|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XXVII, Neruda says that Matilde is "as blue as the night" of what country?
2. In Sonnet XXXII, what title does Neruda give to Matilde?
3. In Sonnet XXXVII, what does Matilde conquer with her love?
4. What does the river in Sonnet XLIX signify?
5. In Sonnet XXXIV, what does Neruda say can "push back the shadows" and enable Matilde to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives Neruda and Matilde the "eternal life of the Natural" in Sonnet XLVIII?
2. What is Neruda looking for when he studies other women in Sonnet XLIII?
3. Neruda says that "everything alive has its two sides," including love. In Sonnet XLIV, what are the two sides of Neruda's love for Matilde? Why are both sides important?
4. In Sonnet XLV, what does Neruda say will happen to him if Matilde leaves?
5. Why does Neruda's description of Matilde's laugh contrast so strongly with her physical appearance in Sonnet L?
6. List some examples of earth imagery Neruda uses to describe Matilde in Sonnet XXX.
7. Why does Neruda give Matilde the title "The One Who Puts Things in Order" in Sonnet XXXI?
8. In Sonnet XXIX, why does Neruda say he chose Matilde? How does her background influence his decision?
9. What does Neruda say about Matilde's hair in Sonnet XIV?
10. In what manner does Neruda say he loves Matilde in Sonnet XVII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his 100 Sonnets, Neruda makes extensive use of metaphor and conceit to describe certain concepts or objects that are important to him. Analyze Neruda's use of metaphor and conceit throughout the text, using examples from at least at least four different sonnets. What does Neruda achieve by using metaphor and conceit instead of literal descriptions of the described object or concept? Use quotes from the book to support all assertions.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the various properties of love described in Neruda's sonnets. How does Neruda view love? What properties does he ascribe to that emotion? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the forest in Neruda's poems. Topics one may want to consider include the forest's effect on Neruda, its role in developing Neruda and Matilde as characters, and the concepts or moods the forest symbolizes in various poems. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)