|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of Ross' paper in 1981?
2. What process could remove the colloidal carbons and other compounds from the fuel?
3. Close to the vents in Europa's tropical zone was home to what?
4. What did the officer on watch observe one morning in this chapter?
5. Of what is Mount Zeus made?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who becomes the three guardians, and what is the monolith's role?
2. What was Second Officer Jolson's idea about getting to the Galaxy faster?
3. What was the order that Captain Laplace received from Head Office?
4. What was the encouraging words from the Universe?
5. What time-honored tradition was upheld daily on the Universe at 1800 every evening?
6. How much time did refueling on Haley's comet save the Universe?
7. As the Bill Tee flies over the monolith, describe what the occupants see?
8. Despite Captain Smith's misgivings, who requests that they go along with Jolson's plan?
9. What seems to have caused Dr. Floyd's restless dreams?
10. In the year 3010, what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Floyd and his grandson, Chris, obviously care for each other although there are not many scenes of them together in the story.
Part 1) Compare what is known about Dr. Floyd's character to what is known about Chris Floyd's character.
Part 2) Is it clear that they share family traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
When stranded on Europa many of the scientists become excited at the thought of being able to explore.
Part 1) What would have been your realistic reaction knowing that a rescue might not come in time to save you?
Part 2) Why does the author chose not to focus heavily on the conditions the scientists encounter while on the planet past the fact that the things from different worlds are poisonous to each other?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what is known about Rose, the hijacker.
Part 1) What is known about Rose considering the efficiency with which she gets Galaxy?
Part 2) Speculate on why Rose commits suicide rather than be interrogated. What does this explain to the reader about the Shaka organization.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)