|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
(b) Chocolate candy.
(c) Raisins and eggs.
2. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) March 1950.
(b) November 1949.
(c) January 1950.
(d) December 1949.
3. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
(a) Newman's Idea of a University.
(b) Pepys' Diary.
(c) Oxford Book of English Verse.
(d) Vulgate Latin Bible.
4. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
(a) A poor writer.
(b) A bored housewife.
(c) A poor teacher.
(d) A wealthy heiress.
5. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her British niece.
(b) Her niece's boyfriend.
(c) Her British neighbor.
(d) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
2. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
3. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
4. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
5. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the places in London that Helene tells Cecily she would like to visit?
2. Why doesn't Helene hear from Frank the first two months of 1958?
3. How does Cecily describe Frank in her letter to Helene?
4. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
5. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
6. What does Helene apologize about in her letter to Cecily?
7. What does Helene think of the first books she receives from Marks & Co. versus the books she buys in America?
8. Why is Helene concerned that Frank may be ripping pages out of books?
9. What prompts Frank's wife Nora to write Helene for the first time?
10. What shocking news does Helene receive from Marks & Co. in 1968?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)