Don Juan Cereso Salamanca
[In the margin: “This letter is accompanied by the plans of the old and the new city of Manila.”]
There is but little for me to mention in ecclesiastical matters; for the orders are conducting themselves in an exemplary manner, except that they often usurp the royal jurisdiction, under pretext of defending the natives; and they take away the authority from the alcaldes-mayor, so that nothing that the latter order is carried out, so that sometimes a layman is obeyed better than they. It is advisable to correct this, and to order that the bishops live in their dioceses, and not in this city. 
The bishop of Santisimo Nombre de Jesus is governing this metropolitan see during the vacancy. He is an apostolic man. I have consulted with him in regard to the appointments for the prebends that have become vacant by the death of the archdean and precentor. The prebends have only been changed by promotion; and the only one to enter new is Don Juan de Olaso Aclotequi, whom—because of his great virtue, and because he is the uncle of Don Lorenzo Olasso, master-of-camp of these islands and formerly captain-general of them—I presented as treasurer. He had before been canon. With that this holy church is well administered, and has good subjects. In particular, the bachelor, Pedro Diaz de la Rivera, is considered a good ecclesiastic; and his gray hairs are worthy of whatever favor your Majesty will be pleased to show him. May our Lord preserve the royal person of your Majesty, as is necessary to us your vassals. Manila, August 10, 1634.
Don Juan Cereso Salamanca
The following documents are obtained from MSS. in the Archivo general de Indias, Sevilla:
1. Letter from bishop of Cebu.—“Simancas—Secular; Audiencia de Filipinas; cartas y espedientes de los obispos sufraganeos de Manila; anos de 1598 a 1698; est. 68, caj. 1, leg. 34.”
2. Letters from Tavora.—“Simancas—Secular; Audiencia de Filipinas; cartas y espedientes del gobernador de Filipinas vistos en el Consejo; anos de 1629 a 1639; est. 67, caj. 6, leg. 8.”
3. Letter from cabildo.—“Simancas—Eclesiastico; Audiencia de Filipinas; cartas y expedientes del cabildo eclesiastico de Filipinas vistos en el Consejo; anos de 1568 a 1670; est. 68, caj. 1, leg. 35.”
4. Papal bull.—“Simancas—Eclesiastico; Audiencia de Filipinas; cartas y espedientes de religiosos misioneros de Filipinas vistos en el Consejo; anos de 1617 a 1642; est. 68, caj. 1, leg. 38.”
5. Letters from Salamanca, 1633 and 1634.—The same as No. 2.
6. Report of archbishop on bakery.—“Simancas—Eclesiastico; Audiencia de Filipinas; cartas y espedientes de los arzobispos de Manila; anos de 1579 a 1697; est. 68, caj. 1, leg. 32.”