Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did guards call for help after Don's accident?
2. What does Dick ask the EMT person?
3. What does Dick pray for when he puts his hand on Don?
4. Where did Dick and Anita stop after leaving the conference?
5. What do the nurses clean Don's needle holes with everyday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sees Don off when he leaves the hospital and what do they expect?
2. With whom does Don finally share his entire story and how did it go?
3. What did Don do instead of watching more television and what was the end result?
4. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
5. What does Don need when he returns home and how are those needs met?
6. How do the people around Don appear?
7. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
8. Where did Don go in Houston and what did he have to do to get a seat? Why?
9. What does Jay Perkins tell Don about his independent attitude?
10. What happened with a classmate of Nicole's at the university?
Essay Topic 1
At the opening to the story, we are immediately introduced to the main character, Don, and later his wife Eva. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using specific examples and details:
1. Thoroughly describe and analyze Don and his role in the book--using examples from the entire book. How does he help drive the plot? Is he a likable character? Is there anything about him that is redeemable?
2. Thoroughly describe and analyze Eva and her role in the book--using examples from the entire book. How does she help drive the plot? Is she a likable character? What about her is not so likable?
3. Analyze the interactions between Don and Eva. Would you consider their marriage to be a good marriage? Who seems to be the stronger character, Don or Eva? Why? Is Eva's life affected as much by the accident as Don's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Don's view of heaven is calming, peaceful and warm. Listeners recognize that Don's story is not a hoax and find comfort and hope from its telling.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the above statement. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss how you felt about death before you read this book and how you feel now.
Essay Topic 3
Don has difficulty discussing his trip to heaven with anyone for several years after the accident. Don told Eva only a tiny portion of what had happened, and she never pesters him with questions, sensing he is not ready to talk. One day, David Gentiles visits Don at home and asks Don how he is feeling. As the conversation progresses, Don begins to share the entire story of his ninety minutes in heaven with David.
1. Why do you think Don was able to tell his story to David and not to Eva?
2. Do you think that Don and Eva must not have a good marriage if he tells someone his story before he tells her? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you were Eva? Discuss in detail what she might have been feeling and how you would react if you were her.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)