|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) The library is often cold.
(b) Her classroom is drafty.
(c) Her store is rarely heated.
(d) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
2. What is the long length of time that passes between letters from Marks & Co. in 1950?
(a) Seven months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Eight months.
3. Cecily sends Helene photos that show her husband is what?
(a) In a wheelchair.
(b) In the RAF.
(c) In prison.
(d) In France.
4. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For sending the wrong books.
(b) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
(c) For using poor grammar.
(d) For not having love poems.
5. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
(b) Personal check.
(c) Postal money order.
(d) Credit card.
6. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
7. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
(a) Antiquarian booksellers.
(b) Rare and special.
(c) Expensive antiques.
(d) Aquarian booksellers.
8. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
9. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Bookpress Monthly.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Saturday Review of Literature.
(d) Barnes & Noble.
10. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) November 1949.
(b) January 1950.
(c) March 1950.
(d) December 1949.
11. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A fifty-story high-rise.
(b) A five-room house.
(c) A two-story boarding house.
(d) A five-story brownstone.
12. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(b) Keats or Shelley.
(c) Wyatt or Jonson.
(d) Dickenson or Frost.
13. Why does Helene fear her library card will be revoked?
(a) For being too demanding of the librarians.
(b) For not returning books on time.
(c) For not checking books out.
(d) For writing in the library books.
14. Helene says that from where she sits, London is a lot closer than _____________.
(a) Times Square.
(b) 17th Street.
(d) Rockefeller Plaza.
15. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
(a) One from history books.
(b) One found in the letters.
(c) One from old war movies.
(d) One from English literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
3. What does Helene do for a living?
4. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
5. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)