|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
(a) Odd taste in literature.
(b) A mean streak.
(c) A wonderful sense of humor.
(d) Mental instability.
2. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Times Square.
(c) Rockefeller Plaza.
3. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She is disappointed in the quality.
(b) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(c) She decides it is too expensive.
(d) She gives it as a gift.
4. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) Rockefeller Plaza.
(b) 17th Street.
(c) Times Square.
(d) 42nd Street.
5. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
(a) West 42nd Street.
(c) East 95th Street.
(d) Charing Cross Road.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
2. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
3. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
4. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
5. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Helene complain about in her letter to Frank in January 1958?
2. Why does Helene need to stop purchasing books in 1961?
3. What does Nora reveal to Helene that Frank chastises her for?
4. What happens to Helene's home in 1956?
5. What is Helene's response to Frank inquiring if she would like a first edition of Newman's Idea of a University?
6. Why does Cecily invite Helene to visit England?
7. What does Helene think of the first books she receives from Marks & Co. versus the books she buys in America?
8. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
9. What news about Cecily does Nora share with Helene?
10. Why is Helene upset about the Pepys' Diary sent to her?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)