|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene threaten to do with the ripped pages of the book she is terribly disappointed by in her October 1951 letter?
2. What is Frank's concern about the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
3. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
4. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
5. What does Helene love to find in secondhand books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how a simple request for books that is the basis of the letters becomes a respectful relationship that grows through the years. Do you think the same sort of relationships grow out of emails between strangers in today's society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Helene borders on rudeness in some of her exchanges with Frank. What do you think she intends to convey with this tone? Do you think Frank is ever offended by Helene's letter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the unspoken stories that lie beneath the surface of the letters, which encompass so many people over so many years.
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)