|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what was Shaka named?
2. Where did the crew of the spaceship Tsien sojourn?
3. Dr Floyd on the spaceship Leonov describe Europa as being what color?
4. Why are cave-ins impossible on the comet's surface?
5. How much money did Bund invest in Tsung Aerospace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at Sunrise on Europa to convince Van der Berg of possible worth to the planet?
2. Why does Captain Smith ban the tourists from visiting Tuonela Lake?
3. Describe what Captain Smith observed upon Haley's surface.
4. Where did Dr Floyd fantasize about visiting?
5. Describe Sir Lawrence Tsung's fleet of spaceships.
6. Why was the Universe's tour cut short and called back to Earth?
7. What preparations does Dr. Floyd make before joining the journey to Haley's Comet?
8. What is Shaka?
9. Describe the South African Revolution and the effect that it has?
10. What are the layers that Dr. Chant observes as he is spelunking through Haley's comet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Floyd and his grandson, Chris, are seemingly two of the more important characters in the book.
Part 1) How would the story been different if there had been no Dr. Floyd?
Part 2) How would the story have been different if Dr. Floyd had been with Chris aboard the Galaxy rather than on the Universe?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) There are many different moments of foreshadowing in the story. Choose one that you feel is the biggest moment of foreshadowing to write about.
Part 2) List a moment that could have been foreshadowing but wasn't and explain to what it could have logically pointed.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the book are unable to return to Earth.
Part 1) Speculate on how it would feel to be more or less exiled from your home.
Part 2) Would you choose to live on a different planet away from your family if it would extend your life? Explain.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)