|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the hotel man's first name?
2. To which location is the email sent?
3. What is the name of the friend with Boxer?
4. Which character agrees with Boxer on her estimation of the situation thus far?
5. What is the signature on the email?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boxer find it necessary to be wary of overtures of friendship made by Cindy?
2. What is the importance of the Lightowers' nanny at this point? Why is it important to locate her?
3. What information does Boxer receive when she meets with the Berkley cops?
4. What information does Boxer receive when she returns to the police station? Who delivers the news?
5. Chapter 41 focuses on which character? What is surprising about the character's trip to the SFPD?
6. Cindy makes a discovery at Berkley regarding a suspicious character. Who is it? What does Boxer think of the man?
7. Boxer decides that she needs help on the investigation. Who does Boxer call in to help? What is the first step?
8. When Boxer analyzes the scene, what is her conclusion about the murder?
9. What is the gist of the call received by Boxer? What does the caller want Boxer to know?
10. Discuss the introduction of Claire. What is her relationship to Boxer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ricin poisoning is used throughout the story. What is Ricin? How is it obtained? How does one use Ricin to poison someone? Is there an antidote? What are the symptoms of and treatments for Ricin poisoning? How does Claire know the poison used is rRcin? Does the type of poison give any clues to the case? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Boxer is a homicide detective that also bears the rank of lieutenant. Explain why it might be improper for the other detectives, like Jacobi and Cappy, to tease Boxer about her personal life. What is the hierarchy of the department of homicide detectives? What type of punishment might be given for insubordination? Why isn't Boxer offended by the remarks?
Essay Topic 3
While showering away the grime from the fire, Boxer thinks about re-entering the dating world. What is the root of Boxer's hesitation? What might cause Boxer to avoid dating? Is it difficult for someone to date a person that works in law enforcement? Why? What do you think happened to Boxer's last relationship? Was there anyone to blame? Explain.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)