|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
2. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
3. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
4. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
5. What does Helene tell Frank she does with the books she no longer wants?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how a simple request for books that is the basis of the letters becomes a respectful relationship that grows through the years. Do you think the same sort of relationships grow out of emails between strangers in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how connections are made in the age of technology versus the age of letters. How has communication changed significantly over the last two decades? Do you think connections like Frank and Helene's are more or less prevalent in the age of technology? Explain your responses using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Helene admits to not being fond of fiction, yet in many ways these letters read like a novel. Discuss the "fictional" aspects of the letters.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)