|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
2. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
3. How many employees are working at Marks & Co. in 1951?
4. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
5. What does Frank buy in the summer of 1952?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think the purpose is of including Maxine's letters in the book? What context and insight do they give to the storyline?
Essay Topic 2
Helene concludes that she goes through life "watching the English language being raped before me face." What does she mean by this and why does she use a literary reference to Edward Arlington Robinson?
Essay Topic 3
How do language and meaning forge the bond between Frank and Helene that Nora does not share?
This section contains 161 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)