|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tomie's mother respond to what happens to the house after the city moves something out?
(a) She jumps for joy.
(b) She cries.
(c) She says bad words.
(d) She throws a party.
2. What causes Tomie to do something strange while seeing his first Disney movie?
(a) His mother's lullaby is like the music in the movie.
(b) He gets scared.
(c) Someone says something mean to him.
(d) It does not follow the book.
3. How does Tomie mark time as a child?
(a) By school years.
(b) By holidays.
(c) By the completion of the house.
(d) By movies.
4. Why are people sent home early from school at the beginning of the book?
(a) There is a holiday.
(b) The principal gets sick.
(c) The storm is coming.
(d) The power goes out.
5. What has to be taken out of the backyard?
6. What does Tomie say studs are for?
(b) Blue prints.
(c) Horse breeding.
(d) Strength training.
7. Why can't Tomie see his room when the walls are finished?
(a) The plaster is not dry.
(b) It is too dark.
(c) There are no windows.
(d) There are no stairs.
8. What strange thing does Tomie do while seeing his first Disney movie?
(a) Sings with the music.
(b) Runs out screaming.
(d) Yells at the screen.
9. Who calms Tomie down when he gets upset when the walls are finished?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His father.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His mother.
10. What is placed over Tomie's new cellar?
(b) Metal beams.
(d) Tree limbs.
11. Why does Tomie say he will never forget the year that this book starts out?
(a) The war started.
(b) His father died.
(c) He started school.
(d) There was a hurricane.
12. What is Tomie's favorite thing to do in his spare time?
(a) Watch TV.
(b) Go to movies.
(c) Take walks.
(d) Read books.
13. Where does Tomie see his first Disney movie?
(a) The Capital Theater.
(b) The shool cafeteria.
(c) The Neighborhood park.
(d) The Red Door Theater.
14. What ethnicity is Tomie's family on his mother's side?
15. How does Tomie feel about the natural disaster that happens at the beginning of the book?
(a) He is amazed.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is scared.
(d) He is ambivalent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the title of the book refer to?
2. What is Tomie reminded of during the natural disaster at the beginning of the book?
3. What does the cellar covering create?
4. What is Tomie supposed to call all his grandmothers?
5. What does Tomie think saved his new house during the natural disaster?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)