|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Don when he is a few steps away from entering the gate?
2. Why does Don refuse to talk to anyone about his experience in heaven?
3. What does Don believe as he thinks about the circumstances surrounding his accident?
4. Who invented the Iliazrov frame?
5. What kind of emotion does Don continue to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Don on a daily or basis that leaves him in pain and exhausted?
2. What does Don not experience and what does he experience when he dies?
3. What is one thing that happens that gives Don hope?
4. What does Don see when he first arrives in heaven?
5. What do the EMTs do when they arrive at the accident site and then when they've seen all the victims?
6. What are some of the coincidences that occurred around Don's accident that help him survive?
7. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
8. Who was driving the vehicle that hit Don, what was it carrying and why was that driver driving the vehicle?
9. Why is a justice of the peace called to the scene?
10. Who are Dick and Anita and what did they do as they were driving home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most people would have prayed for Don's soul to find a happy home in heaven, not that a dead man would have no internal injuries. In the face of such insurmountable odds, Dick's prayers seem futile and ridiculous.
1. What kind of person do you think Dick is given his actions at the accident site?
2. Do you think if you were in Dick's position you would have done what he did? Why or why not?
3. Do you agree with the last sentence above? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The accident acts as a catalyst for the rest of the story.
1. What do you think the above statement means?
2. Discuss what you believe about whether one turn of events can change a person's life forever.
3. Do you think the paramedics were careless about declaring Don dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Don still struggles with the question of why? He questions why he was in the accident, why he was allowed to glimpse heaven and why he had to come back; in short, he questions everything. Don has no answers to any of his questions. His lack of answers makes writing his story extremely difficult.
1. Why do you think Don still struggles with the why of his whole ordeal? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Don might have been allowed to glimpse heaven and then come back? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Don's lack of answers make writing his story difficult?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)