|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
(a) Treacle tart.
(c) Yorkshire Pudding.
(d) Christmas pudding.
2. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
(c) Real eggs.
3. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(b) Hard-cover first editions.
(c) Hard-cover vocal scores.
(d) Sheet music.
4. What did Helene's salary get raised to in 1952?
(a) $350 per month.
(b) $300 per script.
(c) $250 per week.
(d) $250 per script.
5. What does Frank buy in the summer of 1952?
(a) A plane ticket.
(b) A car.
(c) A dog.
(d) A house.
6. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
(a) Library sales.
(c) Country estates.
7. What does Helene promise her English friends she will try not to get on the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Wine and crumbs.
(b) Coffee and chocolate.
(c) Gin and ashes.
(d) Tears and smears.
8. How does Marks & Co. send books to Helene?
(a) Book Post.
(b) Special courier.
9. What is Frank's concern about the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) She might have to pay a duty.
(b) It won't fit.
(c) She might already have one.
(d) She won't like the color.
10. From what company does Helene order the packages that she sends to Marks & Co.?
(a) Overseas Associates.
(c) Saks Fifth Avenue.
(d) Brimley and Bircher Associates.
11. Helene says after she visits England, America will have to apologize for her _____________.
12. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
(a) His summer house.
(b) His new house.
(c) His honeymoon.
(d) His Porsche.
13. Helene apologizes on behalf of America for letting England _____________.
14. What book does Helene tell Frank she is terribly disappointed with in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Elizabethan Poems.
(b) Vulgate Latin.
(c) Pepys' Diary.
(d) Eric Coates' London Suite.
15. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
(c) Books of poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cruikshank, Rackham and Spy are all English ______________.
2. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
3. Helene tells Maxine in her February 1952 letter that she may not have the __________ to visit Marks & Co. someday.
4. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
5. What kind of place does Maxine find to stay during her visit to London?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)