|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Barnes & Noble.
(b) Saturday Review of Literature.
(c) Bookpress Monthly.
(d) The New York Times.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Methodist sister-in-law.
(b) Catholic sister-in-law.
(c) Presbyterian cousins.
(d) Baptist mother.
3. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(b) Yours faithfully.
(c) With highest regard.
4. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
(a) Raisins and eggs.
(c) Chocolate candy.
5. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Rockefeller Center.
(d) Times Square.
6. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
(a) Aesop's Tales.
(b) Greek Myths.
(c) Alice in Wonderland.
(d) Imaginary Conversations.
7. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) Two ounces per week.
(b) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
(c) One chicken per month.
(d) Three ounces per week.
8. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(b) She decides it is too expensive.
(c) She gives it as a gift.
(d) She is disappointed in the quality.
9. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
10. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her British neighbor.
(b) Her British niece.
(c) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
(d) Her niece's boyfriend.
11. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
(b) Young and sophisticated.
(c) Very stylish.
12. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
(a) Refurbishes them.
(b) Sends them to an artist.
(c) Uses them for packing material.
(d) Burns them.
13. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
(a) Hazlitt essays.
(b) Virginibus Puerisque.
(c) Leigh Hunt essays.
(d) Selected Essays of Stevenson.
14. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
(a) Personal check.
(b) Postal money order.
(d) Credit card.
15. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(b) Times Square.
(c) Rockefeller Plaza.
(d) 17th Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
2. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
3. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
4. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
5. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)