|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
2. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
3. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
4. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cecily write to tell Helene that no Christmas package will be necessary in 1953?
2. Why does Helene inquire about the rations in London in a letter to Marks & Co?
3. Why is Sheila going to say a "jolly good prayer" for Helene?
4. Why does Nora wish she and Frank owned their own bookshop?
5. Why does Helene's request from the British booksellers decrease by 1968?
6. What kind of books of poems does Helene request from Marks & Co. in her March 25, 1950 letter?
7. Why does Helene joke with Frank about the British occupation of New York from 1776 through 1783?
8. What does Helene apologize about in her letter to Cecily?
9. Why does Cecily invite Helene to visit England?
10. What news about Megan and Cecily does Frank share in 1964?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the exchange of letters a small documentary of events in American and British popular culture in the 1950s and 1960s?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Helene finds a valuable connection in reading the words that many others have read before her.
Essay Topic 3
Are Frank and Helene opposites or just two sides of the same coin? Explain your answer using specific events in the book to compare/contrast Frank and Helene.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)