Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On day five what surprise did Captain Smith reveal to the passengers of the Universe?
2. What color was Haley Comet's surface?
3. Captain Smith had few objections to what activity for the passengers?
4. Where did Dr. Floyd help Chris get a job?
5. What did Van der Berg accuse Mr.Floyd of being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Second Officer Jolson's idea about getting to the Galaxy faster?
2. About what was Captain Smith's interview?
3. Despite Captain Smith's misgivings, who requests that they go along with Jolson's plan?
4. What are the layers that Dr. Chant observes as he is spelunking through Haley's comet?
5. The Galaxy eventually ends up where?
6. Van der Berg contacts an astrophysicist by the name of Dr Wilkins for what purpose?
7. Second Officer Chang on his night watch had what conversation with the steward?
8. What signs of life did Van der Berg observe on the Europan surface?
9. Where did the Galaxy finally land?
10. What was the Universe's schedule upon approaching Europa?
Essay Topic 1
Describe what is known about Rose, the hijacker.
Part 1) What is known about Rose considering the efficiency with which she gets Galaxy?
Part 2) Speculate on why Rose commits suicide rather than be interrogated. What does this explain to the reader about the Shaka organization.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what is known about the monolith.
Part 1) Is there any indication that the monolith had Dr. Floyd's consciousness before it spoke with Chris?
Part 2) Why is Dr. Floyd's consciousness in the monolith crucial to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Describe Dr. van der Berg's intentions when he first learns there may be a diamond under Mount Zeus.
Part 2) Why does he try so hard to keep it a secret?
Part 3) What would have been the reaction if van der Berg had announced that the diamond was there?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)