|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet LXXXVIII, what month does Neruda say "returns with its secret light?"
2. In Sonnet LXXXII, what is the "shadow" that Neruda calls an "intermittent friend?"
3. In Sonnet LXXXIII, where is Matilde as she sleeps?
(a) In another country.
(b) In another bedroom.
(c) Next to Neruda.
(d) In a hammock.
4. In Sonnet LI, Matilde's laugh reminds Neruda of what kind of tree?
(a) A tree that is struck by lightening.
(b) A tree the offers shade to travelers.
(c) A tree that grows deep in the forest.
(d) A tree growing along on a cliff.
5. What are Neruda and Matilde looking for in Sonnet LXXI?
(a) Refreshment after their long travels.
(b) A way to renew their fading love.
(c) A place to live in peace.
(d) A lost child.
6. What does Neruda say in Sonnet LVIII "snapped at his honest heels" with "sharp little teeth?"
7. In Sonnet LVII, who is defeated by the love between Matilde and Neruda's love?
(a) Neruda's literary critics.
(b) Neruda's romantic rivals.
(c) Neruda's political opponents.
(d) People who gossip about and slander Neruda.
8. In Sonnet XCII, what does Neruda force himself not to contemplate?
(a) The crippling effects of age.
(b) The lovers having to part.
(c) Losing his memories of Matilde as he ages.
(d) One lover dying and leaving the other behind.
9. Where is the pain Neruda experiences in Sonnet LXV?
(a) In his spirit.
(b) Between his ribs.
(c) In his leg.
(d) In his brain.
10. When Neruda returns to Matilde in Sonnet LXXX, where had he been?
(a) He had been at the tavern.
(b) He had been sending a letter.
(c) He had been at the beach.
(d) He had been traveling.
11. What is Neruda looking for in Sonnet LXV?
(a) His heart.
(b) His homeland.
(c) His inspiration.
12. In Sonnet LXXXI, what does Neruda urge Matilde to do?
(d) Talk to him.
13. In Sonnet LIII, what does Neruda say "fly and make their white creations?"
(a) Matilde's feet.
(b) Matilde's hands.
(c) Neruda's poems.
(d) Neruda's thoughts.
14. In Sonnet XCI, what does Neruda say covers himself and Matilde "like drizzle?"
15. What is the season that Neruda describes in Sonnet LXXXV?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet LXXIII, what are the man and woman in Neruda's poem protecting themselves from?
2. In Sonnet C, what do Neruda and Matilde share that Neruda calls "victorious?"
3. In Sonnet XCIX, what time period does Neruda contemplate?
4. In Sonnet LXXXVII, Neruda contemplates the "ceaseless origins" of which human emotion?
5. In Sonnet LXIV, what does Neruda realize about what he owes Matilde for curing him?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)