|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ginny almost do when Miriam's IM lights up?
2. Where do Ginny and Keith spend the night?
3. What hostel does Ginny rent a room in when she leaves Paris?
4. What reason does Ginny suggest that makes Keith interested in her?
5. What does Ginny tell her companions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ginny find at the second hostel she stops at and how does she end up spending the night there? What does she do once she has a place?
2. What does the group do when the leave the beach in Greece and what does Ginny do when she finds out she has no money?
3. How does Ginny feel about getting out of the cemetery and what does Keith do when she says she missed the locking of the hostel?
4. What do Keith and Ginny talk about at the cemetery and what do they do?
5. How does Ginny find out who Piet is and what does she find out from him?
6. How does Ginny find the cafe and what does she do there?
7. How does Ginny find a key?
8. What does Peg tell Ginny about the last envelope and what does Ginny say when Carrie asks her when she is going to open it?
9. What does Ginny tell Keith about Richard and what does he say to her?
10. Who does Ginny meet at the hostel in Copenhagen, what do they nickname her and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "13 Little Blue Envelopes".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "13 Little Blue Envelopes". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of the story. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Maureen Johnson.
2. What in Johnson's background may have helped him in writing "13 Little Blue Envelopes"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
"13 Little Blue Envelopes" belongs to the teen novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the teen novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a teen novel and a historical novel?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)