|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
(b) Two ounces per week.
(c) One chicken per month.
(d) Three ounces per week.
2. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
(b) Raisins and eggs.
(c) Chocolate candy.
3. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
(a) Odd taste in literature.
(b) A wonderful sense of humor.
(c) Mental instability.
(d) A mean streak.
4. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
(a) A six pound ham.
(b) A dozen eggs.
(c) Sweaters and scarves.
(d) Six steaks.
5. What anthology does Helene request Frank send her in late 1950?
6. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) Her classroom is drafty.
(b) The library is often cold.
(c) Her store is rarely heated.
(d) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
7. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from history books.
(b) One from old war movies.
(c) One from English literature.
(d) One found in the letters.
8. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Rockefeller Plaza.
(c) Times Square.
(d) 42nd Street.
9. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) January 1950.
(b) December 1949.
(c) March 1950.
(d) November 1949.
10. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
(a) Broadway panhandler.
(c) Distinguished professor.
(d) Studious librarian.
11. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
(a) Mr. Cohen.
(b) The rest of the staff.
(c) Mr. Marks.
12. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
(a) Vulgate Latin Bible.
(b) Oxford Book of English Verse.
(c) Newman's Idea of a University.
(d) Pepys' Diary.
13. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
14. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How badly they treat Jews.
(b) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
(c) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
(d) How vulgar they are.
15. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
Short Answer Questions
1. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
2. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
3. What type of place does Helene live in?
4. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
5. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)