|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Uncle Paul searched for evidence and found it in what publication?
2. What was William Tsung's title?
3. How long did the penetrometer work when launched into Io?
4. For what was Shaka named?
5. To where was Tsung fleet's Cosmos designed to travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the accident that transformed Dr Heywood's aging process?
2. Upon approaching Europa, Mr Chang does what?
3. Describe what Captain Smith observed upon Haley's surface.
4. What preparations does Dr. Floyd make before joining the journey to Haley's Comet?
5. Second Officer Chris Floyd seeks out whom in this chapter to discuss the events?
6. Why was the Universe's tour cut short and called back to Earth?
7. On day five of the journey to Haley's Comet, the captain reveals what secret; describe the secret?
8. While researching Europa's surface, in what publication does Dr Krueger find his information, and what was it about?
9. Why does Captain Smith ban the tourists from visiting Tuonela Lake?
10. Describe Europa's appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Speculate on why the author chooses not to reveal the intelligent creatures on Europa.
Part 2) Is it possible that these creatures communicate with the monolith and its trinity? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the book are unable to return to Earth.
Part 1) Speculate on how it would feel to be more or less exiled from your home.
Part 2) Would you choose to live on a different planet away from your family if it would extend your life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Although this book was written in 1987, what subjects did C. Clark touch on that are current issues today? If he wrote the book today what changes would be made if any? Explain your answer.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)