|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
2. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
3. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
4. What year was the Walton's Lives published that Frank sends to Helene in March 1952?
5. What does Bill Humphries offer to Helene in his April 1951 letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Frank and Helene opposites or just two sides of the same coin? Explain your answer using specific events in the book to compare/contrast Frank and Helene.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the love of language and the craft of writing are important to the people in the book on both sides of the Atlantic.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Helene's relationship with the bookshop employees deepens and extends to include other people over the years.
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)