|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. McDill find out that his wife is hiding?
2. Which character receives the phone call and permission to release the child?
3. Who turns out to be the kidnapper's third partner?
4. What does Hickey hit Karen on the head with?
5. Karen is able to talk to who while Will continues to talk to the cell phone provider?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Joe Hickey's, Huey Cotton's, and Cheryl Lynn Tilly's typical kidnapping scheme, as described in Chapter 1.
2. In Chapter 5, how does Hickey display some common sense and compassion when it comes Abby?
3. Karen holds Hickey at gunpoint in Chapter 3. How does Hickey convince her that it is in her best interest to let him go?
4. Why is Margaret McDill convinced that she and her son Peter will surely be murdered, in Chapter 1?
5. Describe Cheryl's past, as depicted in Chapter 6.
6. During Chapter 9, Dr. and Mrs. McDill talk with Special Agent Chalmers about what?
7. In Chapter 7, why does Karen cooperate with Hickey's demands of having sex with him?
8. Describe how Huey Cotton is depicted in Chapter 1.
9. In Chapter 5, what makes the decision for Dr. and Mrs. McDill to go to the FBI so difficult?
10. What type of meeting is Will the keynote speaker at, as described in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Will and Karen Jennings's relationship as it is first depicted in the book as compared to the relationship which Karen and Will seem to have formed by the end of the kidnapping. Support your answer with at least three specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the changes and development of Cheryl Lynn Tilly's character throughout the book. Discuss her personality, her past, and how she became essential to Will's plan to rescue Abby.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Karen and Abby seem to have gained control over the situation with Huey and Hickey. Abby finds Huey's cell phone and is able to contact Karen, and Karen is able to be forceful enough over Hickey to get him to do what he asks. However, this soon changes. Describe in detail what happens to both Abby and Karen to make them lose this power.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)