|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scares Jill enough to make her hide in the office?
2. Who calls Molinari during his dinner with Boxer?
3. In which state is this major metropolitan city?
4. Who at X/L finally relents?
5. What is the setting for the opening of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boxer do immediately after leaving X/L? What is the result?
2. What information does Boxer receive when she returns to the police station? Who delivers the news?
3. How does Boxer respond when the townhouse she is admiring explodes?
4. What happens when Cindy receives the email? What does she do?
5. What information does Boxer receive when she meets with the Berkley cops?
6. Chapter 37 begins with Cindy receiving an email at the newspaper. Who is the email from and what does it say?
7. What is the importance of the Lightowers' nanny at this point? Why is it important to locate her?
8. How does the reader get the impression that Boxer works far too many hours in her job?
9. What is Malcolm doing at the time? How does it affect Michelle?
10. What is the setting used in the beginning of the book? What time frame is used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Boxer learns about Jill's disappearance, she feels guilty. Why? Is Lindsay responsible for the disappearance? Is there a way Lindsay could have prevented it? Explain. What do you think really happened? Could there have been some way to prevent Jill's death? Why was Jill killed? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
As a detective and a lieutenant, Boxer is in an unusual position. She ranks above her old partner, Jacobi, and must command respect of the other homicide detectives in the squad without alienating anyone. Explain how Lindsay is able to juggle the duties and the working relationships with the men. Examine Boxer's rank and authority regarding Jacobi, Cappy, and Traccio. Do the men respect and cooperate with Boxer? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Cindy is a part of the Women's Murder Club and also a friend to Lindsay, Claire, and Jill. Cindy is also a reporter. How does Cindy separate her friendships and work? Is it possible that one does not interfere with the other? What might happen if Cindy prints news before Boxer wants it to be released to the public? Could the work interfere with Boxer's work as well as the relationship? How would you handle the situation? Do you think the friendship will survive? Explain.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)