|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters, 1949 - 1950.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What street in London does Helene tell Cecily she is longing to walk down?
(a) Wimpole Street.
(b) Westminster Street.
(c) Buckingham Street.
(d) Berkeley Street.
2. What does Helene do when she received the first edition from Frank in 1950?
(a) She decides it is too expensive.
(b) She is disappointed in the quality.
(c) She leaves it out on a table to look at all day.
(d) She gives it as a gift.
3. What does Helene joke that the proprietors of Marks & Co. should inform the Church of England about?
(a) How many Christian relatives Helene has.
(b) How vulgar they are.
(c) How badly they treat Jews.
(d) How badly they translated the Latin Bible.
4. Cecily invites Helene to stay with her parents where?
5. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
(a) Vulgate Latin Bible.
(b) Oxford Book of English Verse.
(c) Newman's Idea of a University.
(d) Pepys' Diary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cecily's letter says that Mr. Martin thinks Helene has _____________.
2. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
3. How much is the first edition book Frank offers to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
4. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
5. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)