|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) March 1950.
(b) December 1949.
(c) November 1949.
(d) January 1950.
2. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Times Square.
(c) Rockefeller Center.
3. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) One chicken per month.
(b) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
(c) Three ounces per week.
(d) Two ounces per week.
4. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(c) Rare first editions.
5. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
6. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
(a) Greek New Testament.
(b) Latin Bible.
(c) Hebrew Bible.
(d) Latin New Testament.
7. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
(a) East 95th Street.
(b) Charing Cross Road.
(d) West 42nd Street.
8. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
(a) October, 1949.
(b) September, 1950.
(c) June, 1950.
(d) May, 1949.
9. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
(a) Studious librarian.
(b) Broadway panhandler.
(c) Distinguished professor.
10. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
(a) Young and sophisticated.
(d) Very stylish.
11. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
12. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) The library is often cold.
(b) Her store is rarely heated.
(c) Her classroom is drafty.
(d) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
13. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
14. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
(a) Five months.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Eight months.
15. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
(a) Hazlitt essays.
(b) Selected Essays of Stevenson.
(c) Leigh Hunt essays.
(d) Virginibus Puerisque.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
2. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
3. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
4. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
5. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)