|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(c) Rare first editions.
2. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
(b) The library is often cold.
(c) Her store is rarely heated.
(d) Her classroom is drafty.
3. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
(a) Chocolate candy.
(c) Raisins and eggs.
4. Why does Helene fear her library card will be revoked?
(a) For writing in the library books.
(b) For being too demanding of the librarians.
(c) For not returning books on time.
(d) For not checking books out.
5. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(a) An older gentleman.
(b) Quite nice looking.
6. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) March 1950.
(b) January 1950.
(c) December 1949.
(d) November 1949.
7. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) Saturday Review of Literature.
(c) Bookpress Monthly.
(d) Barnes & Noble.
8. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
9. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
(a) Hebrew Bible.
(b) Greek New Testament.
(c) Latin New Testament.
(d) Latin Bible.
10. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Imaginary Conversations.
(c) Greek Myths.
(d) Aesop's Tales.
11. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Wyatt or Jonson.
(b) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(c) Dickenson or Frost.
(d) Keats or Shelley.
12. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) One chicken per month.
(b) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
(c) Three ounces per week.
(d) Two ounces per week.
13. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Methodist sister-in-law.
(b) Presbyterian cousins.
(c) Baptist mother.
(d) Catholic sister-in-law.
14. How long does it take Helene to get a reply from Marks & Co. to her first letter?
(a) Six months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Six weeks.
15. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
Short Answer Questions
1. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
2. What does Helene do for a living?
3. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
4. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
5. Helene is afraid the Easter Bunny will find that Frank has died of ____________.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)