|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
(a) Latin Bible.
(b) Latin New Testament.
(c) Greek New Testament.
(d) Hebrew Bible.
2. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
(a) Couch Quinery.
(c) Captain Quillen.
(d) Quentin Conch.
3. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For using poor grammar.
(b) For sending the wrong books.
(c) For not having love poems.
(d) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
4. Helene is afraid the Easter Bunny will find that Frank has died of ____________.
5. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
Short Answer Questions
1. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
2. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
3. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
4. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of books of poems does Helene request from Marks & Co. in her March 25, 1950 letter?
2. What terms does Helene play "girl etymologist" for Maxine, and explain?
3. What does Nora reveal to Helene that Frank chastises her for?
4. What does Nora reveal to Helene after Frank dies?
5. What does Helene chastise Frank for in September of 1952?
6. What happens to Helene's home in 1956?
7. Why does Helene inquire about the rations in London in a letter to Marks & Co?
8. Why does Helene have to stall her travel plans to England in 1953?
9. What does Helene apologize to the London booksellers for on behalf of America?
10. What is the tone of Helene's reply to Maxine's letter describing Marks & Co.?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)