|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
(a) His honeymoon.
(b) His summer house.
(c) His new house.
(d) His Porsche.
2. What does Frank recommend Helene use to clean her Grolier Bible?
(b) Soap and soda water.
(d) Dry cloth.
3. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
(a) Little Women.
(c) Wuthering Heights.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
4. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
5. How many employees are working at Marks & Co. in 1951?
6. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
7. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
(a) Tins of tongue.
(b) Whole turkey.
(c) Tins of chocolate.
(d) Rack of lamb.
8. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Helene will visit England.
(b) Helene will invite her to America.
(c) Helene will send more eggs.
(d) Helene will send nylons.
9. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
(a) Real eggs.
10. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
11. What did Helene's salary get raised to in 1952?
(a) $250 per script.
(b) $250 per week.
(c) $300 per script.
(d) $350 per month.
12. Who made the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) Frank's eighty year old neighbor.
(b) Frank's wife.
(c) Cecily's eighty year old grandmother.
(d) Frank's eighty year old mother.
13. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Cecily's birthday.
(c) Her birthday.
14. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
15. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
(b) Books of poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
2. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
3. How old is Bill Humphries' great-aunt who he lives with?
4. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
5. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)