|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the morale of the Galaxy to become euphoric?
2. What did they see while traveling by the Great Wall?
3. About what two subjects does Dr. Floyd prefer not to discuss?
4. What was Captain Laplace's main problem as the ship drifted on the Europan sea?
5. What is sinking on the surface of Europa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to have caused Dr. Floyd's restless dreams?
2. What was the request Floyd and Van der Berg placed to the captain?
3. Define perturbation theory.
4. Who becomes the three guardians, and what is the monolith's role?
5. How did Yva Merlin spent her exiled time on the Universe?
6. Despite Captain Smith's misgivings, who requests that they go along with Jolson's plan?
7. Describe the sea monster that ate Rosie's body.
8. What message did Van der Berg send to Earth?
9. What lives on Europa close to the vents in the tropical region?
10. What would finding a diamond mountain do for the diamond market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many famous guests aboard the Universe.
Part 1) Describe the different characters aboard the Universe.
Part 2) What famous people would be on the Universe if it were to fly today?
Part 3) Which famous character from the book could you best be described as and why?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Floyd and his grandson, Chris, are seemingly two of the more important characters in the book.
Part 1) How would the story been different if there had been no Dr. Floyd?
Part 2) How would the story have been different if Dr. Floyd had been with Chris aboard the Galaxy rather than on the Universe?
Essay Topic 3
When stranded on Europa many of the scientists become excited at the thought of being able to explore.
Part 1) What would have been your realistic reaction knowing that a rescue might not come in time to save you?
Part 2) Why does the author chose not to focus heavily on the conditions the scientists encounter while on the planet past the fact that the things from different worlds are poisonous to each other?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)