|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the justice of peace been called?
2. What does Don feel like when he wears the frame in public?
3. Who was driving the vehicle that hit Don?
4. What does Don start to do after six weeks in the hospital?
5. Why does Dick scramble from Don's car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the coincidences that occurred around Don's accident that help him survive?
2. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
3. What does one of the EMTs tell Dick and what does he do?
4. What is the Iliazrov Frame and how is it used?
5. Who was driving the vehicle that hit Don, what was it carrying and why was that driver driving the vehicle?
6. Where does Don go after he leaves the accident scene?
7. Who does Don meet in the hospital that helps him and how do they meet?
8. What do the EMTs do when they arrive at the accident site and then when they've seen all the victims?
9. What is one thing that happens that gives Don hope?
10. What is the conference Don attended focused upon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Don struggles to process what has happened to him, various people point out that Don must open himself up if he is going to survive. Don must accept the help of others, learn to share his story and adjust to a new way of living his life.
1. Discuss why it might be necessary for Don to open himself up to survive. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think everyone needs to learn to accept help from others? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the ways you've seen in the book that Don is adjusting to a new way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Although Don is surrounded by a large number of visitors, he is utterly alone. The cloud of depression that has settled over him will not dissipate and is made larger by his inability to share his feelings with anyone.
1. Why do you think Don feels so alone? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Don is depressed even though he has come back from the dead and is surrounded by people who love him. Why do you think Don is depressed? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain why you think Don should or shouldn't share his feelings with others.
Essay Topic 3
Don still struggles with the question of why? He questions why he was in the accident, why he was allowed to glimpse heaven and why he had to come back; in short, he questions everything. Don has no answers to any of his questions. His lack of answers makes writing his story extremely difficult.
1. Why do you think Don still struggles with the why of his whole ordeal? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Don might have been allowed to glimpse heaven and then come back? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Don's lack of answers make writing his story difficult?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)