|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Helene wants Maxine to write her about?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(b) The tube.
(c) Inns of the Court.
(d) Globe Theater.
2. How does Marks & Co. send books to Helene?
(a) Book Post.
(d) Special courier.
3. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
(d) Books of poetry.
4. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
(a) Elizabethan poems.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Leigh Hunt.
(d) Pepys' Diary.
5. What kind of place does Maxine find to stay during her visit to London?
(a) Boarding house.
6. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(b) Her birthday.
(d) Cecily's birthday.
7. Helene tells Maxine in her February 1952 letter that she may not have the __________ to visit Marks & Co. someday.
8. What impressed Helene about the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Rare poems.
(b) Gold letters on the cover.
(c) Pages edged in gold.
(d) The inscription.
9. Where does Helene wish her English friends had inscribed the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) The back cover.
(b) The flyleaf.
(c) The first page.
(d) A card.
10. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
(a) Treacle tart.
(b) Yorkshire Pudding.
(d) Christmas pudding.
11. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
12. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(a) Hard-cover first editions.
(b) Sheet music.
(c) Hard-cover vocal scores.
13. What is the name of Frank and Nora's oldest daughter?
14. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
(a) Rack of lamb.
(b) Tins of chocolate.
(c) Tins of tongue.
(d) Whole turkey.
15. From what company does Helene order the packages that she sends to Marks & Co.?
(a) Saks Fifth Avenue.
(c) Brimley and Bircher Associates.
(d) Overseas Associates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
2. Helene says after she visits England, America will have to apologize for her _____________.
3. What does Maxine report to Helene that the bookshelves in Marks & Co. are made of?
4. What is Frank's concern about the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
5. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)