|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XXXVI, what does Neruda like watching Matilde do in her "miniature empire?"
2. In Sonnet XXXIV, Neruda says that Matilde is the daughter of what natural body?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The sea.
(c) The stars.
(d) The sun.
3. In Sonnet V, Neruda relates Matilde's hips to what object?
(a) Trees in a forest.
(b) Lilies in a valley.
(c) Barley in its fields.
(d) Wheat in its fields.
4. In Sonnet XXIII, what flower does Neruda say is "smearing around its bruised secrets?"
5. In Sonnet VII, Neruda's lover finally returns his love. What image does Neruda use to describe his feelings after his love is returned?
(a) A dove.
(b) A geyser.
(c) A sunbeam.
(d) A volcano.
6. In Sonnet XLIX, what does Neruda NOT say that he sings to?
(a) The moon.
(b) The planets.
(c) The sea.
(d) The birds.
7. In Sonnet XXVIII, what sprouts in Neruda and Matilde's "stable place?"
8. In Sonnet XIV, what does Neruda say Italians call Matilde?
9. In Sonnet XXXII, what starts the morning with "its truths scrambled" and that "drifts like a poor little boat?"
(a) The city.
(b) The sea.
(c) The house.
(d) The sun.
10. In Sonnet XXX, what is the lost object that Neruda says no one will retrieve?
(a) His voice.
(b) His heart.
(c) His passion.
(d) His spirit.
11. Which country is NOT mentioned in Sonnet XXVI?
12. In Sonnet X ,what word does Neruda use to describe Matilde's beauty?
13. In Sonnet XL, what month does Neruda say "trembled like a butterfly?"
14. In Sonnet XVII, what does Neruda say about the way he loves Matilde?
(a) He loves her because he was born to do so.
(b) He loves her without knowing how or why he does so.
(c) He loves her because they were made for each other.
(d) He loves her because of her intense beauty.
15. What does Neruda look for in Sonnet XI?
(a) Matilde's home.
(b) Matilde's body.
(c) Isla Negra.
(d) A love letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Neruda state that he does not love Matilde in Sonnet XLIV?
2. In Sonnet XXIV, describes the clouds and what "triumphant" group of people?
3. In Sonnet XL, what is Matilde doing while Neruda watches her from his house?
4. In Sonnet VI, Neruda is lost in a forest and breaks off a twig, hoping for some moisture to ease his thirst. What effect does the twig's scent have on him?
5. In Sonnet XLV, what will Neruda do if Matilde ever leaves his side?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)