|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through LXI - LXX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XV, Neruda says that Matilde is as firm as what two items?
(a) Mountain and boulder.
(b) Rock and tree.
(c) Flesh and bone.
(d) Bread and wood.
2. In Sonnet IV, what are some "Gifts from the earth" Neruda asks Matilde to remember?
(a) Butterflies, trees, trails, animals.
(b) Mists, rain, the sun, sand, waves.
(c) Smells, clay, weeds and roots, thorns.
(d) Jaguars, lakes, trees.
3. In Sonnet XIX, what is Matilde doing before she returns to "the world full of salt and sun?"
(a) Hiking in the woods.
(b) Walking down a mountainside.
(c) Swimming in the ocean.
(d) Walking along the beach.
4. In Sonnet LIX, what does Neruda say is the only reason that people defame poets?
(a) The nature of poetry leaves it open to interpretation.
(b) Their work belongs to the people, not themselves.
(c) Poetry is not respected as an art form.
(d) They are dead and cannot defend themselves.
5. According to Sonnet LIX, what harasses "Poor unlucky poets?"
(a) LIfe and death.
(b) Nature and mankind.
(c) Happiness and sadness.
(d) Order and chaos.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XXXVIII, what historic poet appears wearing his "quiet sandals?"
2. In Sonnet XLII, what does Neruda say shields the earth from daylight?
3. In Sonnet III, what words does Neruda use to describe love?
4. In Sonnet XVIII, Neruda says that Matilde moves through the mountains as swiftly as what two objects?
5. In Sonnet L, what aspect of Matilde does Neruda say "drops like a hawk from a stony tower?"
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)