|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What TV series is Helene writing for?
(a) Perry Mason.
(b) Petticoat Junction.
(c) Hitchcock Presents.
(d) Ellery Queen.
2. How does Marks & Co. send books to Helene?
(a) Book Post.
(b) Special courier.
3. What does Helene promise her English friends she will try not to get on the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Coffee and chocolate.
(b) Gin and ashes.
(c) Wine and crumbs.
(d) Tears and smears.
4. What does Frank buy in the summer of 1952?
(a) A dog.
(b) A plane ticket.
(c) A house.
(d) A car.
5. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) John Donne.
(b) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
(c) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) Wuthering Heights.
6. What year was the Walton's Lives published that Frank sends to Helene in March 1952?
7. What does Bill Humphries do for Marks & Co.?
8. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Neville Chamberlain.
(b) Winston Churchill.
(c) Margaret Thatcher.
(d) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
9. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
(a) $20 per week.
(b) $40 per week.
(c) $200 per week.
(d) $400 per week.
10. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
(d) Books of poetry.
11. Who made the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) Frank's eighty year old mother.
(b) Frank's wife.
(c) Frank's eighty year old neighbor.
(d) Cecily's eighty year old grandmother.
12. Helene says after she visits England, America will have to apologize for her _____________.
13. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
(a) Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
(b) Pall Mall Cigarettes.
(c) Bayuk Cigars.
(d) Bazooka Bubblegum.
14. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
(a) Yorkshire Pudding.
(b) Christmas pudding.
(d) Treacle tart.
15. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
(a) His Porsche.
(b) His new house.
(c) His honeymoon.
(d) His summer house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
2. What type of essays does Frank let Helene know he is sending her in February 1951?
3. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
4. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
5. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)