|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Catholic sister-in-law.
(b) Methodist sister-in-law.
(c) Presbyterian cousins.
(d) Baptist mother.
2. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
(a) Expensive wrapping.
(b) Soft vellum and heavy cream-colored pages.
(c) Dead-white pages.
(d) Stiff cardboardy covers.
3. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
4. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The incorrect billing amount.
(b) The Latin Bible.
(c) The long silence between letters.
(d) The poor condition of the books.
5. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
(a) The garbage.
(b) A library in an English estate.
(c) The Library of Congress.
(d) A museum.
6. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How vulgar they are.
(b) How badly they treat Jews.
(c) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
(d) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
7. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her British neighbor.
(b) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
(c) Her British niece.
(d) Her niece's boyfriend.
8. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
(a) Mental instability.
(b) Odd taste in literature.
(c) A mean streak.
(d) A wonderful sense of humor.
9. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She is disappointed in the quality.
(b) She decides it is too expensive.
(c) She gives it as a gift.
(d) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
10. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
(a) The bosses enjoyed immensely.
(b) Remind him of a trip to America.
(c) Bring back childhood memories.
(d) Can only be found on the black market.
11. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
(b) Out-of-print books.
(c) Latest edition bestsellers.
(d) Rare collectors' editions.
12. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) December 1949.
(b) January 1950.
(c) November 1949.
(d) March 1950.
13. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
(c) Raisins and eggs.
(d) Chocolate candy.
14. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(a) Rare first editions.
15. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(a) With highest regard.
(b) Yours faithfully.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
2. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
3. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
4. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
5. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)