|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene do for a living?
(c) Shop girl.
2. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
3. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Saturday Review of Literature.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Bookpress Monthly.
(d) Barnes & Noble.
4. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
5. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
6. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
(c) None is correct.
7. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
(b) Her British niece.
(c) Her niece's boyfriend.
(d) Her British neighbor.
8. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from old war movies.
(b) One from history books.
(c) One found in the letters.
(d) One from English literature.
9. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
(a) A museum.
(b) The Library of Congress.
(c) The garbage.
(d) A library in an English estate.
10. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
11. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
(a) Six months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Seven months.
(d) Eight months.
12. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Times Square.
(d) Rockefeller Plaza.
13. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
(a) Captain Quillen.
(b) Couch Quinery.
(c) Quentin Conch.
14. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
15. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She is disappointed in the quality.
(b) She decides it is too expensive.
(c) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(d) She gives it as a gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
2. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
3. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
4. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
5. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)