|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important element in South Africa's economy?
2. Who was the only person who knew if the Galaxy has enough propellant to make stable orbit?
3. Who would be chartering the reconnaissance mission granted by the Planetary Science Foundation?
4. What is the name of the spaceship Dr Floyd will use on his voyage to Haley's Comet?
5. What is Lucifer? nebulae
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Van der Berg contact Dr.Paul Kreuger and why?
2. What was the last message from the Discovery?
3. Where did Dr Floyd fantasize about visiting?
4. Van der Berg contacts an astrophysicist by the name of Dr Wilkins for what purpose?
5. Where did the Galaxy team of scientists launch their first penetometer?
6. Second Officer Chris Floyd seeks out whom in this chapter to discuss the events?
7. Upon approaching Europa, Mr Chang does what?
8. Describe the Valley of Black Snow on Haley's Comet.
9. Why was the Universe's tour cut short and called back to Earth?
10. What preparations does Dr. Floyd make before joining the journey to Haley's Comet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the book are unable to return to Earth.
Part 1) Speculate on how it would feel to be more or less exiled from your home.
Part 2) Would you choose to live on a different planet away from your family if it would extend your life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what is known about the monolith.
Part 1) Is there any indication that the monolith had Dr. Floyd's consciousness before it spoke with Chris?
Part 2) Why is Dr. Floyd's consciousness in the monolith crucial to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Describe what is known about Shaka.
Part 2) If the group exists why does it seemingly refuse to take public responsibilities for its actions like many of the current terrorist groups?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)