|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Don meet who also has an Iliazrov frame?
2. What happens in the morning about Don's pneumonia?
3. What does Don see first when he dies?
4. What did the EMTs do after tending to the other victims?
5. What do the doctors find out about Don's breathing tube?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Don meet in the hospital that helps him and how do they meet?
2. What does Dick do when he goes to Don's car?
3. What does Don see when he first arrives in heaven?
4. What is the conference Don attended focused upon?
5. What is the Iliazrov Frame and how is it used?
6. What happens six days after Don's accident and what are Eva's and David Gentiles' response? What do the doctors discover?
7. How is Don feeling in the hospital and who tries to help him?
8. What happened to the people in the other cars that were hit?
9. What are the first injuries Don has that they fix immediately at the hospital?
10. Who was driving the vehicle that hit Don, what was it carrying and why was that driver driving the vehicle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the large number of visitors who come to see Don in the hospital, he refuses to let anyone do anything for him. One day, Jay Perkins stops by to visit Don. Jay is a retired minister filling in for Don. Jay notices that Don never asks for help and challenges him to open up to the people who care about him. Jay tells Don that people are trying to love him in the only way they know how, but Don will not let them.
1. How would the above statement relate to the cliche, "No man is an island?"
2. Why do you think Don is refusing help from anyone? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. People in general seem to believe that doing something for someone they love is showing their love. Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Now that Eva is the only breadwinner and decision maker, she gains a new confidence in herself. She also appreciates Don more for all the hard work he shoulders for the family.
1. What do you think this statement implies about Eva before the accident?
2. Do you think the above statement implies that Eva felt inferior to her husband? Why or why not?
3. Explain how you believe a woman who believes in total equality between the sexes would view the above statement.
Essay Topic 3
The boys respect the fact that Don cannot run and play like he once did and do their best to shelter their father from any disappointment by not engaging in sports with him.
1. Why do you think the boys decided to not engage in any sports with him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the boys should have handled sports in a different manner? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Don appreciated his sons not participating in sports with him or did it make him feel worse? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)