|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
2. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
3. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
4. Why does Helene fear her library card will be revoked?
5. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helene need to stop purchasing books in 1961?
2. Why is Frank's passion for old books comforting to Helene?
3. Why does Helene Hanff write the first letter to the proprietors of the Marks & Co. bookstore in London, England?
4. What kind of books of poems does Helene request from Marks & Co. in her March 25, 1950 letter?
5. Why is Sheila going to say a "jolly good prayer" for Helene?
6. Who writes Helene to thank her for the 1951 Easter package?
7. What terms does Helene play "girl etymologist" for Maxine, and explain?
8. Why won't Helene send her payments in money orders instead of cash as the booksellers have requested?
9. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
10. What does Helene apologize about in her letter to Cecily?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the world of books is just as real to Helene as the world in which she lives.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Helene finds a valuable connection in reading the words that many others have read before her.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the love of language and the craft of writing are important to the people in the book on both sides of the Atlantic.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)