|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opposites does Neruda NOT consider in Sonnet LXVI?
(a) Love and not love.
(b) Cold and fire.
(c) Hate and not hate.
(d) Light and darkness.
2. In Sonnet LXXXIV, what does Neruda say "supports the columns of the heaven's harbor?"
(a) The moon.
(b) The stars.
(d) The lovers' dreams.
3. In Sonnet XC, what does Neruda say is the only thing that matters "when death comes knocking?"
4. In Sonnet LXXVII, what does time sprinkle in Matilde's heart?
5. In Sonnet LXX, what wounds Neruda?
(a) His loneliness.
(b) The silence of the jungle.
(c) His unrequited love.
(d) Matilde's eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet LXXXII, what is the "shadow" that Neruda calls an "intermittent friend?"
2. What is Neruda looking for in Sonnet LXV?
3. In Sonnet LXXXVII, what does Neruda see in the sky that causes him to write the poem and contemplate its content?
4. In Sonnet LXVIII, where did the girl whose story Neruda is telling come from?
5. Which image does Neruda NOT use to describe the constellation in Sonnet LXXXVI?
Short Essay Questions
1. What defeats envy and rancor in Sonnet LVI?
2. In Sonnet XCI, what overshadows the life that he gives to Matilde "like a swelling cluster of fruit?"
3. Why does Neruda urge Matilde to sleep in Sonnet LXXXIX?
4. What does Neruda write are the effects of modern society's infatuation with flying in Sonnet XCVII?
5. In Sonnet LXXII, what causes Neruda to exclaim, "Let's go -- get up -- pin back your hair -- take off and land?"
6. How does Matilde's body comfort Neruda in Sonnet LXXXV?
7. In Sonnet LXXXIII, where is Matilde as she sleeps -- both in body and in spirit?
8. Why does Neruda feel sorry for the "poor unlucky poets" in Sonnet LIX?
9. How does Neruda feel about himself and his poetry in Sonnet LVIII?
10. Where are Neruda and Matilde when they share a kiss in Sonnet C?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)