|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A two-story boarding house.
(b) A fifty-story high-rise.
(c) A five-room house.
(d) A five-story brownstone.
2. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
(a) Expensive antiques.
(b) Antiquarian booksellers.
(c) Rare and special.
(d) Aquarian booksellers.
3. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Frank Doel.
(b) Ben Marks.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Megan Wells.
4. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(a) Rare first editions.
5. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from history books.
(b) One from old war movies.
(c) One from English literature.
(d) One found in the letters.
6. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The incorrect billing amount.
(b) The poor condition of the books.
(c) The Latin Bible.
(d) The long silence between letters.
7. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
(a) Stiff cardboardy covers.
(b) Expensive wrapping.
(c) Dead-white pages.
(d) Soft vellum and heavy cream-colored pages.
8. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
(a) In a wheelchair.
(b) In the RAF.
(c) In France.
(d) In prison.
9. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
(a) Credit card.
(b) Postal money order.
(c) Personal check.
10. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Presbyterian cousins.
(b) Baptist mother.
(c) Catholic sister-in-law.
(d) Methodist sister-in-law.
11. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Complete works of Q.
(b) The Penguin's Path.
(c) The Parish Guild.
(d) The Pilgrim's Way.
12. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her British neighbor.
(b) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
(c) Her British niece.
(d) Her niece's boyfriend.
13. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
(a) Sweaters and scarves.
(b) A six pound ham.
(c) A dozen eggs.
(d) Six steaks.
14. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Wyatt or Jonson.
(b) Keats or Shelley.
(c) Dickenson or Frost.
(d) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
15. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) November 1949.
(b) January 1950.
(c) December 1949.
(d) March 1950.
Short Answer Questions
1. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
2. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
3. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
4. What does Helene do for a living?
5. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)