|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
2. What does Bill Humphries do for Marks & Co.?
3. What does Frank's wife Nora reveal she has used the tins of dried eggs to trade for?
4. From what company does Helene order the packages that she sends to Marks & Co.?
5. Helene apologizes on behalf of America for letting England _____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cecily and the rest of the bookstore employees are intrigued about Helene. Discuss what ideas they have about Helene and if their images of her are correct.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the unspoken stories that lie beneath the surface of the letters, which encompass so many people over so many years.
Essay Topic 3
How do language and meaning forge the bond between Frank and Helene that Nora does not share?
This section contains 159 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)