|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XIX, what image does Neruda NOT use to describe the insect he watches?
(a) A spike.
(b) A needle.
(c) A thief.
(d) An airplane.
2. In Sonnet XVII, what does Neruda say about the way he loves Matilde?
(a) He loves her without knowing how or why he does so.
(b) He loves her because they were made for each other.
(c) He loves her because of her intense beauty.
(d) He loves her because he was born to do so.
3. In Sonnet L, what does Neruda encourage Matilde to do?
4. In Sonnet XL, what month does Neruda say "trembled like a butterfly?"
5. In Sonnet II, what ultimately brings Neruda and Matilde together?
(a) Their loneliness.
(b) Their love.
(d) The country.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XXII, what image does Neruda NOT use to describe Matilde?
2. In Sonnet XXXVI, what item does Neruda NOT name as one of Matilde's "weapons?"
3. In Sonnet XXV, which of Matilde's qualities does Neruda say "filled the autumn plentiful with gifts?"
4. In Sonnet XXIV, describes the clouds and what "triumphant" group of people?
5. In Sonnet XVIII, Neruda says that Matilde moves through the mountains as swiftly as what two objects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery does Neruda use to compare Matilde to bread in Sonnet XIII?
2. What does Neruda say about Matilde's hair in Sonnet XIV?
3. What are some ways Neruda describes Matilde and her house using images related to sound in Sonnet XXXVIII?
4. What is Neruda looking for when he studies other women in Sonnet XLIII?
5. Why does Neruda give Matilde the title "The One Who Puts Things in Order" in Sonnet XXXI?
6. What are some aspects of Matilde's ugliness and beauty does Neruda list in Sonnet XX?
7. What imagery does Neruda use to describe Matilde as he watches her walk by the sea in Sonnet X?
8. In his dedication, how does Neruda compare his poems to those of other poets?
9. How is Neruda affected by the "bitter love" he experiences in Sonnet III?
10. What obstacles does Neruda and Matilde's love face in Sonnet XXVIII? Does their love survive?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)