|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
2. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
3. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
4. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
5. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
2. What is written in the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. bookstore?
3. What do Frank and the rest of the Marks & Co. staff send to Helene as a token of their appreciation for the care packages?
4. What does Helene apologize to the London booksellers for on behalf of America?
5. What does the staff of Marks & Co. send to Helene to thank her for her generosity?
6. What news about his daughter, Sheila, does Frank share with Helene in 1963?
7. What is the tone of Helene's reply to Maxine's letter describing Marks & Co.?
8. How does Frank respond to Helene's jokingly asking for prayers for the Brooklyn Dodgers playing in the World Series that year?
9. How does Helene get nylons to women of Marks & Co.?
10. What kind of books of poems does Helene request from Marks & Co. in her March 25, 1950 letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Helene's relationship with the bookshop employees deepens and extends to include other people over the years.
Essay Topic 2
The death of Frank marks the end of many things for Helene and the beginning of others. Discuss how Helene must have felt about Frank's death and what changes that it brought to her life.
Essay Topic 3
From a literary standpoint, how does Frank serves as a foil to Helene's razor sharp wit?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)