|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A two-story boarding house.
(b) A five-room house.
(c) A five-story brownstone.
(d) A fifty-story high-rise.
2. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(b) She gives it as a gift.
(c) She is disappointed in the quality.
(d) She decides it is too expensive.
3. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(c) Quite nice looking.
(d) An older gentleman.
4. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Rockefeller Plaza.
(c) Times Square.
(d) 42nd Street.
5. Why does Helene fear her library card will be revoked?
(a) For being too demanding of the librarians.
(b) For writing in the library books.
(c) For not returning books on time.
(d) For not checking books out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
2. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
3. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
4. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
5. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Helene mean when she says, "From where I sit, London's a lot closer than 17th Street"?
2. How does Helene get nylons to women of Marks & Co.?
3. What kind of books of poems does Helene request from Marks & Co. in her March 25, 1950 letter?
4. What does Helene apologize to the London booksellers for on behalf of America?
5. Why won't Helene send her payments in money orders instead of cash as the booksellers have requested?
6. What are Helene's friend Maxine's impressions when she visits Marks & Co. in London?
7. Why is Frank's passion for old books comforting to Helene?
8. Who gives Helene permission to print her correspondence over the years with Frank Doel?
9. What prompts Frank's wife Nora to write Helene for the first time?
10. Why is Helene so thrilled to receive Walton's Lives from Frank in 1952?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)