|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene request that Frank ask the other employees to vote on in October 1951?
(a) Where Helene should stay in London.
(b) Powdered eggs or fresh eggs.
(c) Which books to send next.
(d) Who should visit Helene.
2. Who made the gift the booksellers sent to Helene for Christmas 1951?
(a) Frank's eighty year old mother.
(b) Frank's wife.
(c) Cecily's eighty year old grandmother.
(d) Frank's eighty year old neighbor.
3. Where had Frank been to buy books in the spring of 1951?
(a) Country estates.
(d) Library sales.
4. What is the only thing Maxine has trouble getting in London because of the rations?
5. Who does Frank hope will be elected in his October 1951 letter to Helene?
(a) Winston Churchill.
(b) Margaret Thatcher.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) Neville Chamberlain.
6. Who says they will gladly put up Helene when she visits England if they are still alive?
(a) Mr. Marks.
(c) Mrs. Boulton.
7. What did Helene send in her Christmas 1951 package to Marks & Co. along with two boxes of eggs?
(a) Rack of lamb.
(b) Tins of tongue.
(c) Whole turkey.
(d) Tins of chocolate.
8. Why does Helene request the recipe from Cecily?
(a) Her birthday.
(d) Brian's birthday.
9. What is the consensus of the rest of the "inmates" at Marks & Co. on the vote Helene asked Frank to take?
(a) Cecily will go to America.
(b) Send fresh eggs.
(c) Send her the Dictionary to the Vulgate.
(d) Helene should stay with Frank's family.
10. What dental work does Helene have to have done in the fall of 1952?
(a) Gum surgery.
(b) Her wisdom teeth removed.
(c) Her teeth capped.
(d) A root canal.
11. How old is Bill Humphries' great-aunt who he lives with?
12. What does Helene spill on one of the dollar bills she sends to England in November 1951?
(b) Red nail polish.
(c) Red wine.
13. What does Helene threaten to do with the ripped pages of the book she is terribly disappointed by in her October 1951 letter?
(a) Mail them to Frank.
(b) Paper her walls.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Wrap things in them.
14. What does Helene call Frank in her February 9, 1952 letter?
15. What does Helene's English friend tell her the powdered eggs in England taste like?
(c) Real eggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of essays does Frank let Helene know he is sending her in February 1951?
2. Which of the following employees of Marks & Co. was the first to write immediately to thank Helene for her 1951 Easter package?
3. Cruikshank, Rackham and Spy are all English ______________.
4. What is the name of Frank and Nora's oldest daughter?
5. Helene's friend Maxine visits London and thinks Marks & Co. is right out of __________________.
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)