|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
(a) Bring back childhood memories.
(b) The bosses enjoyed immensely.
(c) Remind him of a trip to America.
(d) Can only be found on the black market.
2. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
(a) Newman's Idea of a University.
(b) Oxford Book of English Verse.
(c) Pepys' Diary.
(d) Vulgate Latin Bible.
3. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(d) Rare first editions.
4. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
(a) In the RAF.
(b) In a wheelchair.
(c) In prison.
(d) In France.
5. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
(b) Chocolate candy.
(c) Raisins and eggs.
6. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How vulgar they are.
(b) How badly they treat Jews.
(c) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
(d) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
7. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Sends them to an artist.
(c) Refurbishes them.
(d) Uses them for packing material.
8. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
(a) Rare collectors' editions.
(c) Out-of-print books.
(d) Latest edition bestsellers.
9. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Imaginary Conversations.
(c) Aesop's Tales.
(d) Greek Myths.
10. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Megan Wells.
(b) Her parents.
(c) Frank Doel.
(d) Ben Marks.
11. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The incorrect billing amount.
(b) The Latin Bible.
(c) The poor condition of the books.
(d) The long silence between letters.
12. How long does it take Helene to get a reply from Marks & Co. to her first letter?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Six months.
13. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) November 1949.
(b) March 1950.
(c) January 1950.
(d) December 1949.
14. Helene is afraid the Easter Bunny will find that Frank has died of ____________.
15. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
(b) Two ounces per week.
(c) One chicken per month.
(d) Three ounces per week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
2. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
3. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
4. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
5. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)