|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene tell Frank she does with the books she no longer wants?
(a) Gives them to friends.
(b) Throws them away.
(c) Donates them to a library.
(d) Leaves them on a park bench.
2. What does Helene love to find in secondhand books?
(c) Love letters.
(d) Grocery lists.
3. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
(a) Library sales.
(b) Country estates.
4. Helene apologizes on behalf of America for letting England _____________.
5. What does Bill Humphries do for Marks & Co.?
6. What is the name of Frank and Nora's oldest daughter?
7. What does Helene relay to Maxine that her mother is sending her?
(d) Nestle bars.
8. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
9. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Wuthering Heights.
(c) John Donne.
(d) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
10. How many employees are working at Marks & Co. in 1951?
11. What is Frank's concern about the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) It won't fit.
(b) She won't like the color.
(c) She might have to pay a duty.
(d) She might already have one.
12. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
13. What does Helene threaten to do with the ripped pages of the book she is terribly disappointed by in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Paper her walls.
(b) Mail them to Frank.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Wrap things in them.
14. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
(a) Real eggs.
15. What impressed Helene about the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Pages edged in gold.
(b) Gold letters on the cover.
(c) Rare poems.
(d) The inscription.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
2. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
3. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
4. What does Bill Humphries offer to Helene in his April 1951 letter?
5. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)