|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XCIX, what time period does Neruda contemplate?
(a) The past.
(b) The time before the beginning of the world.
(c) The future.
(d) The end of time.
2. In Sonnet XCVI, what does Neruda say the "cruel gods" wear?
3. In Sonnet LIX, what does Neruda say is the only reason that people defame poets?
(a) The nature of poetry leaves it open to interpretation.
(b) They are dead and cannot defend themselves.
(c) Their work belongs to the people, not themselves.
(d) Poetry is not respected as an art form.
4. In Sonnet LXIII, what land does Neruda call "savage" and "deadly?"
(a) His own homeland.
(d) The desert.
5. In Sonnet LVI, what word does Neruda say fills the world with doves?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XC, what does Neruda say is the only thing that matters "when death comes knocking?"
2. In Sonnet LXXXVII, Neruda contemplates the "ceaseless origins" of which human emotion?
3. In Sonnet LIII, what does Neruda NOT cite as "a man's needs, and a woman's?"
4. In Sonnet LXXXII, what does Neruda say happens to him and Matilde when they dream?
5. In Sonnet LXXXVII, what does Neruda see in the sky that causes him to write the poem and contemplate its content?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Sonnet XCIII, why does Neruda ask Matilde to leave her mouth half-open if she should die before him?
2. In Sonnet XCII, what does Neruda choose to contemplate instead of the inevitable death of either himself or Matilde?
3. In Sonnet LXXXIX, what does Neruda want Matilde to do when he dies? Why does he want her to do this?
4. Why does Neruda feel sorry for the "poor unlucky poets" in Sonnet LIX?
5. What defeats envy and rancor in Sonnet LVI?
6. Why has the house in Sonnet LXXV forgotten how to bloom?
7. What are Neruda and Matilde looking for in Sonnet LXXI?
8. Why does Neruda urge Matilde to sleep in Sonnet LXXXIX?
9. How does Neruda contrast cold and warmth in Sonnet LXXXVIII?
10. What emotion is symbolized by the "calm slow flower, constantly held out" in Sonnet LXXXVII? What does Neruda see that makes him contemplate that emotion?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)