|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Boxer's rank on the police force?
2. How many women are interviewed with the hope they know Michelle?
3. Where does Boxer go after she leaves the site of the explosion?
4. Which person or group disagrees with Lindsay about the connection to the murders in San Francisco?
5. Which of the following groups is involved in the upcoming event?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Boxer analyzes the scene, what is her conclusion about the murder?
2. Where does the next murder take place? Who goes to investigate?
3. Why does Claire call Boxer to the morgue? What has been learned about Bengosian?
4. Who does Boxer interview regarding Michelle's whereabouts? Who gives Boxer an address?
5. How does the reader get the impression that Boxer works far too many hours in her job?
6. What is Malcolm doing at the time? How does it affect Michelle?
7. In Chapter 42 Boxer meets a major player in the investigation. Who is it? What is the character's role?
8. Boxer decides that she needs help on the investigation. Who does Boxer call in to help? What is the first step?
9. What is unusual about the dosage of poison given to the victim?
10. Chapter 37 begins with Cindy receiving an email at the newspaper. Who is the email from and what does it say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story talks a lot about radicals. What are radicals? Who are they? Why are the radicals referred to as "weathermen" by Molinari? Is there a special meaning to the name August Spies? Is there any relation between the radicals and the KGB? Explain. Also explain the history of the KGB in Russia and America. Has the presence of the KGB and/or radicals changed since the end of the Cold War? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ricin poisoning is used throughout the story. What is Ricin? How is it obtained? How does one use Ricin to poison someone? Is there an antidote? What are the symptoms of and treatments for Ricin poisoning? How does Claire know the poison used is rRcin? Does the type of poison give any clues to the case? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
As a detective and a lieutenant, Boxer is in an unusual position. She ranks above her old partner, Jacobi, and must command respect of the other homicide detectives in the squad without alienating anyone. Explain how Lindsay is able to juggle the duties and the working relationships with the men. Examine Boxer's rank and authority regarding Jacobi, Cappy, and Traccio. Do the men respect and cooperate with Boxer? Explain.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)