|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(b) Yours faithfully.
(d) With highest regard.
2. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
(a) Charing Cross Road.
(c) East 95th Street.
(d) West 42nd Street.
3. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
(a) Postal money order.
(b) Personal check.
(d) Credit card.
4. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
(a) Mr. Marks.
(b) Mr. Cohen.
(c) The rest of the staff.
5. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(a) Rare first editions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
2. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
3. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
4. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
5. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
2. What news about his daughter, Sheila, does Frank share with Helene in 1963?
3. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
4. Why does Nora wish she and Frank owned their own bookshop?
5. What is written in the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. bookstore?
6. Why does Helene's request from the British booksellers decrease by 1968?
7. How does Helene get nylons to women of Marks & Co.?
8. Why does Helene inquire about the rations in London in a letter to Marks & Co?
9. What is Helene's response to Frank inquiring if she would like a first edition of Newman's Idea of a University?
10. What does Helene apologize about in her letter to Cecily?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)