|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was one of the first people he saw who was not a relative?
2. What does Don start to do after six weeks in the hospital?
3. What does Eva see about the visitors?
4. What does Eva request of the nursing staff?
5. Why does Don exhaust himself with his visitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hit Don and what happened to his car?
2. How do the people around Don appear?
3. What is the conference Don attended focused upon?
4. Why is a justice of the peace called to the scene?
5. What does Don hear as he draws closer to the gate?
6. What does one of the EMTs tell Dick and what does he do?
7. What are the first injuries Don has that they fix immediately at the hospital?
8. What is the Iliazrov Frame and how is it used?
9. Who was driving the vehicle that hit Don, what was it carrying and why was that driver driving the vehicle?
10. What route does Don take to return home and what is that route like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The accident acts as a catalyst for the rest of the story.
1. What do you think the above statement means?
2. Discuss what you believe about whether one turn of events can change a person's life forever.
3. Do you think the paramedics were careless about declaring Don dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dick's wife, Anita, leans over to Don and whispers that Dick never held Don's hand. Don stares at her in disbelief as Anita explains how Dick had to squeeze through the trunk and was barely able to reach Don's shoulder. Don's hand was laying on the passenger side door and there was no possible way Dick could have reached it. Don realizes that the hand he felt holding him tightly was an angel's. Don realizes that even when he does not feel it, that hand is always there supporting Don as he moves through life.
1. Do you think Don was hallucinating someone holding his hand? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Dick's wife should have told Don the truth about where Dick was? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it was an angel holding Don's hand when he woke? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At the opening to the story, we are immediately introduced to the main character, Don, and later his wife Eva. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using specific examples and details:
1. Thoroughly describe and analyze Don and his role in the book--using examples from the entire book. How does he help drive the plot? Is he a likable character? Is there anything about him that is redeemable?
2. Thoroughly describe and analyze Eva and her role in the book--using examples from the entire book. How does she help drive the plot? Is she a likable character? What about her is not so likable?
3. Analyze the interactions between Don and Eva. Would you consider their marriage to be a good marriage? Who seems to be the stronger character, Don or Eva? Why? Is Eva's life affected as much by the accident as Don's? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)