Separation of church and state Essay | Essay

This student essay consists of approximately 4 pages of analysis of I Affirm the Resolution, Democracy Is Best Served by Strict Separation of Church and State..
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)
Buy the Student Essay on I Affirm the Resolution, Democracy Is Best Served by Strict Separation of Church and State.

I Affirm the Resolution, Democracy Is Best Served by Strict Separation of Church and State.

Summary: Democracy is best served by strict separation of church and state. As state church combination continues, religious institutions necessarily will lose their autonomy, and, to some degree their religious identity because of quite normal operations of any bureaucratic arrangement in which one organization becomes dependent upon another for funding... Learning from Europe`s statistically pale religiosity, we find that government aid to religion is a misnomer. Because the essence of religion deals with the sacred rather than the temporal aspects of humanity, it differs in kind rather than degree from other aspects of life which government supports.
I affirm the resolution, democracy is best served by strict separation of church and state.

The resolution means that the requirements of the principles of equality and respect for the individual within the community are met most adequately when the institutions of religion and government are kept rigorously apart.

The value is Democracy. A good democratic policy has 2 criteria to serve democracy. First, it must be fair. Dahl notes that democracy differs from mob rule in that 51% of society is not allowed to enslave the other 49% for personal benefit. This is true because individual rights are a characteristic of democracy. Undue discrimination is therefore undemocratic. Second, the policy must meet the needs of representation. If any policy interferes strongly, and unnecessarily with the ability of citizens to rule themselves, it is tyrannical, and therefore undemocratic.

Contention I. Strict Separation of Church and State is most fair, because it...

(read more)

This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)
Buy the Student Essay on I Affirm the Resolution, Democracy Is Best Served by Strict Separation of Church and State.
Copyrights
BookRags
I Affirm the Resolution, Democracy Is Best Served by Strict Separation of Church and State. from BookRags. (c)2016 BookRags, Inc. All rights reserved.
Follow Us on Facebook