|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
(a) Red wine.
(b) Red nail polish.
2. What does Helene tell Frank she does with the books she no longer wants?
(a) Leaves them on a park bench.
(b) Throws them away.
(c) Gives them to friends.
(d) Donates them to a library.
3. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
4. What does Helene relay to Maxine that her mother is sending her?
(d) Nestle bars.
5. Where does Helene wish her English friends had inscribed the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) The first page.
(b) A card.
(c) The back cover.
(d) The flyleaf.
6. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(b) Cecily's birthday.
(d) Her birthday.
7. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
(b) Real eggs.
8. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
(a) Bayuk Cigars.
(b) Bazooka Bubblegum.
(c) Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
(d) Pall Mall Cigarettes.
9. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
(a) Books of poetry.
10. What year was the Walton's Lives published that Frank sends to Helene in March 1952?
11. Helene tells Maxine in her February 1952 letter that she may not have the __________ to visit Marks & Co. someday.
12. What does Bill Humphries offer to Helene in his April 1951 letter?
(a) To stay with his family in London.
(b) To send her free books.
(c) To visit her in America.
(d) To send her anything from London.
13. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Helene wants Maxine to write her about?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(b) Globe Theater.
(c) Inns of the Court.
(d) The tube.
14. What did Helene's salary get raised to in 1952?
(a) $350 per month.
(b) $250 per script.
(c) $250 per week.
(d) $300 per script.
15. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
(a) Treacle tart.
(b) Christmas pudding.
(c) Yorkshire Pudding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
2. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
3. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
4. Who made the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
5. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)