|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
2. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
3. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
4. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(a) Yours faithfully.
(d) With highest regard.
5. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) November 1949.
(b) March 1950.
(c) December 1949.
(d) January 1950.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of place does Helene live in?
2. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
3. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
4. What does Helene do for a living?
5. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Helene's response to Frank inquiring if she would like a first edition of Newman's Idea of a University?
2. What does Helene complain about in her letter to Frank in January 1958?
3. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
4. What does Nora reveal to Helene that Frank chastises her for?
5. How does Helene get nylons to women of Marks & Co.?
6. What kind of books of poems does Helene request from Marks & Co. in her March 25, 1950 letter?
7. What is written in the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. bookstore?
8. What is Helene doing for a living in 1964?
9. Why is Helene upset about the Pepys' Diary sent to her?
10. What does Helene mean when she says, "From where I sit, London's a lot closer than 17th Street"?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)