|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
2. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
3. What does Bill Humphries offer to Helene in his April 1951 letter?
4. What kind of place does Maxine find to stay during her visit to London?
5. What year was the Walton's Lives published that Frank sends to Helene in March 1952?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how a simple request for books that is the basis of the letters becomes a respectful relationship that grows through the years. Do you think the same sort of relationships grow out of emails between strangers in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Helene Hanff was surprised by how well her book of letters was received, claiming it was just a little book of "business correspondence." Do you think this is how she really felt about it? Why or why not? Support your answer fully.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the unspoken stories that lie beneath the surface of the letters, which encompass so many people over so many years.
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)