|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On day five what surprise did Captain Smith reveal to the passengers of the Universe?
2. What color was Haley Comet's surface?
3. Captain Smith had few objections to what activity for the passengers?
4. Where did Dr. Floyd help Chris get a job?
5. What did Van der Berg accuse Mr.Floyd of being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Second Officer Jolson's idea about getting to the Galaxy faster?
2. About what was Captain Smith's interview?
3. Despite Captain Smith's misgivings, who requests that they go along with Jolson's plan?
4. What are the layers that Dr. Chant observes as he is spelunking through Haley's comet?
5. The Galaxy eventually ends up where?
6. Van der Berg contacts an astrophysicist by the name of Dr Wilkins for what purpose?
7. Second Officer Chang on his night watch had what conversation with the steward?
8. What signs of life did Van der Berg observe on the Europan surface?
9. Where did the Galaxy finally land?
10. What was the Universe's schedule upon approaching Europa?
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the book are unable to return to Earth.
Part 1) Speculate on how it would feel to be more or less exiled from your home.
Part 2) Would you choose to live on a different planet away from your family if it would extend your life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Floyd and his grandson, Chris, are seemingly two of the more important characters in the book.
Part 1) How would the story been different if there had been no Dr. Floyd?
Part 2) How would the story have been different if Dr. Floyd had been with Chris aboard the Galaxy rather than on the Universe?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Floyd and his grandson, Chris, obviously care for each other although there are not many scenes of them together in the story.
Part 1) Compare what is known about Dr. Floyd's character to what is known about Chris Floyd's character.
Part 2) Is it clear that they share family traits? Explain.
This section contains 1,648 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)