FISH A LA MAITRE D’HOTEL
* 2 Bream—8d. * * 1/2 pint White Sauce—2 1/1d. * * Lemon, Parsley, Pepper and Salt—1/2d. * * Total Cost—11d. * * Time—20 minutes * Fillet the fish, wash and trim them, roll them lightly up with the skin inside. Rub a baking sheet with some butter or dripping. Put on the rolls of fish close together. Squeeze over them some lemon juice, cover with a piece of buttered paper, and bake in the oven for twenty minutes or until they look milk white. Dish them carefully, make the white sauce by recipe given, season it with pepper, salt, and half a teaspoonful of lemon juice. Chop half a teaspoonful of parsley very finely and stir it in, pour over the fish, and serve.
FISH AND TOMATO SAUCE
* 2 Bream—8d. * * 1/2 pint of Tomato Sauce * * Salt, Pepper, and Parsley—3d. * * Total Cost—11d. * * Time—20 minutes * Fillet the bream; cut each fillet into two pieces, wash and trim them. Make some tomato sauce by recipe given. Butter a pie dish, lay in the fillets, and season them; pour over the sauce, and bake in a moderate oven for twenty minutes. Garnish with a little chopped parsley, and serve in the dish in which they were cooked.
* 1 bottle Oysters—1s. * * 1 oz. Butter—1d. * * 1/2 pint Milk * * 1/2 oz. Flour—1d. * * Pepper, Salt, and Lemon Juice—1/2d. * * Total Cost—1s. 2 1/2 d. * * Time—5 Minutes * Make a sauce by directions given, using a little of the oyster liquor mixed with the milk; flavour with salt and pepper, and a little nutmeg and lemon juice. Stir in the oysters and simmer for five minutes, it is then ready to serve.
* 1 bottle of Oysters—1s. * * 1/2 pint of Milk—1d. * * 6 Soda Biscuits * * 1 oz. Butter * * Pepper and Salt—1 1/2d * * Total Cost—1s. 2 1/2 d. * * Time—5 Minutes * Put the milk and butter into a saucepan; when it boils put in the oysters and simmer for five minutes. Season with pepper and salt; break up the biscuits and throw them it. Boil up and pour into a deep dish, and it is ready to serve.
FISH AND BUTTER SAUCE
* 3 Whiting or Bream—1s. * * 1 1/2 oz. Butter * * 1 teaspoonful Parsley, Pepper and Salt 1 1/2d. * * Total Cost—1s 1 1/2d. * * Time—Three-quarters of an Hour. * Fillet the fish and cut them into strips, wash them well in cold water and dry in a cloth; twist them round, and lay in a buttered soup plate, sprinkle with white pepper and salt, and chopped parsley. Put in the rest of the butter, cover with another soup plate, and stand over a saucepan of boiling water for three-quarters of an hour; reserve the plates once while it is cooking, place in a hot dish, and pour over it the butter and parsley in which it was cooked.