|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her British niece.
(b) Her niece's boyfriend.
(c) Her British neighbor.
(d) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
2. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) Rockefeller Plaza.
(b) 42nd Street.
(c) 17th Street.
(d) Times Square.
3. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
4. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The poor condition of the books.
(b) The long silence between letters.
(c) The incorrect billing amount.
(d) The Latin Bible.
5. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
(b) Three ounces per week.
(c) One chicken per month.
(d) Two ounces per week.
6. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
(a) Odd taste in literature.
(b) Mental instability.
(c) A mean streak.
(d) A wonderful sense of humor.
7. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
(b) Mr. Cohen.
(c) The rest of the staff.
(d) Mr. Marks.
8. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
(a) A poor teacher.
(b) A bored housewife.
(c) A wealthy heiress.
(d) A poor writer.
9. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
(a) Vulgate Latin Bible.
(b) Oxford Book of English Verse.
(c) Pepys' Diary.
(d) Newman's Idea of a University.
10. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(a) With highest regard.
(b) Yours faithfully.
11. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
(a) May, 1949.
(b) September, 1950.
(c) October, 1949.
(d) June, 1950.
12. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
(b) Her classroom is drafty.
(c) The library is often cold.
(d) Her store is rarely heated.
13. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How vulgar they are.
(b) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
(c) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
(d) How badly they treat Jews.
14. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
(a) Westminster Street.
(b) Wimpole Street.
(c) Buckingham Street.
(d) Berkeley Street.
15. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Frank Doel.
(c) Megan Wells.
(d) Ben Marks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
2. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
3. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
4. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
5. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)