|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
2. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
3. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
4. What type of essays does Frank let Helene know he is sending her in February 1951?
5. How many employees are working at Marks & Co. in 1951?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helene concludes that she goes through life "watching the English language being raped before me face." What does she mean by this and why does she use a literary reference to Edward Arlington Robinson?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the unspoken stories that lie beneath the surface of the letters, which encompass so many people over so many years.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the world of books is just as real to Helene as the world in which she lives.
This section contains 171 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)