|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene relay to Maxine that her mother is sending her?
(c) Nestle bars.
2. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
(a) Real eggs.
3. What book does Helene tell Frank she is terribly disappointed with in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Elizabethan Poems.
(b) Pepys' Diary.
(c) Vulgate Latin.
(d) Eric Coates' London Suite.
4. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
(a) The Coronation.
(b) The summer.
(c) A book festival.
(d) A week at the beach.
5. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
6. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Helene wants Maxine to write her about?
(a) Inns of the Court.
(b) Globe Theater.
(c) Buckingham Palace.
(d) The tube.
7. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(b) Margaret Thatcher.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) Neville Chamberlain.
8. How does Marks & Co. send books to Helene?
(a) Book Post.
(b) Special courier.
9. What kind of place does Maxine find to stay during her visit to London?
(b) Boarding house.
10. What does Maxine report to Helene that the bookshelves in Marks & Co. are made of?
11. Cruikshank, Rackham and Spy are all English ______________.
12. Who says they will gladly put up Helene when she visits England if they are still alive?
(a) Mr. Marks.
(c) Mrs. Boulton.
13. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
(a) His summer house.
(b) His new house.
(c) His honeymoon.
(d) His Porsche.
14. What is Frank's concern about the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) She won't like the color.
(b) She might have to pay a duty.
(c) She might already have one.
(d) It won't fit.
15. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(b) Her birthday.
(d) Cecily's birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
2. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
3. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
4. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
5. What does Helene request that Frank ask the other employees to vote on in October 1951?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)