|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Don get any sleep in ICU?
2. Why does Don exhaust himself with his visitors?
3. Why did guards call for help after Don's accident?
4. Physically, how did Don describe the people around him?
5. What is the weather like the day of Don's accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was driving the vehicle that hit Don, what was it carrying and why was that driver driving the vehicle?
2. Who does Don meet in the hospital that helps him and how do they meet?
3. Who are some of the people Don sees in heaven?
4. How does Don feel about being in heaven?
5. What hit Don and what happened to his car?
6. What does Jay Perkins tell Don about his independent attitude?
7. What do the paramedics do about Don when they first arrive at the scene of the accident?
8. Why is a justice of the peace called to the scene?
9. What is one thing that happens that gives Don hope?
10. What is Don thinking about a few days after the accident and the events surrounding it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening to the story, we are immediately introduced to the main character, Don, and later his wife Eva. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using specific examples and details:
1. Thoroughly describe and analyze Don and his role in the book--using examples from the entire book. How does he help drive the plot? Is he a likable character? Is there anything about him that is redeemable?
2. Thoroughly describe and analyze Eva and her role in the book--using examples from the entire book. How does she help drive the plot? Is she a likable character? What about her is not so likable?
3. Analyze the interactions between Don and Eva. Would you consider their marriage to be a good marriage? Who seems to be the stronger character, Don or Eva? Why? Is Eva's life affected as much by the accident as Don's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Don has difficulty discussing his trip to heaven with anyone for several years after the accident. Don told Eva only a tiny portion of what had happened, and she never pesters him with questions, sensing he is not ready to talk. One day, David Gentiles visits Don at home and asks Don how he is feeling. As the conversation progresses, Don begins to share the entire story of his ninety minutes in heaven with David.
1. Why do you think Don was able to tell his story to David and not to Eva?
2. Do you think that Don and Eva must not have a good marriage if he tells someone his story before he tells her? Why or why not?
3. How would you feel if you were Eva? Discuss in detail what she might have been feeling and how you would react if you were her.
Essay Topic 3
Don's view of heaven is calming, peaceful and warm. Listeners recognize that Don's story is not a hoax and find comfort and hope from its telling.
1. Explain why you agree or disagree with the above statement. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss how you felt about death before you read this book and how you feel now.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)