|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
(a) Mr. Cohen.
(b) Mr. Marks.
(c) The rest of the staff.
2. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
(c) Sam Pepys'.
(d) Anne Frank's.
3. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(c) Rare first editions.
4. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(b) Keats or Shelley.
(c) Wyatt or Jonson.
(d) Dickenson or Frost.
5. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(a) Times Square.
(b) 17th Street.
(c) Rockefeller Plaza.
6. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) November 1949.
(b) December 1949.
(c) March 1950.
(d) January 1950.
7. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Frank Doel.
(c) Ben Marks.
(d) Megan Wells.
8. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
(a) Charing Cross Road.
(c) West 42nd Street.
(d) East 95th Street.
9. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For sending the wrong books.
(b) For not having love poems.
(c) For using poor grammar.
(d) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
10. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
(a) Six months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Seven months.
(d) Five months.
11. What does Helene do for a living?
(a) Shop girl.
12. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) 42nd Street.
(b) Rockefeller Plaza.
(c) Times Square.
(d) 17th Street.
13. How long does it take Helene to get a reply from Marks & Co. to her first letter?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
14. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
(a) Vulgate Latin Bible.
(b) Pepys' Diary.
(c) Oxford Book of English Verse.
(d) Newman's Idea of a University.
15. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Parish Guild.
(b) The Complete works of Q.
(c) The Penguin's Path.
(d) The Pilgrim's Way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
2. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
3. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
4. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
5. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)