|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maxine report to Helene that the bookshelves in Marks & Co. are made of?
2. What does Helene request that Frank ask the other employees to vote on in October 1951?
(a) Where Helene should stay in London.
(b) Who should visit Helene.
(c) Which books to send next.
(d) Powdered eggs or fresh eggs.
3. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
4. What is Frank's concern about the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) She might have to pay a duty.
(b) She might already have one.
(c) She won't like the color.
(d) It won't fit.
5. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Helene will visit England.
(b) Helene will send more eggs.
(c) Helene will send nylons.
(d) Helene will invite her to America.
6. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(a) Hard-cover vocal scores.
(b) Sheet music.
(c) Hard-cover first editions.
7. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
(a) A week at the beach.
(b) The Coronation.
(c) The summer.
(d) A book festival.
8. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
(a) Her teeth capped.
(b) Her wisdom teeth removed.
(c) Gum surgery.
(d) A root canal.
9. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
10. Helene apologizes on behalf of America for letting England _____________.
11. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Margaret Thatcher.
(b) Neville Chamberlain.
(c) Winston Churchill.
(d) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
12. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
(a) Red wine.
(c) Red nail polish.
13. What does Bill Humphries offer to Helene in his April 1951 letter?
(a) To send her anything from London.
(b) To stay with his family in London.
(c) To visit her in America.
(d) To send her free books.
14. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
(a) His honeymoon.
(b) His Porsche.
(c) His new house.
(d) His summer house.
15. From what company does Helene order the packages that she sends to Marks & Co.?
(a) Saks Fifth Avenue.
(b) Brimley and Bircher Associates.
(d) Overseas Associates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
2. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
3. Who says they will gladly put up Helene when she visits England if they are still alive?
4. What does Frank buy in the summer of 1952?
5. What does Helene relay to Maxine that her mother is sending her?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)