|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe Molinari works for which federal agency?
2. Who has contact with people at Berkley?
3. What is the name of Lightower's somewhat questionable business?
4. How many days are left before the event takes place?
5. What is the first name of the protagonist, Detective Boxer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boxer respond when the townhouse she is admiring explodes?
2. Discuss Boxer's visit to Jill's office. What is Jill's mood? Why?
3. What is the gist of the call received by Boxer? What does the caller want Boxer to know?
4. Cindy makes a discovery at Berkley regarding a suspicious character. Who is it? What does Boxer think of the man?
5. What is Malcolm doing at the time? How does it affect Michelle?
6. Where does the next murder take place? Who goes to investigate?
7. Who observes the explosion from afar? What is the person's interest in the disaster? Why is the person pleased?
8. What is unusual about the dosage of poison given to the victim?
9. What is the main topic discussed when the Women's Murder Club gets together for dinner? What is the resolution to the problem?
10. Boxer decides that she needs help on the investigation. Who does Boxer call in to help? What is the first step?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boxer is a homicide detective that also bears the rank of lieutenant. Explain why it might be improper for the other detectives, like Jacobi and Cappy, to tease Boxer about her personal life. What is the hierarchy of the department of homicide detectives? What type of punishment might be given for insubordination? Why isn't Boxer offended by the remarks?
Essay Topic 2
Although there is great personal risk in entering a burning building, Lindsay Boxer operates on instinct at the Lightower home. Explain the difference between instinct and training, particularly as it relates to police work. What might have happened if Lindsay had not been at the scene? What might have happened if Lindsay had waited for emergency services to arrive? What possible danger did Lindsay face by going into the building unprepared?
Essay Topic 3
When Boxer learns about Jill's disappearance, she feels guilty. Why? Is Lindsay responsible for the disappearance? Is there a way Lindsay could have prevented it? Explain. What do you think really happened? Could there have been some way to prevent Jill's death? Why was Jill killed? Explain.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)