|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
2. What does Helene love to find in secondhand books?
3. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
4. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
5. From what company does Helene order the packages that she sends to Marks & Co.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helene concludes that she goes through life "watching the English language being raped before me face." What does she mean by this and why does she use a literary reference to Edward Arlington Robinson?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how connections are made in the age of technology versus the age of letters. How has communication changed significantly over the last two decades? Do you think connections like Frank and Helene's are more or less prevalent in the age of technology? Explain your responses using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Helene finds a valuable connection in reading the words that many others have read before her.
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)