|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they will gladly put up Helene when she visits England if they are still alive?
2. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
3. What does Frank recommend Helene use to clean her Grolier Bible?
4. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
5. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
Essay Topic 1
How is the exchange of letters a small documentary of events in American and British popular culture in the 1950s and 1960s?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Helene finds a valuable connection in reading the words that many others have read before her.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the purpose is of including Maxine's letters in the book? What context and insight do they give to the storyline?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)