1. The suffix _-i_, added to a noun stem, forms generally a neuter verb.
Ex. abe, work, abi, to work; iso(ne), smoke, isoni, to give forth smoke; kese, a clean vegetable, kesi, to clean vegetables.
2. The suffix _-tede_, added to a noun stem, forms usually an active verb.
Ex. foye, ashes, foitede, to cook in ashes; gurube, neck, gurutede, to hang at the neck.
3. The suffix of manner defining the verb, is formed by adding the adjective with the final syllable changed to _-i_.
Note (1). The suffix of manner is always added to the infinitive form of the preceding verb.
(2). In the negative these compound verbs are considered a single word.
Ex. te, say, ifane, good, tam’ ifani, to say well. i, do, koye, bad, i’koi, to do badly. ilele, cook, akane, small, ilam’akani, to half-cook.
4. The suffix _-matede_ appears to have a causative signification.
Ex. ga koda (perhaps the past of kodede,) pierced, komatede, to pierce (of a man); ga siuda, extinguished, siumatede, to extinguish.
Note. This suffix appears in some examples as a separate verb in the same sense.
Ex. yuv’ olola mata, warm up the water; indi koi matatsi, the knife will become bad.
The negative is not known.
5. The suffixes _-meme_ and _-ngo_ are added to neuter verbs. The first has an active meaning, the second is passive.
Ex. yu, to be upright, yuma, to put upright, yungo, to be upright. yari(?), yarima, to hang, yaringo, to be hanging.
Note (1). Meme is regularly conjugated; _-ngo_ is imperfectly known.
(2). Negative forms are me yumatsi, will not place upright, mi yaringo, not hanging.
6. The auxiliary verbs, except ga, may perhaps be included among the suffixes (see p. 322, VIII.).
X. Verbal Prefixes.
The prefix ya- renders a neuter verb active or causative.
Ex. yaigege, to go down, yeyaigege, to carry down. faikadede, to come back, yefaika(dede), to give back. yu, to stand up, yeyu, to set up.
XI. Irregular Verbs.
1. Many verbs are irregular in the imperative.
angege, imperat. ange, go. atede, imperat. ade, kindle, burn. ende, imperat. ende, undo. etsie, imperat. etsie, come up (ladder). faikadede, imperat. faika(dede), go back. idede, imperat. de, gather, pluck. isie, imperat. isia, follow; itede, imperat. ide, sting, bite. itulili, imperat. itu(li), split. ivori, imperat. ivo(ri), wipe. kosisi, imperat. kose, turn. telele, imperat. te(le), come. yelele, imperat. ye(le), call.