|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How badly they treat Jews.
(b) How vulgar they are.
(c) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
(d) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
2. Helene is afraid the Easter Bunny will find that Frank has died of ____________.
3. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
4. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
(b) The rest of the staff.
(c) Mr. Cohen.
(d) Mr. Marks.
5. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(a) An older gentleman.
(c) Quite nice looking.
6. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The Latin Bible.
(b) The incorrect billing amount.
(c) The long silence between letters.
(d) The poor condition of the books.
7. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
(a) Refurbishes them.
(b) Uses them for packing material.
(c) Sends them to an artist.
(d) Burns them.
8. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
(a) 17th Street.
(c) Times Square.
(d) Rockefeller Center.
9. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Saturday Review of Literature.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Bookpress Monthly.
(d) Barnes & Noble.
10. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
(a) Pepys' Diary.
(b) Oxford Book of English Verse.
(c) Newman's Idea of a University.
(d) Vulgate Latin Bible.
11. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(b) Yours faithfully.
(d) With highest regard.
12. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(a) Rare first editions.
13. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
14. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
(a) Captain Quillen.
(b) Quentin Conch.
(d) Couch Quinery.
15. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Presbyterian cousins.
(b) Baptist mother.
(c) Methodist sister-in-law.
(d) Catholic sister-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
2. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
3. How long does it take Helene to get a reply from Marks & Co. to her first letter?
4. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
5. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)