|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(a) Times Square.
(c) 17th Street.
(d) Rockefeller Plaza.
2. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
(a) A mean streak.
(b) A wonderful sense of humor.
(c) Mental instability.
(d) Odd taste in literature.
3. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her British niece.
(b) Her British neighbor.
(c) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
(d) Her niece's boyfriend.
4. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
(b) Very stylish.
(d) Young and sophisticated.
5. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
(a) A wealthy heiress.
(b) A poor writer.
(c) A poor teacher.
(d) A bored housewife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
2. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
3. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
4. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
5. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Helene explain to Frank is her reason that she doesn't care for fiction?
2. Why does Cecily write to tell Helene that no Christmas package will be necessary in 1953?
3. Why does Cecily invite Helene to visit England?
4. What does Nora reveal to Helene that Frank chastises her for?
5. Why is Sheila going to say a "jolly good prayer" for Helene?
6. Why does Helene Hanff write the first letter to the proprietors of the Marks & Co. bookstore in London, England?
7. How does Cecily describe Frank in her letter to Helene?
8. How does Helene respond when Cecily expresses concern for how much Helene spends on the care packages she sends?
9. Why does Frank drop the "Miss" in his salutation to Helene in the February 14, 1952 letter?
10. How does Helene learn that the other employees of Mark & Co are curious about her?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)