Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
2. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
3. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
4. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
5. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
2. What are Helene's friend Maxine's impressions when she visits Marks & Co. in London?
3. Why does Helene have to stall her travel plans to England in 1953?
4. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
5. Why does Helene joke with Frank about the British occupation of New York from 1776 through 1783?
6. Why is Sheila going to say a "jolly good prayer" for Helene?
7. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
8. What does Helene apologize to the London booksellers for on behalf of America?
9. What does Helene think of the first books she receives from Marks & Co. versus the books she buys in America?
10. Why is Helene concerned that Frank may be ripping pages out of books?
Discuss how the world of books is just as real to Helene as the world in which she lives.
How do language and meaning forge the bond between Frank and Helene that Nora does not share?
Are Frank and Helene opposites or just two sides of the same coin? Explain your answer using specific events in the book to compare/contrast Frank and Helene.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)