|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the driver of the vehicle that hit Don's car?
2. Why does Don exhaust himself with his visitors?
3. What do the nurses tell him about the patients Don keeps hearing moan and scream?
4. Why is Eva signing the papers instead of Don?
5. When is Don able to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eva decide to limit the number of visitors Don sees a day?
2. What is one thing that happens that gives Don hope?
3. What happened to the people in the other cars that were hit?
4. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
5. Who are Dick and Anita and what did they do as they were driving home?
6. Where does Don go after he leaves the accident scene?
7. Who does Don meet in the hospital that helps him and how do they meet?
8. How does Don feel about being in heaven?
9. What does Don see when he first arrives in heaven?
10. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Don struggles to process what has happened to him, various people point out that Don must open himself up if he is going to survive. Don must accept the help of others, learn to share his story and adjust to a new way of living his life.
1. Discuss why it might be necessary for Don to open himself up to survive. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think everyone needs to learn to accept help from others? Why or why not?
3. What are some of the ways you've seen in the book that Don is adjusting to a new way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Although Don is surrounded by a large number of visitors, he is utterly alone. The cloud of depression that has settled over him will not dissipate and is made larger by his inability to share his feelings with anyone.
1. Why do you think Don feels so alone? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Don is depressed even though he has come back from the dead and is surrounded by people who love him. Why do you think Don is depressed? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain why you think Don should or shouldn't share his feelings with others.
Essay Topic 3
Most people would have prayed for Don's soul to find a happy home in heaven, not that a dead man would have no internal injuries. In the face of such insurmountable odds, Dick's prayers seem futile and ridiculous.
1. What kind of person do you think Dick is given his actions at the accident site?
2. Do you think if you were in Dick's position you would have done what he did? Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with the last sentence above? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)