Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
(a) The bosses enjoyed immensely.
(b) Can only be found on the black market.
(c) Remind him of a trip to America.
(d) Bring back childhood memories.
2. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
(a) A wonderful sense of humor.
(b) A mean streak.
(c) Mental instability.
(d) Odd taste in literature.
3. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(a) Quite nice looking.
(d) An older gentleman.
4. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Keats or Shelley.
(b) Wyatt or Jonson.
(c) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(d) Dickenson or Frost.
5. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She gives it as a gift.
(b) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(c) She is disappointed in the quality.
(d) She decides it is too expensive.
6. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
(a) Imaginary Conversations.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) Greek Myths.
(d) Aesop's Tales.
7. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Megan Wells.
(b) Ben Marks.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Frank Doel.
8. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) 42nd Street.
(b) 17th Street.
(c) Times Square.
(d) Rockefeller Plaza.
9. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
(b) The rest of the staff.
(c) Mr. Cohen.
(d) Mr. Marks.
10. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Pilgrim's Way.
(b) The Complete works of Q.
(c) The Penguin's Path.
(d) The Parish Guild.
11. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
(a) Dead-white pages.
(b) Expensive wrapping.
(c) Soft vellum and heavy cream-colored pages.
(d) Stiff cardboardy covers.
12. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For sending the wrong books.
(b) For using poor grammar.
(c) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
(d) For not having love poems.
13. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A two-story boarding house.
(b) A fifty-story high-rise.
(c) A five-story brownstone.
(d) A five-room house.
14. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
15. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
(a) Captain Quillen.
(b) Quentin Conch.
(d) Couch Quinery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
2. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
3. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
4. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
5. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)