|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
(c) Red nail polish.
(d) Red wine.
2. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
(a) Her wisdom teeth removed.
(b) A root canal.
(c) Her teeth capped.
(d) Gum surgery.
3. What type of essays does Frank let Helene know he is sending her in February 1951?
(c) Eighteenth Century.
(d) Seventeenth Century.
4. What does Helene threaten to do with the ripped pages of the book she is terribly disappointed by in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Mail them to Frank.
(b) Wrap things in them.
(c) Paper her walls.
(d) Burn them.
5. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Leigh Hunt.
(c) Pepys' Diary.
(d) Elizabethan poems.
6. What does Helene request that Frank ask the other employees to vote on in October 1951?
(a) Who should visit Helene.
(b) Which books to send next.
(c) Powdered eggs or fresh eggs.
(d) Where Helene should stay in London.
7. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
(a) Tins of chocolate.
(b) Whole turkey.
(c) Tins of tongue.
(d) Rack of lamb.
8. Cruikshank, Rackham and Spy are all English ______________.
9. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Cecily's birthday.
(b) Her birthday.
10. What does Maxine report to Helene that the bookshelves in Marks & Co. are made of?
11. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
12. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
(a) $40 per week.
(b) $400 per week.
(c) $200 per week.
(d) $20 per week.
13. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
(a) A book festival.
(b) The summer.
(c) The Coronation.
(d) A week at the beach.
14. What does Helene tell Frank she does with the books she no longer wants?
(a) Throws them away.
(b) Gives them to friends.
(c) Donates them to a library.
(d) Leaves them on a park bench.
15. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
(b) Books of poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Bill Humphries' great-aunt who he lives with?
2. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
3. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
4. What does Helene love to find in secondhand books?
5. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)