|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Five months.
(d) Six months.
2. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(a) Times Square.
(b) 17th Street.
(d) Rockefeller Plaza.
3. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) Saturday Review of Literature.
(c) Bookpress Monthly.
(d) Barnes & Noble.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Presbyterian cousins.
(b) Methodist sister-in-law.
(c) Catholic sister-in-law.
(d) Baptist mother.
5. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) January 1950.
(b) March 1950.
(c) November 1949.
(d) December 1949.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
2. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
3. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
4. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
5. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Helene chastise Frank for in September of 1952?
2. Why does Cecily invite Helene to visit England?
3. What does Helene tell Cecily is her reason for loving books?
4. What news about his daughter, Sheila, does Frank share with Helene in 1963?
5. What is written in the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. bookstore?
6. What does Helene explain to Frank is her reason that she doesn't care for fiction?
7. Who writes Helene to thank her for the 1951 Easter package?
8. Why does Helene have to stall her travel plans to England in 1953?
9. What is Helene's response to Frank inquiring if she would like a first edition of Newman's Idea of a University?
10. What does Nora reveal to Helene after Frank dies?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)