|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through LI - LX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XLVIII, what does Neruda say two happy lovers make?
(b) A song.
2. In Sonnet XLV, what will Neruda do if Matilde ever leaves his side?
(a) Wander the earth looking for her.
(b) Become insane with grief.
(c) Die from loneliness.
(d) Stop writing poetry.
3. In Sonnet XIII, what phrase does Neruda insist does NOT describe Matilde?
(a) "Pale fire."
(b) "Purple shadow."
(c) "Burning gold."
(d) "Chilly silver."
4. In Sonnet XXVI, which of Matilde's qualities does Neruda say the earth has imitated?
(a) Her humility.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her pride.
(d) Her power.
5. In Sonnet XIX, what insect does Neruda watch and contemplate?
(a) A wasp.
(b) A bee.
(c) A dragonfly.
(d) A butterfly.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XXX, what is the lost object that Neruda says no one will retrieve?
2. What is the "huge and sorrowful family" described in Sonnet LV?
3. In Sonnet XIX, what image does Neruda NOT use to describe the insect he watches?
4. In Sonnet LVI, what does Neruda say is exhausted by his songs?
5. In Sonnet XIV, which of Matilde's features does Neruda say he does not have time to celebrate?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)