|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
2. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
(a) 17th Street.
(c) Rockefeller Center.
(d) Times Square.
3. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) The library is often cold.
(b) Her store is rarely heated.
(c) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
(d) Her classroom is drafty.
4. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
(a) A museum.
(b) The garbage.
(c) The Library of Congress.
(d) A library in an English estate.
5. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
(a) A poor writer.
(b) A poor teacher.
(c) A bored housewife.
(d) A wealthy heiress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
2. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
3. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
4. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
5. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
Short Essay Questions
1. What terms does Helene play "girl etymologist" for Maxine, and explain?
2. What does Helene tell Cecily is her reason for loving books?
3. Why does Helene Hanff write the first letter to the proprietors of the Marks & Co. bookstore in London, England?
4. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
5. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
6. What does Helene apologize to the London booksellers for on behalf of America?
7. What is the tone of Helene's reply to Maxine's letter describing Marks & Co.?
8. Why is Helene concerned that Frank may be ripping pages out of books?
9. Why does Helene have to stall her travel plans to England in 1953?
10. Why is Helene so thrilled to receive Walton's Lives from Frank in 1952?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)