|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
2. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
3. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
4. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
5. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cecily request that Helene save any travel plans to England until 1955?
2. What news about Cecily does Nora share with Helene?
3. Why does Nora wish she and Frank owned their own bookshop?
4. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
5. What is written in the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. bookstore?
6. Why does Helene lose her job as a TV script writer?
7. What does Helene tell Cecily is her reason for loving books?
8. Who gives Helene permission to print her correspondence over the years with Frank Doel?
9. What does the staff of Marks & Co. send to Helene to thank her for her generosity?
10. Why does Helene's request from the British booksellers decrease by 1968?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unspoken stories that lie beneath the surface of the letters, which encompass so many people over so many years.
Essay Topic 2
What does Helene mean when she says she developed her "peculiar taste in books" from a Cambridge professor? Do you think she actually met this person in the library or "fell over" his book? Do you think she means literally "fell over" or metaphorically?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the purpose is of including Maxine's letters in the book? What context and insight do they give to the storyline?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)