|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
2. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
3. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
4. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
5. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helene's request from the British booksellers decrease by 1968?
2. What does Helene apologize about in her letter to Cecily?
3. Why does Helene inquire about the rations in London in a letter to Marks & Co?
4. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
5. Why does Cecily write to tell Helene that no Christmas package will be necessary in 1953?
6. What doesn't Helene like about the New Testaments sent to her by Marks & Co?
7. What kind of books of poems does Helene request from Marks & Co. in her March 25, 1950 letter?
8. What does Nora reveal to Helene after Frank dies?
9. Why does Nora wish she and Frank owned their own bookshop?
10. How does Helene get nylons to women of Marks & Co.?
Essay Topic 1
How is the exchange of letters a small documentary of events in American and British popular culture in the 1950s and 1960s?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think the purpose is of including Maxine's letters in the book? What context and insight do they give to the storyline?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the world of books is just as real to Helene as the world in which she lives.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)