|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through LXI - LXX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnets I through X, what flower does Neruda include in his poems' images?
(a) An iris.
(b) A rose.
(c) A sunflower.
(d) A carnation.
2. In Sonnet XXXI, what two plants does Neruda use to crown Matilde?
(a) Vines and lilies.
(b) Laurel and oregano.
(c) Laurel and roses.
(d) Orange blossoms and lilies.
3. According to Sonnet LX, what is Neruda afraid has wounded Matilde?
(a) His own critics.
(b) His imperfections.
(c) His selfishness.
(d) Her insecurities.
4. In Sonnet LII, what does Matilde do that causes the whole earth to sing?
(a) She breathes.
(b) She sings.
(c) She dances.
(d) She walks.
5. Why does Neruda state that he does not love Matilde in Sonnet XLIV?
(a) So he can love her more in the future.
(b) So she can remain an individual.
(c) Because she is too complex to love fully.
(d) Because he can not grasp her beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XXIV, describes the clouds and what "triumphant" group of people?
2. Where is the pain Neruda experiences in Sonnet LXV?
3. In Sonnet XLI, what does Neruda hint will bring an end to the "rough times" he describes?
4. In Sonnet XV, what does Neruda say Matilde is made out of?
5. In Sonnet VII, Neruda's lover finally returns his love. What image does Neruda use to describe his feelings after his love is returned?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)