|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Keith say Ginny has to do?
2. What does Ginny buy at a grocery store?
3. What hostel does Ginny rent a room in when she leaves Paris?
4. What does Emmett tell the cab driver?
5. How long has Keith been waiting for Ginny?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ginny and Carrie lose their backpacks?
2. What does Ginny tell Keith about Richard and what does he say to her?
3. Where does Ginny go first in Paris and what does the letter say that she opens there?
4. How does Ginny find out who Piet is and what does she find out from him?
5. What does the key fit and what does Ginny find there? What does she do next?
6. What does Peg tell Ginny in her letter about Denmark?
7. Where does Ginny go after Copenhagen and how does she end up with friends going with her?
8. What does Ginny do when she leaves Richard after learning he was Peg's husband?
9. How does Ginny find the cafe and what does she do there?
10. Who does Ginny meet at the hostel in Copenhagen, what do they nickname her and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"13 Little Blue Envelopes" belongs to the teen novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the teen novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a teen novel and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "13 Little Blue Envelopes"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "13 Little Blue Envelopes" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "13 Little Blue Envelopes" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "13 Little Blue Envelopes" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)