The Wandering Jew — Volume 05 eBook

This eBook from the Gutenberg Project consists of approximately 114 pages of information about The Wandering Jew Volume 05.

[11] This was an idle fear, for we read in the Constitutionnel, Feb. 1st 1832, as follows:  “When in 1822, M. de Corbiere abruptly abolished that splendid Normal School, which, during its few years’ existence, had called forth or developed such a variety of talent, it was decided, as some compensation, that a house in the Rue des Postes should be purchased, where the congregation of the Holy Ghost should be located and endowed.  The Minister of Marine supplied the funds for this purpose, and its management was placed at the disposal of the Society, which then reigned over France.  From that period it has held quiet possession of the place, which at once became a sort of house of entertainment, where Jesuitism sheltered, and provided for, the numerous novitiates that flocked from all parts of the country, to receive instructions from Father Ronsin.  Matters were in this state when the Revolution of July broke out, which threatened to deprive the Society of this establishment.  But it will hardly be believed; this was not done.  It is true that they suppressed their practice, but they left them in possession of the house in the Rue des Postes; and to this very day, the 31st of January, 1832, the members of the Sacred Heart are housed at the expense of government, during the whole of which time the Normal School has been without a shelter—­and on its reorganization, thrust into a dirty hole, in a narrow corner of the College of Louis the Great.”

The above appeared in the Constitutionnel, respecting the house in the Rue des Posses.  We are certainly ignorant as to the nature of the transactions, since that period, that have taken place between the reverend fathers and the government; but we read further, in a recently published article that appeared in a journal, in reference to the Society of Jesus, that the house in the Rue des Postes, still forms a part of their landed property.  We will here give some portions of the article in question.

“The following is a list of the property belonging to this branch of
Jesuits: 
                                          Fr.
House in the Rue de Postes, worth about 500,000
One in the Rue de Sevres, estimated at 300,000
Farm, two leagues from Paris . . . . .150,000
House and church at Bourges . . . . . 100,000
Notre Dame de Liesse, donation in 1843 60,000
Saint Acheul, House for Novitiates . . 400,000
Nantes, a house . . . . . . . . . . .100,000
Quimper, ditto . . . . . . . . . . . 40,000
Laval, house and church . . . . . . 150,000
Rennes, a house . . . . . . . . . . 20,000
Vannes, ditto . . . . . . . . . . . 20,000
Metz, ditto . . . . . . . . . . . . 40,000
Strasbourg . . . . . . . . . . . . 60,000
Rouen, ditto . . . . . . . . . . . 15,000

Copyrights
Project Gutenberg
The Wandering Jew — Volume 05 from Project Gutenberg. Public domain.
Follow Us on Facebook