|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the justice of peace been called?
2. Eventually, which dead loved one greets Don first?
3. What does Don not experience in his near death episode that many people do?
4. What does David Gentiles tell Don when he visits?
5. What do the nurses tell him about the patients Don keeps hearing moan and scream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
2. What is one thing that happens that gives Don hope?
3. What are the first injuries Don has that they fix immediately at the hospital?
4. Who was driving the vehicle that hit Don, what was it carrying and why was that driver driving the vehicle?
5. What does Dick do when he goes to Don's car?
6. How do the people around Don appear?
7. What does Don not experience and what does he experience when he dies?
8. What happens six days after Don's accident and what are Eva's and David Gentiles' response? What do the doctors discover?
9. What route does Don take to return home and what is that route like?
10. Why is a justice of the peace called to the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don's view of heaven is calming, peaceful and warm. Listeners recognize that Don's story is not a hoax and find comfort and hope from its telling.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the above statement. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss how you felt about death before you read this book and how you feel now.
Essay Topic 2
Now that Eva is the only breadwinner and decision maker, she gains a new confidence in herself. She also appreciates Don more for all the hard work he shoulders for the family.
1. What do you think this statement implies about Eva before the accident?
2. Do you think the above statement implies that Eva felt inferior to her husband? Why or why not?
3. Explain how you believe a woman who believes in total equality between the sexes would view the above statement.
Essay Topic 3
Don continues to suffer from severe depression. He is battling anger, which is often unleashed on the medical staff.
1. Discuss why Don might take his anger out on the medical staff.
2. Discuss how you think you would feel in Don's position?
3. Why do you think the staff tolerates Don's anger and abuse?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)