|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
2. What kind of place does Maxine find to stay during her visit to London?
3. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
4. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
5. Maxine thought Marks & Co. had a ____________ smell.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the love of language and the craft of writing are important to the people in the book on both sides of the Atlantic.
Essay Topic 2
From a literary standpoint, how does Frank serves as a foil to Helene's razor sharp wit?
Essay Topic 3
Helene admits to not being fond of fiction, yet in many ways these letters read like a novel. Discuss the "fictional" aspects of the letters.
This section contains 156 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)