|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rolf van der Berg volunteered for what position on the chartered mission with Captain Eric Laplace?
2. Where did Dr. Floyd help Chris get a job?
3. Where is the next journey for Dr Heywood Floyd?
4. Who coined the phrase "Gravity is the bringer of old age"?
5. Uncle Paul searched for evidence and found it in what publication?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sir Lawrence Tsung's fleet of spaceships.
2. While awaiting rendezvous with the comet, Mihailovich sees something, what is it?
3. What was the accident that transformed Dr Heywood's aging process?
4. Where did the Galaxy finally land?
5. What curious events does the captain recall after the hijacking of the Galaxy?
6. What preparations does Dr. Floyd make before joining the journey to Haley's Comet?
7. Describe Europa's appearance.
8. Describe the Valley of Black Snow on Haley's Comet.
9. Why does Captain Smith ban the tourists from visiting Tuonela Lake?
10. Describe what Captain Smith observed upon Haley's surface.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Speculate on how the story would have been different for the members of the Galaxy if Rose's body had not been seen being vomited up by the shark-like creature.
Part 2) Considering it was scientists on the Universe would they have been able to figure this information out other ways? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The two main captains in the story are Captain Smith and Captain Laplace.
Part 1) What about these two characters is the same?
Part 2) What about these characters is different?
Essay Topic 3
The subject of space exploration has been of interest to people for many years.
Part 1) What about this book seemed obtainable for humans within the next 100 years or so? Explain.
Part 2) What about the book seems clearly unrealistic and pure fantasy? Explain.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)