|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Helene tell Frank she is terribly disappointed with in her October 1951 letter?
2. What year was the Walton's Lives published that Frank sends to Helene in March 1952?
3. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
4. What does Helene request that Frank ask the other employees to vote on in October 1951?
5. How old is Bill Humphries' great-aunt who he lives with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Helene's relationship with the bookshop employees deepens and extends to include other people over the years.
Essay Topic 2
How is the exchange of letters a small documentary of events in American and British popular culture in the 1950s and 1960s?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the world of books is just as real to Helene as the world in which she lives.
This section contains 167 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)