|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
2. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
3. What does Helene do for a living?
4. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
5. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Helene doing for a living in 1964?
2. What does Helene chastise Frank for in September of 1952?
3. What is the tone of Helene's reply to Maxine's letter describing Marks & Co.?
4. Why does Nora wish she and Frank owned their own bookshop?
5. What news about his daughter, Sheila, does Frank share with Helene in 1963?
6. Why does Cecily write to tell Helene that no Christmas package will be necessary in 1953?
7. What does Helene complain about in her letter to Frank in January 1958?
8. Why is Sheila going to say a "jolly good prayer" for Helene?
9. How does Frank respond to Helene's jokingly asking for prayers for the Brooklyn Dodgers playing in the World Series that year?
10. What does Helene think of the first books she receives from Marks & Co. versus the books she buys in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Frank and Helene opposites or just two sides of the same coin? Explain your answer using specific events in the book to compare/contrast Frank and Helene.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Helene admits to not being fond of fiction, yet in many ways these letters read like a novel. Discuss the "fictional" aspects of the letters.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)