|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
2. Helene is afraid the Easter Bunny will find that Frank has died of ____________.
3. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
4. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
5. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
2. Why does Helene need to stop purchasing books in 1961?
3. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
4. What is written in the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. bookstore?
5. What prompts Frank's wife Nora to write Helene for the first time?
6. What does Helene chastise Frank for in September of 1952?
7. Why does Helene have to stall her travel plans to England in 1953?
8. Why won't Helene send her payments in money orders instead of cash as the booksellers have requested?
9. What are Helene's friend Maxine's impressions when she visits Marks & Co. in London?
10. Why does Helene joke with Frank about the British occupation of New York from 1776 through 1783?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Helene finds a valuable connection in reading the words that many others have read before her.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
From a literary standpoint, how does Frank serves as a foil to Helene's razor sharp wit?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)