|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Helene will send more eggs.
(b) Helene will send nylons.
(c) Helene will invite her to America.
(d) Helene will visit England.
2. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(a) Hard-cover first editions.
(b) Sheet music.
(d) Hard-cover vocal scores.
3. What does Frank's wife Nora reveal she has used the tins of dried eggs to trade for?
4. Helene tells Maxine in her February 1952 letter that she may not have the __________ to visit Marks & Co. someday.
5. What is Frank's concern about the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) She won't like the color.
(b) She might already have one.
(c) She might have to pay a duty.
(d) It won't fit.
6. What book does Helene tell Frank she is terribly disappointed with in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Vulgate Latin.
(b) Eric Coates' London Suite.
(c) Pepys' Diary.
(d) Elizabethan Poems.
7. How many employees are working at Marks & Co. in 1951?
8. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
(a) Little Women.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) Wuthering Heights.
9. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) John Donne.
(c) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
(d) Wuthering Heights.
10. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
(a) His summer house.
(b) His honeymoon.
(c) His Porsche.
(d) His new house.
11. Helene says after she visits England, America will have to apologize for her _____________.
12. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
(a) Rack of lamb.
(b) Tins of tongue.
(c) Tins of chocolate.
(d) Whole turkey.
13. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
(a) Helene should stay with Frank's family.
(b) Send her the Dictionary to the Vulgate.
(c) Cecily will go to America.
(d) Send fresh eggs.
14. What does Helene request that Frank ask the other employees to vote on in October 1951?
(a) Where Helene should stay in London.
(b) Who should visit Helene.
(c) Which books to send next.
(d) Powdered eggs or fresh eggs.
15. What does Helene tell Frank she does with the books she no longer wants?
(a) Leaves them on a park bench.
(b) Gives them to friends.
(c) Donates them to a library.
(d) Throws them away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
2. How old is Bill Humphries' great-aunt who he lives with?
3. What does Frank recommend Helene use to clean her Grolier Bible?
4. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
5. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)