|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
(a) Latin Bible.
(b) Hebrew Bible.
(c) Latin New Testament.
(d) Greek New Testament.
2. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
(a) Hazlitt essays.
(b) Leigh Hunt essays.
(c) Selected Essays of Stevenson.
(d) Virginibus Puerisque.
3. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
(a) Charing Cross Road.
(c) East 95th Street.
(d) West 42nd Street.
4. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
(a) Five months.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Eight months.
5. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
(a) Antiquarian booksellers.
(b) Expensive antiques.
(c) Aquarian booksellers.
(d) Rare and special.
6. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
(d) None is correct.
7. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Barnes & Noble.
(b) Saturday Review of Literature.
(c) Bookpress Monthly.
(d) The New York Times.
8. Why does Helene fear her library card will be revoked?
(a) For not checking books out.
(b) For being too demanding of the librarians.
(c) For writing in the library books.
(d) For not returning books on time.
9. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
(a) Latest edition bestsellers.
(c) Out-of-print books.
(d) Rare collectors' editions.
10. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her British niece.
(b) Her British neighbor.
(c) Her niece's boyfriend.
(d) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
11. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
(b) Mr. Cohen.
(c) Mr. Marks.
(d) The rest of the staff.
12. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
13. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
(a) Very stylish.
(b) Young and sophisticated.
14. Helene is afraid the Easter Bunny will find that Frank has died of ____________.
15. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Catholic sister-in-law.
(b) Presbyterian cousins.
(c) Methodist sister-in-law.
(d) Baptist mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
2. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
3. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
4. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
5. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)