|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters, 1949 - 1950.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
(a) Can only be found on the black market.
(b) Remind him of a trip to America.
(c) The bosses enjoyed immensely.
(d) Bring back childhood memories.
2. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
3. Helene describes herself to Cecily as being about as smart looking as a________________.
(a) Distinguished professor.
(b) Studious librarian.
(c) Broadway panhandler.
4. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
(a) Aquarian booksellers.
(b) Expensive antiques.
(c) Rare and special.
(d) Antiquarian booksellers.
5. Why does Helene's October 15, 1950 letter to Frank chastise him?
(a) For sending the wrong books.
(b) For not having love poems.
(c) For using crumpled book pages as packing material.
(d) For using poor grammar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Helene translate British pounds into American dollars?
2. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
3. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
4. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
5. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)