|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(b) With highest regard.
(c) Yours faithfully.
2. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
(b) 17th Street.
(c) Times Square.
(d) Rockefeller Center.
3. How long does it take Helene to get a reply from Marks & Co. to her first letter?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
4. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Dickenson or Frost.
(b) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(c) Wyatt or Jonson.
(d) Keats or Shelley.
5. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Penguin's Path.
(b) The Pilgrim's Way.
(c) The Complete works of Q.
(d) The Parish Guild.
6. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Barnes & Noble.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Bookpress Monthly.
(d) Saturday Review of Literature.
7. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(c) An older gentleman.
(d) Quite nice looking.
8. Helene is afraid the Easter Bunny will find that Frank has died of ____________.
9. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
(a) Latin New Testament.
(b) Latin Bible.
(c) Hebrew Bible.
(d) Greek New Testament.
10. What does Helene do for a living?
(c) Shop girl.
11. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from English literature.
(b) One found in the letters.
(c) One from old war movies.
(d) One from history books.
12. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
(a) Distinguished professor.
(b) Studious librarian.
(d) Broadway panhandler.
13. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Rockefeller Plaza.
(c) Times Square.
(d) 42nd Street.
14. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
(b) Credit card.
(c) Personal check.
(d) Postal money order.
15. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
2. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
3. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
4. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
5. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)