|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
(a) West 42nd Street.
(b) Charing Cross Road.
(c) East 95th Street.
2. Which of the following in NOT one of the bibles Marks & Co. offered Helene in place of the Bible she requested?
(a) Latin New Testament.
(b) Hebrew Bible.
(c) Latin Bible.
(d) Greek New Testament.
3. What does Helene do for a living?
(d) Shop girl.
4. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
(a) Virginibus Puerisque.
(b) Selected Essays of Stevenson.
(c) Leigh Hunt essays.
(d) Hazlitt essays.
5. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
(c) Rare first editions.
6. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
7. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Keats or Shelley.
(b) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(c) Wyatt or Jonson.
(d) Dickenson or Frost.
8. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
(a) Expensive antiques.
(b) Antiquarian booksellers.
(c) Rare and special.
(d) Aquarian booksellers.
9. Where does Helene think the first edition Frank sent her in 1950 belongs?
(a) The garbage.
(b) A museum.
(c) The Library of Congress.
(d) A library in an English estate.
10. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
(b) Captain Quillen.
(c) Quentin Conch.
(d) Couch Quinery.
11. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) March 1950.
(b) November 1949.
(c) December 1949.
(d) January 1950.
12. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
(a) Sends them to an artist.
(b) Refurbishes them.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Uses them for packing material.
13. What is the complete name of the anthology Helene requests Frank send her in late 1950?
(a) The Parish Guild.
(b) The Penguin's Path.
(c) The Pilgrim's Way.
(d) The Complete works of Q.
14. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
(a) The poor condition of the books.
(b) The incorrect billing amount.
(c) The Latin Bible.
(d) The long silence between letters.
15. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(a) Times Square.
(b) 17th Street.
(c) Rockefeller Plaza.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
2. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
3. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
4. After receiving the Bibles, what book does Helene request next from Marks & Co.?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)