|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
2. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
3. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
4. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
5. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
2. Why does Nora wish she and Frank owned their own bookshop?
3. What news about Cecily does Nora share with Helene?
4. Why does Cecily write to tell Helene that no Christmas package will be necessary in 1953?
5. What does Helene apologize about in her letter to Cecily?
6. Why doesn't Helene hear from Frank the first two months of 1958?
7. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
8. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
9. What is the tone of the note Helene sends with her Easter gift to Mark & Co?
10. Who writes Helene to thank her for the 1951 Easter package?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unspoken stories that lie beneath the surface of the letters, which encompass so many people over so many years.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Helene borders on rudeness in some of her exchanges with Frank. What do you think she intends to convey with this tone? Do you think Frank is ever offended by Helene's letter? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)