|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
2. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
(a) Send fresh eggs.
(b) Helene should stay with Frank's family.
(c) Cecily will go to America.
(d) Send her the Dictionary to the Vulgate.
3. What year was the Walton's Lives published that Frank sends to Helene in March 1952?
4. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(a) Hard-cover vocal scores.
(c) Hard-cover first editions.
(d) Sheet music.
5. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
(b) Books of poetry.
6. From what company does Helene order the packages that she sends to Marks & Co.?
(a) Saks Fifth Avenue.
(c) Brimley and Bircher Associates.
(d) Overseas Associates.
7. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
8. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Wuthering Heights.
(c) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
(d) John Donne.
9. What does Frank recommend Helene use to clean her Grolier Bible?
(a) Soap and soda water.
(c) Dry cloth.
10. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Wuthering Heights.
(d) Little Women.
11. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(b) Neville Chamberlain.
(c) Winston Churchill.
(d) Margaret Thatcher.
12. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
(a) A book festival.
(b) The Coronation.
(c) A week at the beach.
(d) The summer.
13. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
(b) Real eggs.
14. Helene tells Maxine in her February 1952 letter that she may not have the __________ to visit Marks & Co. someday.
15. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Cruikshank, Rackham and Spy are all English ______________.
2. How old is Bill Humphries' great-aunt who he lives with?
3. What does Helene promise her English friends she will try not to get on the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
4. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
5. Who made the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)