference?
5. What do the nurses clean Don's needle holes with everyday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
2. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
3. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
4. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
5. What does Don need when he returns home and how are those needs met?
6. How do the people around Don appear?
7. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
8. Where did Don go in Houston and what did he have to do to get a seat? Why?
9. What does Jay Perkins tell Don about his independent attitude?
10. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
Most people would have prayed for Don's soul to find a happy home in heaven, not that a dead man would have no internal injuries. In the face of such insurmountable odds, Dick's prayers seem futile and ridiculous.
1. What kind of person do you think Dick is given his actions at the accident site?
2. Do you think if you were in Dick's position you would have done what he did? Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with the last sentence above? Why or why not?
The boys respect the fact that Don cannot run and play like he once did and do their best to shelter their father from any disappointment by not engaging in sports with him.
1. Why do you think the boys decided to not engage in any sports with him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the boys should have handled sports in a different manner? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Don appreciated his sons not participating in sports with him or did it make him feel worse? Why or why not?
Don has lost all control over his life and must lie helplessly while others try to help him. Despair seems the only available emotion at this stage.
1. Do you think Don's loss of control and how he feels about it is unusual for people in his situation? Why or why not?
2. Explain how you think you would feel and react if you were in Don's situation.
3. Why do you think someone might despair after having come back from the dead? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)