|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did guards call for help after Don's accident?
2. What does Dick ask the EMT person?
3. What does Dick pray for when he puts his hand on Don?
4. Where did Dick and Anita stop after leaving the conference?
5. What do the nurses clean Don's needle holes with everyday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
2. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
3. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
4. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
5. What does Don need when he returns home and how are those needs met?
6. How do the people around Don appear?
7. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
8. Where did Don go in Houston and what did he have to do to get a seat? Why?
9. What does Jay Perkins tell Don about his independent attitude?
10. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
Essay Topic 1
The boys respect the fact that Don cannot run and play like he once did and do their best to shelter their father from any disappointment by not engaging in sports with him.
1. Why do you think the boys decided to not engage in any sports with him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the boys should have handled sports in a different manner? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Don appreciated his sons not participating in sports with him or did it make him feel worse? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dick's wife, Anita, leans over to Don and whispers that Dick never held Don's hand. Don stares at her in disbelief as Anita explains how Dick had to squeeze through the trunk and was barely able to reach Don's shoulder. Don's hand was laying on the passenger side door and there was no possible way Dick could have reached it. Don realizes that the hand he felt holding him tightly was an angel's. Don realizes that even when he does not feel it, that hand is always there supporting Don as he moves through life.
1. Do you think Don was hallucinating someone holding his hand? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dick's wife should have told Don the truth about where Dick was? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was an angel holding Don's hand when he woke? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Don knows that people are to be compassionate and empathetic to others, but until he has his accident, he does not truly understand how to exhibit these behaviors. For Don, the process of healing is much more than learning to walk again.
1. Do you believe that people are to be compassionate and empathetic to others? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Don learned how to be compassionate as the result of his accident?
3. What do you think the second sentence above means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,978 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)