|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
(a) In a wheelchair.
(b) In France.
(c) In the RAF.
(d) In prison.
2. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(c) Yours faithfully.
(d) With highest regard.
3. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
4. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
5. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) Two ounces per week.
(b) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
(c) Three ounces per week.
(d) One chicken per month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
2. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
3. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
4. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
5. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news about Cecily does Nora share with Helene?
2. What do Frank and the rest of the Marks & Co. staff send to Helene as a token of their appreciation for the care packages?
3. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
4. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
5. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
6. What news about his daughter, Sheila, does Frank share with Helene in 1963?
7. What is the tone of the note Helene sends with her Easter gift to Mark & Co?
8. Why does Cecily request that Helene save any travel plans to England until 1955?
9. What is written in the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. bookstore?
10. Why is Sheila going to say a "jolly good prayer" for Helene?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)