|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene relay to Maxine that her mother is sending her?
(a) Nestle bars.
2. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
(a) Red nail polish.
(c) Red wine.
3. What did Helene's salary get raised to in 1952?
(a) $250 per script.
(b) $300 per script.
(c) $350 per month.
(d) $250 per week.
4. Maxine thought Marks & Co. had a ____________ smell.
5. What year was the Walton's Lives published that Frank sends to Helene in March 1952?
6. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
(a) Treacle tart.
(b) Christmas pudding.
(c) Yorkshire Pudding.
7. Helene says after she visits England, America will have to apologize for her _____________.
8. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
(a) Wuthering Heights.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Little Women.
9. What does Frank recommend Helene use to clean her Grolier Bible?
(a) Soap and soda water.
(c) Dry cloth.
10. Who says they will gladly put up Helene when she visits England if they are still alive?
(a) Mr. Marks.
(c) Mrs. Boulton.
11. What TV series is Helene writing for?
(a) Hitchcock Presents.
(b) Petticoat Junction.
(c) Ellery Queen.
(d) Perry Mason.
12. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
13. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(a) Hard-cover vocal scores.
(c) Hard-cover first editions.
(d) Sheet music.
14. Where does Helene wish her English friends had inscribed the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) A card.
(b) The flyleaf.
(c) The first page.
(d) The back cover.
15. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
2. What does Frank's wife Nora reveal she has used the tins of dried eggs to trade for?
3. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
4. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Helene wants Maxine to write her about?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)