|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
2. What is the name of Frank and Nora's oldest daughter?
3. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
4. What book does Helene tell Frank she is terribly disappointed with in her October 1951 letter?
5. What does Helene relay to Maxine that her mother is sending her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unspoken stories that lie beneath the surface of the letters, which encompass so many people over so many years.
Essay Topic 2
The death of Frank marks the end of many things for Helene and the beginning of others. Discuss how Helene must have felt about Frank's death and what changes that it brought to her life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the love of language and the craft of writing are important to the people in the book on both sides of the Atlantic.
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)