|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
2. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
3. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
4. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
5. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news about his daughter, Sheila, does Frank share with Helene in 1963?
2. Who writes Helene to thank her for the 1951 Easter package?
3. Why does Cecily write to tell Helene that no Christmas package will be necessary in 1953?
4. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
5. Why does Helene need to stop purchasing books in 1961?
6. How does Helene get nylons to women of Marks & Co.?
7. Why does Helene inquire about the rations in London in a letter to Marks & Co?
8. What are some of the places in London that Helene tells Cecily she would like to visit?
9. What news about Cecily does Nora share with Helene?
10. What kind of books of poems does Helene request from Marks & Co. in her March 25, 1950 letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Frank and Helene opposites or just two sides of the same coin? Explain your answer using specific events in the book to compare/contrast Frank and Helene.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how connections are made in the age of technology versus the age of letters. How has communication changed significantly over the last two decades? Do you think connections like Frank and Helene's are more or less prevalent in the age of technology? Explain your responses using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Cecily and the rest of the bookstore employees are intrigued about Helene. Discuss what ideas they have about Helene and if their images of her are correct.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)