|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene threaten to do with the ripped pages of the book she is terribly disappointed by in her October 1951 letter?
2. What does Maxine report to Helene that the bookshelves in Marks & Co. are made of?
3. What does Bill Humphries offer to Helene in his April 1951 letter?
4. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
5. What does Helene promise her English friends she will try not to get on the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1From a literary standpoint, how does Frank serves as a foil to Helene's razor sharp wit?
Essay Topic 2Discuss how the love of language and the craft of writing are important to the people in the book on both sides of the Atlantic.
Essay Topic 3Helene concludes that she goes through life "watching the English language being raped before me face." What does she mean by this and why does she use a literary reference to Edward Arlington Robinson?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)