|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her niece's boyfriend.
(b) Her British niece.
(c) Her British neighbor.
(d) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
2. Who does Cecily tell Helene that she is going on vacation with?
(a) Megan Wells.
(b) Frank Doel.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Ben Marks.
3. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
(a) Broadway panhandler.
(c) Studious librarian.
(d) Distinguished professor.
4. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) The library is often cold.
(b) Her classroom is drafty.
(c) Her store is rarely heated.
(d) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
5. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
(a) Credit card.
(c) Personal check.
(d) Postal money order.
6. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
(a) January 1950.
(b) November 1949.
(c) December 1949.
(d) March 1950.
7. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For not having love poems.
(b) For using poor grammar.
(c) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
(d) For sending the wrong books.
8. What term does Helene hope doesn't mean the same thing in England as it does in America?
(a) None is correct.
9. Cecily Farr asks Helene to keep her letter a secret from whom?
(a) Mr. Cohen.
(c) The rest of the staff.
(d) Mr. Marks.
10. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
(a) A bored housewife.
(b) A wealthy heiress.
(c) A poor teacher.
(d) A poor writer.
11. Helene specifically says she does not want any love poems from whom?
(a) Wyatt or Jonson.
(b) Shakespeare or Wadsworth.
(c) Keats or Shelley.
(d) Dickenson or Frost.
12. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
13. How is the first letter Helene receives from Marks & Co. signed?
14. What does Helene send in her Christmas package to Marks & Co?
(a) Sweaters and scarves.
(b) A six pound ham.
(c) Six steaks.
(d) A dozen eggs.
15. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
(a) 17th Street.
(b) Times Square.
(c) Rockefeller Center.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of England does Helene dream of finding?
2. What does Marks & Co. apologize to Helene for in the November 26, 1949 letter?
3. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
4. What type of place does Helene live in?
5. What part of the first books that Helene receives from Marks & co. is she afraid to handle?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)