|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(c) Rare first editions.
2. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(a) Quite nice looking.
(b) An older gentleman.
3. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
4. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How vulgar they are.
(b) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
(c) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
(d) How badly they treat Jews.
5. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
(a) Stiff cardboardy covers.
(b) Expensive wrapping.
(c) Dead-white pages.
(d) Soft vellum and heavy cream-colored pages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
2. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
3. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
4. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
5. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news about Cecily does Nora share with Helene?
2. What does Nora reveal to Helene after Frank dies?
3. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
4. What does Helene complain about in her letter to Frank in January 1958?
5. How does Cecily describe Frank in her letter to Helene?
6. What is the tone of Helene's reply to Maxine's letter describing Marks & Co.?
7. What does Nora reveal to Helene that Frank chastises her for?
8. Why does Helene need to stop purchasing books in 1961?
9. Why does Helene joke with Frank about the British occupation of New York from 1776 through 1783?
10. Why does Helene's request from the British booksellers decrease by 1968?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)