|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Lady Jasmine?
2. On day five what surprise did Captain Smith reveal to the passengers of the Universe?
3. About what did Maggie M'Bala complain?
4. What did Van der Berg accuse Mr.Floyd of being?
5. What was Rolf van der Berg's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Valley of Black Snow on Haley's Comet.
2. What was the last message from the Discovery?
3. While awaiting rendezvous with the comet, Mihailovich sees something, what is it?
4. When Captain Laplace realizes they are turning in space, what does he do?
5. Upon approaching Europa, Mr Chang does what?
6. What was the accident that transformed Dr Heywood's aging process?
7. What curious events does the captain recall after the hijacking of the Galaxy?
8. What are some of the things that Dr. Floyd marvels about on the Universe?
9. What preparations does Dr. Floyd make before joining the journey to Haley's Comet?
10. Describe the South African Revolution and the effect that it has?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Second Commander Chang's role in the story.
Part 1) How would the story have changed if it had been the captain in the control room when Rose took over rather than Chang?
Part 2) Is it possible Rose intended to catch Chang in the control room rather than the captain? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to write about:
Part 1) Galaxy lands and finds that this new world is an exact replica of old earth and the two ecosystems are completely compatible.
Part 2) The creatures on Europa, or the monolith, are hostile towards humans.
Part 3) The monolith had been damaged when the giant diamond landed on Europa.
Essay Topic 3
When stranded on Europa many of the scientists become excited at the thought of being able to explore.
Part 1) What would have been your realistic reaction knowing that a rescue might not come in time to save you?
Part 2) Why does the author chose not to focus heavily on the conditions the scientists encounter while on the planet past the fact that the things from different worlds are poisonous to each other?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)