Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On day five what surprise did Captain Smith reveal to the passengers of the Universe?
2. What color was Haley Comet's surface?
3. Captain Smith had few objections to what activity for the passengers?
4. Where did Dr. Floyd help Chris get a job?
5. What did Van der Berg accuse Mr.Floyd of being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Second Officer Jolson's idea about getting to the Galaxy faster?
2. About what was Captain Smith's interview?
3. Despite Captain Smith's misgivings, who requests that they go along with Jolson's plan?
4. What are the layers that Dr. Chant observes as he is spelunking through Haley's comet?
5. The Galaxy eventually ends up where?
6. Van der Berg contacts an astrophysicist by the name of Dr Wilkins for what purpose?
7. Second Officer Chang on his night watch had what conversation with the steward?
8. What signs of life did Van der Berg observe on the Europan surface?
9. Where did the Galaxy finally land?
10. What was the Universe's schedule upon approaching Europa?
Essay Topic 1
Describe what is known about the monolith.
Part 1) Is there any indication that the monolith had Dr. Floyd's consciousness before it spoke with Chris?
Part 2) Why is Dr. Floyd's consciousness in the monolith crucial to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Floyd and his grandson, Chris, are seemingly two of the more important characters in the book.
Part 1) How would the story been different if there had been no Dr. Floyd?
Part 2) How would the story have been different if Dr. Floyd had been with Chris aboard the Galaxy rather than on the Universe?
Essay Topic 3
When stranded on Europa many of the scientists become excited at the thought of being able to explore.
Part 1) What would have been your realistic reaction knowing that a rescue might not come in time to save you?
Part 2) Why does the author chose not to focus heavily on the conditions the scientists encounter while on the planet past the fact that the things from different worlds are poisonous to each other?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)