|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XXXVIII, what historic poet appears wearing his "quiet sandals?"
2. In Sonnet XIII, what phrase does Neruda insist does NOT describe Matilde?
(a) "Chilly silver."
(b) "Pale fire."
(c) "Burning gold."
(d) "Purple shadow."
3. In Sonnet XXXV, what flower does Neruda describe as having a "sad savage odor?"
4. In Sonnet XXV, which of Matilde's qualities does Neruda say "filled the autumn plentiful with gifts?"
(a) Her patience and her goodness.
(b) Her beauty and her poverty.
(c) Her pride and her beauty.
(d) Her humility and her serenity.
5. In Sonnet XXXII, what title does Neruda give to Matilde?
(a) The One Who Owns The World.
(b) The One Who Masters The House.
(c) The One Who Puts Things In Order.
(d) The One Who Awakens The Morning.
6. In Sonnet XXXI, where do Neruda and Matilde wander "like other country people?"
(a) The mountains.
(b) The city.
(c) The wilderness.
(d) The plains.
7. In Sonnet XXIX, where is Matilde born?
(a) The "dark North."
(b) The "quiet East."
(c) The "rich South."
(d) The "poor South."
8. In Sonnet XLI, what month does Neruda associate with "rough times?"
9. In Sonnet XXIV, describes the clouds and what "triumphant" group of people?
10. In Sonnet IV, what are some "Gifts from the earth" Neruda asks Matilde to remember?
(a) Smells, clay, weeds and roots, thorns.
(b) Jaguars, lakes, trees.
(c) Butterflies, trees, trails, animals.
(d) Mists, rain, the sun, sand, waves.
11. In Sonnet XV, Neruda says that Matilde is as firm as what two items?
(a) Rock and tree.
(b) Bread and wood.
(c) Flesh and bone.
(d) Mountain and boulder.
12. In Sonnet XVIII, Neruda says that Matilde moves through the mountains as swiftly as what two objects?
(a) A whisper and a prayer.
(b) A puma and a bird.
(c) A river and an arrow.
(d) A breeze and a stream.
13. In Sonnet XXXVI, what item does Neruda NOT name as one of Matilde's "weapons?"
14. In Sonnet XLVIII, what does Neruda say two happy lovers make?
(d) A song.
15. Why does Neruda state that he does not love Matilde in Sonnet XLIV?
(a) Because she is too complex to love fully.
(b) So he can love her more in the future.
(c) Because he can not grasp her beauty.
(d) So she can remain an individual.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet II, what ultimately brings Neruda and Matilde together?
2. In Sonnet XXXVIII, Neruda says that Matilde's house sounds like what object?
3. In Sonnet XIV, which of Matilde's features does Neruda say he does not have time to celebrate?
4. In Sonnet XXXVI, what does Neruda like watching Matilde do in her "miniature empire?"
5. In Sonnet XI, what predator does Neruda use to describe himself?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)