|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What process could remove the colloidal carbons and other compounds from the fuel?
2. What did van der Berg's message to Earth mean?
3. Head Office stated to Captain Laplace, who could not go on the Mount Zeus mission?
4. Who was the navigational officer on the Universe?
5. With whom did Chris Floyd get into contact while awaiting rescue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the request Floyd and Van der Berg placed to the captain?
2. Who does the group on the Universe think sent the warning to stay off of Europa?
3. What message did Van der Berg send to Earth?
4. Why was Captain Laplace not concerned with morale of the crew upon landing?
5. What was the encouraging words from the Universe?
6. With what creatures in the sea did the Galaxy come in contact?
7. What time-honored tradition was upheld daily on the Universe at 1800 every evening?
8. How did Van der Berg explain diamond formation to Floyd?
9. What signs of life did Van der Berg observe on the Europan surface?
10. George and Jerry discovered what about Shaka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Speculate on how the story would have been different for the members of the Galaxy if Rose's body had not been seen being vomited up by the shark-like creature.
Part 2) Considering it was scientists on the Universe would they have been able to figure this information out other ways? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
When stranded on Europa many of the scientists become excited at the thought of being able to explore.
Part 1) What would have been your realistic reaction knowing that a rescue might not come in time to save you?
Part 2) Why does the author chose not to focus heavily on the conditions the scientists encounter while on the planet past the fact that the things from different worlds are poisonous to each other?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what is known about Rose, the hijacker.
Part 1) What is known about Rose considering the efficiency with which she gets Galaxy?
Part 2) Speculate on why Rose commits suicide rather than be interrogated. What does this explain to the reader about the Shaka organization.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)