|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
2. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Keats or Shelley.
(b) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(c) Dickenson or Frost.
(d) Wyatt or Jonson.
3. How does Helene feel about the first edition that Frank sends in 1950?
4. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
(a) Antiquarian booksellers.
(b) Rare and special.
(c) Expensive antiques.
(d) Aquarian booksellers.
5. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Ben Marks.
(c) Frank Doel.
(d) Megan Wells.
6. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
(a) Hazlitt essays.
(b) Selected Essays of Stevenson.
(c) Leigh Hunt essays.
(d) Virginibus Puerisque.
7. Cecily's first letter to Helene describes Frank as being ___________.
(b) An older gentleman.
(d) Quite nice looking.
8. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A five-story brownstone.
(b) A fifty-story high-rise.
(c) A two-story boarding house.
(d) A five-room house.
9. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
(b) Her British niece.
(c) Her British neighbor.
(d) Her niece's boyfriend.
10. How does Frank sign off in most his letters to Helene?
(a) Yours faithfully.
(d) With highest regard.
11. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
12. What street does Helene live on in New York City?
(a) Charing Cross Road.
(b) East 95th Street.
(c) West 42nd Street.
13. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She gives it as a gift.
(b) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(c) She decides it is too expensive.
(d) She is disappointed in the quality.
14. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
(a) Wimpole Street.
(b) Berkeley Street.
(c) Westminster Street.
(d) Buckingham Street.
15. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
(a) Postal money order.
(b) Personal check.
(c) Credit card.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
2. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
3. What does Helene do for a living?
4. What does Marks & Co. specialize in?
5. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)