|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
2. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Rockefeller Center.
(c) Times Square.
3. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
(a) Virginibus Puerisque.
(b) Leigh Hunt essays.
(c) Hazlitt essays.
(d) Selected Essays of Stevenson.
4. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The long silence between letters.
(b) The incorrect billing amount.
(c) The poor condition of the books.
(d) The Latin Bible.
5. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her niece's boyfriend.
(b) Her British neighbor.
(c) Her British niece.
(d) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
2. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
3. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
4. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
5. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocking news does Helene receive from Marks & Co. in 1968?
2. How does Cecily describe Frank in her letter to Helene?
3. How does Helene respond when Cecily expresses concern for how much Helene spends on the care packages she sends?
4. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
5. Why is Sheila going to say a "jolly good prayer" for Helene?
6. Why does Helene joke with Frank about the British occupation of New York from 1776 through 1783?
7. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
8. What are Helene's friend Maxine's impressions when she visits Marks & Co. in London?
9. Why does Cecily request that Helene save any travel plans to England until 1955?
10. Why is Helene so thrilled to receive Walton's Lives from Frank in 1952?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)