|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) Her classroom is drafty.
(b) Her store is rarely heated.
(c) The library is often cold.
(d) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
2. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Rockefeller Plaza.
(d) Times Square.
3. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Bookpress Monthly.
(b) Saturday Review of Literature.
(c) Barnes & Noble.
(d) The New York Times.
4. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
5. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
6. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She is disappointed in the quality.
(b) She decides it is too expensive.
(c) She gives it as a gift.
(d) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
7. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
8. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A two-story boarding house.
(b) A five-room house.
(c) A fifty-story high-rise.
(d) A five-story brownstone.
9. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
(b) For using poor grammar.
(c) For sending the wrong books.
(d) For not having love poems.
10. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
11. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
(a) In the RAF.
(b) In prison.
(c) In a wheelchair.
(d) In France.
12. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
(a) Sends them to an artist.
(b) Refurbishes them.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Uses them for packing material.
13. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
(a) A poor writer.
(b) A wealthy heiress.
(c) A bored housewife.
(d) A poor teacher.
14. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
(a) West 42nd Street.
(b) East 95th Street.
(d) Charing Cross Road.
15. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
(b) Chocolate candy.
(c) Raisins and eggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
2. What does Helene do for a living?
3. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
4. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
5. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)