|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of Ross' paper in 1981?
2. What did van der Berg's message to Earth mean?
3. Who did Dr. Floyd ask to research Shaka?
4. What is Dr. Heywood Floyd's new nickname?
5. Why was Van der Berg so apprehensive about Chris Floyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the encouraging words from the Universe?
2. Describe the surface of the Mount Zeus .
3. As the Bill Tee flies over the monolith, describe what the occupants see?
4. What was the order that Captain Laplace received from Head Office?
5. What does Floyd and Van der Berg discuss about Floyd's illusion?
6. What message did Van der Berg send to Earth?
7. In the year 3010, what happens?
8. What lives on Europa close to the vents in the tropical region?
9. How did Van der Berg explain diamond formation to Floyd?
10. Why was Captain Laplace not concerned with morale of the crew upon landing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you had been a character in the book which ship would you have rather been on? Explain your answer. What are the differences between the ships? What was the author trying to indicate by these differences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what is known about Rose, the hijacker.
Part 1) What is known about Rose considering the efficiency with which she gets Galaxy?
Part 2) Speculate on why Rose commits suicide rather than be interrogated. What does this explain to the reader about the Shaka organization.
Essay Topic 3
The two main captains in the story are Captain Smith and Captain Laplace.
Part 1) What about these two characters is the same?
Part 2) What about these characters is different?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)