|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
(a) Tins of chocolate.
(b) Whole turkey.
(c) Rack of lamb.
(d) Tins of tongue.
2. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
(a) Yorkshire Pudding.
(b) Christmas pudding.
(c) Treacle tart.
3. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
(a) Pall Mall Cigarettes.
(b) Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
(c) Bayuk Cigars.
(d) Bazooka Bubblegum.
4. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
(a) Real eggs.
5. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) Wuthering Heights.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) John Donne.
(d) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
6. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
7. What does Helene love to find in secondhand books?
(a) Grocery lists.
(b) Love letters.
8. How many employees are working at Marks & Co. in 1951?
9. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Helene wants Maxine to write her about?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(b) The tube.
(c) Inns of the Court.
(d) Globe Theater.
10. Helene apologizes on behalf of America for letting England _____________.
11. What does Helene request that Frank ask the other employees to vote on in October 1951?
(a) Which books to send next.
(b) Powdered eggs or fresh eggs.
(c) Where Helene should stay in London.
(d) Who should visit Helene.
12. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Helene will visit England.
(b) Helene will send more eggs.
(c) Helene will invite her to America.
(d) Helene will send nylons.
13. Who says they will gladly put up Helene when she visits England if they are still alive?
(b) Mrs. Boulton.
(c) Mr. Marks.
14. What does Frank buy in the summer of 1952?
(a) A plane ticket.
(b) A house.
(c) A dog.
(d) A car.
15. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Neville Chamberlain.
(d) Margaret Thatcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Helene tell Frank she is terribly disappointed with in her October 1951 letter?
2. What does Helene threaten to do with the ripped pages of the book she is terribly disappointed by in her October 1951 letter?
3. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
4. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
5. What does Frank recommend Helene use to clean her Grolier Bible?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)