|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
2. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
3. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
4. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
5. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone of Helene's reply to Maxine's letter describing Marks & Co.?
2. Why does Helene Hanff write the first letter to the proprietors of the Marks & Co. bookstore in London, England?
3. What does Helene think of the first books she receives from Marks & Co. versus the books she buys in America?
4. Who writes Helene to thank her for the 1951 Easter package?
5. What does the staff of Marks & Co. send to Helene to thank her for her generosity?
6. Why is Helene concerned that Frank may be ripping pages out of books?
7. Why does Cecily write to tell Helene that no Christmas package will be necessary in 1953?
8. What news about his daughter, Sheila, does Frank share with Helene in 1963?
9. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
10. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Helene's relationship with the bookshop employees deepens and extends to include other people over the years.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the world of books is just as real to Helene as the world in which she lives.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Helene finds a valuable connection in reading the words that many others have read before her.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)