|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ASTROPOL and the USSA would not admit that what did not exist?
2. Where does Dr Heywood Floyd reside?
3. Where did the Galaxy finally land?
4. What was Dr.Paul Kreuger's scientific specialty?
5. Where on Europa is the second penetrometer to be dropped?
Short Essay Questions
1. Van der Berg contacts an astrophysicist by the name of Dr Wilkins for what purpose?
2. Describe the South African Revolution and the effect that it has?
3. What preparations does Dr. Floyd make before joining the journey to Haley's Comet?
4. While awaiting rendezvous with the comet, Mihailovich sees something, what is it?
5. Where did Dr Floyd fantasize about visiting?
6. When Captain Laplace realizes they are turning in space, what does he do?
7. How does Van der Berg contact Dr.Paul Kreuger and why?
8. Second Officer Chang on his night watch had what conversation with the steward?
9. Describe the Valley of Black Snow on Haley's Comet.
10. What curious events does the captain recall after the hijacking of the Galaxy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When stranded on Europa many of the scientists become excited at the thought of being able to explore.
Part 1) What would have been your realistic reaction knowing that a rescue might not come in time to save you?
Part 2) Why does the author chose not to focus heavily on the conditions the scientists encounter while on the planet past the fact that the things from different worlds are poisonous to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Why isn't there more information found on the Shaka group?
Part 2) How would the story have been different if there had been more information imparted to the reader about this organization?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write about:
Part 1) Galaxy lands and finds that this new world is an exact replica of old earth and the two ecosystems are completely compatible.
Part 2) The creatures on Europa, or the monolith, are hostile towards humans.
Part 3) The monolith had been damaged when the giant diamond landed on Europa.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)