|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet LXXXVIII, what month does Neruda say "returns with its secret light?"
2. In Sonnet LXIV, love tints Neruda's life what color?
3. In Sonnet LXXV, what does Neruda say the house has forgotten how to do?
4. What opposites does Neruda NOT consider in Sonnet LXVI?
5. In Sonnet LXXXIII, what does Neruda say he wants to be over his eyes when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Neruda and Matilde looking for in Sonnet LXXI?
2. How does Matilde's body comfort Neruda in Sonnet LXXXV?
3. Why does Neruda feel sorry for the "poor unlucky poets" in Sonnet LIX?
4. Where are Neruda and Matilde when they share a kiss in Sonnet C?
5. Why does Neruda write, "Woe is me, woe is me" at the beginning of Sonnet LXII?
6. In Sonnet LXXXIX, what does Neruda want Matilde to do when he dies? Why does he want her to do this?
7. What is unusual about the images of winter and cold in Sonnet LXXIV?
8. What emotion is symbolized by the "calm slow flower, constantly held out" in Sonnet LXXXVII? What does Neruda see that makes him contemplate that emotion?
9. Who are the man and woman in Sonnet LXXIII, and what do they arm themselves against? Are they successful in fending off their enemy?
10. What are Neruda and Matilde looking for in Sonnet XCV, and what do they plan to do once they find it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Neruda's use of food imagery. What objects or concepts does Neruda relate to food? What properties do the described objects and the food they are compared to have in common? What do the food images in Neruda's poems indicate about the poet himself and how he views the object being described? Support any assertions with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Matilde as she appears in Neruda's poems. Use Neruda's poetry to define various aspects of Matilde's person; some aspects one may want to explore include her appearance, her sexuality, her domesticity, her personality and any other aspects from the poems. Use specific examples from the sonnets.
Essay Topic 3
Many of Neruda's poems focus extensively on different animals or insects. Choose three poems that contain examples of animals or insects, and examine the importance of those beings in the poem. Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)