|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Methodist sister-in-law.
(b) Presbyterian cousins.
(c) Baptist mother.
(d) Catholic sister-in-law.
2. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from English literature.
(b) One from old war movies.
(c) One from history books.
(d) One found in the letters.
3. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Keats or Shelley.
(b) Dickenson or Frost.
(c) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(d) Wyatt or Jonson.
4. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(c) Rare first editions.
5. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
Short Answer Questions
1. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
2. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
3. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
4. What type of place does Helene live in?
5. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helene have to stall her travel plans to England in 1953?
2. Why won't Helene send her payments in money orders instead of cash as the booksellers have requested?
3. What shocking news does Helene receive from Marks & Co. in 1968?
4. What is Helene doing for a living in 1964?
5. What news about his daughter, Sheila, does Frank share with Helene in 1963?
6. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
7. Why does Helene need to stop purchasing books in 1961?
8. What does Nora reveal to Helene that Frank chastises her for?
9. Why is Helene concerned that Frank may be ripping pages out of books?
10. Why does Helene Hanff write the first letter to the proprietors of the Marks & Co. bookstore in London, England?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)