|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Frank's concern about the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) She won't like the color.
(b) She might already have one.
(c) She might have to pay a duty.
(d) It won't fit.
2. What is the name of Frank and Nora's oldest daughter?
3. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(b) Hard-cover vocal scores.
(c) Sheet music.
(d) Hard-cover first editions.
4. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(b) Cecily's birthday.
(d) Her birthday.
5. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
(a) His summer house.
(b) His new house.
(c) His honeymoon.
(d) His Porsche.
6. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
(a) Elizabethan poems.
(b) Pepys' Diary.
(c) Leigh Hunt.
(d) James Joyce.
7. What year was the Walton's Lives published that Frank sends to Helene in March 1952?
8. What did Helene's salary get raised to in 1952?
(a) $250 per week.
(b) $250 per script.
(c) $300 per script.
(d) $350 per month.
9. How does Marks & Co. send books to Helene?
(a) Book Post.
(b) Special courier.
10. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
(a) Tins of chocolate.
(b) Rack of lamb.
(c) Whole turkey.
(d) Tins of tongue.
11. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
12. Helene says after she visits England, America will have to apologize for her _____________.
13. How many employees are working at Marks & Co. in 1951?
14. What does Helene request that Frank ask the other employees to vote on in October 1951?
(a) Where Helene should stay in London.
(b) Which books to send next.
(c) Who should visit Helene.
(d) Powdered eggs or fresh eggs.
15. What does Maxine report to Helene that the bookshelves in Marks & Co. are made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Cruikshank, Rackham and Spy are all English ______________.
2. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
3. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
4. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
5. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)