|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the pain Neruda experiences in Sonnet LXV?
(a) In his leg.
(b) Between his ribs.
(c) In his spirit.
(d) In his brain.
2. In Sonnet LXXVIII, what does Neruda say he has fought against?
3. In Sonnet XCIX, what time period does Neruda contemplate?
(a) The future.
(b) The end of time.
(c) The past.
(d) The time before the beginning of the world.
4. In Sonnet XCIX, in what form does Neruda say his heart will exist after he is long dead?
(a) It will exist as water.
(b) It will exist as steam.
(c) It will exist as rich soil.
(d) It will exist as dust.
5. In Sonnet LXX, what wounds Neruda?
(a) Matilde's eyes.
(b) The silence of the jungle.
(c) His loneliness.
(d) His unrequited love.
6. In Sonnet LXXXVII, what does Neruda see in the sky that causes him to write the poem and contemplate its content?
(a) A single star.
(b) The moon.
(c) Three birds.
(d) An airplane.
7. In Sonnet LXVIII, where did the girl whose story Neruda is telling come from?
(a) She came from a ship.
(b) She came from Isla Negra.
(c) She came from the heavens.
(d) She came from the South.
8. In Sonnet LXVI, what is the reason Neruda says he will die?
(a) Because he loves Matilde.
(b) Because he can not love Matilde.
(c) Because his heart has broken.
(d) Because he is so selfish.
9. In Sonnet XCVII, what mode of transportation does Neruda note has made "shoes and pathways... no longer enough?"
10. What is the "huge and sorrowful family" described in Sonnet LV?
(b) Humanity as a whole.
(c) City people.
11. In Sonnet LXXXVIII, what month does Neruda say "returns with its secret light?"
12. In Sonnet LIII, what does Neruda say "fly and make their white creations?"
(a) Matilde's hands.
(b) Neruda's poems.
(c) Matilde's feet.
(d) Neruda's thoughts.
13. In Sonnet LXXXII, what is the "shadow" that Neruda calls an "intermittent friend?"
14. In Sonnet LI, Neruda describes Matilde as what landmark?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A river.
(d) A tree.
15. What does Neruda say in Sonnet LVIII "snapped at his honest heels" with "sharp little teeth?"
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet LXXV, what does Neruda say the house has forgotten how to do?
2. In Sonnet LVI, what word does Neruda say fills the world with doves?
3. In Sonnet XCIII, how does Neruda say he will die if Matilde dies before him?
4. In Sonnet XCII, what does Neruda say has no birth and no death, and will therefore last forever?
5. In Sonnet LIV, what two things does Neruda describe as being "like two wings?"
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)