|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XLVI, what part of Matilde does Neruda specifically say he wants all for himself?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her hips.
(d) Her skin.
2. In Sonnet XXII, what image does Neruda NOT use to describe Matilde?
(a) A guitar.
(b) A star.
(c) A queen.
(d) A wildfire.
3. In Sonnet XII, what does Neruda describe by relating it to a journey?
(a) Neruda and Matilde's slowly growing family.
(b) Neruda and Matilde's lovemaking.
(c) Neruda and Matilde's conversations.
(d) Neruda and Matilde's developing relationship.
4. In Sonnet IV, what are some "Gifts from the earth" Neruda asks Matilde to remember?
(a) Butterflies, trees, trails, animals.
(b) Smells, clay, weeds and roots, thorns.
(c) Jaguars, lakes, trees.
(d) Mists, rain, the sun, sand, waves.
5. In Sonnet IX, Neruda contrasts the love between himself and Matilde with what natural formation?
(a) A cliff by the sea.
(b) A landslide.
(c) An erupting volcano.
(d) A cloud.
6. In Sonnet XX, what two opposing concepts does Neruda use to describe Matilde?
(a) Peace and chaos.
(b) Anger and happiness.
(c) Love and hate.
(d) Beauty and ugliness.
7. What concept of time does Neruda decide to focus on in Sonnet XLIX?
(b) The future.
8. In Sonnet XXVIII, what sprouts in Neruda and Matilde's "stable place?"
9. In Sonnet L, what aspect of Matilde does Neruda say "drops like a hawk from a stony tower?"
(a) Her singing.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her laughter.
(d) Her dancing.
10. In Sonnet XXIII, what flower does Neruda say is "smearing around its bruised secrets?"
11. In Sonnet XIX, what image does Neruda NOT use to describe the insect he watches?
(a) A needle.
(b) An airplane.
(c) A spike.
(d) A thief.
12. In Sonnet XXXII, what starts the morning with "its truths scrambled" and that "drifts like a poor little boat?"
(a) The house.
(b) The sea.
(c) The city.
(d) The sun.
13. In Sonnet XXXI, what two plants does Neruda use to crown Matilde?
(a) Orange blossoms and lilies.
(b) Laurel and oregano.
(c) Laurel and roses.
(d) Vines and lilies.
14. What does Neruda look for in Sonnet XI?
(a) A love letter.
(b) Matilde's home.
(c) Isla Negra.
(d) Matilde's body.
15. In Sonnet XL, what month does Neruda say "trembled like a butterfly?"
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XXVII, Neruda says that Matilde is "as blue as the night" of what country?
2. In Sonnet XXXIV, what does Neruda say can "push back the shadows" and enable Matilde to sleep?
3. In Sonnet XXXVI, what does Neruda like watching Matilde do in her "miniature empire?"
4. In Sonnet XXXVIII, what historic poet appears wearing his "quiet sandals?"
5. In Sonnet XXXVI, what item does Neruda NOT name as one of Matilde's "weapons?"
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)