|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company insured the chartered mission?
2. How many days did Europa revolve on its axis?
3. Who would be chartering the reconnaissance mission granted by the Planetary Science Foundation?
4. As Dr. Chant left the cavern, why was he asked to return to ship?
5. What is Old Faithful?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Captain Laplace realizes they are turning in space, what does he do?
2. What was the last message from the Discovery?
3. Why does Captain Smith ban the tourists from visiting Tuonela Lake?
4. How does Van der Berg contact Dr.Paul Kreuger and why?
5. Where do the team of scientists on the Galaxy launch the second penetrometer?
6. Second Officer Chang on his night watch had what conversation with the steward?
7. On day five of the journey to Haley's Comet, the captain reveals what secret; describe the secret?
8. How is Rolf van der Berg described when he is first introduced?
9. Describe Europa's appearance.
10. Upon approaching Europa, Mr Chang does what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the book are unable to return to Earth.
Part 1) Speculate on how it would feel to be more or less exiled from your home.
Part 2) Would you choose to live on a different planet away from your family if it would extend your life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Speculate on how the story would have been different for the members of the Galaxy if Rose's body had not been seen being vomited up by the shark-like creature.
Part 2) Considering it was scientists on the Universe would they have been able to figure this information out other ways? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) There are many different moments of foreshadowing in the story. Choose one that you feel is the biggest moment of foreshadowing to write about.
Part 2) List a moment that could have been foreshadowing but wasn't and explain to what it could have logically pointed.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)