|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
2. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
3. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
4. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
5. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helene learn that the other employees of Mark & Co are curious about her?
2. Why does Helene need to stop purchasing books in 1961?
3. What does Helene mean when she says, "From where I sit, London's a lot closer than 17th Street"?
4. Why does Cecily request that Helene save any travel plans to England until 1955?
5. Why is Helene concerned that Frank may be ripping pages out of books?
6. What doesn't Helene like about the New Testaments sent to her by Marks & Co?
7. What news about Cecily does Nora share with Helene?
8. What are Helene's friend Maxine's impressions when she visits Marks & Co. in London?
9. How does Helene respond when Cecily expresses concern for how much Helene spends on the care packages she sends?
10. What does the staff of Marks & Co. send to Helene to thank her for her generosity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do language and meaning forge the bond between Frank and Helene that Nora does not share?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the love of language and the craft of writing are important to the people in the book on both sides of the Atlantic.
Essay Topic 3
From a literary standpoint, how does Frank serves as a foil to Helene's razor sharp wit?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)