|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many employees are working at Marks & Co. in 1951?
2. What does Helene tell Frank she does with the books she no longer wants?
(a) Gives them to friends.
(b) Throws them away.
(c) Donates them to a library.
(d) Leaves them on a park bench.
3. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
4. What does Helene promise her English friends she will try not to get on the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Coffee and chocolate.
(b) Wine and crumbs.
(c) Tears and smears.
(d) Gin and ashes.
5. Maxine thought Marks & Co. had a ____________ smell.
6. What does Frank buy in the summer of 1952?
(a) A plane ticket.
(b) A car.
(c) A dog.
(d) A house.
7. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) John Donne.
(c) Wuthering Heights.
(d) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
8. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
(d) Real eggs.
9. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
(c) Library sales.
(d) Country estates.
10. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
(a) Yorkshire Pudding.
(b) Treacle tart.
(c) Christmas pudding.
11. What TV series is Helene writing for?
(a) Petticoat Junction.
(b) Perry Mason.
(c) Ellery Queen.
(d) Hitchcock Presents.
12. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(a) Hard-cover vocal scores.
(b) Sheet music.
(d) Hard-cover first editions.
13. What does Helene love to find in secondhand books?
(c) Love letters.
(d) Grocery lists.
14. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
15. What does Frank's wife Nora reveal she has used the tins of dried eggs to trade for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
2. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
3. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
4. What impressed Helene about the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
5. Helene tells Maxine in her February 1952 letter that she may not have the __________ to visit Marks & Co. someday.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)