|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day is described in Sonnet LXXIX?
2. In Sonnet LXXXII, what does Neruda say happens to him and Matilde when they dream?
(a) They travel the world together.
(b) They are united in their dreams.
(c) They can read the other's mind.
(d) They are allowed to be individuals.
3. What does Neruda say in Sonnet LVIII "snapped at his honest heels" with "sharp little teeth?"
4. In Sonnet XCVII, what flower does Neruda say the subject of the poem will be transformed into on another planet?
5. What is the name of the painter that Neruda describes in Sonnet LXXVI?
(a) Benito Rojo.
(b) Francisco Goya.
(c) Frieda Kahlo.
(d) Diego Rivera.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XCIX, in what form does Neruda say his heart will exist after he is long dead?
2. What is Neruda looking for in Sonnet LXV?
3. In Sonnet LXXXIII, where is Matilde as she sleeps?
4. In Sonnet LXXV, what does Neruda say the house has forgotten how to do?
5. In Sonnet LXIV, love tints Neruda's life what color?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Neruda contrast cold and warmth in Sonnet LXXXVIII?
2. How does Neruda describe his homeland in Sonnet LXIII?
3. Why does Neruda urge Matilde to sleep in Sonnet LXXXIX?
4. What effect does Matilde's absence have on Neruda in Sonnet LXV?
5. What are Neruda and Matilde looking for in Sonnet LXXI?
6. Who are the man and woman in Sonnet LXXIII, and what do they arm themselves against? Are they successful in fending off their enemy?
7. How does Neruda respond to his critics and those who gossip about him in Sonnet LVII?
8. Where are Neruda and Matilde when they share a kiss in Sonnet C?
9. What is unusual about the images of winter and cold in Sonnet LXXIV?
10. In Sonnet LV, what attacks the "honied contentment" Matilde and Neruda share?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)