|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters, 1949 - 1950.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helene spend her days wearing sweaters and wool slacks?
(a) The landlord turns the heat off during the day.
(b) The library is often cold.
(c) Her classroom is drafty.
(d) Her store is rarely heated.
2. What does Helene do for a living?
(a) Shop girl.
3. What first edition book does Frank offer to send Helene in the fall of 1950?
(a) Pepys' Diary.
(b) Oxford Book of English Verse.
(c) Newman's Idea of a University.
(d) Vulgate Latin Bible.
4. Where does the professor teach who first got Helene interested in good literature?
5. What year is the Volume II of the Works and Life of Sir Walter Savage Landor that is sent to Helene published?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much meat does Helene discover the Londoners are rationed per family in 1949?
2. Frank thanks Helene for her Christmas package and assures her that the items are things that ________________.
3. Who does Helene say she is in her first letter to Marks & Co.?
4. Where would Helene have to shop for books in New York City if she didn't have Marks & Co. sending them to her door?
5. How much is Helene willing to spend on each book from Marks & Co.?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)