|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
2. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
(a) Studious librarian.
(c) Distinguished professor.
(d) Broadway panhandler.
3. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
(a) Buckingham Street.
(b) Wimpole Street.
(c) Berkeley Street.
(d) Westminster Street.
4. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
(a) Bring back childhood memories.
(b) The bosses enjoyed immensely.
(c) Remind him of a trip to America.
(d) Can only be found on the black market.
5. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) January 1950.
(b) December 1949.
(c) November 1949.
(d) March 1950.
6. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
(b) Chocolate candy.
(d) Raisins and eggs.
7. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
8. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
(a) A library in an English estate.
(b) The garbage.
(c) A museum.
(d) The Library of Congress.
9. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(a) Rare first editions.
10. How long does it take Helene to get a reply from Marks & Co. to her first letter?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Six months.
11. What does Helene do for a living?
(d) Shop girl.
12. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
(a) West 42nd Street.
(b) Charing Cross Road.
(c) East 95th Street.
13. Helene is afraid the Easter Bunny will find that Frank has died of ____________.
14. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Penguin's Path.
(b) The Complete works of Q.
(c) The Parish Guild.
(d) The Pilgrim's Way.
15. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Presbyterian cousins.
(b) Catholic sister-in-law.
(c) Methodist sister-in-law.
(d) Baptist mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
2. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
3. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
4. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
5. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)