|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Oom Paul?
2. Where did Dr. Floyd help Chris get a job?
3. How did Rosie McMullen hijack the ship?
4. What was the Lady Jasmine?
5. On day five what surprise did Captain Smith reveal to the passengers of the Universe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the team of scientists on the Galaxy launch the second penetrometer?
2. Describe the Valley of Black Snow on Haley's Comet.
3. How does Van der Berg contact Dr.Paul Kreuger and why?
4. What curious events does the captain recall after the hijacking of the Galaxy?
5. While researching Europa's surface, in what publication does Dr Krueger find his information, and what was it about?
6. Describe the South African Revolution and the effect that it has?
7. What was the accident that transformed Dr Heywood's aging process?
8. What are some of the things that Dr. Floyd marvels about on the Universe?
9. Where did the Galaxy team of scientists launch their first penetometer?
10. What is Shaka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Floyd and his grandson, Chris, obviously care for each other although there are not many scenes of them together in the story.
Part 1) Compare what is known about Dr. Floyd's character to what is known about Chris Floyd's character.
Part 2) Is it clear that they share family traits? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the book are unable to return to Earth.
Part 1) Speculate on how it would feel to be more or less exiled from your home.
Part 2) Would you choose to live on a different planet away from your family if it would extend your life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Floyd and his grandson, Chris, are seemingly two of the more important characters in the book.
Part 1) How would the story been different if there had been no Dr. Floyd?
Part 2) How would the story have been different if Dr. Floyd had been with Chris aboard the Galaxy rather than on the Universe?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)