|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
(b) Times Square.
(c) 17th Street.
(d) Rockefeller Center.
2. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
3. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
(a) Westminster Street.
(b) Berkeley Street.
(c) Buckingham Street.
(d) Wimpole Street.
4. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
(a) Expensive wrapping.
(b) Dead-white pages.
(c) Soft vellum and heavy cream-colored pages.
(d) Stiff cardboardy covers.
5. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
(a) Hazlitt essays.
(b) Selected Essays of Stevenson.
(c) Virginibus Puerisque.
(d) Leigh Hunt essays.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
2. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
3. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
4. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
5. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helene Hanff write the first letter to the proprietors of the Marks & Co. bookstore in London, England?
2. Why is Helene so thrilled to receive Walton's Lives from Frank in 1952?
3. What kind of books of poems does Helene request from Marks & Co. in her March 25, 1950 letter?
4. Why is Helene concerned that Frank may be ripping pages out of books?
5. Why does Helene need to stop purchasing books in 1961?
6. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
7. What is written in the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. bookstore?
8. What does Helene think of the first books she receives from Marks & Co. versus the books she buys in America?
9. Why is Frank's passion for old books comforting to Helene?
10. Why does Helene lose her job as a TV script writer?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)