|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through XI - XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet II, Neruda laments that his path to Matilde has been long and lonely. What two obstacles does Neruda say divide him and Matilde?
(a) Anger and loneliness.
(b) Trains and nations.
(c) Rivers and mountains.
(d) Oceans and ships.
2. In Sonnet XIX, what insect does Neruda watch and contemplate?
(a) A bee.
(b) A wasp.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A dragonfly.
3. In Sonnet XIV, which of Matilde's features does Neruda say he does not have time to celebrate?
(a) Her hips.
(b) Her neck.
(c) Her eyes.
(d) Her hair.
4. In Sonnet X, what object does Neruda NOT use as a metaphor for Matilde's beauty?
5. In his dedication, Neruda says that poets before him have written sonnets whose rhymes are like crystal or cannon fire. What does Neruda say his poems are made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XVII, what does Neruda say about the way he loves Matilde?
2. In Sonnet III, Neruda compares "Bitter love" to what two objects?
3. In Sonnet XVII, what does Neruda imply about the relationship between himself and Matilde?
4. In Sonnet XII, what does Neruda describe by relating it to a journey?
5. In Sonnet V, Neruda relates Matilde's hips to what object?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)