|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
2. What does Helene do for a living?
3. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
4. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
5. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cecily describe Frank in her letter to Helene?
2. Why won't Helene send her payments in money orders instead of cash as the booksellers have requested?
3. Who gives Helene permission to print her correspondence over the years with Frank Doel?
4. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
5. What does Helene explain to Frank is her reason that she doesn't care for fiction?
6. Why does Helene joke with Frank about the British occupation of New York from 1776 through 1783?
7. Why does Cecily invite Helene to visit England?
8. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
9. What is written in the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. bookstore?
10. Why is Helene upset about the Pepys' Diary sent to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the exchange of letters a small documentary of events in American and British popular culture in the 1950s and 1960s?
Essay Topic 2
How do language and meaning forge the bond between Frank and Helene that Nora does not share?
Essay Topic 3
Helene admits to not being fond of fiction, yet in many ways these letters read like a novel. Discuss the "fictional" aspects of the letters.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)