|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dick scramble from Don's car?
2. What does David Gentiles tell Don when he visits?
3. Why is Don taken from his room several times a week?
4. How does Dick get in the car to lay hands on Don?
5. Why does Don refuse to talk to anyone about his experience in heaven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are some of the people Don sees in heaven?
2. What do the paramedics do about Don when they first arrive at the scene of the accident?
3. What are the first injuries Don has that they fix immediately at the hospital?
4. Who does Don meet in the hospital that helps him and how do they meet?
5. What does Jay Perkins tell Don about his independent attitude?
6. How do the people around Don appear?
7. Where does Don go after he leaves the accident scene?
8. Where does Don go after his first surgeries?
9. What are some of the coincidences that occurred around Don's accident that help him survive?
10. What is one thing that happens that gives Don hope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The accident acts as a catalyst for the rest of the story.
1. What do you think the above statement means?
2. Discuss what you believe about whether one turn of events can change a person's life forever.
3. Do you think the paramedics were careless about declaring Don dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Don knows that people are to be compassionate and empathetic to others, but until he has his accident, he does not truly understand how to exhibit these behaviors. For Don, the process of healing is much more than learning to walk again.
1. Do you believe that people are to be compassionate and empathetic to others? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Don learned how to be compassionate as the result of his accident?
3. What do you think the second sentence above means? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Don continues to suffer from severe depression. He is battling anger, which is often unleashed on the medical staff.
1. Discuss why Don might take his anger out on the medical staff.
2. Discuss how you think you would feel in Don's position?
3. Why do you think the staff tolerates Don's anger and abuse?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)