|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr Floyd on the spaceship Leonov describe Europa as being what color?
2. With full thrust carrying the ship to the orbit of Europa, why was moving around in the ship hard?
3. With whom did Dr. Floyd make his first outing on the comet?
4. How long did it take for the penetrometer to reach Europa?
5. What is the most important element in South Africa's economy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the last message from the Discovery?
2. Describe what Captain Smith observed upon Haley's surface.
3. What curious events does the captain recall after the hijacking of the Galaxy?
4. On day five of the journey to Haley's Comet, the captain reveals what secret; describe the secret?
5. How does Van der Berg contact Dr.Paul Kreuger and why?
6. Where did Dr Floyd fantasize about visiting?
7. Upon approaching Europa, Mr Chang does what?
8. Where do the team of scientists on the Galaxy launch the second penetrometer?
9. What are the layers that Dr. Chant observes as he is spelunking through Haley's comet?
10. What preparations does Dr. Floyd make before joining the journey to Haley's Comet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) There are many different moments of foreshadowing in the story. Choose one that you feel is the biggest moment of foreshadowing to write about.
Part 2) List a moment that could have been foreshadowing but wasn't and explain to what it could have logically pointed.
Essay Topic 2
There are many famous guests aboard the Universe.
Part 1) Describe the different characters aboard the Universe.
Part 2) What famous people would be on the Universe if it were to fly today?
Part 3) Which famous character from the book could you best be described as and why?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Speculate on why the author chooses not to reveal the intelligent creatures on Europa.
Part 2) Is it possible that these creatures communicate with the monolith and its trinity? Explain.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)