|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
(a) Mr. Marks.
(b) Mr. Cohen.
(c) The rest of the staff.
2. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
(a) Selected Essays of Stevenson.
(b) Leigh Hunt essays.
(c) Hazlitt essays.
(d) Virginibus Puerisque.
3. Why does Helene fear her library card will be revoked?
(a) For writing in the library books.
(b) For being too demanding of the librarians.
(c) For not returning books on time.
(d) For not checking books out.
4. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
(a) Rare and special.
(b) Aquarian booksellers.
(c) Antiquarian booksellers.
(d) Expensive antiques.
5. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
(a) Six steaks.
(b) A dozen eggs.
(c) A six pound ham.
(d) Sweaters and scarves.
6. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(a) Yours faithfully.
(c) With highest regard.
7. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Penguin's Path.
(b) The Complete works of Q.
(c) The Parish Guild.
(d) The Pilgrim's Way.
8. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
9. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A five-room house.
(b) A two-story boarding house.
(c) A five-story brownstone.
(d) A fifty-story high-rise.
10. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) Rockefeller Plaza.
(b) 17th Street.
(c) 42nd Street.
(d) Times Square.
11. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
(b) Studious librarian.
(c) Distinguished professor.
(d) Broadway panhandler.
12. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The Latin Bible.
(b) The poor condition of the books.
(c) The incorrect billing amount.
(d) The long silence between letters.
13. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
14. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) Her store is rarely heated.
(b) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
(c) Her classroom is drafty.
(d) The library is often cold.
15. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
2. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
3. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
4. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
5. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)