|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
2. Maxine thought Marks & Co. had a ____________ smell.
3. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
4. What impressed Helene about the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
5. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Helene's relationship with the bookshop employees deepens and extends to include other people over the years.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think the purpose is of including Maxine's letters in the book? What context and insight do they give to the storyline?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Helene finds a valuable connection in reading the words that many others have read before her.
This section contains 176 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)