|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maxine thought Marks & Co. had a ____________ smell.
2. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
3. Helene tells Maxine in her February 1952 letter that she may not have the __________ to visit Marks & Co. someday.
4. What is the name of Frank and Nora's oldest daughter?
5. Where does Helene wish her English friends had inscribed the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From a literary standpoint, how does Frank serves as a foil to Helene's razor sharp wit?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how connections are made in the age of technology versus the age of letters. How has communication changed significantly over the last two decades? Do you think connections like Frank and Helene's are more or less prevalent in the age of technology? Explain your responses using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how a simple request for books that is the basis of the letters becomes a respectful relationship that grows through the years. Do you think the same sort of relationships grow out of emails between strangers in today's society? Why or why not?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)