|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first name of the protagonist, Detective Boxer?
2. What information does Jill disclose to the other women at dinner?
3. How many days are left before the event takes place?
4. What is the cause of death for this particular victim?
5. What was the friend doing when the news came?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who observes the explosion from afar? What is the person's interest in the disaster? Why is the person pleased?
2. Claire calls Lindsay and asks to meet. Where does Claire want to meet? What information does she have for Boxer?
3. In Chapter 42 Boxer meets a major player in the investigation. Who is it? What is the character's role?
4. Who does Boxer interview regarding Michelle's whereabouts? Who gives Boxer an address?
5. Chapter 41 focuses on which character? What is surprising about the character's trip to the SFPD?
6. Discuss Boxer's visit to Jill's office. What is Jill's mood? Why?
7. Boxer decides that she needs help on the investigation. Who does Boxer call in to help? What is the first step?
8. What is unusual about the dosage of poison given to the victim?
9. When Boxer analyzes the scene, what is her conclusion about the murder?
10. What is the gist of the call received by Boxer? What does the caller want Boxer to know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
August Spies contacted Cindy on several occasions. Why? Why would the organization contact a reporter rather than trying to get straight to Boxer? Do you think it was a ploy to get press coverage from the media? Explain. How did Boxer feel about the contact? Could Boxer forbid Cindy to talk to the killers? Could Boxer prevent Cindy from using any of the information in newspaper articles? What might happen if Cindy used the information from August Spies without Boxer's permission?
Essay Topic 2
Jill is having difficulty with her overbearing husband and often hides out at the office so she does not have to go home. Discuss Jill's situation. Is it surprising that someone like Jill can be the victim of domestic abuse? Explain. What would you do in Jill's shoes? How does Lindsay react to the husband's behavior? Do you think Lindsay was out of line when she talked to the man? What would you do in that situation? What was the husband's reaction? Do you think he would have changed his behavior if Jill had lived? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
While showering away the grime from the fire, Boxer thinks about re-entering the dating world. What is the root of Boxer's hesitation? What might cause Boxer to avoid dating? Is it difficult for someone to date a person that works in law enforcement? Why? What do you think happened to Boxer's last relationship? Was there anyone to blame? Explain.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)