|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
(a) Westminster Street.
(b) Wimpole Street.
(c) Buckingham Street.
(d) Berkeley Street.
2. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) One chicken per month.
(b) Two ounces per week.
(c) Three ounces per week.
(d) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
3. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
(a) Rare collectors' editions.
(c) Out-of-print books.
(d) Latest edition bestsellers.
4. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
(b) Anne Frank's.
(c) Sam Pepys'.
5. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Frank Doel.
(b) Her parents.
(c) Megan Wells.
(d) Ben Marks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
2. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
3. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
4. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
5. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What terms does Helene play "girl etymologist" for Maxine, and explain?
2. What is the tone of the note Helene sends with her Easter gift to Mark & Co?
3. What is the tone of Helene's reply to Maxine's letter describing Marks & Co.?
4. What does Frank credit the increase in tourism to in 1965?
5. Where does Helene get her books during the long silence from Mark & Co at the beginning of 1950?
6. What news about Cecily does Nora share with Helene?
7. What does Helene think of the first books she receives from Marks & Co. versus the books she buys in America?
8. What doesn't Helene like about the New Testaments sent to her by Marks & Co?
9. What does the staff of Marks & Co. do with the 1951 Christmas package Helene sends?
10. What mistake is Helene afraid she made by sending a ham in her Christmas package to Marks & Co.?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)