|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
(a) In France.
(b) In a wheelchair.
(c) In the RAF.
(d) In prison.
2. What does Helene do for a living?
(a) Shop girl.
3. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
4. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Rockefeller Plaza.
(c) Times Square.
(d) 42nd Street.
5. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(b) Quite nice looking.
(c) An older gentleman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
2. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
3. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
4. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
5. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Helene's friend Maxine's impressions when she visits Marks & Co. in London?
2. How does Helene describe herself in her letter to Cecily?
3. Why does Helene need to stop purchasing books in 1961?
4. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
5. Why does Helene's request from the British booksellers decrease by 1968?
6. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
7. What does the staff of Marks & Co. do with the 1951 Christmas package Helene sends?
8. What prompts Frank's wife Nora to write Helene for the first time?
9. Why does Helene inquire about the rations in London in a letter to Marks & Co?
10. Why does Cecily invite Helene to visit England?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)