|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of Ross' paper in 1981?
2. At the beginning of the rescue mission, the Universe could be seen by whom?
3. How long did Floyd and Van der Berg expect to be stranded on the Bill Tee?
4. Old Faithful filled the fuel tanks with what?
5. What did Chang want to do on the mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the surface of the Mount Zeus .
2. Define perturbation theory.
3. What signs of life did Van der Berg observe on the Europan surface?
4. After the rescue, how did Rolf van der Berg fair professionally and financially?
5. What was the order that Captain Laplace received from Head Office?
6. The Galaxy eventually ends up where?
7. What does Floyd and Van der Berg discuss about Floyd's illusion?
8. What message did Van der Berg send to Earth?
9. Despite Captain Smith's misgivings, who requests that they go along with Jolson's plan?
10. What was the request Floyd and Van der Berg placed to the captain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two main captains in the story are Captain Smith and Captain Laplace.
Part 1) What about these two characters is the same?
Part 2) What about these characters is different?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Speculate on why the author chooses not to reveal the intelligent creatures on Europa.
Part 2) Is it possible that these creatures communicate with the monolith and its trinity? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Why isn't there more information found on the Shaka group?
Part 2) How would the story have been different if there had been more information imparted to the reader about this organization?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)