|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bill Humphries do for Marks & Co.?
2. What does Bill Humphries offer to Helene in his April 1951 letter?
(a) To send her free books.
(b) To stay with his family in London.
(c) To visit her in America.
(d) To send her anything from London.
3. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(b) Neville Chamberlain.
(c) Winston Churchill.
(d) Margaret Thatcher.
4. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
(a) Tins of chocolate.
(b) Rack of lamb.
(c) Tins of tongue.
(d) Whole turkey.
5. Maxine thought Marks & Co. had a ____________ smell.
6. What does Nora hope Helene can come to England for?
(a) The summer.
(b) A book festival.
(c) A week at the beach.
(d) The Coronation.
7. What day did Helene receive the gift book of poetry from Marks & Co.?
(b) Cecily's birthday.
(d) Her birthday.
8. What recipe does Cecily send Helene in November of 1951?
(a) Yorkshire Pudding.
(b) Christmas pudding.
(c) Treacle tart.
9. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
(c) Red nail polish.
(d) Red wine.
10. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
(a) Send fresh eggs.
(b) Cecily will go to America.
(c) Helene should stay with Frank's family.
(d) Send her the Dictionary to the Vulgate.
11. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
12. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
13. What does Helene threaten to do with the ripped pages of the book she is terribly disappointed by in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Mail them to Frank.
(b) Burn them.
(c) Wrap things in them.
(d) Paper her walls.
14. What does Helene joke that she financed for her dentist in her September 1952 letter?
(a) His new house.
(b) His Porsche.
(c) His honeymoon.
(d) His summer house.
15. What does Helene love to find in secondhand books?
(b) Grocery lists.
(d) Love letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
2. How old is Bill Humphries' great-aunt who he lives with?
3. How much does Helene make as a script writer?
4. Helene says after she visits England, America will have to apologize for her _____________.
5. What does Frank's wife Nora reveal she has used the tins of dried eggs to trade for?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)