|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
(a) The bosses enjoyed immensely.
(b) Can only be found on the black market.
(c) Remind him of a trip to America.
(d) Bring back childhood memories.
2. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
(a) A wonderful sense of humor.
(b) A mean streak.
(c) Mental instability.
(d) Odd taste in literature.
3. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(a) Quite nice looking.
(d) An older gentleman.
4. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Keats or Shelley.
(b) Wyatt or Jonson.
(c) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(d) Dickenson or Frost.
5. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She gives it as a gift.
(b) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(c) She is disappointed in the quality.
(d) She decides it is too expensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
2. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
3. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
4. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
5. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
2. What are Helene's friend Maxine's impressions when she visits Marks & Co. in London?
3. Why does Helene have to stall her travel plans to England in 1953?
4. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
5. Why does Helene joke with Frank about the British occupation of New York from 1776 through 1783?
6. Why is Sheila going to say a "jolly good prayer" for Helene?
7. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
8. What does Helene apologize to the London booksellers for on behalf of America?
9. What does Helene think of the first books she receives from Marks & Co. versus the books she buys in America?
10. Why is Helene concerned that Frank may be ripping pages out of books?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)