|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
(a) The Library of Congress.
(b) The garbage.
(c) A museum.
(d) A library in an English estate.
2. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
(a) Can only be found on the black market.
(b) Remind him of a trip to America.
(c) Bring back childhood memories.
(d) The bosses enjoyed immensely.
3. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For not having love poems.
(b) For sending the wrong books.
(c) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
(d) For using poor grammar.
4. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A two-story boarding house.
(b) A five-room house.
(c) A five-story brownstone.
(d) A fifty-story high-rise.
5. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Barnes & Noble.
(b) Saturday Review of Literature.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Bookpress Monthly.
6. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
7. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
(a) Aesop's Tales.
(b) Imaginary Conversations.
(c) Greek Myths.
(d) Alice in Wonderland.
8. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
9. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The poor condition of the books.
(b) The incorrect billing amount.
(c) The Latin Bible.
(d) The long silence between letters.
10. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(b) With highest regard.
(c) Yours faithfully.
11. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
(a) In a wheelchair.
(b) In France.
(c) In prison.
(d) In the RAF.
12. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
(a) None is correct.
13. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
(b) Anne Frank's.
(c) Sam Pepys'.
14. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
(a) Postal money order.
(b) Credit card.
(c) Personal check.
15. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
(a) Very stylish.
(b) Young and sophisticated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
2. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
3. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
4. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
5. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)