|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bill Humphries offer to Helene in his April 1951 letter?
(a) To send her free books.
(b) To send her anything from London.
(c) To visit her in America.
(d) To stay with his family in London.
2. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
(c) Books of poetry.
3. What book does Helene tell Frank she is terribly disappointed with in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Eric Coates' London Suite.
(b) Elizabethan Poems.
(c) Pepys' Diary.
(d) Vulgate Latin.
4. Cruikshank, Rackham and Spy are all English ______________.
5. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
(a) $400 per week.
(b) $40 per week.
(c) $200 per week.
(d) $20 per week.
6. What does Helene tell Frank she does with the books she no longer wants?
(a) Leaves them on a park bench.
(b) Throws them away.
(c) Donates them to a library.
(d) Gives them to friends.
7. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
(a) Country estates.
(b) Library sales.
8. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
(a) Cecily will go to America.
(b) Helene should stay with Frank's family.
(c) Send fresh eggs.
(d) Send her the Dictionary to the Vulgate.
9. What does Frank buy in the summer of 1952?
(a) A dog.
(b) A house.
(c) A car.
(d) A plane ticket.
10. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Wuthering Heights.
(c) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
(d) John Donne.
11. What does Helene request that Frank ask the other employees to vote on in October 1951?
(a) Where Helene should stay in London.
(b) Which books to send next.
(c) Powdered eggs or fresh eggs.
(d) Who should visit Helene.
12. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
13. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
(a) Brian's birthday.
(d) Her birthday.
14. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
15. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
2. What does Helene promise her English friends she will try not to get on the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
3. Who made the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
4. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
5. What impressed Helene about the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)