|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters, 1949 - 1950.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
(b) The library is often cold.
(c) Her classroom is drafty.
(d) Her store is rarely heated.
2. What essays did Marks & Co. tell Helene would be difficult to find in her first letter from the booksellers?
(a) Leigh Hunt essays.
(b) Virginibus Puerisque.
(c) Hazlitt essays.
(d) Selected Essays of Stevenson.
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the Christian relatives Helene describes when explaining her views on the Latin Bible?
(a) Catholic sister-in-law.
(b) Methodist sister-in-law.
(c) Baptist mother.
(d) Presbyterian cousins.
4. In what form would Marks & Co. prefer to receive payment from Helene?
(a) Postal money order.
(b) Credit card.
(d) Personal check.
5. Where did Helene's friend Brian go to get a money order to send to London?
(a) Times Square.
(b) 17th Street.
(c) Rockefeller Plaza.
(d) 42nd Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Frank sign his first letter to Helene with his full name instead of initials?
2. What phrase from the Marks & Co.'s advertisement scares Helene?
3. How many eggs per month are Londoners rationed per person in 1949?
4. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
5. What month and year does Helene start her correspondence with Marks & Co.?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)