|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maxine thought Marks & Co. had a ____________ smell.
2. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) John Donne.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Wuthering Heights.
(d) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
3. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
4. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
(a) A root canal.
(b) Her wisdom teeth removed.
(c) Gum surgery.
(d) Her teeth capped.
5. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
6. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
(b) Library sales.
(c) Country estates.
7. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
(c) Real eggs.
8. What does Helene tell Frank she does with the books she no longer wants?
(a) Leaves them on a park bench.
(b) Donates them to a library.
(c) Gives them to friends.
(d) Throws them away.
9. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
(a) Tins of chocolate.
(b) Whole turkey.
(c) Rack of lamb.
(d) Tins of tongue.
10. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
(a) Brian's birthday.
(d) Her birthday.
11. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
(a) His summer house.
(b) His honeymoon.
(c) His Porsche.
(d) His new house.
12. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
(a) Send her the Dictionary to the Vulgate.
(b) Helene should stay with Frank's family.
(c) Send fresh eggs.
(d) Cecily will go to America.
13. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
(c) Books of poetry.
14. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
15. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Helene will visit England.
(b) Helene will invite her to America.
(c) Helene will send more eggs.
(d) Helene will send nylons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank recommend Helene use to clean her Grolier Bible?
2. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
3. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
4. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
5. What type of essays does Frank let Helene know he is sending her in February 1951?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)