|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The poor condition of the books.
(b) The incorrect billing amount.
(c) The long silence between letters.
(d) The Latin Bible.
2. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Frank Doel.
(b) Ben Marks.
(c) Megan Wells.
(d) Her parents.
3. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
(a) Five months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Eight months.
(d) Seven months.
4. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How vulgar they are.
(b) How badly they treat Jews.
(c) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
(d) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
5. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Parish Guild.
(b) The Pilgrim's Way.
(c) The Penguin's Path.
(d) The Complete works of Q.
Short Answer Questions
1. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
2. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
3. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
4. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
5. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Helene's home in 1956?
2. What information does Frank's wife Nora share in her first letter to Helene?
3. What does Helene tell Cecily is her reason for loving books?
4. What does Helene chastise Frank for in September of 1952?
5. Why does Helene joke with Frank about the British occupation of New York from 1776 through 1783?
6. What is Helene doing for a living in 1964?
7. What are Helene's friend Maxine's impressions when she visits Marks & Co. in London?
8. What do Frank and the rest of the Marks & Co. staff send to Helene as a token of their appreciation for the care packages?
9. What does Helene apologize about in her letter to Cecily?
10. What prompts Frank's wife Nora to write Helene for the first time?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)