|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The incorrect billing amount.
(b) The Latin Bible.
(c) The long silence between letters.
(d) The poor condition of the books.
2. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
(b) Distinguished professor.
(c) Studious librarian.
(d) Broadway panhandler.
3. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
4. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
(b) Mr. Cohen.
(c) Mr. Marks.
(d) The rest of the staff.
5. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Barnes & Noble.
(b) Bookpress Monthly.
(c) Saturday Review of Literature.
(d) The New York Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
2. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
3. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
4. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
5. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helene lose her job as a TV script writer?
2. What are some of the places in London that Helene tells Cecily she would like to visit?
3. What doesn't Helene like about the New Testaments sent to her by Marks & Co?
4. Why doesn't Helene hear from Frank the first two months of 1958?
5. Why does Helene joke with Frank about the British occupation of New York from 1776 through 1783?
6. Why is Helene so thrilled to receive Walton's Lives from Frank in 1952?
7. What news about Megan and Cecily does Frank share in 1964?
8. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
9. Who gives Helene permission to print her correspondence over the years with Frank Doel?
10. How does Helene respond when Cecily expresses concern for how much Helene spends on the care packages she sends?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)