|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Catholic sister-in-law.
(b) Methodist sister-in-law.
(c) Baptist mother.
(d) Presbyterian cousins.
2. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
3. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
(a) In France.
(b) In prison.
(c) In the RAF.
(d) In a wheelchair.
4. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
(a) Raisins and eggs.
(c) Chocolate candy.
5. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Sends them to an artist.
(c) Uses them for packing material.
(d) Refurbishes them.
6. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
(a) Imaginary Conversations.
(b) Greek Myths.
(c) Aesop's Tales.
(d) Alice in Wonderland.
7. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
(a) Wimpole Street.
(b) Westminster Street.
(c) Buckingham Street.
(d) Berkeley Street.
8. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) One chicken per month.
(b) Three ounces per week.
(c) Two ounces per week.
(d) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
9. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
(b) Sam Pepys'.
(d) Anne Frank's.
10. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
11. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
(c) None is correct.
12. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For sending the wrong books.
(b) For using poor grammar.
(c) For not having love poems.
(d) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
13. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Wyatt or Jonson.
(b) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(c) Dickenson or Frost.
(d) Keats or Shelley.
14. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
(a) Hebrew Bible.
(b) Greek New Testament.
(c) Latin Bible.
(d) Latin New Testament.
15. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Megan Wells.
(c) Ben Marks.
(d) Frank Doel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
2. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
3. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
4. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
5. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)