|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(d) Rare first editions.
2. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
(a) A poor teacher.
(b) A wealthy heiress.
(c) A poor writer.
(d) A bored housewife.
3. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
(a) West 42nd Street.
(b) Charing Cross Road.
(c) East 95th Street.
4. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
(a) Uses them for packing material.
(b) Sends them to an artist.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Refurbishes them.
5. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from history books.
(b) One from old war movies.
(c) One from English literature.
(d) One found in the letters.
6. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Saturday Review of Literature.
(b) Barnes & Noble.
(c) Bookpress Monthly.
(d) The New York Times.
7. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She gives it as a gift.
(b) She decides it is too expensive.
(c) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(d) She is disappointed in the quality.
8. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(a) With highest regard.
(d) Yours faithfully.
9. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The long silence between letters.
(b) The incorrect billing amount.
(c) The poor condition of the books.
(d) The Latin Bible.
10. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Frank Doel.
(b) Megan Wells.
(c) Ben Marks.
(d) Her parents.
11. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
(a) Latest edition bestsellers.
(b) Out-of-print books.
(d) Rare collectors' editions.
12. What does Helene do for a living?
(b) Shop girl.
13. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Times Square.
(d) Rockefeller Plaza.
14. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
15. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
(a) Quentin Conch.
(b) Couch Quinery.
(c) Captain Quillen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
2. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
3. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
4. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
5. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)