|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A fifty-story high-rise.
(b) A five-room house.
(c) A five-story brownstone.
(d) A two-story boarding house.
2. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Barnes & Noble.
(b) Bookpress Monthly.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) Saturday Review of Literature.
3. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
(a) A dozen eggs.
(b) Six steaks.
(c) A six pound ham.
(d) Sweaters and scarves.
4. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Dickenson or Frost.
(b) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(c) Keats or Shelley.
(d) Wyatt or Jonson.
5. Why does Helene fear her library card will be revoked?
(a) For being too demanding of the librarians.
(b) For not checking books out.
(c) For not returning books on time.
(d) For writing in the library books.
6. How long does it take Helene to get a reply from Marks & Co. to her first letter?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Three months.
7. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
(a) A bored housewife.
(b) A poor teacher.
(c) A poor writer.
(d) A wealthy heiress.
8. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
(b) None is correct.
9. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
10. Whose diary does Helene request Frank send her to help her through the long winter evenings?
(c) Anne Frank's.
(d) Sam Pepys'.
11. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
12. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
(a) Six months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Seven months.
(d) Eight months.
13. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Presbyterian cousins.
(b) Methodist sister-in-law.
(c) Baptist mother.
(d) Catholic sister-in-law.
14. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
(a) Dead-white pages.
(b) Soft vellum and heavy cream-colored pages.
(c) Stiff cardboardy covers.
(d) Expensive wrapping.
15. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She decides it is too expensive.
(b) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(c) She gives it as a gift.
(d) She is disappointed in the quality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
2. What does Helene do for a living?
3. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
4. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
5. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)