|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only living man to have witnessed the birth of a new sun and solar system?
2. What did Floyd do while at the Great Wall?
3. Who was the navigational officer on the Universe?
4. What did refueling on Haley do for the Universe's flight plan?
5. Who flew the shuttle on the Mount Zeus mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what was Captain Smith's interview?
2. Who becomes the three guardians, and what is the monolith's role?
3. What seems to have caused Dr. Floyd's restless dreams?
4. As the Bill Tee flies over the monolith, describe what the occupants see?
5. Why was Captain Laplace not concerned with morale of the crew upon landing?
6. How did Yva Merlin spent her exiled time on the Universe?
7. How did Van der Berg explain diamond formation to Floyd?
8. Who does the group on the Universe think sent the warning to stay off of Europa?
9. What lives on Europa close to the vents in the tropical region?
10. About what was Victor Willis' video piece that Paul Kreuger had?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what is known about Rose, the hijacker.
Part 1) What is known about Rose considering the efficiency with which she gets Galaxy?
Part 2) Speculate on why Rose commits suicide rather than be interrogated. What does this explain to the reader about the Shaka organization.
Essay Topic 2
When stranded on Europa many of the scientists become excited at the thought of being able to explore.
Part 1) What would have been your realistic reaction knowing that a rescue might not come in time to save you?
Part 2) Why does the author chose not to focus heavily on the conditions the scientists encounter while on the planet past the fact that the things from different worlds are poisonous to each other?
Essay Topic 3
The two main captains in the story are Captain Smith and Captain Laplace.
Part 1) What about these two characters is the same?
Part 2) What about these characters is different?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)