|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
(a) Rockefeller Center.
(b) 17th Street.
(c) Times Square.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Methodist sister-in-law.
(b) Catholic sister-in-law.
(c) Presbyterian cousins.
(d) Baptist mother.
3. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
(b) Out-of-print books.
(c) Rare collectors' editions.
(d) Latest edition bestsellers.
4. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(b) Yours faithfully.
(c) With highest regard.
5. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For using poor grammar.
(b) For sending the wrong books.
(c) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
(d) For not having love poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
2. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
3. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
4. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
5. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who gives Helene permission to print her correspondence over the years with Frank Doel?
2. What does Nora reveal to Helene after Frank dies?
3. Why is Sheila going to say a "jolly good prayer" for Helene?
4. What happens to Helene's home in 1956?
5. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
6. What does Nora reveal to Helene that Frank chastises her for?
7. How does Frank respond to Helene's jokingly asking for prayers for the Brooklyn Dodgers playing in the World Series that year?
8. What does Helene complain about in her letter to Frank in January 1958?
9. Why does Helene Hanff write the first letter to the proprietors of the Marks & Co. bookstore in London, England?
10. What is written in the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. bookstore?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)