|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XVII, what does Neruda imply about the relationship between himself and Matilde?
(a) Their love is so complex that he must study it.
(b) Their love is so deep that they are almost the same person.
(c) Their love is fleeting.
(d) Their love is so simple that he does not think about it.
2. In Sonnet XLI, what does Neruda hint will bring an end to the "rough times" he describes?
3. In Sonnet XIV, what does Neruda say Italians call Matilde?
4. In Sonnet XXXVIII, Neruda says that Matilde's house sounds like what object?
(a) A symphony.
(b) A storm.
(c) A hymn.
(d) A train.
5. In Sonnet XIV, which of Matilde's features does Neruda say he does not have time to celebrate?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her neck.
(c) Her eyes.
(d) Her hips.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet III, what words does Neruda use to describe love?
2. In Sonnet XXXI, what two plants does Neruda use to crown Matilde?
3. In Sonnet XXXII, what starts the morning with "its truths scrambled" and that "drifts like a poor little boat?"
4. In Sonnet II, what ultimately brings Neruda and Matilde together?
5. In Sonnet XXXVI, what item does Neruda NOT name as one of Matilde's "weapons?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In what manner does Neruda say he loves Matilde in Sonnet XVII?
2. What gives Neruda and Matilde the "eternal life of the Natural" in Sonnet XLVIII?
3. List some examples of earth imagery Neruda uses to describe Matilde in Sonnet XXX.
4. List some examples of how Neruda compares Matilde's body to the universe in Sonnet XVI.
5. How is Neruda affected by the "bitter love" he experiences in Sonnet III?
6. What are some ways Neruda describes Matilde and her house using images related to sound in Sonnet XXXVIII?
7. What does Neruda say about Matilde's hair in Sonnet XIV?
8. In Sonnet XLV, what does Neruda say will happen to him if Matilde leaves?
9. In Sonnet I, how does Neruda describe Matilde's name?
10. What are some aspects of Matilde's ugliness and beauty does Neruda list in Sonnet XX?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)