|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dr.Floyd suggest as a name for the water on Haley's comet?
2. Close to the vents in Europa's tropical zone was home to what?
3. When they landed on Europa who did Dr Heywood attempt to contact?
4. In Dr. Floyd's dream against whom was he defending himself?
5. What is Dr. Heywood Floyd's new nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lives on Europa close to the vents in the tropical region?
2. How did Van der Berg explain diamond formation to Floyd?
3. What was the order that Captain Laplace received from Head Office?
4. What was the encouraging words from the Universe?
5. With what creatures in the sea did the Galaxy come in contact?
6. After the rescue, how did Rolf van der Berg fair professionally and financially?
7. Define perturbation theory.
8. Describe the surface of the Mount Zeus .
9. Who becomes the three guardians, and what is the monolith's role?
10. What was Second Officer Jolson's idea about getting to the Galaxy faster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Floyd and his grandson, Chris, obviously care for each other although there are not many scenes of them together in the story.
Part 1) Compare what is known about Dr. Floyd's character to what is known about Chris Floyd's character.
Part 2) Is it clear that they share family traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Although this book was written in 1987, what subjects did C. Clark touch on that are current issues today? If he wrote the book today what changes would be made if any? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) How far fetched does the thought that the center of the planet's moons are made of diamonds?
Part 2) What would have been a more believable explanation?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)