|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(b) Hard-cover first editions.
(c) Sheet music.
(d) Hard-cover vocal scores.
2. What does Bill Humphries offer to Helene in his April 1951 letter?
(a) To send her free books.
(b) To send her anything from London.
(c) To visit her in America.
(d) To stay with his family in London.
3. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
4. What does Helene relay to Maxine that her mother is sending her?
(d) Nestle bars.
5. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
(a) Red wine.
(d) Red nail polish.
6. What book does Helene tell Frank she is terribly disappointed with in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Eric Coates' London Suite.
(b) Elizabethan Poems.
(c) Vulgate Latin.
(d) Pepys' Diary.
7. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
(b) Country estates.
(d) Library sales.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Helene wants Maxine to write her about?
(a) The tube.
(b) Inns of the Court.
(c) Globe Theater.
(d) Buckingham Palace.
9. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
10. What impressed Helene about the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Pages edged in gold.
(b) Gold letters on the cover.
(c) Rare poems.
(d) The inscription.
11. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
12. What does Helene love to find in secondhand books?
(a) Grocery lists.
(d) Love letters.
13. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
(a) Wuthering Heights.
(b) Little Women.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
14. What does Bill Humphries do for Marks & Co.?
15. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
(a) Her birthday.
(d) Brian's birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Frank and Nora's oldest daughter?
2. What type of essays does Frank let Helene know he is sending her in February 1951?
3. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
4. Helene tells Maxine in her February 1952 letter that she may not have the __________ to visit Marks & Co. someday.
5. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)