|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
2. What does Maxine report to Helene that the bookshelves in Marks & Co. are made of?
3. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
4. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
5. What does Bill Humphries do for Marks & Co.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the love of language and the craft of writing are important to the people in the book on both sides of the Atlantic.
Essay Topic 2
Are Frank and Helene opposites or just two sides of the same coin? Explain your answer using specific events in the book to compare/contrast Frank and Helene.
Essay Topic 3
Helene concludes that she goes through life "watching the English language being raped before me face." What does she mean by this and why does she use a literary reference to Edward Arlington Robinson?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)