|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
2. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
3. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
4. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
5. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Frank and the rest of the Marks & Co. staff send to Helene as a token of their appreciation for the care packages?
2. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
3. What does Helene mean when she says, "From where I sit, London's a lot closer than 17th Street"?
4. How does Helene learn that the other employees of Mark & Co are curious about her?
5. Why is Frank's passion for old books comforting to Helene?
6. What news about Megan and Cecily does Frank share in 1964?
7. What does the staff of Marks & Co. do with the 1951 Christmas package Helene sends?
8. What are Helene's friend Maxine's impressions when she visits Marks & Co. in London?
9. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
10. What does Helene apologize about in her letter to Cecily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Helene's relationship with the bookshop employees deepens and extends to include other people over the years.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Helene borders on rudeness in some of her exchanges with Frank. What do you think she intends to convey with this tone? Do you think Frank is ever offended by Helene's letter? Why or why not?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)