|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Frank's concern about the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) She won't like the color.
(b) It won't fit.
(c) She might have to pay a duty.
(d) She might already have one.
2. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
(a) Brian's birthday.
(c) Her birthday.
3. What does Helene love to find in secondhand books?
(a) Grocery lists.
(b) Love letters.
4. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
(a) Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
(b) Pall Mall Cigarettes.
(c) Bayuk Cigars.
(d) Bazooka Bubblegum.
5. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
(a) $20 per week.
(b) $400 per week.
(c) $200 per week.
(d) $40 per week.
6. Maxine thought Marks & Co. had a ____________ smell.
7. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Wuthering Heights.
(d) Little Women.
8. What does Helene promise her English friends she will try not to get on the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Tears and smears.
(b) Wine and crumbs.
(c) Coffee and chocolate.
(d) Gin and ashes.
9. From what company does Helene order the packages that she sends to Marks & Co.?
(a) Overseas Associates.
(b) Saks Fifth Avenue.
(c) Brimley and Bircher Associates.
10. What did Helene's salary get raised to in 1952?
(a) $350 per month.
(b) $250 per week.
(c) $300 per script.
(d) $250 per script.
11. What does Frank's wife Nora reveal she has used the tins of dried eggs to trade for?
12. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(a) Hard-cover vocal scores.
(c) Sheet music.
(d) Hard-cover first editions.
13. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
(b) Christmas pudding.
(c) Treacle tart.
(d) Yorkshire Pudding.
14. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Helene wants Maxine to write her about?
(a) Globe Theater.
(b) Buckingham Palace.
(c) Inns of the Court.
(d) The tube.
15. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Wuthering Heights.
(d) John Donne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
2. Where does Helene wish her English friends had inscribed the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
3. What type of essays does Frank let Helene know he is sending her in February 1951?
4. What kind of place does Maxine find to stay during her visit to London?
5. What does Maxine report to Helene that the bookshelves in Marks & Co. are made of?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)