|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Eva signing the papers instead of Don?
2. What does Dick decide to do when they see the accident?
3. What does Don realize about the people he sees?
4. Why is Don losing weight?
5. What was the road like when it crossed the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people around Don appear?
2. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
3. What happens six days after Don's accident and what are Eva's and David Gentiles' response? What do the doctors discover?
4. What is the conference Don attended focused upon?
5. What are some of the coincidences that occurred around Don's accident that help him survive?
6. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
7. What route does Don take to return home and what is that route like?
8. What is one thing that happens that gives Don hope?
9. What does Don see when he first arrives in heaven?
10. What do the EMTs do when they arrive at the accident site and then when they've seen all the victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the odds seem to be against Don. The positive aspect of Don's return to life is almost overshadowed by a series of negative events.
1. Would you agree that the odds seemed to be against Don? Why or why not?
2. If a man was dead and came back to life, would you consider that a negative event? Why or why not?
3. Discuss the positive and negative events that occurred in Don's life the day of the accident.
Essay Topic 2
Despite the large number of visitors who come to see Don in the hospital, he refuses to let anyone do anything for him. One day, Jay Perkins stops by to visit Don. Jay is a retired minister filling in for Don. Jay notices that Don never asks for help and challenges him to open up to the people who care about him. Jay tells Don that people are trying to love him in the only way they know how, but Don will not let them.
1. How would the above statement relate to the cliche, "No man is an island?"
2. Why do you think Don is refusing help from anyone? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. People in general seem to believe that doing something for someone they love is showing their love. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Now that Eva is the only breadwinner and decision maker, she gains a new confidence in herself. She also appreciates Don more for all the hard work he shoulders for the family.
1. What do you think this statement implies about Eva before the accident?
2. Do you think the above statement implies that Eva felt inferior to her husband? Why or why not?
3. Explain how you believe a woman who believes in total equality between the sexes would view the above statement.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)