Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did guards call for help after Don's accident?
2. What does Dick ask the EMT person?
3. What does Dick pray for when he puts his hand on Don?
4. Where did Dick and Anita stop after leaving the conference?
5. What do the nurses clean Don's needle holes with everyday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
2. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
3. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
4. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
5. What does Don need when he returns home and how are those needs met?
6. How do the people around Don appear?
7. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
8. Where did Don go in Houston and what did he have to do to get a seat? Why?
9. What does Jay Perkins tell Don about his independent attitude?
10. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
Essay Topic 1
Despite the large number of visitors who come to see Don in the hospital, he refuses to let anyone do anything for him. One day, Jay Perkins stops by to visit Don. Jay is a retired minister filling in for Don. Jay notices that Don never asks for help and challenges him to open up to the people who care about him. Jay tells Don that people are trying to love him in the only way they know how, but Don will not let them.
1. How would the above statement relate to the cliche, "No man is an island?"
2. Why do you think Don is refusing help from anyone? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. People in general seem to believe that doing something for someone they love is showing their love. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Don continues to suffer from severe depression. He is battling anger, which is often unleashed on the medical staff.
1. Discuss why Don might take his anger out on the medical staff.
2. Discuss how you think you would feel in Don's position?
3. Why do you think the staff tolerates Don's anger and abuse?
Essay Topic 3
Most people would have prayed for Don's soul to find a happy home in heaven, not that a dead man would have no internal injuries. In the face of such insurmountable odds, Dick's prayers seem futile and ridiculous.
1. What kind of person do you think Dick is given his actions at the accident site?
2. Do you think if you were in Dick's position you would have done what he did? Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with the last sentence above? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)