|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scares Jill enough to make her hide in the office?
2. What is Boxer's rank on the police force?
3. In which state is this major metropolitan city?
4. What problem is there between Jill and the other person(s)?
5. Where did the confrontation take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the gist of the call received by Boxer? What does the caller want Boxer to know?
2. What is the main topic discussed when the Women's Murder Club gets together for dinner? What is the resolution to the problem?
3. When Boxer analyzes the scene, what is her conclusion about the murder?
4. How does the reader get the impression that Boxer works far too many hours in her job?
5. Lindsay decides to take Jill's problem into her own hands. How does she do it?
6. Discuss Boxer's visit to Jill's office. What is Jill's mood? Why?
7. What is the setting used in the beginning of the book? What time frame is used?
8. Where does the next murder take place? Who goes to investigate?
9. Chapter 37 begins with Cindy receiving an email at the newspaper. Who is the email from and what does it say?
10. Who observes the explosion from afar? What is the person's interest in the disaster? Why is the person pleased?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cindy gives Boxer information about Berkley. What is Cindy's connection to Berkley? Who is Professor Lemouz? How does Cindy know the professor? Why is Lemouz a good person to interview? What is Boxer's opinion of Lemouz? Is the opinion correct? What is Lemouz's role in the story? How important is Lemouz in regards to the killings? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
August Spies contacted Cindy on several occasions. Why? Why would the organization contact a reporter rather than trying to get straight to Boxer? Do you think it was a ploy to get press coverage from the media? Explain. How did Boxer feel about the contact? Could Boxer forbid Cindy to talk to the killers? Could Boxer prevent Cindy from using any of the information in newspaper articles? What might happen if Cindy used the information from August Spies without Boxer's permission?
Essay Topic 3
Boxer is a homicide detective that also bears the rank of lieutenant. Explain why it might be improper for the other detectives, like Jacobi and Cappy, to tease Boxer about her personal life. What is the hierarchy of the department of homicide detectives? What type of punishment might be given for insubordination? Why isn't Boxer offended by the remarks?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)