|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
(a) Rockefeller Center.
(b) Times Square.
(c) 17th Street.
2. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
(b) Anne Frank's.
(d) Sam Pepys'.
3. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
(a) A wealthy heiress.
(b) A poor writer.
(c) A bored housewife.
(d) A poor teacher.
4. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
5. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) The library is often cold.
(b) Her classroom is drafty.
(c) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
(d) Her store is rarely heated.
6. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
(a) Wimpole Street.
(b) Westminster Street.
(c) Buckingham Street.
(d) Berkeley Street.
7. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
(a) Aquarian booksellers.
(b) Expensive antiques.
(c) Antiquarian booksellers.
(d) Rare and special.
8. How long does it take Helene to get a reply from Marks & Co. to her first letter?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
9. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
(a) Out-of-print books.
(c) Rare collectors' editions.
(d) Latest edition bestsellers.
10. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
11. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Complete works of Q.
(b) The Pilgrim's Way.
(c) The Penguin's Path.
(d) The Parish Guild.
12. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(a) An older gentleman.
(b) Quite nice looking.
13. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She decides it is too expensive.
(b) She gives it as a gift.
(c) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(d) She is disappointed in the quality.
14. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
(b) Raisins and eggs.
(d) Chocolate candy.
15. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
(a) Sweaters and scarves.
(b) A dozen eggs.
(c) A six pound ham.
(d) Six steaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
2. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
3. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
4. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
5. What type of place does Helene live in?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)