|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the girl whose story Neruda is telling in Sonnet LXVIII made of?
2. In Sonnet LII, what does Matilde do that causes the whole earth to sing?
(a) She breathes.
(b) She walks.
(c) She dances.
(d) She sings.
3. In Sonnet LXXXIII, what does Neruda say he wants to be over his eyes when he dies?
(a) The darkness of sleep.
(b) Matilde's hands.
(c) Matilde's hair.
(d) The warmth of peace.
4. In Sonnet LV, what does Neruda NOT say attacks "the honied contentment" of love?
(d) Shattered glass.
5. According to Sonnet LX, what is Neruda afraid has wounded Matilde?
(a) His own critics.
(b) His imperfections.
(c) His selfishness.
(d) Her insecurities.
6. In Sonnet LXXIX, what does Neruda describe as "a double drum in the forest, pounding against the thick wall of wet leaves?"
(a) His heart and Matilde's heart.
(b) His hatred for his critics.
(c) His mortality.
7. In Sonnet LV, what does Neruda say that even love cannot shelter himself and Matilde from?
(a) Petty disagreements.
(b) Distrust in the other partner.
(d) Everyday troubles.
8. In Sonnet LVIII, where does Neruda go while he is "singing with the wind?"
(a) Back to his homeland.
(b) To be with Matilde.
(c) Back to his library.
(d) To the sea.
9. In Sonnet LXXI, what human feature does Neruda describe the earth as having?
10. In Sonnet LVII, who is defeated by the love between Matilde and Neruda's love?
(a) People who gossip about and slander Neruda.
(b) Neruda's literary critics.
(c) Neruda's political opponents.
(d) Neruda's romantic rivals.
11. In Sonnet XC, what does Neruda say is the only thing that matters "when death comes knocking?"
12. In Sonnet LXIV, what does Neruda realize about what he owes Matilde for curing him?
(a) He can not fathom how much he owes Matilde.
(b) He has repaid Matilde with his love.
(c) He will repay Matilde for the rest of his life.
(d) He knows exactly how much he owes Matilde.
13. What is the constellation Neruda addresses in Sonnet LXXXVI?
(a) The Southern Cross.
(b) Ursa Major.
14. In Sonnet LXIX, what does Neruda say "nothingness" is?
(a) The sound of wind in the trees.
(b) Matilde's absence.
(c) The sound of waves on the shore.
(d) Matilde's silence.
15. What does Neruda say in Sonnet LVIII "snapped at his honest heels" with "sharp little teeth?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Neruda propose he and Matilde do at the end of Sonnet LXXVIII?
2. In Sonnet LXX, which of Neruda's emotions is revealed after he is wounded?
3. In Sonnet LXXIII, what word does Neruda use to describe the woman who "rose like a fish from the abyss?"
4. In Sonnet LXIV, what malady of Neruda's does Matilde cure?
5. In Sonnet LXX, what wounds Neruda?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)