|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
2. Cruikshank, Rackham and Spy are all English ______________.
3. What type of essays does Frank let Helene know he is sending her in February 1951?
4. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
5. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of Frank marks the end of many things for Helene and the beginning of others. Discuss how Helene must have felt about Frank's death and what changes that it brought to her life.
Essay Topic 2
Helene Hanff was surprised by how well her book of letters was received, claiming it was just a little book of "business correspondence." Do you think this is how she really felt about it? Why or why not? Support your answer fully.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how a simple request for books that is the basis of the letters becomes a respectful relationship that grows through the years. Do you think the same sort of relationships grow out of emails between strangers in today's society? Why or why not?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)