|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karen try to do to distract Hickey once they return from the cabin to keep him from forcing himself on her?
2. Karen is the chairperson of what organization?
3. Who does Karen successfully explain to Stephanie Morgan that the kidnapper is?
4. What disease does Abby have?
5. Who does the kidnapper allow Karen to call after she cares for Abby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Margaret McDill convinced that she and her son Peter will surely be murdered, in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 5, how does the reader learn that Hickey's compassion is really non-existent?
3. Describe how Abby's health makes the kidnapping different from the others, as described in Chapter 4.
4. In Chapter 8, how does Karen take control over Hickey with the use of a scalpel?
5. Explain the relationship between Will and Karen Jennings, as described in Chapter 2.
6. Explain the events of Hickey's kidnapping of Abby in Chapter 2.
7. In Chapter 5, what makes the decision for Dr. and Mrs. McDill to go to the FBI so difficult?
8. During Chapter 9, Dr. and Mrs. McDill talk with Special Agent Chalmers about what?
9. Describe how Huey Cotton is depicted in Chapter 1.
10. What danger comes about for Abby when the McDill's go to the FBI about their son's kidnapping in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Will and Karen Jennings's relationship as it is first depicted in the book as compared to the relationship which Karen and Will seem to have formed by the end of the kidnapping. Support your answer with at least three specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why it took so long for the McDills to contact the FBI about their son's kidnapping. Give specific examples from the story why they were hesitant.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the term external conflict means and how external conflict was important to the book.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)