|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brought Keith to Paris?
2. Where does Peg go from Paris?
3. What does Olivia do when she comes in the room?
4. Where is Ginny to find Piet?
5. How much money does Ginny need to give the Knapps?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ginny find out who Piet is and what does she find out from him?
2. What does Peg tell Ginny in her letter about Denmark?
3. How do Ginny and Carrie lose their backpacks?
4. What does Keith tell her when she sees him at the hostel and what do they do from there?
5. What does Ginny find at the second hostel she stops at and how does she end up spending the night there? What does she do once she has a place?
6. What does Ginny do the first day with the Knapps?
7. Where is Ginny suppose to go after Rome, where is she suppose to stay and why?
8. Who does Ginny meet at the hostel in Copenhagen, what do they nickname her and why?
9. How does Ginny know what to pay the Knapps, what amazes her about the bill and the amount?
10. What does the group do when the leave the beach in Greece and what does Ginny do when she finds out she has no money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ginny is astounded that even from the grave Peg seemed able to give Ginny exactly what she needs most. She had always been good at that in the past, calling intuitively when Ginny needed her. Mari tells Ginny that she was sorry to hear about her Aunt's passing, and claims that Peg felt terrible about leaving Ginny behind. Ginny spends most of the train ride back to London explaining everything to Keith after which he tells her he doesn't like what Peg did to her. Ginny defends her. When they are almost home, he pulls out a small Godzilla that he stole from Mari's and Ginny gets angry. When he sees she doesn't want it, he tosses it on the tracks in the tube station, making Ginny even more angry. Unable to understand why she is so upset, he tells her he'll take the bus and disappears into the crowd before Ginny can say anything else.
1. Discuss, in depth, what you think about Peg's character that Ginny would think Peg could predict Ginny so well. Use examples from your own life and "13 Little Blue Envelopes" to support your answer.
2. Mara says that Peg felt terrible about leaving Ginny, and yet, Peg never contacted Ginny about her illness. Discuss what you think is the reason for this. Use examples from your own life and "13 Little Blue Envelopes" to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Ginny was angry at Keith and why do you think Keith became angry at Ginny's anger? Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
"13 Little Blue Envelopes" belongs to the teen novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the teen novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a teen novel and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "13 Little Blue Envelopes" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)