|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) December 1949.
(b) March 1950.
(c) January 1950.
(d) November 1949.
2. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The long silence between letters.
(b) The Latin Bible.
(c) The incorrect billing amount.
(d) The poor condition of the books.
3. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She is disappointed in the quality.
(b) She gives it as a gift.
(c) She decides it is too expensive.
(d) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
4. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
(b) Rare collectors' editions.
(c) Out-of-print books.
(d) Latest edition bestsellers.
5. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
(b) Credit card.
(c) Personal check.
(d) Postal money order.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
2. Why does Helene fear her library card will be revoked?
3. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
4. Helene is afraid the Easter Bunny will find that Frank has died of ____________.
5. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Helene get her books during the long silence from Mark & Co at the beginning of 1950?
2. What does Helene mean when she says, "From where I sit, London's a lot closer than 17th Street"?
3. How does Helene get nylons to women of Marks & Co.?
4. What kind of books of poems does Helene request from Marks & Co. in her March 25, 1950 letter?
5. What does the staff of Marks & Co. send to Helene to thank her for her generosity?
6. How does Cecily describe Frank in her letter to Helene?
7. What does the staff of Marks & Co. do with the 1951 Christmas package Helene sends?
8. How does Frank respond to Helene's jokingly asking for prayers for the Brooklyn Dodgers playing in the World Series that year?
9. How does Helene learn that the other employees of Mark & Co are curious about her?
10. What does Helene think of the first books she receives from Marks & Co. versus the books she buys in America?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)