|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
2. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
3. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
4. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
5. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helene learn that the other employees of Mark & Co are curious about her?
2. What does Nora reveal to Helene that Frank chastises her for?
3. Who gives Helene permission to print her correspondence over the years with Frank Doel?
4. What does Helene tell Cecily is her reason for loving books?
5. What terms does Helene play "girl etymologist" for Maxine, and explain?
6. Why doesn't Helene hear from Frank the first two months of 1958?
7. What news about Megan and Cecily does Frank share in 1964?
8. Why does Helene lose her job as a TV script writer?
9. What does Helene mean when she says, "From where I sit, London's a lot closer than 17th Street"?
10. Why is Helene upset about the Pepys' Diary sent to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helene borders on rudeness in some of her exchanges with Frank. What do you think she intends to convey with this tone? Do you think Frank is ever offended by Helene's letter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
How do language and meaning forge the bond between Frank and Helene that Nora does not share?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)