|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tomie describe Mae West?
2. How does Tomie mark time as a child?
(a) By movies.
(b) By school years.
(c) By holidays.
(d) By the completion of the house.
3. Why are people sent home early from school at the beginning of the book?
(a) The storm is coming.
(b) The principal gets sick.
(c) There is a holiday.
(d) The power goes out.
4. What does the cellar covering create?
(a) The house floor.
(c) The foundation.
(d) Sturdy walking space.
5. How does Tomie signify his grandmothers?
(a) By their last name.
(b) By their first name.
(c) By their places of birth.
(d) By where they live.
6. How many people live with Tomie at the beginning of the book?
7. What is Tomie reminded of during the natural disaster at the beginning of the book?
(a) The Wizard of Oz.
(b) Gone with the Wind.
(c) A book he read.
(d) A painting he saw.
8. How many grandmothers does Tomie have?
9. What does the city move out in Chapter 4?
10. What is Tomie's father building?
(a) A farm.
(b) A house.
(c) A playground.
(d) A monument.
11. Why does something have to be added to the house when the city takes something out?
(a) To get it up to code.
(b) To keep the yard from falling.
(c) To match it to the street level.
(d) To make it safer.
12. What kind of dwelling does Tomie live in at the beginning of the book?
(a) A hotel.
(b) An apartment.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A house.
13. What ethnicity is Tomie's extended family on his father's side?
(b) Puerto Rican.
14. What is Carol's last name?
15. What does Tomie's mother do to everyone?
(a) Sprinkles holy water on them.
(b) Pinches their cheeks.
(c) Sings songs to them.
(d) Prays over them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tomie's last name?
2. What does Tomie say studs are for?
3. What causes Tomie to do something strange while seeing his first Disney movie?
4. What makes Tomie mad when the walls are finished?
5. What has to be taken out of the backyard?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)