|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through LXXI - LXXX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sonnet XXVII, Neruda says that Matilde is "as blue as the night" of what country?
2. In Sonnet XXX, Neruda says that Matilde has hair as thick as what kind of tree?
(a) A pine.
(b) An oak.
(c) A larch.
(d) A banyan.
3. In Sonnet XXII, what image does Neruda NOT use to describe Matilde?
(a) A star.
(b) A queen.
(c) A wildfire.
(d) A guitar.
4. In Sonnet XXV, which of Matilde's qualities does Neruda say "filled the autumn plentiful with gifts?"
(a) Her pride and her beauty.
(b) Her patience and her goodness.
(c) Her humility and her serenity.
(d) Her beauty and her poverty.
5. In Sonnet LXXIX, what does Neruda describe as "a double drum in the forest, pounding against the thick wall of wet leaves?"
(a) His heart and Matilde's heart.
(b) His hatred for his critics.
(d) His mortality.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sonnet XXVI, which of Matilde's qualities does Neruda say the earth has imitated?
2. In Sonnet XXVIII, what sprouts in Neruda and Matilde's "stable place?"
3. In Sonnet XLV, what will Neruda do if Matilde ever leaves his side?
4. What concept of time does Neruda decide to focus on in Sonnet XLIX?
5. In Sonnet XLII, what does Neruda say shields the earth from daylight?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)