|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of place does Helene live in?
2. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
3. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
4. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
5. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who gives Helene permission to print her correspondence over the years with Frank Doel?
2. What is Helene's response to Frank inquiring if she would like a first edition of Newman's Idea of a University?
3. Why does Cecily write to tell Helene that no Christmas package will be necessary in 1953?
4. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
5. What happens to Helene's home in 1956?
6. What is the tone of Helene's reply to Maxine's letter describing Marks & Co.?
7. Who writes Helene to thank her for the 1951 Easter package?
8. Why does Helene inquire about the rations in London in a letter to Marks & Co?
9. What doesn't Helene like about the New Testaments sent to her by Marks & Co?
10. What news about Cecily does Nora share with Helene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helene admits to not being fond of fiction, yet in many ways these letters read like a novel. Discuss the "fictional" aspects of the letters.
Essay Topic 2
How do language and meaning forge the bond between Frank and Helene that Nora does not share?
Essay Topic 3
The death of Frank marks the end of many things for Helene and the beginning of others. Discuss how Helene must have felt about Frank's death and what changes that it brought to her life.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)