* 1 lb. Chops—2 1/2d. * * 1 oz. Butter—1d. * * Pepper and Salt * * 1/2 oz. Flour * * 1 gill Gravy—1/2d. * * Total Cost—4d. * * Time—One Hour * Trim some of the fat from the chops, put the butter into a saucepan, and when it is melted stir in the flour. Mix well, and pour in the gravy; stir until it boils, lay in the chops, and simmer very gently for one hour. Dish the chops in a circle, boil up and season the gravy, and pour over the stew.
* 1 Chop * * Pepper and Salt * * Total Cost—1d * * Time—One Hour * Choose a nice loin chop with an undercut. Rub a little butter in a soup plate, lay in the chop, cover with another plate, and stand in a cool oven for an hour. Put on a very hot plate and pour over the gravy which has run from it. Serve very hot.
* 1/2 lb. Cold Meat—1 1/2d. * * 2 oz. Rice * * Pepper and Salt—1/2d. * * 1 Egg—1d. * * Bread Crumbs * * Hot Fat—1/2d. * * Total Cost—31/2 d. * * Time—5 Minutes * Mince the meat finely; if there is any cold rice in the larder it will do; if not, boil some. Mix the rice and meat well together, season and flavour with a little nutmeg or lemon peel; if the meat is very lean add 2 oz fat or beef suet. Shape into cutlets, egg and bread crumb them, and fry in hot fat; dish in a circle and garnish with fried parsley.
* 3 Cold Potatoes—1/2d. * * 1/4 lb. Cold Meat—1d. * * Nutmeg, Pepper, and Salt * * 1 Egg * * Bread Crumbs * * Hot Fat—1 1/2d. * * Total Cost—3d. * * Time—5 Minutes. * Mash up the potatoes, and mince the meat; mix together,
season nicely, and mix into a paste with half the egg. Roll into sausages, egg and bread crumb, and fry in hot fat. Dish in a pyramid, and garnish with fried parsley.
* 2 lbs. Leg of Beef—5d. * * 1 Onion * * 1 Carrot * * 1 tablespoonful Vinegar * * 1 doz. Peppercorns—1/2d. * * Total Cost—51/2 d. * * Time—Three Hours * Cut the beef up in small pieces, dip them in the vinegar, and lay in a jar. Slice in the vegetables, add the peppercorns, and tie a paper over the top of the jar. Stand in a saucepan of boiling water for three hours; dish up the meat, garnish with the carrot, strain the gravy, season and flavour, boil up and pour over. Serve hot.
* 2 lbs. Rump Steak—10d. * * 1/4 lb. Veal Seasoning—2d. * * 12 Peppercorns * * 1/2 pint Stock * * 1 Onion * * 1 Carrot—1/2d. * * Total Cost—1s. O1/2 d. * * Time—One Hour and a Quarter * Cut up the steak into thin slices about three inches long and two broad, shape the seasoning into small corks, roll a piece up in each slice of steak, thread them on a skewer and lay them in a saucepan. Pour in the stock, add the peppercorns and vegetables, bring to the boil, simmer very gently for one hour and a half. Place the olives on a hot dish and draw out the skewers, remove the fat, boil up the gravy, season and flavour to taste, and pour round. Serve hot.