|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Physically, how did Don describe the people around him?
2. What does Don refuse from all of his visitors?
3. Why is Don losing weight?
4. What does Dick ask the EMT person?
5. What was another name for Interstate Highway 45 where Don was driving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Dick and Anita and what did they do as they were driving home?
2. What hit Don and what happened to his car?
3. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
4. Where does Don go after he leaves the accident scene?
5. What does Don not experience and what does he experience when he dies?
6. How does Don feel about being in heaven?
7. What happened to the people in the other cars that were hit?
8. What is one thing that happens that gives Don hope?
9. What is the Iliazrov Frame and how is it used?
10. Who does Don meet in the hospital that helps him and how do they meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The accident acts as a catalyst for the rest of the story.
1. What do you think the above statement means?
2. Discuss what you believe about whether one turn of events can change a person's life forever.
3. Do you think the paramedics were careless about declaring Don dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Don continues to suffer from severe depression. He is battling anger, which is often unleashed on the medical staff.
1. Discuss why Don might take his anger out on the medical staff.
2. Discuss how you think you would feel in Don's position?
3. Why do you think the staff tolerates Don's anger and abuse?
Essay Topic 3
As Don struggles to process what has happened to him, various people point out that Don must open himself up if he is going to survive. Don must accept the help of others, learn to share his story and adjust to a new way of living his life.
1. Discuss why it might be necessary for Don to open himself up to survive. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think everyone needs to learn to accept help from others? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the ways you've seen in the book that Don is adjusting to a new way of life?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)