|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet LXXXII, what is the "shadow" that Neruda calls an "intermittent friend?"
2. In Sonnet LI, Neruda describes Matilde as what landmark?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A river.
(d) A tree.
3. In Sonnet LXXXIII, where is Matilde as she sleeps?
(a) In a hammock.
(b) Next to Neruda.
(c) In another bedroom.
(d) In another country.
4. What image does Neruda NOT use to describe the sleeping lovers in Sonnet LXXXIV?
(a) A drop in a river.
(b) A chalice.
(c) A dark space.
(d) Marble statues.
5. In Sonnet LXX, what wounds Neruda?
(a) His unrequited love.
(b) His loneliness.
(c) Matilde's eyes.
(d) The silence of the jungle.
6. What is the constellation Neruda addresses in Sonnet LXXXVI?
(a) Ursa Major.
(c) The Southern Cross.
7. In Sonnet XCIX, in what form does Neruda say his heart will exist after he is long dead?
(a) It will exist as dust.
(b) It will exist as rich soil.
(c) It will exist as water.
(d) It will exist as steam.
8. In Sonnet LXXXVII, what does Neruda see in the sky that causes him to write the poem and contemplate its content?
(a) An airplane.
(b) The moon.
(c) A single star.
(d) Three birds.
9. In Sonnet XCI, what does Neruda say covers himself and Matilde "like drizzle?"
10. In Sonnet LV, what does Neruda say that even love cannot shelter himself and Matilde from?
(b) Petty disagreements.
(c) Distrust in the other partner.
(d) Everyday troubles.
11. In Sonnet LXVII, where is the origin of the rain that falls on Isla Negra?
(a) The South.
(b) The ocean.
(c) Maccu Piccu.
12. According to Sonnet LIX, what harasses "Poor unlucky poets?"
(a) Nature and mankind.
(b) Happiness and sadness.
(c) Order and chaos.
(d) LIfe and death.
13. In Sonnet LXIX, what does Neruda say "nothingness" is?
(a) The sound of waves on the shore.
(b) Matilde's silence.
(c) Matilde's absence.
(d) The sound of wind in the trees.
14. In Sonnet LVII, who is defeated by the love between Matilde and Neruda's love?
(a) Neruda's literary critics.
(b) Neruda's political opponents.
(c) People who gossip about and slander Neruda.
(d) Neruda's romantic rivals.
15. In Sonnet XCIV, what does Neruda ask Matilde to do if he dies before her?
(a) He asks her to carry on and live fully.
(b) He asks her to start writing poetry.
(c) He asks her to pray for his soul.
(d) He asks her to remarry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet LXXIII, what word does Neruda use to describe the woman who "rose like a fish from the abyss?"
2. In Sonnet LIII, what does Neruda say "fly and make their white creations?"
3. In Sonnet XCVII, what flower does Neruda say the subject of the poem will be transformed into on another planet?
4. What happens to Neruda in Sonnet XC that he says makes him feel "the cold up close?"
5. In Sonnet XCIII, how does Neruda say he will die if Matilde dies before him?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)