|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
2. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
3. What does Bill Humphries offer to Helene in his April 1951 letter?
4. Who says they will gladly put up Helene when she visits England if they are still alive?
5. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do language and meaning forge the bond between Frank and Helene that Nora does not share?
Essay Topic 2
How is the exchange of letters a small documentary of events in American and British popular culture in the 1950s and 1960s?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Helene finds a valuable connection in reading the words that many others have read before her.
This section contains 183 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)