|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through XXI - XXX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XVII, what does Neruda say about the way he loves Matilde?
(a) He loves her without knowing how or why he does so.
(b) He loves her because they were made for each other.
(c) He loves her because of her intense beauty.
(d) He loves her because he was born to do so.
2. In Sonnet XXVII, Neruda describes Matilde as being as simple as what object?
(a) A hand.
(b) A tree.
(c) A pebble.
(d) A bowl.
3. In Sonnet XV, Neruda says that Matilde is as firm as what two items?
(a) Rock and tree.
(b) Flesh and bone.
(c) Mountain and boulder.
(d) Bread and wood.
4. In Sonnet I, what image does Neruda NOT use to describe Matilde's name?
(a) A castle.
(b) A rock.
(c) A plant.
(d) A wine.
5. In Sonnets I through X, what flower does Neruda include in his poems' images?
(a) A rose.
(b) A sunflower.
(c) A carnation.
(d) An iris.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet X, what is Matilde doing as Neruda admires her beauty?
2. In Sonnet XIV, what does Neruda say Italians call Matilde?
3. In Sonnet XXII, what image does Neruda NOT use to describe Matilde?
4. In Sonnet XX, what phrase does Neruda use to describe Matilde?
5. In his dedication, Neruda says that poets before him have written sonnets whose rhymes are like crystal or cannon fire. What does Neruda say his poems are made of?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)