|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
2. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
3. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
4. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
5. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the staff of Marks & Co. do with the 1951 Christmas package Helene sends?
2. What does Helene apologize about in her letter to Cecily?
3. Why won't Helene send her payments in money orders instead of cash as the booksellers have requested?
4. What shocking news does Helene receive from Marks & Co. in 1968?
5. What is the tone of Helene's reply to Maxine's letter describing Marks & Co.?
6. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
7. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
8. What does Helene explain to Frank is her reason that she doesn't care for fiction?
9. Why is Helene upset about the Pepys' Diary sent to her?
10. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From a literary standpoint, how does Frank serves as a foil to Helene's razor sharp wit?
Essay Topic 2
How is the exchange of letters a small documentary of events in American and British popular culture in the 1950s and 1960s?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality throughout the book.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)