|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
(a) Rare collectors' editions.
(b) Latest edition bestsellers.
(c) Out-of-print books.
2. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
(a) Oxford Book of English Verse.
(b) Pepys' Diary.
(c) Vulgate Latin Bible.
(d) Newman's Idea of a University.
3. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her British neighbor.
(b) Her British niece.
(c) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
(d) Her niece's boyfriend.
4. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
(a) Couch Quinery.
(b) Quentin Conch.
(d) Captain Quillen.
5. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
6. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
7. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from English literature.
(b) One from old war movies.
(c) One from history books.
(d) One found in the letters.
8. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
9. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
(a) Virginibus Puerisque.
(b) Selected Essays of Stevenson.
(c) Hazlitt essays.
(d) Leigh Hunt essays.
10. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
(b) How badly they treat Jews.
(c) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
(d) How vulgar they are.
11. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Methodist sister-in-law.
(b) Presbyterian cousins.
(c) Baptist mother.
(d) Catholic sister-in-law.
12. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Complete works of Q.
(b) The Penguin's Path.
(c) The Parish Guild.
(d) The Pilgrim's Way.
13. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
(a) Greek Myths.
(b) Aesop's Tales.
(c) Alice in Wonderland.
(d) Imaginary Conversations.
14. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She is disappointed in the quality.
(b) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(c) She gives it as a gift.
(d) She decides it is too expensive.
15. How long does it take Helene to get a reply from Marks & Co. to her first letter?
(a) Six months.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
2. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
3. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
4. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
5. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)