|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cruikshank, Rackham and Spy are all English ______________.
2. What does Helene relay to Maxine that her mother is sending her?
(b) Nestle bars.
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Helene wants Maxine to write her about?
(a) Inns of the Court.
(b) Globe Theater.
(c) The tube.
(d) Buckingham Palace.
4. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
5. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
(a) A week at the beach.
(b) The Coronation.
(c) The summer.
(d) A book festival.
6. Where does Helene wish her English friends had inscribed the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) The flyleaf.
(b) The first page.
(c) The back cover.
(d) A card.
7. What year was the Walton's Lives published that Frank sends to Helene in March 1952?
8. What is the name of Frank and Nora's oldest daughter?
9. What TV series is Helene writing for?
(a) Petticoat Junction.
(b) Ellery Queen.
(c) Hitchcock Presents.
(d) Perry Mason.
10. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) John Donne.
(d) Wuthering Heights.
11. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Helene will invite her to America.
(b) Helene will visit England.
(c) Helene will send nylons.
(d) Helene will send more eggs.
12. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Wuthering Heights.
(c) Little Women.
13. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
14. Who made the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) Frank's wife.
(b) Frank's eighty year old neighbor.
(c) Frank's eighty year old mother.
(d) Cecily's eighty year old grandmother.
15. What does Helene threaten to do with the ripped pages of the book she is terribly disappointed by in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Burn them.
(b) Wrap things in them.
(c) Paper her walls.
(d) Mail them to Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
2. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
3. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
4. How many employees are working at Marks & Co. in 1951?
5. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)