|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
2. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
3. Maxine thought Marks & Co. had a ____________ smell.
4. What kind of place does Maxine find to stay during her visit to London?
5. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think the purpose is of including Maxine's letters in the book? What context and insight do they give to the storyline?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Helene finds a valuable connection in reading the words that many others have read before her.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how a simple request for books that is the basis of the letters becomes a respectful relationship that grows through the years. Do you think the same sort of relationships grow out of emails between strangers in today's society? Why or why not?
This section contains 171 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)