|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XC, what does Neruda say is the only thing that matters "when death comes knocking?"
2. In Sonnet XCV, what does Neruda describe as "the light that endures," and as a "irrevocable delicate thorn?"
(b) The power of death.
(c) He and Matilde, and the love they share.
(d) The beauty of life.
3. In Sonnet LXIV, what malady of Neruda's does Matilde cure?
(a) A heart of stone.
(b) A broken heart.
(c) A crushing loneliness.
(d) A cynical mind.
4. In Sonnet LXXIII, what are the man and woman in Neruda's poem protecting themselves from?
5. In Sonnet XCIV, what does Neruda ask Matilde to do if he dies before her?
(a) He asks her to start writing poetry.
(b) He asks her to remarry.
(c) He asks her to carry on and live fully.
(d) He asks her to pray for his soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is described in Sonnet LXXIX?
2. In Sonnet LV, what does Neruda NOT say attacks "the honied contentment" of love?
3. What is the painter in Sonnet LXXVI painting?
4. What is Neruda looking for in Sonnet LXV?
5. In Sonnet LXXXII, what is the "shadow" that Neruda calls an "intermittent friend?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Neruda feel about himself and his poetry in Sonnet LVIII?
2. What are Neruda and Matilde looking for in Sonnet XCV, and what do they plan to do once they find it?
3. What does the figurehead in Sonnet LxVIII appear to do that prompts Neruda to write about her?
4. Why does Neruda feel sorry for the "poor unlucky poets" in Sonnet LIX?
5. What effect does Matilde's absence have on Neruda in Sonnet LXV?
6. What are Neruda and Matilde looking for in Sonnet LXXI?
7. How does Neruda describe his homeland in Sonnet LXIII?
8. Where are Neruda and Matilde when they share a kiss in Sonnet C?
9. In Sonnet LV, what attacks the "honied contentment" Matilde and Neruda share?
10. What does Neruda write are the effects of modern society's infatuation with flying in Sonnet XCVII?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)