|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
2. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
3. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
4. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
5. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
2. How does Cecily describe Frank in her letter to Helene?
3. Why does Helene need to stop purchasing books in 1961?
4. What is Helene doing for a living in 1964?
5. What does the staff of Marks & Co. do with the 1951 Christmas package Helene sends?
6. Where does Helene get her books during the long silence from Mark & Co at the beginning of 1950?
7. Who writes Helene to thank her for the 1951 Easter package?
8. What prompts Frank's wife Nora to write Helene for the first time?
9. What does Nora reveal to Helene that Frank chastises her for?
10. Why does Helene's request from the British booksellers decrease by 1968?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how connections are made in the age of technology versus the age of letters. How has communication changed significantly over the last two decades? Do you think connections like Frank and Helene's are more or less prevalent in the age of technology? Explain your responses using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Cecily and the rest of the bookstore employees are intrigued about Helene. Discuss what ideas they have about Helene and if their images of her are correct.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality throughout the book.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)