|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
2. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
3. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
4. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
5. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora reveal to Helene that Frank chastises her for?
2. What does Helene tell Cecily is her reason for loving books?
3. What do Frank and the rest of the Marks & Co. staff send to Helene as a token of their appreciation for the care packages?
4. How does Helene learn that the other employees of Mark & Co are curious about her?
5. How does Cecily describe Frank in her letter to Helene?
6. What does Helene explain to Frank is her reason that she doesn't care for fiction?
7. What prompts Frank's wife Nora to write Helene for the first time?
8. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
9. How does Helene respond when Cecily expresses concern for how much Helene spends on the care packages she sends?
10. Where does Helene get her books during the long silence from Mark & Co at the beginning of 1950?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss how Helene finds a valuable connection in reading the words that many others have read before her.
Essay Topic 2Discuss how the love of language and the craft of writing are important to the people in the book on both sides of the Atlantic.
Essay Topic 3Helene admits to not being fond of fiction, yet in many ways these letters read like a novel. Discuss the "fictional" aspects of the letters.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)