|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ASTROPOL and the USSA would not admit that what did not exist?
2. What warning was sent back from the spaceship Discovery?
3. Why are cave-ins impossible on the comet's surface?
4. With full thrust carrying the ship to the orbit of Europa, why was moving around in the ship hard?
5. In order to go to the comet's surface what did Victor Willis have to do ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Second Officer Chris Floyd seeks out whom in this chapter to discuss the events?
2. Where did the Galaxy finally land?
3. What happened at Sunrise on Europa to convince Van der Berg of possible worth to the planet?
4. How is Rolf van der Berg described when he is first introduced?
5. Describe what Captain Smith observed upon Haley's surface.
6. What are some of the things that Dr. Floyd marvels about on the Universe?
7. What are the layers that Dr. Chant observes as he is spelunking through Haley's comet?
8. Describe Europa's appearance.
9. What was the accident that transformed Dr Heywood's aging process?
10. When Captain Laplace realizes they are turning in space, what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When stranded on Europa many of the scientists become excited at the thought of being able to explore.
Part 1) What would have been your realistic reaction knowing that a rescue might not come in time to save you?
Part 2) Why does the author chose not to focus heavily on the conditions the scientists encounter while on the planet past the fact that the things from different worlds are poisonous to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Describe what is known about Shaka.
Part 2) If the group exists why does it seemingly refuse to take public responsibilities for its actions like many of the current terrorist groups?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what is known about Rose, the hijacker.
Part 1) What is known about Rose considering the efficiency with which she gets Galaxy?
Part 2) Speculate on why Rose commits suicide rather than be interrogated. What does this explain to the reader about the Shaka organization.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)