|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick ask the EMT person?
2. What did the EMTs do after tending to the other victims?
3. Physically, how did Don describe the people around him?
4. What kind of emotion does Don continue to have?
5. How does Don feel after all the care is given everyday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
2. What are some of the obstacles Don faces in daily living because of his physical problems?
3. How did his accident affect his mother and how does she help out?
4. What do the EMTs do when they arrive at the accident site and then when they've seen all the victims?
5. What is the conference Don attended focused upon?
6. What is the Iliazrov Frame and how is it used?
7. What kind of people does Don seem to meet?
8. What route does Don take to return home and what is that route like?
9. Why is a justice of the peace called to the scene?
10. What does Dick do when he goes to Don's car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The accident acts as a catalyst for the rest of the story.
1. What do you think the above statement means?
2. Discuss what you believe about whether one turn of events can change a person's life forever.
3. Do you think the paramedics were careless about declaring Don dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As Don struggles to process what has happened to him, various people point out that Don must open himself up if he is going to survive. Don must accept the help of others, learn to share his story and adjust to a new way of living his life.
1. Discuss why it might be necessary for Don to open himself up to survive. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think everyone needs to learn to accept help from others? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the ways you've seen in the book that Don is adjusting to a new way of life?
Essay Topic 3
Don continues to suffer from severe depression. He is battling anger, which is often unleashed on the medical staff.
1. Discuss why Don might take his anger out on the medical staff.
2. Discuss how you think you would feel in Don's position?
3. Why do you think the staff tolerates Don's anger and abuse?
This section contains 2,826 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)