|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Dr.Heywood Floyd?
2. Who fainted after the bridge doors opened?
3. What color was Haley Comet's surface?
4. While continuing to study Ganymeade, what else does Van der Berg continue to study?
5. Who kept his stateroom tidy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sir Lawrence Tsung's fleet of spaceships.
2. Describe the Valley of Black Snow on Haley's Comet.
3. Van der Berg contacts an astrophysicist by the name of Dr Wilkins for what purpose?
4. When Captain Laplace realizes they are turning in space, what does he do?
5. Second Officer Chris Floyd seeks out whom in this chapter to discuss the events?
6. What happened at Sunrise on Europa to convince Van der Berg of possible worth to the planet?
7. What message did Van der Berg send to Earth?
8. After the rescue, how did Rolf van der Berg fair professionally and financially?
9. Who becomes the three guardians, and what is the monolith's role?
10. What was the accident that transformed Dr Heywood's aging process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Second Commander Chang's role in the story.
Part 1) How would the story have changed if it had been the captain in the control room when Rose took over rather than Chang?
Part 2) Is it possible Rose intended to catch Chang in the control room rather than the captain? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the book are unable to return to Earth.
Part 1) Speculate on how it would feel to be more or less exiled from your home.
Part 2) Would you choose to live on a different planet away from your family if it would extend your life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When stranded on Europa many of the scientists become excited at the thought of being able to explore.
Part 1) What would have been your realistic reaction knowing that a rescue might not come in time to save you?
Part 2) Why does the author chose not to focus heavily on the conditions the scientists encounter while on the planet past the fact that the things from different worlds are poisonous to each other?
This section contains 1,581 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)