|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Don wedged in the car?
2. What year did Don have his accident?
3. Of what does Don become aware as he moves towards the gate?
4. From what was Don coming home when he had the accident?
5. Where was Don's car struck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Don go after he leaves the accident scene?
2. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
3. What route does Don take to return home and what is that route like?
4. Why does Eva decide to limit the number of visitors Don sees a day?
5. What is the Iliazrov Frame and how is it used?
6. What do the EMTs do when they arrive at the accident site and then when they've seen all the victims?
7. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
8. Where does Don go after his first surgeries?
9. What are the first injuries Don has that they fix immediately at the hospital?
10. How do the people around Don appear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick's wife, Anita, leans over to Don and whispers that Dick never held Don's hand. Don stares at her in disbelief as Anita explains how Dick had to squeeze through the trunk and was barely able to reach Don's shoulder. Don's hand was laying on the passenger side door and there was no possible way Dick could have reached it. Don realizes that the hand he felt holding him tightly was an angel's. Don realizes that even when he does not feel it, that hand is always there supporting Don as he moves through life.
1. Do you think Don was hallucinating someone holding his hand? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dick's wife should have told Don the truth about where Dick was? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was an angel holding Don's hand when he woke? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It is not surprising that Don has difficulty telling others about his trip to heaven. Most people are skeptical of people claiming to have near death experiences. The connotation is that such stories are false and the people telling them are crazy.
1. Explain what you think about Don's experience. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think most people are skeptical about near death experiences? Why or why not?
3. Do you think any story about a near death experience is false? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Don still struggles with the question of why? He questions why he was in the accident, why he was allowed to glimpse heaven and why he had to come back; in short, he questions everything. Don has no answers to any of his questions. His lack of answers makes writing his story extremely difficult.
1. Why do you think Don still struggles with the why of his whole ordeal? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Don might have been allowed to glimpse heaven and then come back? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Don's lack of answers make writing his story difficult?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)