|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters, 1949 - 1950.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Helene see the ad for Marks & Co., prompting her to write them?
(a) Bookpress Monthly.
(b) Saturday Review of Literature.
(c) Barnes & Noble.
(d) The New York Times.
2. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) Her store is rarely heated.
(b) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
(c) The library is often cold.
(d) Her classroom is drafty.
3. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
(a) Her neighbor's boyfriend.
(b) Her British neighbor.
(c) Her niece's boyfriend.
(d) Her British niece.
4. What type of place does Helene live in?
(a) A two-story boarding house.
(b) A five-room house.
(c) A five-story brownstone.
(d) A fifty-story high-rise.
5. What does Frank do with books that have no covers?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Sends them to an artist.
(c) Uses them for packing material.
(d) Refurbishes them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
2. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
3. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
4. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
5. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)