|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(a) Times Square.
(b) Rockefeller Plaza.
(d) 17th Street.
2. What does Helene do for a living?
(d) Shop girl.
3. Helene is afraid the Easter Bunny will find that Frank has died of ____________.
4. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
(a) Seven months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Five months.
5. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(a) With highest regard.
(c) Yours faithfully.
6. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The poor condition of the books.
(b) The Latin Bible.
(c) The long silence between letters.
(d) The incorrect billing amount.
7. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
8. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from old war movies.
(b) One found in the letters.
(c) One from English literature.
(d) One from history books.
9. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her British niece.
(b) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
(c) Her niece's boyfriend.
(d) Her British neighbor.
10. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Megan Wells.
(b) Ben Marks.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Frank Doel.
11. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
(d) None is correct.
12. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
(a) Mental instability.
(b) A wonderful sense of humor.
(c) A mean streak.
(d) Odd taste in literature.
13. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
14. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Aesop's Tales.
(c) Imaginary Conversations.
(d) Greek Myths.
15. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(b) Rare first editions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
3. Why does Helene fear her library card will be revoked?
4. What did Cecily's children enjoy most from Helene's Easter package?
5. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)