|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company insured the chartered mission?
2. Where does Dr Heywood Floyd reside?
3. Dr Greenberg asked for what after the announcement was made?
4. What was Dr.Paul Kreuger's scientific specialty?
5. How long did the penetrometer work when launched into Io?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at Sunrise on Europa to convince Van der Berg of possible worth to the planet?
2. Where did the Galaxy finally land?
3. What was the accident that transformed Dr Heywood's aging process?
4. Second Officer Chang on his night watch had what conversation with the steward?
5. What is Shaka?
6. Where did Dr Floyd fantasize about visiting?
7. Van der Berg contacts an astrophysicist by the name of Dr Wilkins for what purpose?
8. When Captain Laplace realizes they are turning in space, what does he do?
9. Describe Europa's appearance.
10. What are some of the things that Dr. Floyd marvels about on the Universe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When stranded on Europa many of the scientists become excited at the thought of being able to explore.
Part 1) What would have been your realistic reaction knowing that a rescue might not come in time to save you?
Part 2) Why does the author chose not to focus heavily on the conditions the scientists encounter while on the planet past the fact that the things from different worlds are poisonous to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to write about:
Part 1) Galaxy lands and finds that this new world is an exact replica of old earth and the two ecosystems are completely compatible.
Part 2) The creatures on Europa, or the monolith, are hostile towards humans.
Part 3) The monolith had been damaged when the giant diamond landed on Europa.
Essay Topic 3
The two main captains in the story are Captain Smith and Captain Laplace.
Part 1) What about these two characters is the same?
Part 2) What about these characters is different?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)