|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
(a) Odd taste in literature.
(b) A mean streak.
(c) A wonderful sense of humor.
(d) Mental instability.
2. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One found in the letters.
(b) One from old war movies.
(c) One from history books.
(d) One from English literature.
3. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She decides it is too expensive.
(b) She is disappointed in the quality.
(c) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(d) She gives it as a gift.
4. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The incorrect billing amount.
(b) The poor condition of the books.
(c) The long silence between letters.
(d) The Latin Bible.
5. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(a) Rare first editions.
6. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
(a) Stiff cardboardy covers.
(b) Expensive wrapping.
(c) Soft vellum and heavy cream-colored pages.
(d) Dead-white pages.
7. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
(a) Sweaters and scarves.
(b) A dozen eggs.
(c) A six pound ham.
(d) Six steaks.
8. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
(a) The garbage.
(b) A library in an English estate.
(c) The Library of Congress.
(d) A museum.
9. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
10. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
(a) Very stylish.
(c) Young and sophisticated.
11. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Aesop's Tales.
(c) Imaginary Conversations.
(d) Greek Myths.
12. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
13. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) Times Square.
(b) 42nd Street.
(c) 17th Street.
(d) Rockefeller Plaza.
14. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Ben Marks.
(b) Megan Wells.
(c) Frank Doel.
(d) Her parents.
15. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
(a) Westminster Street.
(b) Buckingham Street.
(c) Berkeley Street.
(d) Wimpole Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
2. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
4. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
5. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)