Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
2. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
3. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
4. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
5. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
2. What are Helene's friend Maxine's impressions when she visits Marks & Co. in London?
3. Why does Helene have to stall her travel plans to England in 1953?
4. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
5. Why does Helene joke with Frank about the British occupation of New York from 1776 through 1783?
6. Why is Sheila going to say a "jolly good prayer" for Helene?
7. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
8. What does Helene apologize to the London booksellers for on behalf of America?
9. What does Helene think of the first books she receives from Marks & Co. versus the books she buys in America?
10. Why is Helene concerned that Frank may be ripping pages out of books?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the love of language and the craft of writing are important to the people in the book on both sides of the Atlantic.
Essay Topic 2
Helene borders on rudeness in some of her exchanges with Frank. What do you think she intends to convey with this tone? Do you think Frank is ever offended by Helene's letter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the purpose is of including Maxine's letters in the book? What context and insight do they give to the storyline?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)