|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says they will gladly put up Helene when she visits England if they are still alive?
(a) Mr. Marks.
(b) Mrs. Boulton.
2. What TV series is Helene writing for?
(a) Hitchcock Presents.
(b) Perry Mason.
(c) Petticoat Junction.
(d) Ellery Queen.
3. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
(a) Pall Mall Cigarettes.
(b) Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
(c) Bazooka Bubblegum.
(d) Bayuk Cigars.
4. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Wuthering Heights.
(c) John Donne.
(d) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
5. What does Helene send in her Easter package of 1951?
(a) Books of poetry.
6. Maxine thought Marks & Co. had a ____________ smell.
7. What new things does Helene ask to be sent to her in her November 2, 1951 letter?
(b) Hard-cover first editions.
(c) Sheet music.
(d) Hard-cover vocal scores.
8. Helene wonders if Frank's last name is ___________.
9. How does Marks & Co. send books to Helene?
(a) Book Post.
(b) Special courier.
10. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
11. What does Helene promise her English friends she will try not to get on the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) Gin and ashes.
(b) Coffee and chocolate.
(c) Wine and crumbs.
(d) Tears and smears.
12. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
(a) Library sales.
(b) Country estates.
13. How old is Bill Humphries' great-aunt who he lives with?
14. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
(a) Send fresh eggs.
(b) Cecily will go to America.
(c) Send her the Dictionary to the Vulgate.
(d) Helene should stay with Frank's family.
15. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
(a) $200 per week.
(b) $400 per week.
(c) $20 per week.
(d) $40 per week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helene apologizes on behalf of America for letting England _____________.
2. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
3. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
4. What novel does Helene finally read and love?
5. What does Megan Wells hope for in her April 1951 letter to Helene?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)