|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through XI - XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XIII, what phrase does Neruda insist does NOT describe Matilde?
(a) "Purple shadow."
(b) "Burning gold."
(c) "Chilly silver."
(d) "Pale fire."
2. In Sonnet XIV, which of Matilde's features does Neruda say he does not have time to celebrate?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her hips.
(d) Her neck.
3. In Sonnet XVIII, Neruda says that Matilde moves through the mountains as swiftly as what two objects?
(a) A whisper and a prayer.
(b) A puma and a bird.
(c) A river and an arrow.
(d) A breeze and a stream.
4. In Sonnet XX, what two opposing concepts does Neruda use to describe Matilde?
(a) Love and hate.
(b) Anger and happiness.
(c) Peace and chaos.
(d) Beauty and ugliness.
5. In Sonnet XIII, what food does Neruda use to describe Matilde?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XVII, what does Neruda say about the way he loves Matilde?
2. In Sonnet V, Neruda relates Matilde's hips to what object?
3. In Sonnet XI, what predator does Neruda use to describe himself?
4. In his dedication, Neruda says that poets before him have written sonnets whose rhymes are like crystal or cannon fire. What does Neruda say his poems are made of?
5. In Sonnet IV, what are some "Gifts from the earth" Neruda asks Matilde to remember?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)