|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marks & Co. send books to Helene?
(a) Special courier.
(c) Book Post.
2. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
(a) A root canal.
(b) Her wisdom teeth removed.
(c) Her teeth capped.
(d) Gum surgery.
3. Helene says after she visits England, America will have to apologize for her _____________.
4. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
(a) The Coronation.
(b) The summer.
(c) A book festival.
(d) A week at the beach.
5. What does Frank's wife Nora reveal she has used the tins of dried eggs to trade for?
6. Where does Helene wish her English friends had inscribed the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(a) The first page.
(b) The back cover.
(c) The flyleaf.
(d) A card.
7. What does Frank finally send to Helene two years after she first requested it?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Elizabethan poems.
(c) Leigh Hunt.
(d) Pepys' Diary.
8. What does the TV producer offer Helene to write for television?
9. What company sponsors the TV series Helene is writing for?
(a) Bazooka Bubblegum.
(b) Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
(c) Bayuk Cigars.
(d) Pall Mall Cigarettes.
10. What does Frank send to Helene for Christmas 1952?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Wuthering Heights.
(c) John Donne.
(d) The Book-Lovers' Anthology.
11. What book does Helene tell Frank she is terribly disappointed with in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Pepys' Diary.
(b) Elizabethan Poems.
(c) Eric Coates' London Suite.
(d) Vulgate Latin.
12. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Helene wants Maxine to write her about?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(b) Globe Theater.
(c) Inns of the Court.
(d) The tube.
13. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
14. What does Helene request that Frank ask the other employees to vote on in October 1951?
(a) Where Helene should stay in London.
(b) Powdered eggs or fresh eggs.
(c) Which books to send next.
(d) Who should visit Helene.
15. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
(b) Her birthday.
(c) Brian's birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
2. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
3. Who made the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
4. What type of essays does Frank let Helene know he is sending her in February 1951?
5. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)