|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene promise her English friends she will try not to get on the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Gin and ashes.
(b) Wine and crumbs.
(c) Tears and smears.
(d) Coffee and chocolate.
2. Cruikshank, Rackham and Spy are all English ______________.
3. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
(b) Wuthering Heights.
(c) Little Women.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
4. Helene says after she visits England, America will have to apologize for her _____________.
5. What did Helene's salary get raised to in 1952?
(a) $350 per month.
(b) $250 per script.
(c) $250 per week.
(d) $300 per script.
6. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
(a) Her wisdom teeth removed.
(b) Gum surgery.
(c) Her teeth capped.
(d) A root canal.
7. What does Frank buy in the summer of 1952?
(a) A plane ticket.
(b) A dog.
(c) A car.
(d) A house.
8. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
9. What does Helene love to find in secondhand books?
(b) Grocery lists.
(d) Love letters.
10. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
(a) Red wine.
(c) Red nail polish.
11. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Helene wants Maxine to write her about?
(a) Globe Theater.
(b) Buckingham Palace.
(c) Inns of the Court.
(d) The tube.
12. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
(a) Yorkshire Pudding.
(c) Treacle tart.
(d) Christmas pudding.
13. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
(a) Her birthday.
(d) Brian's birthday.
14. What does Helene threaten to do with the ripped pages of the book she is terribly disappointed by in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Mail them to Frank.
(b) Burn them.
(c) Wrap things in them.
(d) Paper her walls.
15. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank's wife Nora reveal she has used the tins of dried eggs to trade for?
2. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
3. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
4. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
5. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)