|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
(a) Bayuk Cigars.
(b) Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
(c) Bazooka Bubblegum.
(d) Pall Mall Cigarettes.
2. What type of essays does Frank let Helene know he is sending her in February 1951?
(b) Seventeenth Century.
(d) Eighteenth Century.
3. What is Frank's concern about the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) It won't fit.
(b) She might already have one.
(c) She won't like the color.
(d) She might have to pay a duty.
4. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
(a) Her wisdom teeth removed.
(b) Gum surgery.
(c) Her teeth capped.
(d) A root canal.
5. What does Helene threaten to do with the ripped pages of the book she is terribly disappointed by in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Paper her walls.
(b) Burn them.
(c) Wrap things in them.
(d) Mail them to Frank.
6. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
(a) Red wine.
(d) Red nail polish.
7. Helene apologizes on behalf of America for letting England _____________.
8. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
9. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(b) Margaret Thatcher.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) Neville Chamberlain.
10. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
(a) Leigh Hunt.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Pepys' Diary.
(d) Elizabethan poems.
11. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
12. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
(a) Wuthering Heights.
(b) Little Women.
(c) Pride and Prejudice.
13. What does Frank recommend Helene use to clean her Grolier Bible?
(c) Dry cloth.
(d) Soap and soda water.
14. Who says they will gladly put up Helene when she visits England if they are still alive?
(b) Mr. Marks.
(c) Mrs. Boulton.
15. What does Maxine report to Helene that the bookshelves in Marks & Co. are made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
2. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
3. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
4. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
5. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)