|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rolf van der Berg volunteered for what position on the chartered mission with Captain Eric Laplace?
2. Uncle Paul searched for evidence and found it in what publication?
3. How did Van der Berg send his request for help to his uncle?
4. Who emerged from the bridge after the gunshot?
5. Dr. Chant was the group's speleologist, what was his profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the layers that Dr. Chant observes as he is spelunking through Haley's comet?
2. Why was the Universe's tour cut short and called back to Earth?
3. How does Van der Berg contact Dr.Paul Kreuger and why?
4. Second Officer Chang on his night watch had what conversation with the steward?
5. Describe Europa's appearance.
6. Where do the team of scientists on the Galaxy launch the second penetrometer?
7. When Captain Laplace realizes they are turning in space, what does he do?
8. Where did the Galaxy team of scientists launch their first penetometer?
9. While awaiting rendezvous with the comet, Mihailovich sees something, what is it?
10. Where did the Galaxy finally land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
Part 1) Galaxy lands and finds that this new world is an exact replica of old earth and the two ecosystems are completely compatible.
Part 2) The creatures on Europa, or the monolith, are hostile towards humans.
Part 3) The monolith had been damaged when the giant diamond landed on Europa.
Essay Topic 2
If you had been a character in the book which ship would you have rather been on? Explain your answer. What are the differences between the ships? What was the author trying to indicate by these differences?
Essay Topic 3
The two main captains in the story are Captain Smith and Captain Laplace.
Part 1) What about these two characters is the same?
Part 2) What about these characters is different?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)