|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
2. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
(a) Uses them for packing material.
(b) Sends them to an artist.
(c) Refurbishes them.
(d) Burns them.
3. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Parish Guild.
(b) The Pilgrim's Way.
(c) The Complete works of Q.
(d) The Penguin's Path.
4. How long does it take Helene to get a reply from Marks & Co. to her first letter?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three weeks.
5. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
(b) For using poor grammar.
(c) For sending the wrong books.
(d) For not having love poems.
6. What does Helene do for a living?
(b) Shop girl.
7. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She decides it is too expensive.
(b) She gives it as a gift.
(c) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(d) She is disappointed in the quality.
8. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
(a) Vulgate Latin Bible.
(b) Pepys' Diary.
(c) Newman's Idea of a University.
(d) Oxford Book of English Verse.
9. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
(a) A library in an English estate.
(b) The garbage.
(c) The Library of Congress.
(d) A museum.
10. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How badly they treat Jews.
(b) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
(c) How vulgar they are.
(d) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
11. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from English literature.
(b) One from history books.
(c) One from old war movies.
(d) One found in the letters.
12. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
(a) Soft vellum and heavy cream-colored pages.
(b) Expensive wrapping.
(c) Dead-white pages.
(d) Stiff cardboardy covers.
13. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
14. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
(a) Captain Quillen.
(b) Couch Quinery.
(d) Quentin Conch.
15. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) One chicken per month.
(b) Three ounces per week.
(c) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
(d) Two ounces per week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
2. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
3. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
4. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
5. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)