|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
(a) Two ounces per week.
(b) Two 4 ounce steaks per month.
(c) One chicken per month.
(d) Three ounces per week.
2. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A five-room house.
(b) A five-story brownstone.
(c) A two-story boarding house.
(d) A fifty-story high-rise.
3. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How vulgar they are.
(b) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
(c) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
(d) How badly they treat Jews.
4. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
(a) Expensive wrapping.
(b) Stiff cardboardy covers.
(c) Soft vellum and heavy cream-colored pages.
(d) Dead-white pages.
5. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from old war movies.
(b) One from English literature.
(c) One from history books.
(d) One found in the letters.
6. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Methodist sister-in-law.
(b) Presbyterian cousins.
(c) Baptist mother.
(d) Catholic sister-in-law.
7. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
(c) None is correct.
8. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(b) An older gentleman.
(c) Quite nice looking.
9. What does Cecily imagine Helene to look like?
(c) Young and sophisticated.
(d) Very stylish.
10. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
(b) Her store is rarely heated.
(c) Her classroom is drafty.
(d) The library is often cold.
11. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
(a) In France.
(b) In a wheelchair.
(c) In prison.
(d) In the RAF.
12. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
(a) A six pound ham.
(b) Sweaters and scarves.
(c) A dozen eggs.
(d) Six steaks.
13. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
(a) A poor teacher.
(b) A bored housewife.
(c) A wealthy heiress.
(d) A poor writer.
14. What does Helene do for a living?
(b) Shop girl.
15. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(b) Yours faithfully.
(d) With highest regard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of books does Helene's friend Brian buy for a living?
2. What was the name of the professor who first got Helene interested in books?
3. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
4. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
5. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)