|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet V, what does Neruda say he forgot about Matilde before he was in love with her?
2. In Sonnet X, what is Matilde doing as Neruda admires her beauty?
3. In Sonnet XXXI, where do Neruda and Matilde wander "like other country people?"
4. In Sonnet XL, what month does Neruda say "trembled like a butterfly?"
5. In Sonnet L, what aspect of Matilde does Neruda say "drops like a hawk from a stony tower?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Neruda give Matilde the title "The One Who Puts Things in Order" in Sonnet XXXI?
2. Neruda says that "everything alive has its two sides," including love. In Sonnet XLIV, what are the two sides of Neruda's love for Matilde? Why are both sides important?
3. In Sonnet XXXIII, where are Matilde and Neruda before they return "across the crackling sea?" Why do they return home?
4. What is Neruda looking for when he studies other women in Sonnet XLIII?
5. In Sonnet I, how does Neruda describe Matilde's name?
6. How does Neruda describe Matilde's hands in Sonnet XL?
7. What images does Neruda use in Sonnet XLVI to explain how he chose Matilde out of any other alternatives?
8. How is Neruda affected by the "bitter love" he experiences in Sonnet III?
9. What imagery does Neruda use to compare Matilde to bread in Sonnet XIII?
10. List some examples of earth imagery Neruda uses to describe Matilde in Sonnet XXX.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of Neruda's poems include examples of cycles or cyclical images. Examine the poet's inclusion of cycles in his poems and the importance of those cycles to the overarching themes contained in Neruda's 100 Sonnets. Use specific cycles that are found in the poems, and support all assertions with examples from the texts.
Essay Topic 2
Wood is a recurring theme in Neruda's 100 Sonnets. Analyze Neruda's usage of that motif and examine the symbolism and imagery associated with wood. Be sure to support all assertions with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Assess Neruda's use of the sonnet as a form of poetry. How are Neruda's poems similar to traditional sonnets? How are they different? How does Neruda view his sonnets when he compares them to those of other poets? Be specific.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)